_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009-10 SE 5a Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 05:09 PM UTC
First build for the group build depending on if the pfalz ever gets released (and it will ) I will be starting the SE5a . I'm in " all " over this kit ! After seeing some very talented builds unfold on here and the Drome . Nothing beats seeing the sprue in your own hands . I have noticed detail which I didn't notice before

Brass will be used and extra detailing added , cowl will be off and the cowl chin in the open postion ! Why hide the detail

Until later
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Terri
looking forward to your build,I love the crinkled fuselage halfs and the engine.
I have toms modelworks mg set and RB productions RAF wire and terminals to complement my build.
Keeps us posted
Andy
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC
Terri welcome to our world ....

I know you will make a wonderful job of this....

Check out Eduards bigger new set for this kit...it looks pretty damn good...I wish it had come out before I built my effort.

Keith
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check out Eduards bigger new set for this kit...it looks pretty damn good..

Hey Keith ,thanks for the heads up on this mate ,just ordered one for LSA models
Andy
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC

You can always start another one Keith and get the PE set !

Cool Torchy ! I do have Tom's Model Works British gun set as well as the interior set . Which by looking at the parts it is geared more towards the Camel . I'm just waiting for Eduards PE set to come in now . then I can get started on this one .

This is what I will be using for ref's on this build .......

Windsock SE5/Se5a squadrons
Squadron Singles SE5a in action
Windsock Special RAF SE5a
Osprey SE5a vs Albatros DV
Osprey SE5a squardons which is on hold for me at the LHS .

Not sure on what markings she will be . The datafile has some great options so does the Osprey book .
Yes the wrinkle fab fuselage will be used . Question is though ....what to do with the other fuselage .......maybe scratch all the framing and some other items for it ..........
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi Terri:

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this. I am hesitant to do much with mine at this point. I want to hone some skills on something else before I get into it. I too am waiting for the RB Wire and turnbuckle set. I will also scope out the Eduard PE fret for it as well. I am sure that Roll Models has it, and he is a regular attendee as well as a member of the Twin Cities Aero Historians.
I may even pick up a few references that you mentioned. Pheon Models has a neat night fighter sheet designed to fit the WNW kit, with the checkered scheme.
Good luck.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Terri: If you have the Roden Spad VII, you could button up the engine compartment, use that engine for the spare WNW SE5 fuselage and do the cutaway as you mentioned.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
I just want to point out that Eduard do 2 sets and the bigger one is much more elaborate and useful.

K

Don't think I'm not tempted to buy another Terri......But that looming DV release has me saving my pennies for two of those. I have an insane desire to make one, take the other and rob it for the wings and such for my DIII OAW and stick the DV fuselage on a railcar or such as a diorama.

K
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just want to point out that Eduard do 2 sets and the bigger one is much more elaborate and useful.

Hi keith
The "big" set 32646,includes the smaller set 33042 which looks like cockpit only

http://www.eduard.cz/

I was going to relegate my toms sets to my Roden DH4 ,but Eduard are bring a set out for that soon
HTH
Andy
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hey there Terri. I am glad to see you have finally jumped in. I too am still finding detail on my SE5a. I have started mine with some minor painting. Mostly the interior wood with oils. I ordered my Eduard PE Set for this kit set and it should be here anytime (along with the Fokker E.I/E.II DUAL COMBO, one of which will be done as my namesake). I will do the Wigan scheme. I think the inboard roundels really go well with this type. My experience from my other build is that these kits have really, really tight tolerances between parts, which fills my engineering heart with pride. So beware the PE extras and spend extra time test fitting. I will also be using texture decals on the cdl surfaces and Eduard's PE stretchers and control horns set. It will be a pleasure to do a side by side build with you. I am now finished hijacking your thread.

I would really love to see what you can do with the LVG.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Carl !

I was going to start my blog sooner but wanted to wait for awhile as to gather some things up for the build . Once my Eduard set gets here then I can really sit down and plan out the build better . I will use the kit decals , they look fine to me and want to try them out . I also have a plan for the wire hoop q-tip thing I do ! Can't recall if the Edset has these in it . It will be great building by your side to

As for the LVG , I'm working it .The hobby shop which I go to all the time I've been helping him out about these kit's and he is planning on trying to bring a few of the popular ones in . The price will be the same as advertized on WNW web site . He has been getting a lot of folks in looking for the kit's and when he tells them you can only get them on their web site . He is lossing business in a small sence . He is checking into it to see if he can do it . Will be bring the SE5a for him to have a look at , he really wants to see it !! My name for the LVG is down so will know with in a few weeks .
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Terri,
I'll follow your work closely, I already know I'll learn a lot just watching your build to proceed.

ciao
Edo
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
My Edset came in today. I think it is probably one of the best sets they have produced. Well worth the investment. The kit decals are great, as long as you can keep the cat hairs away.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:57 AM UTC
So tell me Terri is Santa a right jolly old elf? He tells me that An Se 5a PE set may be in your Christmas stocking. And no fair using the kneehighs!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 10:06 AM UTC
Sounds to me like somebody is being bitter about having short legs.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC
I heard something about that with Santa and his helpers , but you never know I have gotten coal in the stocking before . Knee High's ! never used them ... I like my stockings thank you very much !

Of course Santa is the coolest !I always leave a plate of cookies ( chocolate chip with walnut's ! )and chilled glass of milk !

Good one Carl !

Thank-you Edo , glad that you are enjoy the site and all that is offered by the members and staff . I have learned a great deal since I have join the site . How's your DH-2 coming along ?
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi Terri,
Will you be using Rowan's decals for your build? I have a sheet and they are quite superb (the kit wing roundels are marginally too big)

Also the fin/rudder which is utterly devoid of ANY rib tape/stitching cries out for some work on it!!!!

Superb kit though.

Looking forward to your build lass.
Dave
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Dave !

No , I will not be useing Rowan's decals ( Sorry Rowan ) the kit decals will be used even if they are a little on the over scale size . The rib tapping on the rudder is a easy fix with some decal film or clear tape . It's how to do the stitching so it coincides with the rest of wings that will have me stumped .
Bristol
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

I did it in ali. cooking foil embossed but wasn't happy so did it again (likewise embossed) in plastic card thinned even further and applied carefully.

You may care to experiment with this which gives a super illusion but I am not able to 'pull it off' every time decal tapes then oversprayed (none too lightly ) with white car spray which 'pickles' the decal tapes slightly and then under a coat of top colour gives a nice 'Effect' of 'something going on' under the tapes.

I found it out by accident taping the elevators of Trumpeters big Hurricane a year or so ago.

Dave.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
I think we can probably make a RTV mold of the stitching, then make resin stitches.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi Dave , I was thinking about using the foil off a coffee can . It will emboss easily and hold the detail well . But I think it is to thick for doing the taping . Baking foil sounds like it might be just about right for it . Still though finding the tape to be a better alternative . ( Tamiya tape for the texture ) It it hit me this afternoon to just sew the stitching on to the tape then sealing with a few coats of lacquer . Just might work for the foil as well . Thanks for your feed back , gets the brain working .....................well alomost at a working state !

Carl , great idea but way beyond my skills at the time . I want to learn on how to do this in the future though have some wheels to do and a engine for all the Albbie D.III I have .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:12 PM UTC
Now I wonder which set of PE Santa is sending along? Is it the Zoom or the Full set?

http://www.eduard.cz/info/photos/32646/
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
What ever set Santa puts in the Christmas stocking will be a great attition to the build for the campaign You know though , there could be extra cookies on the plate !
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:02 PM UTC
Terri, I like the female cookies.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:46 PM UTC
I just knew somebody would go there. . .
 _GOTOTOP