Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
French aircraft of World War 2 proposal
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vive La France!

I'm in, no ideas what I'll do but I'll find something.

Does that make us official?

It should, as soon as the management notices...
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC
The Campaign has been "approved" and a Gallery created in AeroScale 2009 Campaigns area
La Marseillaise Gallery
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
I'm in, now to find something to build
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Campaign has been "approved" and a Gallery created in AeroScale 2009 Campaigns area
La Marseillaise Gallery

Excellent - thanks again!
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 09:40 PM UTC
Would a Eurofighter in RAF markings qualify?
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC
As I recall France was not part of the Eurofighter program. I think it was Italy, Spain, GB, and Germany who initially started the Eurofighter program. But I could be mistaken....

I also made a few banners for this campaign so we can spread the word.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/Banner3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/Banner2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/Banner1.jpg
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I recall France was not part of the Eurofighter program. I think it was Italy, Spain, GB, and Germany who initially started the Eurofighter program. But I could be mistaken....

I also made a few banners for this campaign so we can spread the word.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/Banner2.jpg

Oh, I REALLY like that banner! I may switch over to it eventually.

As for the Eurofighter, France initially was in on the ground floor of the project, but pulled a few years later (by 1985) and started a similar project which became the Dassault Rafale.
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As for the Eurofighter, France initially was in on the ground floor of the project, but pulled a few years later (by 1985) and started a similar project which became the Dassault Rafale.

Thanks guys. I've done a little digging myself and found out that EADS, a European consortium partly French-owned and the parent company of Airbus and Eurocopter, is involved with BAE in the Eurofighter production: EADS
What do you think? Or am I really pushing the boat out on this one?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. I've done a little digging myself and found out that EADS, a European consortium partly French-owned and the parent company of Airbus and Eurocopter, is involved with BAE in the Eurofighter production: EADS
What do you think? Or am I really pushing the boat out on this one?

actually, i don't even feel qualified to say at this point - I think i'll defer to the French members of Aeroscale on this one.

any of you want to field this for me?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi all,

This is only my opinion, but I would say no to the Eurofighter Typhoon. The French weren't involved in the design of the aircraft. They wanted a multirole combat jet and designed the Rafale instead.
I think there are enough 100% french designs to choose from and please, don't think about building a French aircraft in British markings for this Campaign!!!

Allez la France!

Jean-Luc
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 08:19 AM UTC
Since school is killing me with homework and the start date is next year I will join, I have no idea of what to build there are no french aircraft in my stash. Plenty of time to figure that out and get some ideas from the rest of you.

Robert
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi there

I took the plunge too and enlisted today and there are plenty of suitable kits in my stash. I'm thinking of tackling the Battle Axe Bloch 174 at the moment, but it looks such a nightmare I'm not sure if I dare go for it (like a certain Halifax, it's got "eat my shorts!" written all over it! )...

All the best

Rowan
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

This is only my opinion, but I would say no to the Eurofighter Typhoon. The French weren't involved in the design of the aircraft. They wanted a multirole combat jet and designed the Rafale instead.
I think there are enough 100% french designs to choose from and please, don't think about building a French aircraft in British markings for this Campaign!!!

Allez la France!

Fair enough, it would be trés cheeky to dress a French bird up in British colours
Oh well, back to the drawing board ...
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:36 AM UTC
Nieuports are so much simpler, and create less contreversy.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:52 PM UTC
Hi Carl:
That sounds like an insperation to me. I have always loved the 11 and 17.

Robert
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
I've signed up as well. Of course this campaign would be proposed right when i was actually building an MS406 wouldn't it? That would have made a good subject for this campaign!

Anyway, i'll probably do the Hobby Boss Mirage IIIC in SAAF markings. I would do a Falcon 900 if only someone would kit one. The Mirage was for the Speed campaign, but i've changed that to an F-104 in special markings now.

I have a soft spot for Dassault aircraft, having worked on few over the years. In fact the Falcon is the only aircraft i've ever worked on and still liked afterwards!

Andrew
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 07:06 PM UTC
Salut, les mecs!

Having delved further into the range of available kits, I just might once again cross the border into "the other scale". I'm mainly thinking about a Super Mystère in Israeli colours, and I believe that there are only two(!?!) kits of this beautiful and important aircraft around. One old Airfix (no, I'm not going there...) in 1/72, and one reportedly difficult but nice one from FM in 1/48. Azur has had a Super Mystere in 1/72 listed as "Future releases" for a very long time now, but unless this is released before the start of the campaign, I'm seriously planning to go with FM.

It's either that or another Mirage IIICJ (and I'm NOT building another AML 1/72 for a while - I actually have to finish the one I'm building for the Aces-campaign, come to think of it, hmm looks like I got my Sunday evening planned...).

Au revoir! / L'Ours Polaire
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hi. I just enlisted to this campaign. I thought I would build Academy's 1/32 Nieuport 17, but I'm not quite sure yet: I've got a Mirage III somewhere in the apartment, that would cool too, right?

Oh, one more thing: would it be okay to enter with a helicopter? I was glancing at a Gazelle the other day, isn't that of French design?
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 06:31 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Petri. Both Mirage and helo is ok, as long as its made in France and it flies. I am not a expert on french helicopters, so I cant say if Gazalle is french or not, but I'm sure someone here knows it better.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. I just enlisted to this campaign. I thought I would build Academy's 1/32 Nieuport 17, but I'm not quite sure yet: I've got a Mirage III somewhere in the apartment, that would cool too, right?

Oh, one more thing: would it be okay to enter with a helicopter? I was glancing at a Gazelle the other day, isn't that of French design?

An Aérospatiale Gazelle would be a very welcome build - you don't see many helicopters around here!
Sluff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard Petri.

Thanks Tuomas

I decided to rule out the Mirage, so it's either Spad or Gazelle. Luckily there's still time...
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Just discovered this Campaign, after finishing the Battle for Europe one.

Not sure what to build, as it's quite a ways away, still. Eduard Nieuport 17, Eduard SPAD (although I've already built one of each, so far). Maybe find one of the "different" kits I have, such as the Airkits (?) MoS Type P or the HR Nieuport 10.

Or, go 'tweener. Since I have the AZ Models SPAD 51, I think I'll be working on that one.

So many choices it's difficult to decide right now. As the time to start approaches I'll narrow my options down further.
McCarbon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi
I would like to ask, if you received any information about model kit available of Nieuport Delage NiD.29 C in 1/48

thank you
Petr
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
'Allo 'allo et bonjour, thizz izz KittyBoy!

I just sign up and I am sure gonna join. I got a few French thingies on my stash, and more ore less got my doubts with what subject to join. My first thought was to join with Eduard's SPAD XIII, but to give this GB an extra French dimension, I figured won't it be nice to join with a kit from a French manufacturer? That could either be Heller's Morane Saulnier MS 225 or High Tech's Brequet Br.14. This will depend on the time I can spend on this GB.

Salut!, Nicolas

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
The LHS can't get hold of SMER's potez 540 so to give myself an easy time I got Tamiya's D.520 instead.
Be a nice change to the challenges I've had with old and not so old ill fitting kits.
No vichy colours in the box but we shall see those yellow and
red stripes are just too tempting.