_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Total war...Vietnam
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC
Campaign has been Approved and a Gallery created Total War Vietnam Gallery
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
Quick question regarding the following, which is from the campaign page:

Quoted Text

there are two classes, Americans, South Korean, Australian and the other class would be N.V.A/VietCong.

why the distinction? Are there going to be two different ribbons?

If so, can someone have two entries in the different classes and get both ribbons?

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:11 PM UTC
I'd also like to suggest the ribbon for the campaign look like the Vietnam service ribbon:

Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:18 PM UTC
Troops,
Glad to see another 'Nam group build. I do have one question though, is there a reason for such a short build time ? Admitedly I'm a slooooow builder, but just wondering. I joined up anyway, and will try my best to meet the deadline once our start date arrives.

Now its time for me to go through the ''stash" and decide which one to go for. So what are some of the proposed projects ?

Semper Fi ........................ Bruce
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 01:44 AM UTC
I would suggest asking the Campaign leader but they haven't been on the forums for the last 5 weeks.
Greenhornet2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:36 PM UTC
hello every one. sorry for the delay. iv been away from socity for the past couple of weeks on a fishing trip.

Vance: yes there will be 2 different ribbons. one for each catigory. you may enter as many entries as you wish in either catigory or in both catigorys, but weather you enter 1 model or 100 models you only get one ribbon per catigory you enter in. Also i think your idea for the ribbon is perfect for the allid side and i was thinking a communist flag for the other. Now if i could just figure out how to make the ribbons?

Bruce: the build time is expandeble. if you are building somthing truly amazing send me a p.m or post it here on the forums and i will expand the build time.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC
Seth,
The time line is not a Critical item for me, I can change my subject. I was just thinking due to the Holiday time period, we may get more entrants if it is extended a little. (Especially the Armor folks) I would possibly suggest the end of March.

But this is your campaign, so it's your call on the time line. Hopefully we'll get a good turn out.

Take it easy........................Bruce
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yes there will be 2 different ribbons. one for each category. you may enter as many entries as you wish in either category or in both category, but weather you enter 1 model or 100 models you only get one ribbon per category you enter in. Also I think your idea for the ribbon is perfect for the allied side and I was thinking a communist flag for the other. Now if I could just figure out how to make the ribbons?

I could be wrong but you can only upload and award one ribbon. This has certainly been the case in the past as people wanted to award one ribbon for completing the campaign and a different one for completing more than on entry (for example, a standard ribbon for one entry and a standard ribbon with oak leaves for more than one entry).

I might be an idea to check with the campaign manager if this is possible.
Greenhornet2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:28 PM UTC
yes i better check on that.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 06:07 PM UTC
Well, I have decided I am building the new HobbyBoss 1/48 scale Mig-17F in North Vietnam livery for this campaign.

maybe something like this:

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hi fellow hobbyists. I think there is a little confusion about this campaign. Especially on the Armorama part of the forum. I have made a few banners to spread the word about the campaign and facilitate that people can sign up easily.

A practical question: will there be one or several "official" build treads?

Seth, I can also tell you right away that it is only possible to have one ribbon pr. campaign. I have been down that road as campaign leader and there is no possibility to award more than one ribbon or no possibility to award different ribbons either.

Here are the banners:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam5.jpg
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi fellow hobbyists. I think there is a little confusion about this campaign. Especially on the Armorama part of the forum. I have made a few banners to spread the word about the campaign and facilitate that people can sign up easily.

A practical question: will there be one or several "official" build treads?

Seth, I can also tell you right away that it is only possible to have one ribbon pr. campaign. I have been down that road as campaign leader and there is no possibility to award more than one ribbon or no possibility to award different ribbons either.

Here are the banners:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/BannerVietnam5.jpg

I like the last 2 personally.
muddyfields
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hi
Yeh I'll go with the last 2 as the best banners.
Have decided on what I'm going to try & get built.
I'm going to do a M24 Chaffee as used by the French , with 1 of there fancy camo schemes.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the camments on the banners. I like the first and the two last ones personally.

Good choice for the campaign, Shaun. There are some really interesting camouflage schemes fo rthe chaffees. They are also on my build list, but for this campaign I think it will be a Counter Invader.

Looking forward to get started.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 08:30 PM UTC
It's first day of november (well atleast here in Finland) nad Total war: Vietnam has started! Time to blow the dust off and start building!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:38 PM UTC
I have cracked open my B26K counter Invader kit and I am getting ready to start. It looks like a nice kit with some great decal options. I will build it OOB with only the help of some masks. So far I have only spraypainted a few pieces on the sprues. Real building will begin today.

More to follow....

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC
I have made some progress over the weekend on my 1/72 B-26K. So far it is a really good model with a good fit. The wheels are weighted - a nice touch especially for an aircraft of this weight.
The nose needs an additional 20 grams of weight. I solved this by adding some lead fixed in place with liberal amounts of Gator glue.

This aircraft will have an impressive load of ordnance. Both internally and externally. Some of it is already build and based in green.

Comments welcome.

More to follow.....

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Administartors, Could this tread be pinned like the other campaign treads.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 09:21 PM UTC
This tread is turning into my own private build log

Here is the latest on my B26K Counter Invader. The basic interior and engines are painted, but still without weathering. A few washes and some limited drybrushing will help.

I might add some seatbelts in the cockpit. Does anybody have any pictures of how they should look?

More to follow soon....

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Seth: I made an appropriately sized Vietnam service ribbon for the campaign if you would like to use it:

all you have to do is save it to your computer, go to the admin option on the campaign page, rename it to what they tell you to (which will be something like 295.GIF), and upload it.

hope i'm not being too presumptuous by offering my assistance in this.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:54 PM UTC
Very nice ribbon, Vance. Highly appropriate for this campaign.
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:10 PM UTC
Hi Jesper,

I hate to interupt your seemly private build log.

I am making a start on my own entry into this campain. I am planning on building the Monogram A-37 Dragonfly in 1/48th. I have always loved the look of this machine.

I am having an issue, this is a very old kit, the instructions have no FS numbers as far the interior color, all they list is "light gray", does anyone happen to know what this may actual be? Would Lt ghost gray do the trick?
Also does anyone know of where I can get some AM decals for it.

These are so old and yellow, I am afraid to use them.

Updates soon.

Ted
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hello Jesper: The B-26 is looking good, what is the nasty looking glue holding the nose weight? I like the interior, espcially the bomb bay.

Hello Ted: The AT-37 was a favorite of mine ever since I had an Aurora kit (telling my age).

Does anyone know where I might find a 1/48 T-28, that is what I had planned to build for this campaign?

Robert
john111
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 08:45 PM UTC
Howdy,
Here is a link for the T-28,its molded in yellow,www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVRZ7&P=ML good luck, would like to see pic"s
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys. Robert, the glue holding the lead in the nose is gator glue. works perfect for practically everything.

Ted, Good not to be alone in this tread anymore I was considering the Dragonfly as well, but in the end settled for the B26K as it has more guns
I am looking forward to follow your build.

Basic construction minus a few details and some ordnance is now finished. Next is the application of black paint for the underside and the lovely SEA camouflage.

More to follow.....

_GOTOTOP