Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Part two Down low tank busting official tread
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A Most Excellent FW. Great job on that one.

Thank you Carl! I am quite pleased with it too...though I exaggerated the exhaust areas a bit as I had a little accident with my air brush ... the nozzle broke

best wishes

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 08:40 AM UTC
I got my P-39 finished! ../

Now for the last pic, cover your eyes if you don't want them ruined by the sight of a slightly crooked main landing gear. I dryfitted them several times in the building phase and they fit well. But during the final assembly, they didn't feel like lining up for some reason beyond me. I got them to settle a little better, but it's still there if you look at the model on it's back.
So, are you ready? Here it is:

I think it came out pretty good, one of my best, if not the best effort so far if I didn't pull off a few stupid mistakes. Like the wrong type of stencil decals, unpainted back of the landing light, forgetting to paint the backs of the cockpit doors prior to priming, and the landing gear legs...
Well, what do you think?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got my P-39 finished!
I think it came out pretty good, one of my best, if not the best effort so far if I didn't pull off a few stupid mistakes. Like the wrong type of stencil decals, unpainted back of the landing light, forgetting to paint the backs of the cockpit doors prior to priming, and the landing gear legs...
Well, what do you think?

I think you are right. It came out pretty good. This has always been one of my favorites. I don't know why I never made one. I don't even have one in my stash.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
It looks really good. I wish my P-51 came out like this...
(This is a weird looking airplane with the side-doors. I have to get one, too.)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it came out pretty good

Hi Eetu!

I agree your P-39 is looking very good and it motivates me to do one for the next Pacific Campaign.

As for the little mistakes, they don't really appear on the pics so don't be too hard on yourself. Would you mind if I use the pictures for an On-Display? I could download them directly from here. Maybe you could add some more "overall" shoots (entire plane).

Anyway, congratulations for a great entry!

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the compliments!
You're right about the landing gear, it doesn't look bad when sitting on it naturally. I was just surprised they didn't line up straight although they did while dryfitting earlier on. Well, what do we learn from this? Always dryfit. And if you think you have done that and the part lines up right, do it again.

Jean-luc, having it on-display would be awesome. Feel free to copy those pics for it. As for the additional overall shots, I'll take a few more and post them here. Is that okay?

That thunderbolt of mine is coming along really well, I should have it finished in a couple of days if I don't start lazing around too much.
Here's an overall shot of it, with paint chipping done with citadell's boltgun metal and the pastel dust weathering brushed on along panel lines and other details.

I never quite got the hang apply-wipe-away type of washes done with acrylics. They seem to either come off completely, or stick to the surface like leprosy. This method works perfectly for me. Pastel dust is brushed on flat-coated surfaces, then excess is wiped off or manipulated as you like with water and q-tips (or brushes, tissue paper or whatever suits you). The best thing about pastels is that they're dry, they don't stick to the surface like paint does. If you don't like they effect, wash it off. Also, fixing blotches and blemishes later is easy since it's not paint.
But enough talking, I'll go and take a few more pictures of my P-39.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:51 PM UTC
Here's some more overall pics you asked for.

(sorry, I had to sneak in one more head-on view to better show the new nose cannon)

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the additional overall shots, I'll take a few more and post them here. Is that okay

Hi again Eetu!

That's perfect, thanks a lot!

The P-47 looks good too, but the french mecanics are less serious than the american ones! they left a very dirty plane!

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As for the additional overall shots, I'll take a few more and post them here. Is that okay

Hi again Eetu!

That's perfect, thanks a lot!

The P-47 looks good too, but the french mecanics are less serious than the american ones! they left a very dirty plane!

Jean-Luc

Don't worry, most of that stuff will come off when I start the treatment with water and q-tips.
But hey, I didn't quite realized it, but that almost finished! All there's left to do is wipe of the excess wash and give it another flat coat to hold the pastel dust . Then it's just final assembly, peeling off the masks and attaching the antenna wire.
Btw, how would you do that? On this plane, there's no hole I could pull the wire through to tighthen it.
It just runs from the root of the antenna to the horizontal stabilizer. I was thinking about making a hole in either place, gluing one end of the wire to it, then pulling it tight against the other spot and introducing super glue and accerelator to it.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...and attaching the antenna wire.
Btw, how would you do that? On this plane, there's no hole I could pull the wire through to tighthen it.
It just runs from the root of the antenna to the horizontal stabilizer. I was thinking about making a hole in either place, gluing one end of the wire to it, then pulling it tight against the other spot and introducing super glue and accerelator to it.

Hi again Eetu!

In this case I would only drill a hole in the horizontal stabilizer and glue the wire in it using super glue. Once dry, I would place the wire on the top of the antenna, put some glue on it and wait another few minutes. Finally cut off the excess wire and hide the resulting attachment with a small dab of white glue.

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Eetu:

I followed this one with interest. You have build a very nice P 39. I specially like the way the panel lines are enhaced. Congratulations.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In this case I would only drill a hole in the horizontal stabilizer and glue the wire in it using super glue. Once dry, I would place the wire on the top of the antenna, put some glue on it and wait another few minutes. Finally cut off the excess wire and hide the resulting attachment with a small dab of white glue.

That's what I would usually do, but on this one the wire doesn't attach to the top of the antenna like on most planes, but to the fuselage near the base of the mast. Normally I would do just like you adviced (I like to make a little groove on top of the mast whenever possible to make it easier to hold the wire in place), but this is trickier. If I had thought of this beforehand, I could have left the front part of the fuselage off, so I could insert the wire material through a hole in the fuselage, and out in the front and pull it tight.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Here's my the T-bolt looks after wiping off excess pastel dust:

I may still have to do some fine tuning before spraying on the flat coat, but that's about how it will look in the end. Of course, the flat coat will tone down the effect a little, depending on the heaviness of the coat.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi Eetu, Great "Devastating Devil"! The panel lines/details are very nicely done.
I think you are being a little hard on yourself. I would love to be able to build to your standard. However, it is good always going for an even higher standard. A great entry into the campaign.

The P-47 is coming along nicely - and fast It will be another great entry from you.

Thanks for participating
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

Nice to see you are having quite a super show here. I am new to your forum, so I beg forgiveness if I may mistake on the rules or the expressions.

I humbly present you my latest build, the "OLE II", P-51 B Mustang, 1/48, Tamiya.

Not very much sweat, I am new to the hobby (less than 2 years of building) and I still have more to learn.

I hope you will like it, and I hope it fits into the campaign description

Sorry, but those are the only two good pictures I manage to make.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:01 PM UTC
My second entry's done.
While I didn't originally plan to do the same kind of airbrushed weathering like Nigel on his superb razorback thunderbolt, fearing I didn't have the skills to do it properly yet, I ended up doing it anyway. And to my surprise, it came out pretty good, I think.
Wanna know how I ended doing it?
After the final flat coat, some spots got a little bit too much attention and developed some slight whitish spots. I thought I could remedy the situation by carefully wiping the problem areas with a q-tip moistened in xtracrylics thinner. It did actually work on two spots, but on other two I ended up doing it too much and it removed too much of the flat coat, eating through until the greyish spots were the primer showing up!
I touched up the spots with the same OD as the rest of the plane, but of course it didn't look at all the same (because of the gloss coat, weathering and the final flat treatment). I didn't want to so far for hiding the touch-ups, so I disguised them as differently weathered surface by spraying some panels with the OD paint I already had in my airbrush. The results were so good that I'll definately use this technique with other models in the future.
But enough of my rambling, here's the model:

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Gabriel, Welcome onboard. Your P-51 definently qualifies. I assume that it is been build within the last couple of months when you write it is your latest build. Kits have to be build within the timeframe of the campaign to qualify. Remember to upload a couple of pictures of your build in the campaign gallery here: Down Low Gallery

Hi Eetu, Great to see another entry into the campaign. However, I only see 12,7mm MGs on the P-47. The bomb looks a lot like a drop tank In its current state it does not qualify It has to have bombs, rockets, 30mm+ cannons or similar to qualify for the campaign. Otherwise, it cannot knock out tanks. You could add a bomb instead of the drop tank or something like that to make it qualify...... It could be great to have it in the campaign as it is a really beautiful build.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi Gabriel:

Welcome aboard. Great P 51B you have there. Enjoy the site !
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gabriel, Welcome onboard. Your P-51 definently qualifies. I assume that it is been build within the last couple of months when you write it is your latest build. Kits have to be build within the timeframe of the campaign to qualify. Remember to upload a couple of pictures of your build in the campaign gallery here: Down Low Gallery

Well, yes thank you for the clarifications, Jesper.

Actually this has been built in the last month. I usually do not take pictures of the "progress" of the build. Most of the times because of lack of time and/or a good camera
I have uploaded the pics as well to the location you specified.

Thanks again!!!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Eetu, Great to see another entry into the campaign. However, I only see 12,7mm MGs on the P-47. The bomb looks a lot like a drop tank In its current state it does not qualify It has to have bombs, rockets, 30mm+ cannons or similar to qualify for the campaign. Otherwise, it cannot knock out tanks. You could add a bomb instead of the drop tank or something like that to make it qualify...... It could be great to have it in the campaign as it is a really beautiful build.

Oh, bummer...
When I was building, I didn't install the wing pylons because of fit problems, and since the instructions didn't mention bombs attached to the fuselage rack, I somehow ended up with a drop tank.
I'll dig my spare parts box for a bomb.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
Gabriel, that is great. Progress pictures are always nice, but not compulsory. You will have the first ribbon coming your way at the end of the campaign

Eetu, I am glad to hear that you will find a bomb somewhere in your spares box. I would really like to see your excellent P-47 take to the skies to hunt panzers
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:55 PM UTC
[quote
Then it's just final assembly, peeling off the masks and attaching the antenna wire.
It just runs from the root of the antenna to the horizontal stabilizer. I was thinking about making a hole in either place, gluing one end of the wire to it, then pulling it tight against the other spot and introducing super glue and accerelator to it.[/quote]

Hi Eetu!

This is how I usually do when attatching antenna wires.

First, drill a small (as small as possible!) hole all the way trough the plastic (if possible), where the wire will be attatched.
Then put the wire in the hole and hold there, next take a cocktail stick (Tooth pick ?) and push the tip into the hole, thus securing the wire.
Then carefully twist the tooth pick so you´ll leave just the tip in the hole, If you do It right the tip will come off just above the hole´s edge.
If needed, take a fine tipped tweezer and push the little wedge a lttle more into the hole.
Now, you´re done!
Repeat with other end of the wire.

No need for any glue as the wooden wedges will hold the wire firmly with friction.
To top It off, dab a little with the surface color, and the light wedge almost dissapears!

This method will work best If you use a flexible tread like the "Invisible" lycra tread I always use for this task.

Here´s how it looks on my `Cobra;

And here´s how It looked on my Lanc, before I painted the stubs;

Just remember that If you do this on canopys, use only VERY LIGHT pressure, or you´ll get a very nasty experience!
Just don´t ask how I know!

Hope It helped a bit!

Oh, and I love both Your Devastating Devil, and that French P-47 Thunderbolt!
Very nice builds, both of them!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 04:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the pointers. That's a great way to attach wires! I should have waited to see this, I already tacked the wire to the side of the horizontal stabilazer. Well, it's good enough, taking it off would require some more tedious touching-up.

Btw, what kind of bombs did P-47's carry, and were they mounted in the fuselage rack too?
I went through my spare parts box and the only US bombs in 1:72 scale I have are the small ones that came with the D-variant thunderbolt. They were meant for the wing pylons, which I omitted because the poor fit to the wing.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi Eetu.
From references I have to hand,(Im still out on tour),the majority of bombs carried on the P47's were 500lb GP bombs.I have seen photos of Thunderbolts with clusters of smaller bombs being carried on the fusalage,fixed in the same position as the drop tank would be. I think,(havent been able to check and confirm this),that they were capable of carrying a 1000lb bomb under the fusalage.
Ive seen photos of P47's with a 500lb bomb under one wing and a drop tank on the other, and Ive also read that the standard drop tanks were fitted with detonators to explode the remaining fuel when they were jetisoned on contact with enemy fighters, and even filled with napalm on occasion.
Hope this helps a little
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
Here is a short update on my second build for this campaign. My Kursk Hs-129. Without doubt my most succesful aircraft build so far - until I applied the last coat of varnish. (have not build so many)

Everything worked really well on this build. Good camouflage, good decalling etc. However, after applying the dacals they were given the usual coat of varnish. No problem. However, then I applied the final coat of varnish and this made the decals lift a bit from the surface and turn a little "milky" on the uncoloured decal film. I tried settle them with Microsol Set, but that made them rinkle. Very unpleasant surprise

Now I will try to give them more Varnish and as a last resort paint the "milky" parts of the decals with the base colour and then respray with varnish. Hopefully it could solve the problem. Any suggestions will be gladly recived.

Here are some update shots. The final shots will be taken in daylight.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

colours look fine in the last pic. i would not recomment applying more varnish ... just get rid of the decals and spray on the markings or use better decals. Do not forget to apply a gloss coat first if you do!

best wishes

Steffen