Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009- 2010 Alb.D.V Rick
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 03:10 PM UTC
OK, I am back on this again! Finally finished the WW2 thing I was working on. I have installed the interior. Almost Out of Box. Added the Aileron, elevator, and rudder control cables. I also added switches made of PE from an old Hasegawa 1/48th 109 to the fuel selector panel.
Engine will be Out of Box. Some painting/weathering left to do.

PS: Wings are just placed in position!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC
Coming along very nicely Rick . Will the cowl be on ?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Yes she is coming along just nicely. I'm pleased to see your attention back in this build. If you are building her cowls on theres little need for extra engine details apart from the oil pipes near the front of the engine & a few plug leads anyway everything else is hidden especially once the top wing is on, you cant even see my detailed and piped up fuel tank at all.

Keith
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes she is coming along just nicely. I'm pleased to see your attention back in this build. If you are building her cowls on theres little need for extra engine details apart from the oil pipes near the front of the engine & a few plug leads anyway everything else is hidden especially once the top wing is on, you cant even see my detailed and piped up fuel tank at all.

Keith

Keith and Terri,
Thanks and yes closed up! I like the lines and the fit is so good I can't do this one any other way! Maybe I will open up the DVa?
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi RAGII,

Looking really good there – whats your plan for the control cables? I'm not sure how I'm going to place and tension them once the upperwing is on when I do my DV?

I agree with you on the beautiful lines – at the same time its a shame to hide most of that beautiful engine – I might go for a half/half on my DVa, leave one panel on and one off... We'll see.

Best Regards

Mikael

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi RAGII,

Looking really good there – whats your plan for the control cables? I'm not sure how I'm going to place and tension them once the upperwing is on when I do my DV?

I agree with you on the beautiful lines – at the same time its a shame to hide most of that beautiful engine – I might go for a half/half on my DVa, leave one panel on and one off... We'll see.

Best Regards

Mikael

Mikael,
There are two options I have cosidered. First let me explain how I anchored them inside the cockpit. I drilled holes in the side of the pulley(two per each side. I then superglued the wires , crossing the 2 uppermost per the illustration. As for securing to the wing and making them tight I plan on drilling through the four holes in the rectangular insert. After installing the insert in the wing I will drill all of the way through. Next I will add the PE overlay, only gluing the bottom wing portion in position. the wires will be pulled all the way through the wing, superglued, then the excess snipped off. Finally the PE will be bent around
For those who do turnbuckles, one could secure them in the pre drilled holes in the rectangular insert and secure the wires in the normal way for this method of rigging. I hope this is clear?
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
– Thank You Rick for your nifty solution, I've scratched my head a bit on this one – but I think you've come up with the way to do this.

Best Regards

Mikael
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
Rick, I did the same on my Albatros - just take care to heat treat the brass first - otherwise I don´t think its soft enough to get a good bend on it.

Cheers/Jan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 05:07 AM UTC
Yes WNW is rather springy and brittle...I did in a MG jacket rolling it. Excellent plan though to tension the cables.

K
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes WNW is rather springy and brittle...I did in a MG jacket rolling it. Excellent plan though to tension the cables.

K

I have the base coat done for the wood grain. I had no trouble after annealing the PE for the MGs, After installation I did manage to ding one barrel. I followed the tip on the WNW sight and annealed a second time then dipped in cold water. made the Brass pretty solid after rolling! More and Photos in a day or two!
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC
I have done the woodgrain, painted the tail black! Yes Black. I know the nice bright reddish brown would have been more interesting visually. I just really believe the markings are a thin ,watered down, weathered coat of black. I waited days for my oils to dry so pictures are running a little behind. I will post pics soon.
RAGIII
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have done the woodgrain, painted the tail black! Yes Black. I know the nice bright reddish brown would have been more interesting visually. I just really believe the markings are a thin ,watered down, weathered coat of black. I waited days for my oils to dry so pictures are running a little behind. I will post pics soon.
RAGIII

That's great news Rick! Can't wait to see it!

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

RAGIII

That's great news Rick! Can't wait to see it!

Mark

I as well am looking forward to your pic's
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
Another update. After finishing the wood grain I attempted to use black decals for the wound ribbon. Nothing but frustration! I made an enlargement of the decals supplied with the Americals 1/48th Jasta 4 sheet. No joy! Compound curves and straight stripes do not make wound ribbon. There was one section that just wouldn,t work. Applied and stripped several times. Finally I bit the bullet, removed the landing gear, and used Tamiya tape and painted the ribbon
RAGIII
PS, I have taken a quick poor quality photo that I will post untill I can take better pics.
Removed by original poster on 09/21/10 - 01:13:02 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 09/21/10 - 01:16:14 (GMT).
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 02:19 PM UTC
Here is the temporary photo pending a good quality photo shoot.

RAGIII
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hi Rick:

I looked over this thread just to get my bearings on your build, back in March! How quickly the summer here in the Northern hemisphere has flown by. I have a stack waiting to be built. I like your wood grain, it is very realistic. I can fully appreciate the headache with the wound stripe. I did the Candy Stripe Albatros as did Carl, his was the inspriation, and it was a difficult effort, yours turned out quite nicely, thank goodness for Tamiya tape!
I am looking forward to more pics as I follow your progress.

Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi Rick

I think you managed to pull off the difficult stripe really well – and paint will always look better than a decal anyway I did a Jasta 4 DIII a couple of years ago, and I used the same technique as you!

Woodgrain looks superb – not too much and not too litle in my eyes. Looking forward to some more pics.

Best Regards

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rick:

I looked over this thread just to get my bearings on your build, back in March! How quickly the summer here in the Northern hemisphere has flown by. I have a stack waiting to be built. I like your wood grain, it is very realistic. I can fully appreciate the headache with the wound stripe. I did the Candy Stripe Albatros as did Carl, his was the inspriation, and it was a difficult effort, yours turned out quite nicely, thank goodness for Tamiya tape!
I am looking forward to more pics as I follow your progress.

Best

Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the kind words! Yes the Tamiya Tape is great stuff. I wound the tape into position then ran a tape on each side. I removed the tape from the middle and then sprayed the black.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rick

I think you managed to pull off the difficult stripe really well – and paint will always look better than a decal anyway I did a Jasta 4 DIII a couple of years ago, and I used the same technique as you!

Woodgrain looks superb – not too much and not too litle in my eyes. Looking forward to some more pics.

Best Regards

Mikael

Mikael,
Thanks for the compliment on the wood grain/ I am one of those modelers who feels a "representation" of light and dark areas is more scale
I do intend to do some subtle weathering in appropriate areas.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
I forgot to mention that I had applied decal # 48, the data stencil on the left fuselage, prior to attempting to apply the ribbon using decals. The decal adhered through all of the strippings, only to come off when I masked the ribbon for painting. If anyone has done an overpainted fuselage version I would be willing to pay postage for your unused decal #48. Send a PM if you can help,
Thanks,
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
Here is where I was as of the deadline for the group build. Although I did not make the cut off I will finish this one. I was waiting on Lozenge decals by Pheon which have now been put off to December. I think I may go ahead and order some from Doug for this bird.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 07:28 AM UTC
Excellent Rick!

I have somethin a brewin so don't think its too late. There is plenty more to come in the way of GBs round hayre. Happy Thanks Giving and Merry Christmas.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hi Rick

Very attractive looking DV you've got going there – I really like this profile a lot, and you're doing a very fine job with it. Looking forward to more once you've got the lozenge solved!

Im kind of at the same stage as you with my Baumer machine with the Edelwiess from the same Pheon sheet...

Best Regards

Mikael