Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Paparazzi Club
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 09:14 AM UTC
Robert, the different 109 recon versions are difficult to recognise due to small external differences between the standard and the recon models. You can see more in the tread I have linked to below.

Steffen, thanks for the suggestions. I am awaiting some books I have ordered on the Me 109. If necessary I might get the Prien book also - after next pay check
Book 1 ordered
Book 2 ordered
Both books came highly recommended from several different reviews on the net, so I went for them.

Anyone interested or able to add advise and or reference material - please check out my tread below:

MY BUILD BLOG MY 109G-10/R2 INCLUDING PHOTOS, PLANS ETC.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

well, both links only point to SAM publications .. guess you are referring to the modellers data files on the 109 by Lynn Ritger. very good stuff (I have vol 1). not sure if you find much regarding recce birds.

good luck

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jesper

guess you are referring to the modellers data files on the 109 by Lynn Ritger. very good stuff (I have vol 1).

good luck

cheers

Steffen

Exactly, these are the two books I have ordered, although I am still waiting for them to arrive....
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC
I'm back from vacation! No modelling at all, this time. Building and painting real stuff (i.e. working on the summer cottage) for a change...

I am going to build some Spitfires these upcoming weeks!!! I'm so excited! Magnus, are you sure that the Heritage Aviation 1/72 Spitfire Pr Mk XIX is the same as the old MPM kit (which was thoroughly discredited in this review). Should I opt back to the Fujimi kit, with its hunchback and crisp - but oh so incorrect - surface detals (gun access panels, panel lines, shell chutes, short-span ailerons, bulges etc)??? No, I think I'll stick with the HA...

I also have a “crème de la crème” Spitfire kit, the CMR 1/72 Spitfire LF Mk IXE, which I hope to build concurrently (outside the campaign, of course).

It’s great to see the progress that have been taking place during my absence. I promise you a whole lot of comments (and a nice ribbon) before too long!

Cheers! // PolarBear
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 - 03:33 AM UTC
If I'm still on time I'd like to join with this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-12
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi all!

Not much activity here, where is everybody?

Well, I have done some work on my Viggie;

After cutting the engines, I did some clean-up and test fitting with the new cans from Aires.

Fit is excellent and I discoverd that I have to glue the burners from the inside, but the exhausts can be left off and installed from the outside when painting is done!
Saves a lot of masking for sure!

But first I had to make some "filling" as I did not cut the kit-engines exactly in the same spot!

Here´s my old "plastic" useful once again!

Then it was a snap to glue the Aires burner tubes in place, and then close the aft section.
After that I glued the long under-fuselage "canoe" holding the camera bays.

Everything fitted very well and I have not used any filler, only a light sanding was needed.

Next was to install the main landing gears and I gave them brake lines made from a mellow 0.5mm soldering "wire".
The large covers fitted very well and was glued in the closed position.

Then came the wings, and now the build got in the "speed-mode";

As can be seen, a perfect and clean fit;

Then the intakes;

...and the nose;

Everything fitted perfectly with no need for any filler!

Beside the F-101B Voodoo, the sieze of the RA-5C can be appreciated;

From top, RA-5C, Phantom II, F-101 Voodoo

The Vigilante is a LARGE aircraft by every count!

Soon time for paint!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:57 PM UTC
I just started the Su-12.
Very basic cockpit, I want to add some detailing to the cockpit and the seats.
How can I detail the seats ? wiring ?

Thanks !
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just started the Su-12.
Very basic cockpit, I want to add some detailing to the cockpit and the seats.
How can I detail the seats ? wiring ?

Thanks !

what scale?

and a picture of what you have to work with would be helpful too.
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC
It's a 1/72.
I will take some pics.

Similar sprues:
http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/images/su12reviewme_sprue2.jpg

It's not the same kit, but the sprue is identical, maybe a reboxed item under another russian brand.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a 1/72.
I will take some pics.

Similar sprues:
http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/images/su12reviewme_sprue2.jpg

It's not the same kit, but the sprue is identical, maybe a reboxed item under another russian brand.

take a close up of the seat parts if you would.
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
ok, I will.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 05:31 PM UTC
take your time - i'm not going to be able to help for most of the week - going on vacation. I'm sure other's will beat me to the punch once you have pics up though
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:40 PM UTC
My home PC won't turn on... pics are on the camera, it will take a while...damn.
Also wanted to post some "in progress" pics of the campaigns...

Since you will be on vacations...I guess I'll have some "before & after" shots..
Have some cool vacations (PC & cellphone turned off..)
HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hello all. I am using a 1/48 Tamiya P-51D and converting it to an F-6D using Quickboost #48115 which has the 3 cameras and also a template to scribe the access hatch added to the right side. Also, Aeromaster #48-708, Southern European Mustangs pt. 2 (on this sheet the 3rd from the top). This depicts ZM*D from the 12th Recon Squadron, 12th Recon Group. Hope to see some other interesting builds as we progress.

Tom

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi all!

I haven't gotten around to my Spitfire yet, but I enjoy the progress that you guys are doing. Nice choice, Tom!

I fiddled around a little with the ribbon for this campaign. Here is the current draft;

The background colours are PRU pink, PRU blue and PRU Mauve... I know that it needs a little more work! All and any input is most welcome!

Cheers! // PolarBear
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
Nice choice, Tom. Maybe my Bf 109G-10 will meet you in the skies over Europe

Looking forward to see more
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
I received my PE today! It is for a Spit mk XIV, and for a totally different model brand, but hopefully most of it will fit in my Pr XIX! Soon I'll be on my way!!

How is everyone else comming along?

Cheers! // PolarBear
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 08:26 PM UTC
My Bf 109G-10/R2 has been on hold while I finished my P-40B for the Pearl Harbour campaign. Now I am ready to continue work on it, but progress will be slow due to work obligations.

Hoping to post new pictures soon.
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC
Slow progress so far on the Su-12.
Added some wires and Mr.Surfacer to the seats, and wired some parts of the interior, not 100 % accurate but I couldn't find any photos of the interior.

I will have to post some shots soon.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:44 PM UTC
Coming along, yeah...

I still wait for the time to finish my Battle for Europe 109 K, so start of the S 31 Spitfire is kind of delayed. I have got the stuff in the stash though, and that has to be considered as progress, won't it
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi all!

I'm afraid that I haven't been around Aeroscale much lately, since I started building a ship (and got quite hooked). Too bad, since progress seems a bit slow here at the campaign that I'm hosting! It's ok that many of us seem too be "late bloomers" though, because the campaign lasts for quite a while, but for those of you that have started, please post your progress!

So what am I building over at Model Shipwright!? I'm doing a 1/700 diorama of the Kirov Battle Cruiser in the Baltic, beeing overflown by a Swedish Viggen. And as a part of that diorama, I actually just finished a small reconnaisance aircraft (hors competition, however)!

I needed a Saab SH 37 Maritime Reconaissance Viggen in 1/700 to my diorama. Not many of those on the market! What is a poor Swede to do?

First I made a print of a profile that had been scaled down to the right size (the aviation experts among you may notice that the profile depicts an SF 37, not the maritime SH 37...). The Viggen is 2.34 cm in 1/700.

This was actually only a test to see if the results that I wanted could be accomplished with the method that I wanted to apply. A used a piece of sprue, some thin plastic card and a tad of putty filler.

And then some detail painting! The roundels are a bit over-sized, but I can live with that! Even if this individual was only intended as a test object, I'm quite happy with the result. Who knows, maybe I'll keep it?
:-)

The wings appear a little thick on the close-ups (not really noticable for the naked eye), but that can be fixed...The belly will need some rails and reconaissance pods etc. And then a wash, of course. And definitely a little more detailing!

Now, back to the Kirov and the Spitfire Pr Mk XIX...

Cheers! // PolarBear
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:59 PM UTC
Stefan: Where will you keep that enormous aircraft when it gets finished?
Björn: Ultra-cool. Bring it to C4 next month, it would by the way be nice to see you there and get a true face for PolarBear!

Since you ask so nicely I'll better show some progress! I have been working sporadically on my Arado but I expect progress to be a bit quicker once the Phantom gets finished!

Wings have been temporarily stuck to the fuselage. A bit of filler is needed here and there. The fit isn't bad, filler is mostly due to sink marks. The Naxos antenna is supplied as a photo etch part covered with a clear window.

I have filled in a huge recess for some kind of odd-looking explosive device under the fuselage. Dragon lists the kit as a C-3/C-4 but I think it lacks some parts for being a true C-4. One thing I think it had in reality was a belly gun pack and the decals are only for a C-3. Of course I need a C-4 for this campaign! Well, we all know Dragon...

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:21 PM UTC
Wow! That is one small Viggen you got there, Bjoern. Good work on the camouflage.

Interesting to see more on the Arado, Magnus. I will steal any tips and tricks for my own Dragon Arados.
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
This is Revell Rf-4E in 1/72 scale. General assembly and painting completed. Again some progress pictures.

Preshade applied.

Decals are applied.

atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
Model completed.