Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Ronnie RAAF Campaign
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 03:31 PM UTC
My sole RAAF Spitfire Vb trop is completed, the enamels are from Model Master for the upper surfaces and Humbrol's #47 toned down with a little #130.
Weathering is all pastel, along with the exhausts, muzzle flash and cordite stains, the chipped paint effect is from using a silver led pencil.

The serial number of this sole margue is A58-163 and coded 'X'
Sadly the AM decals silvered in places.

The mirror is used to avoid damage to photograph the under surfaces of the model subject.

Now to pack this subject into a box and send it too it's owner. And find the next too add, or maybe reserect, the uncompleted Beaufighter IVc subject from an earlier GB.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi all,

This Trumpeter 48 scale kit of the C-47 Dakota, I am in two minds as to which scheme I intend to do, for this subject, as I originaly intended on the high viz scheme [as per the pic of A65-119 - on the line at RAAF base East Sale]. But the Olive Drab / Neutral Grey, of the 'Biscuit Bomber' looks ok also. This kit has a lot of bits that make up the interior, as each troop seat has 3 pieces of PE to be added.

Interior of the Troop Seats and Cockpit views.

Kit parts to make up the radials and exhausts.

Inner narcelle and undercarraige mounts.
The smeared silvering, chipped paint and dust on the interior seats and floor is from the Tamiya 'Weathering Master' sets.

Some years ago I did the High Viz scheme on an older Monogram 'Skytrain' kit, for the RAAF's OTS as there subject of choice for the Dakota, if I do this kit in the same scheme I may have to make up some masks [using a compass cutter], to make the roundals for the high viz scheme.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 05:32 PM UTC
Rob, now that is a choice of subject that brings back memories for me! We still had an operational "Dak" when i was at ARDU in the mid 90's. It was our personal transport plane to get us to our little Woomera bomb dropping holidays. I'm pretty sure it had the high vis markings...problem was back then i wasn't a modeller any more so the thought of taking pictures and stuff didn't even occur to me. But i remember that the interior of ours was modified with sound proofing materials and was actually far more comfortable and quieter than flying on C130's. Just a bit slower!

We had another one in our hangar being restored...i think that one belonged to Papua New Guinea, from memory.

Andrew

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 02:00 PM UTC
I remember working on the one at Wagga back in the early 1980's.. and the C130A.. and climbing all over and through the Nepy and Canberra. I still remember the Vampire on the parade ground with the flagpole between its booms.. And that drum music.. oh that music I still remember after 29 years!!
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC
Andrew,

I had thought of doing the ARDU scheme on a friends, 72 Italeri kit Dakota, mostly by painting all the appropriate areas and mixing up some various decals for the markings, as I have the old instruction sheet for the original release from Roo decal of the 'Dak' that shows the ARDU high viz scheme used at the time, I had seen in a magazine somewhere a few years back a colour pic of the low viz scheme, that was tested on one of the 'Dak's' sometime in 2000.

I was talking to a local decal manufacturer a couple of months back about resurecting the old Roo Dakota sheet, for this particular Trumpeter kit, with a couple of '39 - '45 RAAF options, not just the air ambulance.
Maybe time will tell as to what appears on the market.

Waren,

I remember that music also from my years in the Army.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 06:44 PM UTC
I have that old Roo Decals sheet in 1/72...
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi all,

The PE belts are fitted to the troop seats [3 pieces per seat] I added foil to the rear of the roof lights [for a little extra realism] and completed [well minus the lowered flaps], the main wing sections, now it's up to joining the fuselage together and fit the wings in place

PE belts.

Interior centreline roof lighting.
The silverish scuffing applied on the floor and seats, is from the Tamiya 'Weathering Master' set.

Main wing section. [The Luftwaffe decals are for a Tamiya Fw 190F8 in RLM 78 over RLM 79 with an RLM 80 mottle - which was resurected while waiting for both paint and glue to dry].

This model has 338 bits of plastic without counting the PE fret or white metal landing gear [which I have not used on this build]
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hmmm on a second thought I may do an A-4 too. Anything with a 4 is good:}

Sorry but the A-4 was never used by the RAAF so it doesn't meet the criteria.

Oh? What the ink I mistaken it with? I seem to remember the roo soundel on an A-4 ina paining guide....I am getting old, plese do excuse me....
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
Oh dank!!!! It was the Navy...Totaly sorry....
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
That's OK mate. Everyon ehas memory lapses..

You MAY be able to stretch the link by saying that the RAN Skyhawks were used by the Defence Forces as aggressors for the RAAF....
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 09:08 PM UTC
Rob, excellent choice for this campaign. The interior looks great. All that work with the PE really pays of.

Looking forward to see more.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC
Jesper,

Thanks for the kind words on the C-47 troop interior, seems a pity to close the cargo doors on this bird after all the PE was attached.
Maybe when I finish this Dakota build, I maybe able to resurect the Beaufighter Mk IVc I intended to do for your Pacific campaign, some time back, as a 'Battle of the Bismarck Sea' veteran, but never got past the cockpit interior assembly on it.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
You could always do a cutaway fuselage Rob. Not too hard with a hot knife.. But it may break your heart cutting into a lovely fuselage like that..

I might even get to start my C-17 today!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
I feel a bit left behind since some of you are so efficient with already a few finished models in the thread! I haven't gotten further than deciding what to build, it will be this little beauty:

Magnus
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 08:27 AM UTC
I think I actually worked on that plane Magnus! Never flew one though..
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I actually worked on that plane Magnus! Never flew one though..

That's cool Warren, I might settle for that one then!

Magnus
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Go for it!!
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
I've resurected my Italeri boxing of the Douglas A20g Boston IV of 22 Sqn, which I've added a raft made from tissue and white glue. The wing walks are actually painted, flat red then flat black, using 1mm and 2mm masking tape.

Magnus,

The old Winjeel brings back a few memories, had the honor to fly in one many years ago, I know someone who owns the real thing, a few were given a new life and resurected back in the early '80's as FAC's. I don't know if they are still in use as such, but they had an interesting cammo scheme.

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
The Winjeel FACs were retired many moons ago. They now use PC9s for the task, or did last time I looked!!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.

For those who would like to use it here is the address of the Ronnie RAAF banner! Woohoo!!

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/1921_2009_copy_copy.jpg
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 11:17 AM UTC
Sometimes you just have to laugh or this hobby would send you nuts!

All the way through the build of my C-17 I have been sitting it on its wheel-less undercarriage and it has always sat on its nose gear. Just put the wheels on and it is a tail sitter....

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 05:42 PM UTC
And then this happened to the decals after I sprayed on the clear coat...

What the hell happened there?? The ultimate in silvering?? Argh! Some of the white spots have come off but not alll of them. Hope another clear coat fixes it...

Ever had one of those models you just want to finish so you can move one?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC
After another clear coat it fixed most of the problem.. But not all...

This is the 1/144 Revell C-17 Globemaster III in 36SQN markings. I crawled over this aircraft at Amberley last year. The white spots are from the earlier disaster but I can live with them.

Next up I may even get aroung to finishing my 1/72 33SQN B707 Tanker in high-viz markings. If my sanity lasts that is!!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Magnus,

The old Winjeel brings back a few memories, had the honor to fly in one many years ago, I know someone who owns the real thing, a few were given a new life and resurected back in the early '80's as FAC's. I don't know if they are still in use as such, but they had an interesting cammo scheme.

Rob! There are a few FAC-birds included in the kit (there must be more than ten different options all in all!) but since it was primarily a trainer I want it to look like a trainer so it will be high-viz for certain! I saw a listing that out of the sixty built, "30+" are still flying as warbirds, that's good statistics for an aircraft that was retired fifteen years ago from military service! It must have been nice to have flown in one, being taken aloft by a radial engine isn't very common any longer!

Magnus
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC
Magnus,

The High viz on your Winjeel build would be a good addition to the High viz scheme I want to apply to the Trumpeter C 47 that I'm doing to this campaign. Are you using Alclad for the BMF on this bird ?

Hope this pic is of some helps a little.

Warren,

Excellent C-17 you have done. I know what you mean with the 707 tanker, had to do one for the RAAF as part of their contract, I passed this particular build onto a friend too complete.

I've done a little more to my resurected A20g, note that I drilled out the perferations on the inside of the cockpit roof hatch and have added a little 'Battle Damage' in field repair. Still a long way to go on this.

Note: The drilled out perforations.