Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Dual Build
Eduard 1:48 Pfalz D.IIIa
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 06:49 AM UTC

To begin the rigging, I used a black "Sharpie" to color the first two rigging lines so they are easier to see in the pictures and inserted them in the pre-drilled holes.

Then I pulled them through the lower wing, always checking the rigging diagram to make sure I have them in the correct holes.

Then I used super-thin "Super Glue" to glue the top wing rigging lines and let them dry. Then I glued the bottom wing lines and secured he ends with tape to hold the tension until the glue dried.

Then I used a new curved blade to cut off the excess line on the top and the bottom of the line flush to the wing.

What I suggest is to run ALL of the rigging lines to make sure you have them all installed before you glue any holes shut. As you can see there can be two (or sometimes three) lines through one hole. That way there is less chance of realizing there should have been another line to go through the hole and you have to re-drill it and start over again.

And here is the wing rigging finished up.

In all it took me about an hour and a half to rig the wings with this method.

Mark
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC
Mark,
Your rigging was well planned and executed! Very well done!
RAGIII
Intrepid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
I have been reading the current build on the Pfalz D.IIIa kit. I must disagree with eduard on two point so far:

The regular pilot of D.IIIa 5947/17 is unknown. I have two photos of it, one with ground crew and one with Ltn. Freiherr von der Horst. Buddecke flew D.IIIa 5983/17 during his brief service with Jasta 30.

The only Pfalz D.IIIa with pointed wingtips was the D.IIIa prototype D.4165/17. It is most likely the aircraft flown by first Vzfw.
Hitschler and later by Ltn. Hans von Buttlar.

I base what I have written on the published works of both Peter Grosz and Jack Herris.

Sincerely,

Marlon Schultz
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 04:04 PM UTC
I must concur (at least partially) with my illustrious colleage. Ladies and gentlemen let me introduce one of the people I think of as a talented modeler. Mr. Marlon Schultz. I am sure most of you remember this.

Showcase on talent.

Quoted Text

I have been reading the current build on the Pfalz D.IIIa kit. I must disagree with eduard on two point(s) so far:

The regular pilot of D.IIIa 5947/17 is unknown. I have two photos of it, one with ground crew and one with Ltn. Freiherr von der Horst. Buddecke flew D.IIIa 5983/17 during his brief service with Jasta 30.

But as commander he flew whatever machine was on the start line as a method of keeping flight crews on their toes. MvR used the same practice. Every day there were specific aircraft from the Jasta(s) detailed for "ready line duty." He would take a hop over to a neighbouring Jasta for a meeting and if he climbed into a machine on the ready line that would not start, there might be a crew headed for the front lines and infantry duty in the trenches. One such trip was to jasta 5 on march 15, 1918 and he flew dr.I 525/17 from Jasta 6.

Quoted Text

". . . The only Pfalz D.IIIa with pointed wingtips was the D.IIIa prototype D.4165/17. It is most likely the aircraft flown by first Vzfw. Hitschler and later by Ltn. Hans von Buttlar. . ."

I base what I have written on the published works of both Peter Grosz and Jack Herris.

Sincerely,
Marlon Schultz

This is true. You see we know that Haupt. Berthold flew a D.III and later a D.IIIa. Both with the winged sword insignia. The red/ blue line should be further forward if memory serves.

But D.IIIa. 4165/17 Probably carried the hunting horn and before that an equa-distant series of white bands around the fuselage.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
Mark , you are making fantastic progress on your build ! The rigging is super and the how to is nice and clear to follow , excellent job my friend !!! Now my only question is , how do you find the time ? Lately it seems I only have the time on weekends ............

I have finished masking of the green tail sections and will be spraying colours here this weekend and will start with my choosen rigging method . Pic's will be up soon ...............
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
Thanks Rick and Terri. I hope the tutorial helps a few people out there who want to try the "through the wing" rigging technique.

Here is my finished build with MANY pictures. I had a blast building it.

Terri - I'll remain flying over our Aerodrome providing cover until your build is done.

A special thanks to Rowan and Eduard for the opportunity to build the kit.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
Thank-you Mark !

You have done one fantastic job on your build , very impressive

Cheers my friend !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 06:03 PM UTC
Nicely Done Mark and a clean build she is.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC
Mark.. Yes she turned out just great, very swift work I have to say.
A very nice clean well built piece of work, good detail, I love how the fuel lines turned out. theres things I would have done differently but thats personal preference, I can't fault your work.

It will be interesting to see how Terri's turns out with the preshading and all, the two building and finishing styles will hopefully give us all an education.

Keith
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC

Thanks, everyone.

Keith, I know what you mean. I wanted to show how you could make a very nice model out of the box so I kept this build very basic with next to no weathering. I always assume that it's mainly people who are here to learn something who are watching my builds and are not here just admire a picture. That's why I added the control lines and fuel and radiator lines to show you can add a little something here or there to make your model a little more personalized. Most of the 1/48 Pfalz models I see online don't have the fuel lines and that's OK and they are very fine looking models. And that's why I did the rigging tutorial. I have friends of mine who are into 1/35 scale armor and are REALLY good at it and even they ask me how I do the rigging on my models. One of the things I like about this site is that I can post as many pictures as I need to to show what I'm doing and I get a lot of great feedback.

I liked the build so much I just bought two Pfalz "Dual build" boxes for myself. I took notes along the way of things I would change, reposition or scratchbuild for my next Pfalz build to superdetail it.

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hi all,

I just noticed I posted pictures from the wrong folder. I've posted the correct pics in their place.

Mark
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 02:17 PM UTC
Mark,

Really cool out-of-the-box build. Sometimes it's good to take a break from AMS and put something together without worrying over every little detail. I myself usually keep it simple most of the time, I can finish more kits that way.

Looking forward to seeing what Ms Teri has up next.

Great work you two,
Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC
I had a great chance to sit at the bench over the weekend and relax in vegitable way !

Being able to get done more than I thought I would things are shaping nicely ......starting to look like a plane more and more ....

I tried my best on masking the red out line on the tail . Over all it turned out well , but could have been done better .

Post shading turned out really well , but don't know if the camera pick it out well .

Rigging holes have been drill except for the upper lower wing . So this is where I leave off .............................

until next time
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 02:10 PM UTC

Very nice terri, love that red.

Mark
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
Mark, the rigging looks good. Nice photo work too.
Terri, I like the results of the mask. Looks good.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 04:53 PM UTC
Excellent progress Terri! In a vegtable way? I think they have medication for that now? Model On!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
very nice Terri, sharp colours, I can see theres a few bits need work but she looks to be shaping up really nice.
I think the preshading works well, I wasnt sure about how it might look at first with the silver finish. It turned out well, very subtle in the pics at least

That vermilloin red just glows so nicely to contrast with the silver and dk green.

I can't wait to see the two finished works

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks guy's !

I was on meds at the time Stephen , those pink pills do wonders !!

The camera doesn't show the whole effect of the per-shading very well , lighting was off . The green shows up darker then it really is making it look black in colour and it's red stripes on the wings not orange .

There is about 7 coats of the grey/silver sparyed on in very light coats , some areas got a little more to break it up a bit . To help the paint dry fast flat laquer base was added to the paint . Wasn't to sure on the red so the airframe was frist sparyed Tamiya flat red . Then I added clear red to it and re-sprayed with a coat of future .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 05:15 PM UTC
Well I have been some what of a busy girl and got some more progress done in the past few days . Not much but some !

The guns have been put together painted and glued in place . The guns do sit to high on the kit . They should be sitting lower .
Tail skid is painted and in place . Exsuate is drilled out , fix into place as well . ( no finger tips where lost either in the drilling and clean up with a knife ! )
Touch ups have been made as well .

Next comes the struts and starting the rigging ..............................

I just notice that I have one of the cocking levers folded wrong !!!!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 05:58 PM UTC
Sorry,Terri but the guns are sitting way too high. It looks like they will bump against the underside of the top wing.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
I have to agree with Stephen Terri you may have to trim the base of the breech assembly or something, I honestly think if you don't it will ruin an otherwise lovely build......you know the old "Stick out lik a sore thumb" saying.

looking beautiful otherwise.

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Thanks guys , good thing the guns are only tacked in place with small amounts of glue . At least I didn't get tenax happy ! What i would really like to do is cut the gun decking and scratch in a new one going by the datafiles . I also feel that the guns are just a little to far a part as well and should be just a tad closer together and add gun sights . None are inclued in the kit . I measured and two mil have to come off the bottoms of the guns which in turn will give them that lower stance in the fuselage ......I hope !
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC
Terri you know what happens if you start doing one tiny part? then the next part looks a little odd so I'll just.....and on and on and on till you have more parts than the kit started out with...And then you find the damn engines too big after all.....whistles.......

take it from one who knows ;-)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri you know what happens if you start doing one tiny part? then the next part looks a little odd so I'll just.....and on and on and on till you have more parts than the kit started out with...And then you find the damn engines too big after all.....whistles.......take it from one who knows ;-)

From somewhere in Narnia; "I hear whistling. . .Hey out there they have medicine for that!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 01:59 PM UTC
I hear yah Keith !

Next one I do I will go just nut's with the detailling . Still have five more in the stash !!!

Stephen , already have some