Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Dual Build
Eduard 1:48 Pfalz D.IIIa
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 05:06 PM UTC
I have had an inquiry asking if this scheme that Terri is building, historically accurate?

In the Jagdstaffel 5 Datafile Special from Albatros publications, you have a pic of this aircraft in a hangar of the Jasta 5, just beyond a Fokker and the profile is given on plan view of this publication,picture on page 18 pic #77.

Dan San Abbott says, ". . . after having reviewed the photgraph of the Jasta 6 Fok.Dr.I that MvR used to visit Jasta 5 prior to Operation Michael which was to commence on 21 March 1918. It certainly appears there is a Pfalz D.III(a) in the hangar in the background. I am not sure the dark color is forward of the cockpit. It would be uncharacteristic to paint the entite fuselage in Jasta 5. However nothing is impossible. I always thought that Pfalz was a visitor?

The background on Dan's comments are in reference to Manfred von Richthofen visiting Jasta 5 before "Operation Michael ." As mentioned previously here MvR would walk out to the ready line choose an aircraft and go to local units for meetings. Thats how the Dr.I wound up at jasta 5. The Pfalz on the other hand is a whole different story and it was not uncommon to find them in units as a single example or in twos. Even Jasta 11 had their Pfalz D.III.

Note also that units sometimes had to take replacement aircraft and the depot sent whatever they had available. So the scheme on this Pfalz D.IIIa may not be Jasta 5 typical for the time, but Jasta 5 was in transition to receiving some older Jasta 11 Dr.I types as well.

What was it Hauptmann Heidemann said to Bruno Stachel? ". . .upto date machines go to experienced pilots and both are in short supply. . ."

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 05:26 AM UTC
More times was spent in front of the work bench with the build moving a long nicely .

Before mounting the top wing drill all rigging holes needed . Only drill half way through . Don't drill through the wing . Starting with fine steel or brass wire , try and stay away from the copper if you can , it's to soft . Cut small lenghts of wire . Take a small drill bit ( I like smaller but my broke ! ) fold it over the drill bit and pinch as close as you can , twist the drill bit around a few times . 7 will do . You should now have a small hoop . Taking a hoop test fit it in one of the rigging holes and trim to lenght . ( the bottom of the hoop should be just touching the wing . Place a small drop of medium super glue in the hole and place the hoop stub in . Minus the control surface more on that later . Do this to all of the rigging holes . Let this set and mount the struts and wings ..............

Once this has fully cured time to start the rigging .

You will need Q-tips ( plastic ones ) smoke invisible thread , thin super glue , tweezers , shape knife and candle . Cut the ends of the Q-tips off and hold under the candle flame , same as doing stretched spruce . It takes me a few to get the right diameter . ..........................

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 07:42 AM UTC
Excellent work.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC

Very, very nice Terri!!!

What did you use for the radiator pipe and how did you bend it?

Mark
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 04:08 PM UTC
OMG...Terri, you are my hero! I've heard about the rigging technique you're using, but honestly never got it. Your pics make it perfectly understandable. I can't thank you enough for clearing up a mystery to me. Maybe, just maybe, there is a bi-plane in my future after all...

By the way, I'm loving what you're doing with your D.IIIa. Awesome work.

Cheers,
Mike
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 05:11 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen ! I really glad you are enjoying the build so far .

MJ , no trouble at all . I have read on the forums before about rigging but no one really shares their tips on it or at least in pictures . I started this method 6 planes ago and there is no turning back !! I do it in different ways as well sometimes with a mix of PE parts .
It's very easy to do just takes a bit of time .

Thanks Mark . Even though I'm a little behind it has been an enjoyable build so far .
I made the rad pipe with brass rod and used flat nose pilers to make the bends following the windsock plans . I had to make two though , frist one was to short

Okay more with the rigging ................................Cut the Q-tip in 3mm lenghts you might have to open the ends with a sewing needle . Slip a strand of smoke thread give your self lots to work with . Now slip one of the q-tip pieces on to the thread and slip it down . Now feed the thread through one of the hoops bring it around and back thread it through again . Holding the one strand pull on the other and this will shinch it down . Just touch the wire in front of the q-tip piece and the glue will flow in . ( super thin super glue ) Let this set for a few seconds and repeat in the corsponeding hoop . Rebeat for all . The right side is done minus the control cables and outer bracing wire .

Also be very careful when trimming off the excess and that you don't cut the wrong wire like I do sometimes !

That's all for now folks !
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 09:56 PM UTC
Very cool Terry, The rigging looks flawless.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Terri,

That's one of the best tutorials I've seen on how to do rigging that way. A great learning experience and great work!!

Mark
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 12:07 AM UTC
Great idea with the rigging, I agree with Mark. Time to strat doing it myself
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

Fantastic job on the rigging! The pictures are very informative too. This will make an excellent feature for sure...

Jean-Luc

P.S. Did you sent me the pictures of your Fokker already? I can't seem to find them on my hard disk.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hey thanks guy's !

I'm almost done with the rigging and just have to finish off the prop and she is done !!

Thanks for tuning in and following the builds

Jean-Luc , I got busy with other stuff and forgot about them ! I'll try and get them to you soon .
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 07:30 PM UTC
Simply beautiful ! congratulations Terri
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Teri,

Great work and an excellent tutorial!!!!!! I will be trying this method out on one of my next builds.
Outstanding.

Regards, Dwayne
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Okay here you go guy's ! The build is now finished ...........................

I have more pic's to post later on tonight , having some trouble with my gallery ..................

Thanks for following the builds !
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
Terri,

Very nice finish. I really appreciate you doing the build with me!! It's been a blast.

Now, are you ready to head to the Front with me? I've heard there are some Sopwith Camels causing some trouble over there and it's up to us to take care of them.

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 06:13 AM UTC
Lovely Terri, she turned out really quite stunning, I love the choice of markings and the riggings quite inspiring, your Qtips must be different plastic to th cheap ones here I have melted a tub almost trying to practice that. :-)

One teeeeeeeensi thing I saw on both builds , maybe run a little dark in the line on the rudder to give it a little definition. especially over the decal.

K
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
Thanks Mark ! It was a fun build with you and I'm glad it was a nice smooth build . Even if there is a few cat hairs , guess my cat help as well . Thank-you Blue the cat !

Thank you as well Keith . Not sure of the name brand of q-tips though something which I pick up at the dollas store a long time ago . If you heat it up tomuch it won't work right it does take some pratice ........

It is a very simple kit to build it almost falls together . Perfect for the frist timer to the more advance builders . I must amitt , I was very nervous about this build being done for the site and having it just right . There are some big shoes to fill around here .

Here are some more pic's for you all ! .................................

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC
Seems to me Terri that you just filled those boots.... how many pairs of socks?

Both beautiful builds, slightly different approaches, shows people's different ways of reaching the same end. Something that might be a good idea to carry on doing.

Congrats to you both
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 05:33 PM UTC
Wow! Most impressive the both of you! A liittle bit of frosting on the cake if you don't mind. Stand by.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
Terri,
Just another WELL DONE! I
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 06:04 AM UTC
Keith , a Lady never tells her shoe size !

Thanks Rick !

Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
Outstanding work Terri. The shading, as well as the rigging turned out great. Everything looks spot on. Glad to see the efforts paid off. Nice paint and decal work too.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! Most impressive the both of you! A liittle bit of frosting on the cake if you don't mind. Stand by.

So here is the end of this tale.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Mark and Terri

That's fantastic! You've both done us proud. What a great result to come back from holiday and find.

All the best

Rowan
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC
Awesome work, Mark and Terri. .

It's always a pleasure to see the Pro's at work. And Terri, can't thank you enough for the great demonstration of your rigging technique.

What will you two tackle next???.....

cheers,
Mike