Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Vietnam War Campaign" - Official Thread
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, You will still get a Sidewinder up your tailpipe from my F-4 :-) :-)

"I know you want to, but do you have what it takes?
Do you have the guts, Do you feel lucky..... Punk!
Come on, Make My Day!"

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Well, I had to give you a fighting chance, Eh? :-)

Well, Here´s my kit;

And the contents of the box;

Here´s the AM parts;

I "started" the build by removing all casting lugs from the resin parts and cutting off some plastic in the forward fuselage.

Those sets from Cutting Edge is really nice and raises the detail tremendously in the cockpit.
Eduards etch set consists of three (!) brass frets with a zillion parts!

A new cockpit, complete with seat, parts for the canopy, landing gears and engine is also included.

Cheers!

Stefan E
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
Great work on the camo scheme Sam,,did you spray it freehand?
Stefan,,,3 frets of PE!,,,my mind turned to glue when I read that..Good Luck!!!
Nige
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
All right I’m in. My entry will be the 1/35th Trumpeter CH-47A. My plans are to turn it into a Guns-a-Go Go gunship. I have a lot of work ahead of me with this one, and 5 months left to go

The paint bottle is to show it's massive size, and I'm going to see if I'm able to build it by taking the rotors on and off for shelf saving space.

Joe
Intruderbass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC

I am in!

I am building UH-1C Huey (1/35 MRC kit)
68th AHC (1968)
tail number 59487
call sign "Mustang 6"

Here are some relativly "old" pics of my bird

Thanks

Andy
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
Finished
F-100 Super Sabre, 416 TFS, 37th TFW, Phu Cat. Armed with M117 bombs and BLU-27 Napalm tanks.
Andy

The underwing bomb says " Tet This" .
A build thread can be found here .
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work on the camo scheme Sam,,did you spray it freehand?

Thanks Nigel I did spray it freehand, dont think my eyes have fully recovered yet after the hour and a half it took to do the lines. :-)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:13 PM UTC
Wow, lots of progress in the last few days. That 1/35 Chinnook and UH-1 will be stunning I am sure.

I am also really looking forward to take on that MiG wannabe with a Swedish pilot :-) :-)

Great F-100 I must say.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also really looking forward to take on that MiG wannabe with a Swedish pilot :-) :-)

WHAT!? A SWEDE in a MIG! I better get my skates on. Maybe I'm as lucky as Ltn C. Johnson from VA-25 and nail a MIG too..... :-)

Credit: The Official Website of the A-1 Skyraider Association

Imagine the wonderful sound if they would fire all these up at the same time.....
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi all Is there a time limit on the campaign, I would like to enter my 105D thunderchief but Im a slow builder and inexperienced on aircraft, Ive just sent off for the white ensign paints for that era,and I was wondering if the legend cockpit is worth getting.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all Is there a time limit on the campaign, I would like to enter my 105D thunderchief but Im a slow builder and inexperienced on aircraft, Ive just sent off for the white ensign paints for that era,and I was wondering if the legend cockpit is worth getting.

Well, You are welcome to join. The time limit is 30th June.
However, I will be pretty flexible with the finish date, because we had some start up problems with the campaign page at this site. So I am willing to extent for a maximum of another month if you need it
Intruderbass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:46 AM UTC
My UH-1C is done now!
Since there is a lot of time till the compaign is over I might be able to build something else

but for now - my 8-month project is finaly complete.

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My UH-1C is done now!
Since there is a lot of time till the compaign is over I might be able to build something else
but for now - my 8-month project is finaly complete.

Andy

Hi Andy

First of all. It is a great build you have there. It is a work of art IMO with all those details. I am really glad you entered it into the campaign.

However, the rules for campaigns is that the model entered should be a "new" project, not something started 6-7 months prior to the start of the campaign. I can see that you are new to all this and did not know the rules.
I need to be consistent as a campaign leader and cannot avard a ribbon for a project started that long before the start of the campaign. Had it only been a couple of weeks, no problem, but not 6-7 months. I feel bad about this - especially as your project is truly stunning and extremely well detailed - but I also feel I need to be consistent. I am very sorry about this. I hope you will find the time to enter something else. Maybe just a small 1/72 fighter.

Under all circumstances: thank you for sharing your great work and I truly hope you will find the time and effort to join something else.

I really feel sorry about this - I guess it is not always funny to be a campaign leader.
Intruderbass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:49 PM UTC
Its all good!

I showed pics here not for winning the "grand prize" or whatever))

Andy

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Its all good!

I showed pics here not for winning the "grand prize" or whatever))

Andy

Great! Glad to hear that.
lavgnr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Jesper, I'm joining up as I've just come from the hobby shop with Trumpy's CH-47A Chinook in 1/35... I wanted to start it right now so I'll do it up OOB in 1st Air Cav livery that's included. I'm a little hesitant to go up beside Joe because I know that he'll turn his into something wonderful, but I love these things and just want to have fun with it.
Andy, that's a fantastic Huey!

Cheers,
Mike

EDIT- By the decals, mine will be from B Company, 228 Assault Support Helicopter Battalion, the same organization that hosted the Guns-A-Go-Go bunch. Joe, if you haven't seen this site: http://webpages.charter.net/228th/ and midway down the page are the ACH variants.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hey thanks Mike, yeah I've been to the site. I book marked the Guns a Go Go for reference. I won't be starting for another month or so, maybe we can share Ideas with each other as well with the members here. I'm still after reference on replacing the rear landing gear.

Question, you planning on an interior with troops seats and so on.

Joe
lavgnr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question, you planning on an interior with troops seats and so on.

Hey Joe, that question made me realize that I should have planned a little better! I've only been in one Chinook, and I think that it used red webbing for troop seats. If I can find pictures or drawings, I'll do the seats. Know where I can find them? I'll keep you posted.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jesper, I'm joining up as I've just come from the hobby shop with Trumpy's CH-47A Chinook in 1/35... I wanted to start it right now so I'll do it up OOB in 1st Air Cav livery that's included.

Welcome on board you are added to the participants list. Remember also to sign up under "campaigns" on this forum.
lavgnr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Done. I'm working on the cockpit, and have found not only diagrams and pictures of the red webbing troopseats, but a picture from Vietnam showing the same seats (folded up alongside some cows, mind you) so yes, I'm doing the seats... wish me luck!
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I started working on my model last Friday. I sanded down the seems (which were not that bad) and used a very small amount of putty. I'm almost ready for primer. It's the 1/48th Monogram F-104C STARFIGHTER and will done in the markings of the 435th TFS Udorn Royal Air Base, Thailand 1967-68.

Sincerely,
Brian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:18 PM UTC
That looks great, Brian Good to have a Star fighter aboard.

Are you planning any load for it or will it be with empty stores?
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 06:55 PM UTC
Hello Jesper,

I going to add the two sidewinder missiles that came in the kit. From what I read about 435 TFS the aircraft were at first used for airbase defense against potential attack from North Vietnam aircraft. That did not happen and later they also took on ground support roles as well.

Sincerely,
Brian
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:29 PM UTC
Some great progress on the entries so far guys.
Andy (Intruderbass), that Huey is amazing, the detail is incredible.
Brian, the 1/48 Monogram Starfighter, has it got recessed or raised panel lines. All of the Monogram "Century series" fighters they have done have had raised panel lines, but I haven't that one in my stash.
Andy
propnut_66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi folks,I just enlisted and plan to build a model for which I was nick-named by a fellow modeler in Tennessee - the SLUFF. I found a 72nd kit in my stash with late Nam camo by Italiari. so far it looks like it will be a fairly easy build. My second choice would be an F-4 if the SLUFF crashes and burns. One can never have too many Phantoms!
Looking foreward to seeing the other entries. I am continually overwhelmed by the talent displayed on this web site.
Tally Ho
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian, the 1/48 Monogram Starfighter, has it got recessed or raised panel lines. All of the Monogram "Century series" fighters they have done have had raised panel lines, but I haven't that one in my stash.
Andy

Hello Andy,

Yes the kit has raised panel lines but I'm not concerned. I think I have a good system (after building the 1/72 Italeri F-14 Tomcat for the 'Duel') of making the most of the kit. I hope everyone will be pleased with the results when finished.

Sincerely,
Brian