_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya Bf109 E3 1/48th
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
Bravo Jim!! You did an outstanding job with the build and it's finish was flawless. I loved how the wash brought out the details of the panel lines. It's surely a build that one would be proud to display in it's splendure!

Cheers,

Hermann
hellvetier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bern, Switzerland
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:44 AM UTC
Very, very nice work on this bird. Clean paint job, superb work with the decals and panel lines!

Just a beauty!

AW
groentjuh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Niceley done indeed.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:48 AM UTC
Beautiful! The before and after wash shots show how effective it is. Great photos too. One to be very proud of Jim!
Moonchild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Beautiful Bf 109, this will definitely be one of my next projects.
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi there all,

My heartfealt thanks to Hermon, Brad, Hermann, Aenea, Maurice, Ben and Anze for all your kind words. I am very happy that you like my work and it is a pleasure to be able to share it with you.

Hermon, I know what you mean about the spitfire, the messi' really is much more "bling"!

Brad, I look forward to seeing your progress. When I did the wings I glued the top halfs to the fuselage on their own before attatching the lower part. This made it much easier to get a nice join at the wing root. A tip I saw on a Mal Mayfield Spitfire build.

Many thanks once again to all,

Cheers,

Jim.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 07:55 PM UTC
The picture comparing 109 with a Spitfire remindes me my feeling when I have seen for the first time 109, Hurricane and Spitfire in Hendon. My first thought then was: "Gee, 109 is so small...how was it possible to shoot it down..."

What terrifies me is that I'm thinking about buying Tamiyas' 109, but I have so many models in my stash already waiting to be build...
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Michal,

I know what you mean about the size difference to the Spitfire. It surprised me when I first sat them beside each other. It must have been great to see them in the flesh together. I am lucky enough to have an original Spitfire hanging in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow which I have visited a few times.

As for adding to the stash, this kit would be a great addition. Remember, a stash needs to be fed to stay healthy and happy!!!

Cheers and thanks again,

Jim.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Not sure how I missed this build. It's amazing. Your masking and painting is superb. Well done.
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi there Bryan,

Thanks very much for your kind words. I am really glad you like it.

Cheers, Jim.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
I lost track of this (work and things). Firstly tremendous job, what a lovely 109.
Secondly I know there is much gnashing of teeth about the cockpit colour for these early(ish) Bf109s. Here is a photograph of Bartels downed E-1. The date is 24/7/40.

I think that the visible interior (and hood frames) are in RLM66.
Cheers
Steve
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the kind words. I am really tempted to buy eduards 1/32 E3 but have so many other projects in progress. One more can't hurt though! Thanks also for the very interesting photo.

Cheers, Jim.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 05:34 AM UTC
Go on,you know you want to! It is a good photo and I think shows the problem with the sort of unequivocal statements that get bandied around the internet. Most 109s at this time did indeed have 02 interiors but not all. Interestingly Bartel's aircraft (pictured) bore the W.Nr. 6296F. Fstands for flugklar meaning it had been repaired and returned to airworthy status. Possibly got a respray as well, who knows?
As Dave Waldman has shown all sorts of combinations were possible.
I'm just starting an Me262 and as far as interior colours go the cockpit is just about the only thing I'm confident about!
Cheers
Steve
PubZombie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 04:48 AM UTC
this is a great thread and a great build. Some awesome info in this thread - just waiting for my cockpit mask and etched parts and I am gonna attempt a quality build like this.
Cheers
Pz
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC
My head fell off when I saw that instrument panel.
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks guys, it was a fun build. It's a great kit and the Eduard zoom set really does finish off the 'pit nice.

Cheers, Jim.
PubZombie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC
Omg - my Eduard etch set came today, SOOOO many small parts. Never worked with etch before, been away from serious models for a generation. Going to need the magnifying glass for these.
I plan to use thick CA glue for these is this correct?
Thank you
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 02:16 AM UTC
Thick CA will work but of course the drawback is that you have to get it right the first time or else
If you're just gluing a flat piece to a flat surface you can use clear paint which will give you a little working time to get the piece exactly into position. This works especially well if the part won't be under any stress.
PubZombie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 03:54 AM UTC
Thanks J_C
One thing I have got is a lifetimes worth of paints.
Some are 15+ yrs old and still workable.
Cheers
monkybutt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 12:05 AM UTC
Jim,
Quick question: what kind of airbrush/air do you use? I am looking into getting a new airbrush, and I liked the effects you were able to achieve.

Thanks!
-Andrew
iwatajim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hey Andrew,

I use an iwata(hence the callsign!lol) HP-CH airbrush with a simple single piston compressor(sim-air branded), which came with an air pressure regulator. I also use the iwata pistol grip moisture trap which makes handling the brush much more comfortable, in my opinion. The HP-CH has a 0.3mm nozzle which can be a bit small for applying primer so I use an old aztec airbrush for that job.

One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was to have a sacrificial kit or kit shaped object to try any colours, techniques, etc, before commiting to the actual model. Saves so much heartache!

Hope this helps and I'm glad you like my efforts.

Cheers, Jim.

Athlen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 03:39 PM UTC
On seeing the results there I just said 'wow' out loud.

I brush paint and like it, but it seems I'll need to get an airbrush if I want to, as it were, run with the big boys. Certain things just aren't possible with a brush. I like the idea of using premixed washes, along with just about all the other techniques used...

I'm still curious, though, as to whether you sorted out what the mystery panel was, as mystery panels always intrigue me.

Merrick's E-3 cockpit photos don't show any with the ZVK fusing controls, but the E-4s have them, and the ZVK knob itself is offset to the left. The panel is centered (or close to it) between the pilot's legs, but then the left 4/5 of that panel is the ZVK with its big dimmer-switch-type knob and the right part is the fuse and switch box for the ZVK, which amounts to a master arm switch for the bombs.

You may know that the ZVK is for bomb fusing. It has five settings, 12 o'clock is off (Aus), the right side is for level bombing (Wagerecht) and the left for dive bombing (Sturz). 10 and 2 o'clock are m.V. for 'with delay', the outside two are o.V. 'without delay'.
 _GOTOTOP