World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Aeroscale P-47 Thunderbolt SIG
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
Couple of noddy P47 questions if I may.

My Hasegawa instructions call for grey on the inside of the cowling but i've seen either grey or green, where would the different colours have been used.

The instructions also seem to show the panel just behind the cowling and infront of the cockpit is split into two straight down the middle. If thats the case it saves on the sanding but i'm not so sure it is.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Couple of noddy P47 questions if I may.

My Hasegawa instructions call for grey on the inside of the cowling but i've seen either grey or green, where would the different colours have been used.

The instructions also seem to show the panel just behind the cowling and infront of the cockpit is split into two straight down the middle. If thats the case it saves on the sanding but i'm not so sure it is.

Hi Gary.
Welcome to the SIG.
99% of my colour photos show the inside of the cowling around the air intake area to be grey. The exceptions to this are where the air intake chutes have been painted the same colour as the cowling ID band. Some 56FG and 57FG T'bolts for example.
Preserved examples have this area in many different colours, but for P47 in service I would go for grey as a rule of thumb, unless your references for a particular aircraft show otherwise.
Good news is you can save yourself a bit of sanding.Although the actual layout of that area between the cockpit and the cowling vents varies slightly between variants, there is indeed a panel line there. Its over the area forward of the firewall that includes the oil tank.

While we're on the subject of air intakes, this photo illustrates just how big that area of the P-47 is.

Im almost tempted to ask for captions, but that might be better left for a small competition I have planned
Hope this answers your questions Gary.
Dont forget to post photos and keep us informed how your builds going.
Nige
JWViguers
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 04:08 PM UTC
Yep, big!
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 03:26 PM UTC
A question...

I am building the Tamiya 1/48 razorback Thunderbolt and to get the engine and cowling to fit correctly I had to sand away some of the engine (The red portions on the picture below show approximately the size of the pieces I needed to sand away). Has anyone else run into this or is it (probably) just due to some earlier step I didn't quite get in exact. Also, I checked the wiring and that wasn't it, so I am sure it is the part you glue into the interior of the cowling.

I don't care that I had to do it; just wandering if I am the only one, so I can do better next time.
Thanks,
Allen

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Allen.
Mine just slotted together no problems.
Ive just remembered though, that I used the Loon models P-47 C cowling, which means I will have to build another 1:48 Jug asap to check this issue out
Nige
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:37 PM UTC
Can't say I have ever run into trouble with this (or any) part of the kit. Razorback or bubble top. Allen, you did a wonderful job of detailing that R-2800. What did you use for the ignition wires?

-Matt
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 08:01 PM UTC
No need to explain Allen. I just went to your WIP and answered my own question. Love that gunsight.

-Matt
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi Allen,

I've built 3 Tamiya T-bolts both razorback and bubble top in 1/48 now (and still have another three in the stash) and I havn't come across this problem, so it's possible that it may just be user error

Quoted Text

which means I will have to build another 1:48 Jug asap to check this issue out

you go steady now Nige in this scale you may run out of space.

Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Allen,

I've built 3 Tamiya T-bolts both razorback and bubble top in 1/48 now (and still have another three in the stash) and I havn't come across this problem, so it's possible that it may just be user error

Quoted Text

which means I will have to build another 1:48 Jug asap to check this issue out

you go steady now Nige in this scale you may run out of space.

Allen

Hi Allen.
Its easy you see,I build them and put them into the Halesworth Museum,,no space taken up at my end,,LOL. Actually,,I have another T'bolt build planned for Halesworth later in the year, but for myself Im very tempted to do the Hasegawa 1:32 Bubbletop for my Aces HIgh Campaign
Nige
SteveBuscemi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Upper Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I have a question about the "Button Nose" P-47. Is that Decal sheet (Donald Duck behind bars) available in 1/32 scale? And can anybody tell me the manufacturer? I love the design and the cammo scheme and would like to build one of those myself in 1/32 if possible.

Thx folks!

Hope you all have a nice relaxing sunday!

Cheers,
Heli
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:31 AM UTC
[quote]Hi guys,

I have a question about the "Button Nose" P-47. Is that Decal sheet (Donald Duck behind bars) available in 1/32 scale? And can anybody tell me the manufacturer? I love the design and the cammo scheme and would like to build one of those myself in 1/32 if possible.

Thx folks!

Hope you all have a nice relaxing sunday!

Hi Steve.
The Aeromaster set is only listed in 1:48, but Hannants list another sheet with the same P-47 in 1:72.
I havent seen it anywhere in 1:32 Im afraid.
Nige

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Neil.
The designated colours for the 61/62/63FS were Red/Yellow/Blue.
In Feb/March 1944 the 56FG used these colours on the P-47s cowlings until they standardised with red.
The only photos I have to hand of 56FG P-47s with coloured rudders are taken at Boxted,where the 56FG moved to in mid April 1944. and these are Bubbletops.( No Bubbletops were flown from Halesworth by 56FG.
Robert Johnson scored is last victories on May 8th 1944 in LM-Q,which was the only T'bolt he flew while serving with 62FS, and was the taken off ops.
Heres another photo of Johnson with Penrod and Sam.
Probably taken on the same day as the previous photo, and showing 27 victory markings,(taking Rickenbakers record of 26),

LSP's decal sheet for 56FG aces includes LM-Q with a yellow rudder but no photos as yet.
I'll see what I can turn up when I get home in a week or so.
Nige

Academy 72nd kit - Techmod ()Kagero)/Academy decals. This was intended to be my Aces High subject ..but one thing led to another ...the kit itself is well detailed ..but some of it unfortunately wrong..(hit the 'refresh' button if image doesn't load)

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Neil.
The designated colours for the 61/62/63FS were Red/Yellow/Blue.
In Feb/March 1944 the 56FG used these colours on the P-47s cowlings until they standardised with red.
The only photos I have to hand of 56FG P-47s with coloured rudders are taken at Boxted,where the 56FG moved to in mid April 1944. and these are Bubbletops.( No Bubbletops were flown from Halesworth by 56FG.
Robert Johnson scored is last victories on May 8th 1944 in LM-Q,which was the only T'bolt he flew while serving with 62FS, and was the taken off ops.
Heres another photo of Johnson with Penrod and Sam.
Probably taken on the same day as the previous photo, and showing 27 victory markings,(taking Rickenbakers record of 26),

LSP's decal sheet for 56FG aces includes LM-Q with a yellow rudder but no photos as yet.
I'll see what I can turn up when I get home in a week or so.
Nige

Academy 72nd kit - Techmod ()Kagero)/Academy decals. This was intended to be my Aces High subject ..but one thing led to another ...the kit itself is well detailed ..but some of it unfortunately wrong..(hit the 'refresh' button if image doesn't load)

Very nice finished Razorback Neil
A good practice run for Aces High as well!
Please post a photo or two in the P-47 SIG Gallery which can be found HERE
Nige
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Thanks Nige..already done - thank you for the research help..! It was very enjoyable exercise trying to build a 'real' aircraft - although posing it alongside a pic of the 'real' thing is asking for trouble..! Having recently acquired Roger Freeman's 'Thunderbolt' in hard back for 75p in a charity shop I'm a little a better equipped for the my next T-bolt...I fancy a go at 'Too big, too heavy..' in 48th now !!!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Nige..already done - thank you for the research help..! It was very enjoyable exercise trying to build a 'real' aircraft - although posing it alongside a pic of the 'real' thing is asking for trouble..! Having recently acquired Roger Freeman's 'Thunderbolt' in hard back for 75p in a charity shop I'm a little a better equipped for the my next T-bolt...I fancy a go at 'Too big, too heavy..' in 48th now !!!

Hi Neil.
Thanks for posting the pics in the gallery.
I enjoyed doing the research with you, its one of the main reasons I created this SIG.
Roger Freemans "Thunderbolt" is an excellent book and one of my main starting points for P-47 research, a real bargain for 75p!!!, I think I paid about a fiver for mine.
Too Big Too Heavy eh?,,are you getting a taste for P-47's or is it the start of a NMF build series?
Do you have the kit yet?, Revell have done a limited edition release of this kit exclusive to Modelzone if theres one close to you.
I picked up mine in Manchester a few weeks ago. One of the perks of being in a different place most days
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
As is often the case, after a project is finished you stumble along the answer to a question that evaded you throughout the build.
Neil,,Ive just found a photo of LM-Q with its rudder painted. Its a B&W pic but the rudder looks to be yellow. Definately not red as previously suggested.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Nice photo as well

Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:40 PM UTC
sorry to but in here guys, but I have a question for you P-47 experts. I asked this on my build thread as well, but figured I should ask here in case you guys missed the build thread.

anyway, here's my question. I'm building the 47N, and I'm doing it in Hawaiian National Guard markings. I've been trying to figure out the appropriate color for the cockpit, and have stumbled on a few things. Interior Green is the most common (model master). But then I got reading and saw that all the National Guard variants were painted flat black in the cockpit. Is this what I should assume is correct for the Hawaiian Guard?

And Also, should the landing gear bays be yellow zinc chromate? I seem to run across that no matter where i look, so I assume that's right.

Thanks guys for the help, and I hope to add another wonderful thunderbolt to this websites already astonishing collection!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry to butt in here guys, but I have a question for you P-47 experts. I asked this on my build thread as well, but figured I should ask here in case you guys missed the build thread.

anyway, here's my question. I'm building the 47N, and I'm doing it in Hawaiian National Guard markings. I've been trying to figure out the appropriate color for the cockpit, and have stumbled on a few things. Interior Green is the most common (model master). But then I got reading and saw that all the National Guard variants were painted flat black in the cockpit. Is this what I should assume is correct for the Hawaiian Guard?

And Also, should the landing gear bays be yellow zinc chromate? I seem to run across that no matter where i look, so I assume that's right.

Thanks guys for the help, and I hope to add another wonderful thunderbolt to this websites already astonishing collection!

Hi Eric.
Your certainly not butting in,,your very welcome
Im certainly no expert though,,lol, Ive just got a whole bunch of T'bolt reference material.
Ok,,,H N G P-47's.
Im interested in your source that states the cockpit interiors were painted black on ANG T'bolts.
My references show that 23 squadrons spread over 21 United States National Guards used P-47's. I cant think of any logical reason to repaint the cockpits black on all these aircraft.
The green I use for my P-47 cockpit interiors is Humbrol 117 as a base, with drybrushing and washes over that. No ones complained yet
As for the gear bays etc, on all the b&w photos I have of 199FS HNG aircraft, the inside of the landing gear doors looks to be zinc cromate yellow.
Hope this helps,,now stop stalling on the N build
If you need any more info just ask, and I'll see what I can do to help.
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 02:56 PM UTC
Alright, here's the source, and I saw another website saying it was black, but I can't remember what it was and I can't seem to find it.

makes ya wonder.....
If it's not black though, what kinda green is that Humbrol you said Nige? I was told to use MM interior green, but I see a lot of sources saying dull dark green. I know this whole color thing is getting annoying, to me at least, so if you guys think it would be accurate, I may just go ahead and paint it black and trust the instructions that the Guard Tbolts were black.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi all,

This P47d model is the old Monogram kit in 48 scale that I got for $2.00, the decals are from the old AeroMaster RAF sheet that depicts a SEAC OTU that was based in Egypt.
The cammo is from the Xtra Colour range of enamels, using Olive Drab / Sea Grey over Neural Grey and the weathering is from pastels.

I have a couple of the Academy, Hasegawa, Monogram and Tamiya issued kits but they are not all completed builds as yet, both the Academy P47d depicting 'Eileen' and the Tamiya P47m depiciting 'Pengie' are almost finished.
I intend to replace the P47d 'Eileen' subject in the near future, using the Tamiya P47d kit with Super Scale decals.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it's not black though, what kinda green is that Humbrol you said Nige? I was told to use MM interior green, but I see a lot of sources saying dull dark green. I know this whole color thing is getting annoying, to me at least, so if you guys think it would be accurate, I may just go ahead and paint it black and trust the instructions that the Guard Tbolts were black.

I normally used Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green when I do my T'bolts which normall darkens down by the time I've done the washes etc. End of the day colour choice is down to you as I always go with the ethos that modelling should be fun and enjoyable.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi all.
Eric.
I totally agree with what Allen says. Its supposed to be fun, and getting dragged down into endless debates about whether the screws used to hold the radio in place were cross head or flat head is for the rivet counters.

I dont personally use Tamiya XF5 purely because I prefer to brush paint details with enamels and not acrylics.
Humbrol 117 is officially called US Light Green, but its not that light at all, and as Allen says..it darkens down with washes etc. If you want to go for black thats your call, and nobody is going to pull you up on it from here.
Its a fun, enjoyable hobby, and thats how I intend to keep this SIG

Rob.
Stunning SEAC Bubbletop! Where did that spring from?
I really like the panel lines and fading effect. How did you find the old Monogram kit?
Looking forward to seeing your Eileen and Pengie
Please post some photos in the gallery when your finished. ( assuming the gallerys up and running,,lol )
Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:33 AM UTC
Thanks Nige and Allen. I completely agree, it's supposed to be fun! (that's why I do it, duh ). Anyway, I think I'll just go with my MM interior green. That way it'll actually show a wash.

Now that I've made up my mind, I might have an update this weekend for you guys in my build thread.

thanks guys
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
Almost forgot to post a couple of pictures of my lastest.
This ones going into the Halesworth Museum.
I almost feel like a surrogate mother, as its been a labour of love for the last 5 months and is easily the best model Ive made. Its also my first 1:48 build. Still,,its going to a very good home and Ive got more 1:48 T'bolts in the stash

Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Fantastic "Jug"! The subtle weathering and the fading came out great. I can't wait to see the model on it's display base. Don't forget to shoot pictures when it will be displayed in the Halesworth Museum for the first time.

Do you plan to weather the propeller blades as well? They look a bit clean when compared to the rest of the aircraft.

Anyway, you can be proud of that one. So now, what will be your next 1/48 scale model?

Jean-Luc