Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Idea Torpedo Away !!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 08:46 AM UTC
Thanks for enlisting Tim, I'm sure this one will be a go. We're up to 6 now, 4 more and we're airborne !

Great choice of kit too, that was my first option as well, but I haven't bought one yet so the next few months will give me time to scan the local LHS's

Quoted Text

Hi all
Signed up and if the campaigns a go, then this is my project.

Photobucket

tim

Cheers, D
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day all, the temporary Anti-Shipping Campaign page is up, we need enlistees to get airborne !!

Just got to the thread "Campaign Proposals looking for Enlistees" from CRS, and follow the link.

As always, I welcome any feedback, comments or suggestions, and anybody willing to Co-Pilot with me in case of emergencies please let me know.

Damian - a helpful hint:

It is always a good idea to put a link in to the sign-up area in the proposal thread so you don't have to make people work to find how to get there. You really will get more people signed up faster that way.

link to anti-shipping campaign sign-up

I'm happy to be a copilot if you like.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC
Thanks Vance, if I was more computer-savvy I would know how to create a link like that, perhaps you could PM me a quick how-to ?

And thanks for the offer to co-pilot, you're hired, promoted, advanced, however I should put it !!

We're up to 8 now, almost there

Cheers, D
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
@ Damian,

Try the [url] or the [url=] button below the text square, why dont'ya!

Cheers // PolarBear
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hello Damian,
# 9 enlisted.
About the Stuka, Remember it was used against Channel Shipping in 1940 and in the Med from 1941-1944 and the Arctic shipping based in Norway 1940-1945.
I cannot remember which KG they were part of but it was a dedicated Anti-Shipping unit.
On that note, I have no idea what I am going to build.
Cheers,
Bruce
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
I will add my name to the list...

I do have four 1/48 AM TBF that need to be built sometime...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
I was no. 11 to sign up, so we should be official now.

Have no idea what to build, but probably a JU 188.....
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 07:30 AM UTC
Sweet looks Like I will be doing all four... well try too!

I planning to do 2x RNZAF TBF-1c and George Bush's TBF and Grey over white scheme
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC
We are OFFICIAL, up to 12 enlisted now !!

Dave,

Quoted Text

Sweet looks Like I will be doing all four... well try too!

I planning to do 2x RNZAF TBF-1c and George Bush's TBF and Grey over white scheme

You will have a nice little production line going with 4 parallel builds my friend, but I suppose with identical kits it shouldn't be too hard, sort of like BlackWidow doing the 2 x 1/48 P-61's for the Boom Boom Campaign

Thanks for your support guys, this should be a super campaign.

Cheers, D

Cannon99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 09:06 PM UTC
As for the discussion about the Stuka, it was regularily assigned anti-shipping missions and was as effective as the Dauntless or the Val. It was assigned such missions as attacking the British evacuation fleet at Dunkirk among others. The Germans actually developed the Ju-87R as an extended range anti-shipping version as it was so effective in that role. The never completed German aitrcraft carriers were going to have a folding wing Ju-87 variant as their primary attack aircraft. So the Stuka was as much a anti-shipping aircraft as it was a tankbuster.

Although all versions of the Stuka were used to attack shipping (except for the ones carrying the aniti-tank guns) and were assigned such tasks as part of their normal duties, some were assigned to anti-shipping units where this was their primary role. Main limitation was the short range of the aircraft so they even designed the extended range version for anti-shipping (although it could and did attack ground targets).

Top Stuka ace Hans-Ulrich Rudel was frequently assigned to anti-tank duties (and flew that variant of the Stuka, he also flew the ground attack version of the Fw190 in the latter part of the war). He spent the war on the eastern front so did not get to make a lot of anti-shipping attacks. However his kills included 800 vehicles, 519 tanks, 150 artillery guns, a destroyer, two cruisers, 70 landing craft, 4 armored trains, several bridges and 9 aircraft (killed in air vs air combat) as well as the Soviet battleship Marat.

Karl
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
Nice. Soon as I'm done with my Nichimo 'Glen' for the seaplane build, I'm starting my Nichimo 'Kate' for this one!
miteco20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
Would the PBY Catalina be considered for the campaign? It was used extensively for anti-shipping and anit-submarine patrols.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC
Mike,

Quoted Text

Would the PBY Catalina be considered for the campaign? It was used extensively for anti-shipping and anit-submarine patrols.

No problems at all with the PBY, especially if you do an Aussie version (not that I'm biased at all )

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
Karl,

Quoted Text

As for the discussion about the Stuka, it was regularily assigned anti-shipping missions and was as effective as the Dauntless or the Val. Karl

That's the great thing I find about this site, every time I get on I am educated ! Thanks for that post, I have gone on and done some further reading as I didn't know much about the Stuka and its history.

Now that I know a little more I am happy to allow Stukas for the campaign provided that the markings represent a Unit assigned to regular Anti-Shipping operations. I am all about diversity in these campaigns, and the subjects are just SOOOO fascinating.

Cheers and thanks again, D

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi all, just a bump to keep things rolling along. We have 17 enlisted now in this Anti-Shipping Campaign, and I will throw in a bump every fortnight or so. Please contribute with suggestions or pics of your proposed kits.

Anti-Shipping Campaign Enlistment Page

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 02:19 AM UTC
Time for another recruitment bump, we are up to 19 enlisted. Plenty of time until this one starts, but maybe we can start posting pics of the kits we intend to build ??

Anti-Shipping Campaign Enlistment Page
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
I am in, with either the Monogram's Devastator or Dauntless (1:48); or the AM Dauntless, Ill make a decision once I open the boxes

cheers
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 12:30 PM UTC
G'day James, thanks for joining up !!

Quoted Text

I am in, with either the Monogram's Devastator or Dauntless (1:48); or the AM Dauntless, Ill make a decision once I open the boxes

cheers

Don't get slack now, Dave (Moeggo) has set the standard so you have to do all 3
I will be busy doing Campaign Leader stuff, so I only have to do 1.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
Well folks, it's THAT time again, Reggies regular fortnightly recruitment bump !!

We are up to 21 enlisted now, but I'm sure that there are more of you out there with nothing planned for November, and something suitable in the stash. So how about it, sign up and show us all what you've got !!

Anti-shipping Campaign Enlistment page

Cheers all, D
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC
OK I'm in, this year has been all over the place to start with and campaigns have run through my hands with out knife even getting near plastic, but this one is another that falls in to my personnal build program of FAA aircraft. So it may be a Barracuda but might be a Firebrand or a Chesapeake.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
G'day Luciano, and thanks for joining us !! Any of those three kits you mentioned would be great.

Perfect opportunity for a recruitment BUMP also. We are up to 23 enlisted now, and still 8 months to go. Strange thing is, although this campaign is my idea, I just checked the stash and I don't have a suitable kit. OMG, shopping time . I'm thinking maybe a 1/72 multi-engine, any nationality. All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers, D
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange thing is, although this campaign is my idea, I just checked the stash and I don't have a suitable kit. OMG, shopping time . I'm thinking maybe a 1/72 multi-engine, any nationality. All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers, D

Damian how about a Piaggio P-108A, four engined no torpedos but a big 105mm gun in the nose. Not sure if it also carried bombs on these attacks I'd need to check my ref's but I'm a work right now. I'll check and get back to you in a couple of days.

Luciano
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hey D. does this count:? Me in 1973 while stationed with VP8 (P3 A/B) in the Azores, is the 1/72 P 3 scale I think it was Tamiya or Hasegawa still available? The following photos were stuck to a pricture frame that my mother had in her humid house.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 09:29 PM UTC
Bob, I've marked you down in the list for a P-3 dio with 4 aircraft and a little self-portrait figure, welcome aboard mate.

Cheers, D
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 05:44 AM UTC
Well (1) a/c if I can find one and no self portrait, this is a family network. I do not want to scare people away with the likes of bigfoot.

Bob