World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Aeroscale P-47 Thunderbolt SIG
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys!
What a great bunch of photos to wake up to this morning
"The Wolfpack Is Coming",,,what a great diorama. You can almost hear the roar of the engines. How did you achieve the spinning prop effect?
I was wondering how long it would be before you discovered the thread Carlos. Thanks for posting the pics.A really nice selection you have there. I think your also the only person I know that doesnt have problems with the infamous Academy decals!
Nige

Hi Lampie. To simulate the spinning props, I took some clear mylar and cut them to the size of the kit props. I cut a mask from stiff cardboard and layed it on the disc and applied a thin coat of black and some yellow to the outer perimeter to simulate the tips of the prop blades. I drilled a hole in the center of the disc and chucked it in my drill. I then took fine steel wool and starting from the center I dragged it to the outer edges of the disc while it was spinning. I think the areas between the "blades" should be a little bit more clear, based on what I'm now seeing in photos. I cut off the kit prop blades and attached the hub to the disc as straight as I could. I hope this helps, thanks for the kind words, Wingman out.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
Very nice models of the Thunderbolts.Hey Nigel Hove about starting a Gallery for this nice builds?

Larsa
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice models of the Thunderbolts.Hey Nigel Hove about starting a Gallery for this nice builds?

Larsa

Hi Lars.
Sorry for the late reply:)
A gallery is something Im thinking about for the future, but for now I think posting photos here is a good way of keeping the SIG active initially.

Hows the razorback going? Im researching a very special build at the moment. More will be revealed soon I hope
Nige
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:20 PM UTC
mwolfe, I just saw your two jugs. Holy crap they look great! Makes me want to try something with spinning props.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
[/quote]posting photos here is a good way of keeping the SIG active initially.

Hows the razorback going? Im researching a very special build at the moment. More will be revealed soon I hope
Nige [/quote]

Hi
The razorback build Is going forward. For the moment I’m checking the seams between the fuselage halves for gaps. Because I’ll going to paint it in Alclad I’ve need to be extra careful with the prepaintjob. For the moment I’m redoing those rivets that were lost in the sanding.

Yes, I´ll going to update the tread about the build, but there’s been so little interest in the comments, so my though was that the guys don´t follow my build of this lovely kit.

Hopefully next week I can send in a proper review on some decals for these big Jugs.

ps what special build????????????
Larsa
SteveBuscemi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Upper Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hey guys, great thread!!
I just recently finished a P-47 razorback 1/48th scale from Hasegawa. I thought I might post some pics too and see what ya'll think. There are a few mistakes I made, please excuse,... it is only my second airplane project! I am starting to like building planes though!
Had plenty problems (especially with teh Alclad paint) but in teh end I think it turned out alright!
Here are a efw pics of my Jug:

Hope tehy fit in this thread!

Cheers,
Heli
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
This is Hasegawa's 1/48th bubble top. Currently, I'm experimenting with Alclad and here is the progress so far.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

mwolfe, I just saw your two jugs. Holy crap they look great! Makes me want to try something with spinning props.

Hi Matt. Thanks for the enthusiastic commment. My dad mentioned something about spinning props on one my builds. I think I'll use a thinner piece of mylar next time, and like I said before, I think the areas between the blades should be a little more clear. This thread is cool, it's nice to see these nice T-Bolt builds in one forum[Thanks Lampie]. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hi all.
First I just want to say how happy I am with how the SIG is developing and progressing. I havent been able to get online for a few days and I was really pleased to see the replies and photos since the last time I was online.
Lars.
Your Razorback gets better and better. Im really looking enjoying watching it come together
Steve
Great Razorback . I really like the way youve done different shades of Alclad panels asymetrically. Nice job and I hope you continue to build wingy things :)

Another NMF Bubbletop,looking really good HK ,,keep posting

Special Build
Although its not a "secret project",, Im not going to post any details until Ive finalised a few things, which should be in the next couple of weeks. Once this is done I will be letting everyone in on the build and starting a thread

Nige
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
An unexpected surprise for me was getting an award for my all acrylic nmf Jug at yesterdays IPMS-Glue Crew event. I entered a couple models just to support the event. Was I surprised when I was called to receive my trophy! The kit is Tamiya 1:48 P-47D

A second 1:32 Jug also finished with the Talon nmf acrylics also made an appearance.

hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
Little more work while paint dries. I decided I wanted to have the cowl flaps open but I didn't want to order and wait for a resin part. This is what I came up with.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
Congratulations Gerald, surely some mistake though,,it looks like a definate 1st place to me!,Nice to see an ANG scheme too.
Nice job on the cowling flaps HK,,youre a braver man than me,,lol.
Nige
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
No mistake, the first place went to a fellow club members 1:48 Gee Bee which was flawless.

http://hawkeyeshobbies.com/gallery1/albums/IPMSSW/DSC02511.jpg

Once I get my Hase 1:32 Jug done, that should hopefully earn a first place, but I'd be happy with just to be in the running at all.
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:48 PM UTC
Whoa! Sweet thread. There are many great builds here. I really like all the T-bolts!

Here are a couple links I thought people might find interesting:

1) To go along with the Osprey book - modeling the p-47 (highly recommended btw), they put out a free download-able version dealing with the 1/72 T-bolts. Pretty nice and for free definitely worth looking at...Link:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/content1.php/cid=201

2) A nice 'detail' walkaround...Link:

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/01/stuff_eng_detail_p47.htm

3) "The Home of the Jug" - a site with some interesting things about the jug.

http://members.tripod.com/p47tbolt/home.htm

Hope these are of some use to someone.
Allen
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC
Wow Some really nice work. I entered my bolt that I did for the Down low campaign at the Lincoln and Newark Model show (UK) this weekend just gone and surprisingly it got a Highly commended in it's class. The real surprise though was the First in the same class for my Skyraider (wont post a pic as it's not a T-Bolt )

When I get round to it I'll post some pics of my other T-Bolts.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:03 AM UTC
Great links Allen!
Thanks for posting them.
I know youve got at least one VERY nice P-47 on your shelves, care to share it with us?
Congratulations Allen (Tomcat)..a very well deserved Highly Commended. Shame I couldnt make the show last weekend as I was working, I really missed not being there.
Looking forward to your other photos.
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carlos. Thanks for posting the pics.A really nice selection you have there. I think your also the only person I know that doesnt have problems with the infamous Academy decals!
Nige

Thank you Nigel. For the Academy in 1/48 I used Aeromaster decals, the others in 1/72 are Academy. I found that with Microsol and patience they´re no so bad.
After building some Mossies (4) that I have waiting (a Bomber Mk IV 1/72 in the bench right now ready for painting - 109 Sqn Pathfinder) I´ll put my hands in another P 47D, a Razorbak Tamiya 1/48. Maybe in January.

I saw your P 47 im the Rumble in the East Asian Sky thread and it looks great, congratulations !!!

Regards.
Carlos
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:37 AM UTC
Thanks Carlos.
Im really pleased with how the RAF T'bolt turned out
The P-47 N is probably the least represented of the Thunderbolt family,especially in 1:72. Hopefully we'll see an offering from TamiGawa in the not too distant future. I have the Italeri "N" in the stash but theres not much about it that tempts me to make a start. Has anyone built it?
For 1:48 builders, this link was posted on Aeroscale in a different thread, but I just had to post a link in the SIG.
I cant see the modellers name anywhere,( I believe he is Japanese), but the excellent article describes how he built an "N" using the Tamiya D Bubbletop as a base kit, with bits and pieces from other kits and AM parts. The riveting work is particularly impressive.
P-47N Conversion
Nige
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great links Allen!
Thanks for posting them.
I know youve got at least one VERY nice P-47 on your shelves, care to share it with us?...
Nige

Thanks for the compliment Nige. I'd be glad to. BTW, that P-47N link is great. That guy has got some talent for BMF.

Anyway, here is a 1/48 academy P-47.

A just for kicks 1/72 tamiya P-47 bubbletop in ASW scheme.

And a 1/72 tamiya razorback with George Rarey's Nose art

My building is sporadic at best lately, but I hope to start an in progress thread in the next couple of days for the 1/48 tamiya razorback I have kind of been working on for quite some time now. Seeing this thread made me pull it out and I hope this plus a wip thread might be the motivation I need to get back to it.

Thanks again.
Allen
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Just posted some pics of some 1 to 1 T-Bolts, taken at Chino,CA "Planes of Fame", if any are interested Link to Gallery
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks Allen!
Fabulous work as always, and its good to hear that the SIG has given you the motivation to dig out a half finished build and get back to the bench,,especially when its a P-47
The George Rarey story is fascinating,funny, and ultimately very sad. Well worth reading up on if you havent heard of him.
You can learn more about George Rarey HERE
Great photos Chuck, thanks for posting them. Did you start the gallery especially for the SIG? Its something I was going to approach Rowan about but I guess youve beaten me to it LOL.
Nige
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you start the gallery especially for the SIG?

Yes Sir I did, I'm sure Rowan won't mind
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:03 PM UTC
A small update. Got most of the painting done and started working on small stuff. Added main gear detail, painted up small parts and gear doors. Here is a shot or two just to say "I'm still working on it."

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:05 AM UTC
Looking good HK!,soon be finished
Some reference photos now and a story to go with them.
In the Halesworth Airfield Museum resides a rather battered and corroded 75g Drop Tank.
Pretty much in the condition you'd expect for a "find".

A couple of weeks ago, a local farmer visited the museum. While discussing the various exhibits with one of the museums staff he announced," Ive got one of those drop tanks at the farm somewhere.If I can find it you can have it!"
After 60 years in a farmers barn, its now in the museum.
Probably the finest example of a drop tank Ive ever seen, and of course, all paint and stencils are original. Great reference photo opportunity.

Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC
watch next update on this guys

Larsa