Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Vietnam War Campaign" - Official Thread
Removed by original poster on 02/12/07 - 00:57:38 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 02/12/07 - 01:02:36 (GMT).
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hi

Progress Pics on the Huey so far

Just the interior done so far.

The kit is circa 1977, so leaves a bit to be desired with regard to fit and ejection pin marks, best buy shares in filler :-)

Andy
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
Well I got my Mig finished today. I will get some better pics of it next time there's a good day.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Nice one Sam!
Some great entries coming in and lots of progress being made guys and girls.
Nice to see such a variety of subject matter.Its all shaping up to be a fabulous campaign and the end portfolio should make a feature to be proud of.
Nige.
Just over a week to go and I can start building!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
@Andy: that is coming along very good. Looking forward to see your further work

@Camogirl: great work. It is a real beauty. I have added you to the list of finished entries. Thanks for participating.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Camogirl: great work. It is a real beauty. I have added you to the list of finished entries. Thanks for participating.

Thanks. Thats ok enjoyed taking part and trying out spraying a new camo scheme. One campaign down, three more to go.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi all

This will be the first time I've posted on this campaign thread even though I've been working on my kit since the start of the campaign. I've finished 1 helo and 1 Stuka for other campaigns while working on my Vietnam entry.
My entry is the Classic Airframes F-5 Freedom Fighter in 1/48 scale. I've spent roughly 50 hours on this kit as of now and I'm still not ready for paint yet. Nothing.....and I mean nothing fits right and most of my time thusfar has been spent sanding, filling, and fitting. I'll admitt that this particular kit is probably above my skill level but I'm going to continue taking my time and try to do it right. Already I can say that even though this kit has given me loads of trouble, it has really challenged me and should turn out to be a real beauty.
Here is a pic of the resin pieces of the kit. Soon as I get her ready for a coat of primer I'll post another pic.

By the way, this kit came with markings for 3 national air forces, none of which is the U.S. If anyone has a spare sheet for this kit in U.S. markings from the Vietnam era I'd like to work out some kind of trade possibley.
Thanks for looking
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC
Further Interior shots.

A wash of burnt seinna has been applied to dirty up the interior, and then dull coted.

Interior and engine to be put in the two fuselage halves soon.

Regards

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
@Hermon: looks good with the resin office. Look forward to a few more close ups when you start painting it. If this freedom fighter will be anything close to your Stuka, it will be a great addition to the campaign. Maybe this will also get its own photo feature

@Andy: very nice effect on the cockpit with the oil paint.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hi All!

@Sam; Your Mig looks really cool, and ready for a hard mission "down south"!
Great build!

@Andy (Betheyn); Your Hun looks a little too fat and overloaded to be dangerous for the Migs! :-) :-) :-)
Really great build and your weathering is perfect, not overdone but quite realistic!
Hats off!

There are so many great builds so i can´t comment on all!
Keep up the good work everybody!

I have spent quite some time painting and building my
Mig-17.

There were quite a lot of resin pieces when I had them cleaned up;

The office and seat are really well detailed pieces of resin;

When I removed the casting lug from the seat i accidently broke trough the bottom of the seatpan.
I fixed this with a piece of Tamiya tape on the bottom and pouring super-glue from above.
Looks a bit rough, but won´t be visible when painted.

This kit have a really bad reputation, beeing unbuildable and so forth.
To prevent nasty surprises, I taped all major fuselage and wing parts together for a first fit-check;

I had to do some plastic surgery to get the front splitter part to fit, but nothing major.

This first check showed a surprisingly good fit of all parts, but there will be need for filler along the most seams.

This is the cockpit tub halfway trough painting;

More pics coming soon!

Cheers!

Stefan E
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:27 AM UTC
Finally,,after a 3 month enforced layoff due to work and moving house,,Ive touched plastic again
Ive made a start on my 1:72 Bird Dog tonight.No photos yet,,(I cant find my camera amongst all these cardboard boxes )
I'll post progress shots as soon as I can.
Damn,,it feels good to be building again!!
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally,,after a 3 month enforced layoff due to work and moving house,,Ive touched plastic again
Ive made a start on my 1:72 Bird Dog tonight.No photos yet,,(I cant find my camera amongst all these cardboard boxes )
I'll post progress shots as soon as I can.
Damn,,it feels good to be building again!!
Nige

Good to have you back, Nige Looking forward to see some pictures when you get settled in the new place.
We could use some spotter aircraft to find the enemy in the jungle.

BTW: Congratulations on your new house

@Stefan: really nice progress. The cockpit seems to be coming along nicely. From your pictures the fit looks alright on the MiG-17. Thanks for sharing.
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I am a relative newbie to all this, but it just keeps on inspiring me

I am already signed up and enjoying the Guardian Angel Campaign, so have now signed up to this the Vietnam War Campaign too .

Looking around for inspiration, I have just located one of my fav helo's the OH-6 Cayuse.

I cannot find any kits in UK, ( I already have the Little Bird version on the shelf) but have now found a Cayuse in a German model store, so have ordered it

More pics when it arrives, glad to be aboard.

Steve :-)

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

I am a relative newbie to all this, but it just keeps on inspiring me

I am already signed up and enjoying the Guardian Angel Campaign, so have now signed up to this the Vietnam War Campaign too .

Looking around for inspiration, I have just located one of my fav helo's the OH-6 Cayuse.

Steve :-)

Welcome onboard

Very cool choice. I have wanted to do one of these for years, but never got around to it. I guess they would be a little scarce in the market by now.
I have used the crew for a Huey some years back. Pretty cool and adds a nice "in action" effect to the chopper.
bounce19712
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
Salute!!

well...jumping in with both feet...I've signed up for the Vietnam Campaign this morning....

I'm not sure yet what to build but you can bet it's going to be an eggbeater...(helo).

now I've got a workbench to shift into polystyrene mode...

Andy "Intruderbass" with the Huey...that is a very nice instrument panel....I can see each graduation and line on each dial......so I've just checked the maintenance book and it's not red X'ed so I'm initiating starting procedure....can you clear the tail rotor please and gimme a pull on the main rotor while yer at it.....and stand by with that extinguisher in case we hot start......thanks...heheh

tell us about it! tell us about it!
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi all, Ive made a bit of a cock up on my legend cockpit for my F105, I will have to do a dip and strip on it and being a slow builder and a newbie to aircraft would it be ok to change my entry I thought the Italieri B26Kcounter Invader would be nice,would this kit be ok because I believe the cockpit is from another era and to be honest I dont fancy messing with any more A.M.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 03:36 PM UTC
My first progress report on an aircraft kit since November
Been having lots of fun on my Bird Dog the last couple of days.
Today Im doing the seam lines,,hmm,,,my favourite and masking the glass ready for adding the wings and tail.Hopefully get some primer on the "Dawg" tonight or tomorrow and then it should be quick sprint to the finish.
For a 1973 kit its not too bad.Its going to need a few dabs of filler,the cockpit glass is probably about 6 feet thick if scaled up to 1:1 but hey!,.,Im building again,and a quick little kit like this is an ideal start to get myself back into the swing of things before I move onto the next project.

Nige
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi all!

I have made some progress on my MiG-17 build, and as I don´t want to "crowd up" this tread too much, I have started a new one here;

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/94282&page=1

Beware, soon I will make the skies a dangerous place for the unweary!

:-) :-)

Cheers!

Stefan E
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 08:48 PM UTC
Nige

Great to see progress being made. How did the Luftwaffe figure come out?

My latest progress shots

Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi Andy.
Good looking Huey.Its really coming together.
Spent a good while working on the badly fitting undersection of the wings on the bird dog but Im getting there slowly,,as usual.
The figure hasnt had any work done on it since the last post on the Historicus Forum.
Nige
bounce19712
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:47 AM UTC
Well....yesterday's newspaper and tonight's News cast has made my decision very simple for choosing a model for the Vietnam Campaign.

afterall...how many Medal of Honor winners do you know of that are still alive and can be associated with an aviation vehicle?..the list is short I'm sure..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254279,00.html

anyone who would like to jump on board the UH-1D train.....I would be more than happy to start compiling pics and data for sharing.

http://www.xav8er.com/

anyone know what's the best UH-1D model manufacturer? Panda?

anyways....something more interesting after a bit of googling is the blue triangle that is painted on the door of the 229ths Hueys....I think it's what author Robert Mason of ChickenHawk book had on his huey as well.....(which is an awesome biography / book about slick pilot)...so....wow!!

edit: whoops....he had a blue square on the door of his huey

I hear the whop whop whop of those 2 foot wide rotor blades a comin'.....

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the Italieri B26Kcounter Invader would be nice,would this kit be ok because I believe the cockpit is from another era and to be honest I dont fancy messing with any more A.M.

Sure, no problem. I will not be checking up on dials in the cockpit I have you on the participants list with the Italieri B26K counter Invader. It is a really cool aircraft and I have been tempted by it many times, but have so far resisted :-)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Salute!!

well...jumping in with both feet...I've signed up for the Vietnam Campaign this morning....

Welcome onboard! We could use some airlift I have you signed up for an UH-1D.

Looking forward to see more

@Andy and Nigel: Looks good. Fast progress on these kits.
bounce19712
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 02:56 PM UTC
after looking at my unbuilt huey collection...I see the finest detailing by manufacturer easily goes to MRC with their C model gunships in 1/35....

followed by the old Revell's in 1/32

and Panda is way in the back.....behind the snap-tites.....jeez...they used probably half the rivets on the air frames....compared to the others....

anyone know of any others???