_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-4 "Turbo" Hasegawa 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 07:18 AM UTC
Rebyata

Aeroscale is lame these days ... you force me to start another thread just to start a thread ... it is kind of a fraud as i have these pix in the Würger thread already .. but I am at it again and I solved my latest problem with that kit (last pic is new) .. so here we go:

Hasegawas Fw 190 A-4 (Egon Mayer) with altitude intakes

As you can see Hasegawa provided the wrong intakes .... hope I get that darn things re-shaped

I glued in the new Eduard part for the glare cover but somhow it just is tooooooo broad. I tried to fit the canopy above it. but I was not happy .. and sat it aside for some weeks (might be months now)

I removed the wind shield and cut the PE part in 3 and repositioned it. Looks better now and the canopy fits better too.. i also installe the u/c as I prefer my models to stand on their legs for painting/drying ....

more to come .. hopefully soon

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, I really feel the enthusiasm my project stirs among the crowd ...

Here is a small update. I cut a slot in the head rest mount and drilled a hole in the sliding hood . it is for the antenna wire. Written fast but including painting and decal it took me an hour or so. When it is all dry I will mount the head armour to the canopy, attach the wire and glue the canopy on the fuselage.

cheers

Steffen
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
Do you want me to build my Spitfire in a high-atlitude version for a dog-fighting with your Focke-Wulf? Is this a kind of provocation, ha? ;P

Interesting project, I'm gonna stay and watch your hands...

dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
A very interest project that you´re begining Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks Michal

... now I know at least one Aeroscaler is looking what I do .. just kidding, of course it is "just another Würger" and it is no fancy all hatches open build either.

As for the Spit ... do whatever you want. as it is your fun that matters.. Though I must say that Duel Campaign in 2006 was really fun ... IIRC I had 3 or 4 "dog fights" then (completed!)

cheers

Steffen

P.S. o.k. make that 2 modelers watching (I've just seen your post Daniel, thanks mate!)
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Are those after market intakes or have you casted them by yourself?

I watch your pictures horrified, don't you ever break landing gear when keeping the plane stand on them? They look really fragile.

P.S Don't be sad, most of us just read and are too lazy to comment. Not builders fault.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:50 AM UTC
Now you have 3 people watching your thread - little crowd...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are those after market intakes or have you casted them by yourself?

I watch your pictures horrified, don't you ever break landing gear when keeping the plane stand on them? They look really fragile.

P.S Don't be sad, most of us just read and are too lazy to comment. Not builders fault.

Hi Tuomas

thanks for watching .. i know that quite a few people had a look at the thread and as there was not much new stuff there was also not much to comment on. I just want to stir the pot a bit so that we get a bit more action on Aeroscale. Of course it is this time of the year when most people prefer to "watch the rain falling", but some still model and those should post their projects to entertain the others

the intakes were part of the Hasegawa box:

but of the wrong style (see above). I altered the kit parts. Maybe i have to redo them again, but I will wait how it all looks with a layer of primer on.

As for breaking parts .. one of my favorite things ... really just broke a leg yesterday. but they most often break at the top where the leg goes into the wing and it is easy to drill a hole and glue in a wire (i got used to it" Still I prefer this over finger prints on the model ... just my stupid way of doing things . You know my favorite slogan ? ... suum cuique

just glued the canopy to the model .. it is still not broken and clear .. should mask it ASAP

all the best

Steffen
Michal: Thanks for counting! After 3 it gets a bit fuzzy for me
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
I just took a pic to illustrate the altered intakes .. well the angle was suboptimal ... another one next time

cheers

Steffen
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
well, it looks really nice

but why the antenna is so loosed?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi Aleksey

Thanks for your kind comment!

the back end of the antenna is still loose, because I am not sure if I will leave the canopy in closed position or if I will glue it in opened position. It is just glued on with Gators, so it is pretty easy to remove ...

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Off to a great start Steffen . Are you going for thr box markings or are they going to be different ?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
Many thanks Terri!

I will used a markings option (Egon Mayer) from the box, but I will used different decals ... they are misprinted - esp. kill markings - and pretty yellow. Maybe I can use the specific markings from the Eduard A-5 (he had two birds parallel, the high altitude Fw 190 A-4 and the A-5) ...

cheers

Steffen
Moonchild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC
NIce FW. You are really fast.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Well, to be honest: I am not.

As Rowan and a lot of other guys I have many started projects in the stack. e.g. I have about 10-20 "near Workbench projects" (which means they are in 2m distance of the bench and I still think about them from time to time or even glue a bit here and there) ... so it is easy to pull a started model from the stack and just proceed. All it needs is some motivation .. which is the hard part

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi

Today was the time for some colour. Not much to say about it .. I used vallejo end Gunze paints for the job. the intakes are not totally convincing, but I do not have the nerves to redo them, so they are like they are:

standard fighter scheme in 74/75/76 (BTW the colours do not come out very good in the pic. the 75 is a little more violet while the 74 is a bit more green than in the photograph)

the mottling still has to be done .. petty hard task this time as it is very light and subtle

all the best

Steffen
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
very nice you know

do u usually apply filters on your models?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Alexei

well, yes and no. The several gloss and flat layers alter the colours quite a bit. Then I use a wash (sometimes several) and pigments to finish the thing .. I have a few build threads here just have a look.
Burma Banshee

Fw190F-8

Bf 109 E-4

just as an example ... you can also have a look at my models on the IPMS Deutschland site, but of course these are in German ...

all the best

Steffen
PanosT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi Steffen!
Great job as always! I really admire (except your builds) your knowledge. I wouldn't even notice the wrong intake! Can't wait to see the mottling.

Panos
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hello Panos

many thanks for your kind comment!

Sadly i do not understand this:

Quoted Text

I wouldn't even notice the wrong filter!

Alexei (Aleksey) just asked if i use filter which i understood he was asking for the modelling technique ....

OTOH we were talking about the colours. on his Fw 190 A-8 Eduard WE. He used pretty strong colours, which I mentioned in his thread (this can be an optical illusion as he used a flash light) .. in contrary I did not used a flash and in my picture the blue background together with slightly bad lighting absobes some of the colour that is actually there (a tad more red in the RLM75 and equally the 74 is a bit more green on my model)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 02:04 AM UTC
Todays update picture:

I airbrushed the mottling and the yellow lower cowl and rudder. Maybe I can apply the first Klear layer this evening .. though it is better to let the Gunze dry very well before Future/Klear because it is possibl that both react ad leave a cracked surface ..

all the best

Steffen
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe I can apply the first Klear layer this evening ..

Steffen

What layer are you talking about?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hello Aleksey

Well, you did not read the other threads, did you ? .. Klear is the GB equivalent to Future. it is an acrylic floor "wax" and a pretty good clear paint (among other uses) e.g. I have recently started to use it as decal medium too ...

all the best

Steffen
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Aleksey

Well, you did not read the other threads, did you ? .. Klear is the GB equivalent to Future. it is an acrylic floor "wax" and a pretty good clear paint (among other uses) e.g. I have recently started to use it as decal medium too ...

all the best

Steffen

well, Future is esed to cover canopy,

you covered the model to apply a wash then?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hi Aleksey

I just airbrushed the model.

It is just an inexpensive (in the US or GB) glossy acrylic "paint" .. i use it as base coat for the decals and then seal the decals for the wash. So the decals are embedded in Future/Klear

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP