Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Ronnie RAAF Campaign
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 03:35 PM UTC
Magnus,

Your Winjeel is looking good so far, the 'Dayglo' stands out against the BMF applied. Did you use Tamiya AS-12, or another brand of can as the Bare Metal Finish ? I intend to use the Alclad II finishes on my C-47 BMF scheme.
If ever you decide to do a Mk I trop RAAF 'Hurricane' in the future there is an Aussie Decal sheet available covering the 4 schemes this sole bird carried in it's 4 year service.

I'm currently doing a Special Hobby Mk I Vengeance in 72 scale for a friend, so my Dakota has been put on hold for a week or two.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Rob! Paint is Tamiya TS-17, "Gloss Aluminium". I've opted for a painted aluminium look, not natural metal.

Magnus
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 03:43 PM UTC
Pity the campaign doesn't extend to Australian Flying Corps (RAAF predecessor) - I have a 2SQN AFC SE5a and a 3SQN AFC RE8 on the bench at the moment...!

BC
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
A new decal sheet really made a difference!

Build blog is here!

Magnus
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 04:50 PM UTC
Magnus,

Your Winjeel looks good so far, with a set of decals on it.

On a different note:
I managed to do a 72 scale Special Hobby Mk I Vengeance in RAAF service - More on this bird later.

But I am also moving house on the 31st, so modelling has been put on hold, untill after the move.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 04:51 PM UTC
That's OK Brad. Go for it.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:25 AM UTC
The Winjeel has finally landed!

Build blog is here!

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Great work Magnus, a really nice little build. You can never have too many Kangaroos either !!

Cheers, D
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:02 PM UTC
Excellant work Magnus! Second Damien on the flying skippy
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 01:24 AM UTC
Thanks for letting me be invoved Warren :-)

Here's the progress on my Australian Flying Corps SE5a. It's not RAAF, but it almost is!

I decided to paint her in the markings of 2/Lt. G C Logan of A flight, 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps. This aircraft was bought on charge with 2AFC on 5 January 1918 and lost 21 February 1918 when "Lt. Logan in B/619 left Aero. at 11.35 a.m. on Patrol and was last seen going towards the line. Pilot and machine missing. Struck off." The aircraft was downed by anti-aircraft fire, though Logan made a landing, nosed the aircraft over, and was made a POW. Here she is with some paint and decals on (still looking a little shiny from the gloss coat).

Next is flat coat, then the top wing can go on.

Feedback always welcomed.

Oh, and Magnus - lovely Winjeel!

BC
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC
Looking good Brad, lovely detailing.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Thank you all so much for the kind words about my Winjeel! It is important to me that you like it since the judges during last weekend's show didn't !

Brad! A very nice SE5a. Am I correct to assume that it is 1/32? When it comes to constructive comments: I think you need to tone down that exhaust tube, right now it looks like a spare part for an illicit whisky still ! I don't know what material they really were made from but I doubt it was copper since copper is neither especially light, nor very heat resistant. Apart from that: an awesome model that I would be really proud of if I was the builder!

Magnus
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 04:32 PM UTC
Hi Magnus - thanks for the feedback! Yes I agree the exhaust pipes are a little too bright - I will try to tone them down with some more washes / pastels. It's the 1/48 scale kit too

BC
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi chaps - my SE5a is finished. The aircraft is painted in the markings of 2/Lt G C Logan of A flight, 2 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps. This aircraft was bought on charge with 2AFC on 5 January 1918 and lost 21 February 1918 when "Lt. Logan in B/619 left Aero. at 11.35 a.m. on Patrol and was last seen going towards the line. Pilot and machine missing. Struck off." The aircraft was downed by anti-aircraft fire, though Logan made a landing, nosed the aircraft over, and was made a POW. (and before anyone asks, yes I have painted the upper wing code the correct way up)

All comments and feedback welcome.

BC
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
@all
you show some great planes in this thread! Congratulation! Unfortunatly I came across this campain a little too late to join and had no plans to build a flying kangaroo for this year. In 2007 I have build a RAAF Spit Mk. VIII out of the Revell kit (ex Hasegawa) with AeroMaster decals (UP o F /A58-517). It has been on quite some expos since then. I might build another one next year.
But first I have to build a BBBIIIGGG twin boomer for Twin Booms 2010 campain ....

Ciao
Torsten
lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi guys just joined the campaign... will be building Academy's P40N... having no AMS (no yet anyway!) i think this will be a quick build... hope I can make it!
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi there guys. Realy nice models up there. I am proudly announcing that I , the final minute guy, again, started and almost get to the point of painting for my Esci 1/72 F-4E Phantom II. I confused the deadlines of two campaignes so I was trying a 24 hour run but, alas, I won't menage it again. Anyways I still have time and I achieved progress. Now, my question is: was the SEA camoflage pattern on early slatless, slotless and short muzzlebreakered F-4Es in RAAF service same with their USAF sisters? If so which one? I am doing the Esci kit, as I mentioned, and couldn't be quiet shure it gave the right pattern. Anyways if there is someone who can help me I will be greateful, and hi to all....ROCK ON!!!!....Hmmm.." model on " will be more apropiate eh?
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC

Hi Mates!

Let’s go on with the Special Hobby CAC13 Boomerang!

As usual I’ll start with gluing all parts together before I’ll have to paint!

The Interior of this model is complete, all the way from the rear cockpit bulkhead to the engine and spinner

The most interesting feature with this approach will be to see if it all fits as intended?

As almost usual, the build starts wit the cockpit!
First the “cockpit cage” and the “floor” is glued together.
The Boomerang does not have as “floor” as such; it’s really the bottom of the hull!
The pilot is suspended on his seat and there’s a pair of footboards where he can rest his feet!
Note that the footboard MUST butt-join, just under the foot troughs, and NOT as I have assembled them here!
If you assemble them as I have done here, they will interfere with the rudder-pedal- and compass assembly (step2)!

Here are the pedals and the compass assembled a lovely combination of plastic, resin and metal!

A word of Caution to whoever attempts to build this kit!
The Parts-Number on the fuselage halves does NOT correspond to the numbers on the drawing!
Part A1 is the LEFT fuselage half, but it’s labelled A2 on the instructions!
As follows, part A2 is the RIGHT fuselage half but it’s marked as A1 on the the sprue-plans!

This caused some confusion, as there’s quite a lot of parts on each fuselage side!

On the fuselage sides there are small shelves, full of different details, almost 20 parts on this little shelf only!!

The instrument panel consists of 4 different panels that are assembled to form the complete IP.
In my kit I could not find part C6, I could simply not find it anywhere on the sprues!
I have read several build-reports whereas this part is missing, so it’s a possible (and known) error in the moulding process.
You have to make one yourself, or do as I did, just ignore it!

When the parts from step2 are dry they can be glued to the cockpit cage.
They fit just fine in the cage, but they are hanging a bit low (1-2mm) so be a bit cautious here!
Here you can also see the foot-boards in their CORRECT position!

More to come!

Stefan

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
Ok, let's show some progress to prove I am working:] It slowed down a little bit but going steady. I roughly applied two of the camoflage colors last night around and after midnight. :

And she is resting with the other sisters on the desk...for now.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Well, hopefully with my pending unemployment i can finish this one by the end of the campaign.

My Tamiya 1/48 scale Bristol Beaufighter Mk.21 (the airframes for the Mk.21s were built in Australia, making this even more appropriate for this campaign):

I am still working on cleaning up the shape of the sperry autopilot bulge on the nose (Tamiyas attempt was not well executed)'. Seams still being cleaned up. I will go with the overall foliage green scheme of the "green ghost squadron", which will speed up my painting phase considerably (plus i just like that one for some reason).
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hey Vance, your Beau is looking great so far. One of my club mates did a dio on "green Ghost Squadron", you should check it out . .

http://www.essmc.org.au/phil%20pietsch%2093%20squadron%20raaf%20green%20ghost%20beaufighter%20diorama.html

Cheers, D
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Vance, your Beau is looking great so far. One of my club mates did a dio on "green Ghost Squadron", you should check it out . .

http://www.essmc.org.au/phil%20pietsch%2093%20squadron%20raaf%20green%20ghost%20beaufighter%20diorama.html

Cheers, D

That's a sweet dio! the video was pretty cool too - strafing the lifeboats with beaufighters... OOF!

thanks for the link.
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:52 PM UTC
Couldn't help myself, another entry but this time a P-40N from Academy.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
Vance! Nice to see a Tamiya Beaufighter, it is not often that those are seen built!
Nick! Nice P-40! I have alway been a bit wary of the Academy kit but that one certainly looks good!

Magnus
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Thanks heaps Magnus! It was actually a very nice kit to put together, nice and clean. Still need to work on finishing them off properly, but getting there.
Vance, your Beau is really coming together nicely, making me want to go add one to the stash!