Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Ronnie RAAF Campaign
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hmmm on a second thought I may do an A-4 too. Anything with a 4 is good:}
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm on a second thought I may do an A-4 too. Anything with a 4 is good:}

Sorry but the A-4 was never used by the RAAF so it doesn't meet the criteria.
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi all,
I'm thinking of joining this campaign and I want to do a Vietnam War era aircraft I was thinking of a RAAF Canberra B20 (I think this is the correct version?). I want to do it in 1/48 scale so firstly does anyoner do decals for the RAAF Canberra and secondly what would be the best kit to use?
Hope you can help.
David
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:42 AM UTC
I'm in. There's an Italeri 1/48 Phantom at the LHS with my name all over it
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC
Since this campaign starts tomorrow, i've been spending the last hour or so deciding upon my exact subject. I knew it would be a P40N, but what aircraft. Well since i have Tally-Ho sheet 48-004 i've decided to do "Watch my Form" of 78 Sqn RAAF (was also used by 80 Sqn) on Noemfoor Island. Often flown by Flt.Sgt. D. Smyth.

There are a few interpretations on this aircrafts colours! I think Tally-Ho got almost everything wrong...especially the upper surfaces being Foilage Green. This is my prefered interpretation:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/08/stuff_eng_grzywocz_p40.htm

These aircraft were all delivered in OD/NG and i don't see why they would have taken the time, not to mention the added weight, of overpainting in Foilage Green. And anyway, the undersides definately appear to be Neutral Grey to me. Anyway, mine will be OD/NG and all the experts can argue about as much as they like!

Will be making a start tomorrow using the Hasegawa kit.

Andrew
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 06:41 PM UTC
I got a 1/48 Hasegawa P40e-1 from Milne Bay and if time permits a couple of other subjects, either a Lysander III, a Hurricane I trop, a Mk Vb Spit, or a Spitfire VIII, or a 'Colonial' Beaufighter.

I'll see what eventuates after the P40e as to what is built as a second choice subject.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 08:22 PM UTC
Get ready....
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
As Murray Walker would say, "Go! Go! Go!".

Good luck to all participants.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 12:45 AM UTC
Here's the first progress pics for this campaign. I have to admit the P-40 series are my favourite US made aircraft of WW2... lots of different users and interesting artwork, i could probably end up building as many P-40's as Bf109's and Fw190's. Almost.

This one is flying together so far, i know some people hate the Hasegawa inserts, i just consider it a part of model making...different manufacturers have different styles- i like them all. Anyway, whether you like the way Hasegawa does things or not, their P-40's are the best in this scale in my opinion.

The major airframe parts are together. Just the wing to fuselage and those gun inserts left to cause possible trouble now.

As mentioned in the earlier post, this will be the RAAF 78Sqn aircraft "Watch my Form".

Andrew
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Lookin' good Andrew! I haven't built a P-40 for ages.. Maybe now is the time.

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi all,

I've completed the cockpit area of my P-40e, this is Hasegawa's P-40E-1 [having the standard round exhaust outlets], {basicly a refitted and up armed D model}.
I based my subject on a 76 Sqn Milne Bay defender - sadly this particular aircraft had a very short operational life span.

This assembly is all OOB, the weathering is a combination of Tamiya 'Weathering Master' sets A and C, for the silvering and light dust.

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hey guys

I'm in on this one. Building the 1/72 Academy F/A-18A OOB. I won't be starting for a few weeks as I am about to move house. Will post some pics once I'm underway.

Enjoy all
Damian
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
Ready for the primer already. The much discussed inserts for this model actually gave very little trouble. The rear cockpit insert needing the most filler, but still easy. I overscribed the surrounding panel lines before assembly of the inserts just to make it easier to sand without losing the lines. It worked well.

The wing to fuselage join needed a bit of help using masking tape from wing tip to wing tip to achieve the needed dihedral (my lower wing was a bit flat from being squashed inside the box), the result was a completely filler less join in the end.

I like this kit so much that i've already started the early E version that i also have, though it will not be in RAAF marking so won't appear in this thread. Incidentally the "E" model inserts don't seem to fit quite as well as the "N", so i think the N's are an easier kit to build of Hasegawa's P-40 series. I really wish that Hasegawa would make a complete new fuselage and kit the Merlin powered aircraft.

Andrew
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi All,

I've applied the cammo to my P-40e-1 KittyHawk, {commonly refered too as the 'Tommorow Hawk's', due to their late arrival into the battlefield}, using Model Master enamels of Olive Drab / Tan over the USAAC's Azure Blue, which was mixed using Humbrol enamel #47 and White on a 50/50 mix, {this colour was commonly called RAAF Sky Blue, but was diluted with the addition of larger amounts of white paint, - more like 25% of Humbrol #47 + 75% White}.

The cammo is a Curtiss factory applied imitation RAF temperate land scheme, using Dupont manufactured colours.

After masking the lower colour scheme, the upper surfaces Olive Drab and Tan was applied free hand.

The spinner and prop, main undercarriage legs, main and tail wheel or, the Neutral Grey main wheel covers have not yet been added to the model.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Looking good Rob.

I have been sidetracked by a gift for my father-in-laws birthday. He loves trains and i am building him a WR 360 C12 to keep his big BR52 company.. Both of which are Trumpeter 1/35 offerings.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC
My P-40N has also had all the colours sprayed on today...quite a bit of masking in the end. I'm using an interpetation for this aircraft that has been researched by some others and can be found if you look around on the internet. It is still somewhat speculative, but most schemes are when you base things on only a couple of photos. The story goes that this aircraft had some of the nose panels replaced from another airframe that was written off and used for spares. Hence the lower cowl in blue instead of neutral grey. In my opinion it could also just be soiled white as well!

Maybe get the decals on tomorrow. Anyone familiar with Hasegawas P-40 range will see that my kit is the special boxing with the 15000th built- specially marked aircraft. It comes with a huge Cartograph decal sheet, but there are a few P-40N's that i wish to do before ever getting around to that one.

Andrew
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Andrew,
That's a neat looking subject so far. is it the first to carry the 'Watch my Form' motif, or is it the second that has 'Lucky 13' under the artwork ?

The decals are on my P40e, which have been taken from an OOP AeroMaster 'Shark Mouth Desert Hawk's' sheet, for the Shark Mouth motif, RAF Mustangs sheet for the roundals and Aussie Decals for the serial numbers.
The weathering is a combination of Tamiya "Weathering Master' sets, pastels and a 4b lead pencil used to highlight the panel lines.

Note: This subject does not carry the underwing RAAF roundals.

Now for the Spit Vb as A58-163 {the sole Spitfire Vb Trop to opperate with the RAAF

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
both of those p-40s are looking darned good. I love a good p-40!
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew,
That's a neat looking subject so far. is it the first to carry the 'Watch my Form' motif, or is it the second that has 'Lucky 13' under the artwork ?

Hi Rob, your P-40 looks great. As for my A/C i assume it's the second version of "Watch my Form" and that is the reason for the replacement cowling. Anyway it's serial A29-572 HUoP and the interpretation i'm using is pretty much the one researched by the Antipodean Hawks. I think the "Lucky 13" motto can be applied or left off for this aircraft as it seems to have gained it along the way at some point. I'll probably apply it. Of course i've seen this aircraft done in both OD/NG and Foilage Green/Sky Blue. I believe beyond any doubt that the undersides are definately NG, and therefore the uppers are probably OD- just as the aircraft were delivered. Anyway, once i make a decision it's what i stick with!

UPDATE: i've just seen another pic since writing the above, and also read some history on A29-572. I now believe it was the 1st "watch my form", as the new pic i saw shows a different A/C that looks almost new with an old engine cowling fitted with the nose art on it. This fits with the known history of A29-572 which states that it struck a tree during a ground attack mission and was afterwards used as spares to servicice other aircraft. Looking at the pic i also think the cowl is white underneath- just an extension of the white theatre ident markings, several other aircraft in the SQN lineup show the same thing, i may change that now before i decal my model. I also believe that all the aircraft in the pic are OD/NG, despite some appearing much darker- i think it is just newer airframes sitting next to old ones. OD faded badly and quite fast.

Andrew
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Very nice P-40s! I will join you guys soon with a Spitfire Vc.

More to follow
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
My entry is done! P-40N-15 serial A29-572, look for a brief history here- just plug in the serial number in the search bar and scroll down to the number: http://www.adf-serials.com/

Basically the aircraft was originally delivered to 80SQN and later to 78SQN after a visit to a repair depot. Later in it's career it gained the cowlings with "Watch my Form" nose art and was often flown by Llt.Sgt D. Smyth. After several accidents (including hitting a tree!) it was finally approved for scrapping to service other airframes.

The interpretation i've done is the pretty much that of the website Antipodean Hawks. However i now think that the lower forward cowling may really have been white. Not sure the reason why they decided the cowl intake is yellow? But it adds some colour anyway.

Decals from Tally-Ho sheet 48 004. Not the best decals i've used, they were very reluctant to sttle into the recessed detail...needing repaeated setting solution applications until finally submitting like they should have in the first place.

Andrew

RedHornet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hello all,

Just joined, and have in the stash a Hasegawa Spit VIII that I'm going to do as one of the lovely Grey Nurse squadron units.

Looking forward to sharing.

Scott
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
Well I was all set to go to the local hobby shop and get a 1/32 Hasegawa P-40, but when I got there they had a price tag of $82.50 on them. Nope. Too much.. Plan B will have to come into effect..
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 10:06 PM UTC
Hi all,

Having used the 48 scale Tamiya Spitfire Vb trop as the base for this particular RAAF subject, {which sadly will be sent of to the client who owns it very shortly}, all construction is as per box instructions.

The cockpit assembly and interior fuselage halves, the instrumentation is highlighted using a 0.5mm tech pen and a silver lead pencil, all other items are highlighted using Tamiya paints {such as the release cable for the cockpit entry, leather looking control handle and red fire control button}.

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC
Nice builds going on here guys and gals.. And a few finished already!!

I rummaged through my kits and found 2 candidates..

1/32 Trumpeter Mustang III in 3SQN markings, Italy 1944

or

1/144 Revell Globemaster III with aftermarket 36SQN decals.

Which one shall it be?