Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009- 2010 Alb.D.V Rick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
Love the polka dots on the tail , she is looking awesome so far Rick !
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
Stephen, Mikael, and Terri,

Thanks for your continued support on my build! The kit is really a simple build out of the box. If "Logistics" hadn't screwed up on obtaining Lozenge in a timely
manner finishing would have been no problem

RAGIII
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC

Excellent, excellent work Rick!! Love that woodgrain and polkadots!

Mark
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent, excellent work Rick!! Love that woodgrain and polkadots!

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have been waiting to do this scheme for a long time. Originally intended to do a 1/48th scale Eduard kit. The WNW kit gave me the opportunity and inspiration and was helped by Pheon including the Dots on one of their sheets.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC
I finally got the time and cash to order some lozenge decals for this build !
I opted to go with WNW Lozenge, the reason is no shipping charge, and leass overall cost than Pheon. Five days from ordering to delivery. The decals are inpressive but I am not sure of the upper colors? Just got my annual bonus so I may actually order a set of the Phean decals for my Alb. DVa.
Hopefully I will be back to work on this one this week as I am on Vacation
RAGIII

PS. I just visited the WNW website. Now I do understand that Monitors vary but the colors on the web site for the upper surface 5 color is WAY different than what I have. Closer to the LVG sheet from before. I am not saying this is incorrect but I am wondering if I got an old sheet? I guess I will have to email WNW. and ask.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
Rick the old Loz is easy to see, the dot pattern (dont know the teknikle term) used to print it is really quite visible, on the new its a lot subtler. On the Roland, I thought the colours a little bright for scale so faded them a considerable amount by overspraying with a buff colour to dull them.

Hope this helps

Keith.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rick the old Loz is easy to see, the dot pattern (dont know the teknikle term) used to print it is really quite visible, on the new its a lot subtler. On the Roland, I thought the colours a little bright for scale so faded them a considerable amount by overspraying with a buff colour to dull them.

Hope this helps

Keith.

Yes a little bright for my liking would be a good description. Thanks for the tip! By the way WNW also recommends overspraying with a light tan/buff if you want a lighter more scale appearance. I have been measuring and applying lozenge for the last 2 days. ( About 4 hours each day) I have the lower lozenge applied and am ready to start the upper.
When all is said and done I understand why there is a market for the "Cookie Cutter" lozenge approach. some modelers seem to make this process look easy and get fabulous results. Others, like myself, struggle with the whole process. In the end I have decided my next Albatros will have the Pheon lozenge .
Sorry Stephen but no amount of Tutorial reading is going to improve my measure once, cut twice mentallity
I will post pictures when I have both surfaces covered.
RAGIII
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 01:04 PM UTC
Perfect timing this thread being revived just now as I start my D.Va. Knowing basically nothing about WWI aircraft, the brightness of the WNW lozenge decals was going to be a question. In my armor builds i usually don't mix paint for scale effect but will lighten with a filter as was just described. Nice to be able to use a technique i am comfortable with.

Beautiful work Rick. Look forward to the finish.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perfect timing this thread being revived just now as I start my D.Va. Knowing basically nothing about WWI aircraft, the brightness of the WNW lozenge decals was going to be a question. In my armor builds i usually don't mix paint for scale effect but will lighten with a filter as was just described. Nice to be able to use a technique i am comfortable with.

Beautiful work Rick. Look forward to the finish.

Thanks for the compliment! The Lozenge and Basic Rib Tapes are now applied. I will still do an overspray but it is funny how the colors grow on you after looking at them for a while Pictures this weekend. By the way does anyone have info on the thickness/application of the leading edge tapes?
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 05:16 PM UTC
Same as the rib tapes.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Same as the rib tapes.

Thanks stephen. I was leaning that way looking at reference photos but wasn't quiote sure.
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 11:48 PM UTC
HI Rick,

Great to read that you're back at this beautiful D.V of yours. Looking forward to seeing your application of the WNW Loz.

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Rick,

Great to read that you're back at this beautiful DV of yours. Looking forward to seeing your application of the WNW Loz.

Mikael

Thanks Mikael!
I was preparing to take photos today and happened to click on Stephens thread mentioning RIB TAPES. Earlier I joked about Measuring Once and cutting twice. I think I have made a mistake. I had it in my mind that the rib tapes should be light blue. Looked at lots of pics and at a bunch of " DVa " builds. Now I think I should have gone with Salmon Pink on the DV? If so I am going to re do the tapes. Stephen , SALMON PINK? OR Light Blue?

RAGIII

P.S. I just rmembered and double checked where I originally got the blue from. Pheons reference drawing for this aircraft shows blue tapes. On another DV they show pink.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:33 AM UTC
Rick – I think both blue and salmon is right – depending on which factory the plane came from (I did my DVa of Hemut Dilthey with blue tapes, and I think this is correct) If Pheon showed your profile with blue, its probaly right...

Stephen will no doubt know more about this....

Best Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 05:37 AM UTC
Don't panic, both are indeed correct as Mikael pointed out. If Rowan at Pheon has shown blue then I would accept it as correct. He does thoroughly research his subjects.

Keith
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't panic, both are indeed correct as Mikael pointed out. If Rowan at Pheon has shown blue then I would accept it as correct. He does thoroughly research his subjects.

Keith

No panic here, just want it right The thing about research is that on this particular machine all of the known reference photos offer no help at all. The wings are too washed out to show lozenge, let alone rib tapes! Going on Stephens review of Lozenge," Albatros used Salmon Pink"." OAW used Light Blue". I doubt that OAW ,involved in DIII production at the time, built this DV. Therefore my question remains: Since it is most likely Albatros built should the tapes be pink in spite of Pheons directions? On the other hand lacking any real photographic evidence to prove blue wwrong...........
RAGIII
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 01:16 PM UTC
Mikael

In the Windsock datafile special it says in the back cover OAW recieved an order for 600 DVa's D6400-6999/17 in Sept/Oct 1917. Theres no mention of any order for DV models placed on OAW.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC
The first Alb. D.V -the prototype was built by OAW. But all subsequent production Alb. D.V types were bult by the parent company at Johannistahl. These production models from the factory on 5 colour printed fabric carried either lozenge or the pink rib tapes according to evidence we have. (Or had the two toned upper sprayed camouflage).

Now don't let that resrict you too much. Some flying surface components were changed out in the field due to repair concerns.

As a means of getting a quick thumbnail search done check out my Albatros Portfolio (#2) Click here.

Note: some firewalls reading the portfolios will drop all images to the bottom of the text. But scroll down and putting your cursor on the image will bring up the image name and you can match that to the text. If you have any questions on my builds I'll be glad to answer them.

Albatros D.V serials
D.1000/17 - 1199/17, 200 airframes ordered April 1917, Johannistahl.
D.1962/17 - 2361/17, 400 airframes ordered May 1917, Johannistahl.
D.4403/17 - 4702/17, 300 airframes ordered in July 1917, Johannistahl.
Total = 900 airframes.

See also;
WNW Alb. D.V kit review
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The first Alb. D.V -the prototype was built by OAW. But all subsequent production Alb. D.V types were bult by the parent company at Johannistahl. These production models from the factory on 5 colour printed fabric carried either lozenge or the pink rib tapes according to evidence we have. (Or had the two toned upper sprayed camouflage).

Now don't let that resrict you too much. Some flying surface components were changed out in the field due to repair concerns.

As a means of getting a quick thumbnail search done check out my Albatros Portfolio (#2) Click here.

Note: some firewalls reading the portfolios will drop all images to the bottom of the text. But scroll down and putting your cursor on the image will bring up the image name and you can match that to the text. If you have any questions on my builds I'll be glad to answer them.

Albatros D.V serials
D.1000/17 - 1199/17, 200 airframes ordered April 1917, Johannistahl.
D.1962/17 - 2361/17, 400 airframes ordered May 1917, Johannistahl.
D.4403/17 - 4702/17, 300 airframes ordered in July 1917, Johannistahl.
Total = 900 airframes.

See also;
WNW Alb. D.V kit review

Stephen,
Again thanks for the detailed info! I guess I am at the point where I need to decide, change to the most likely scenario, or ask if anyone can prove me wrong
I am going to post some pics with the blue tapes while I decide
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC
The rib tapes are now PINK!
sorry no photos yet but my computer seems to not recognize my camera right now? Probably an update that interferes. I will go to my Tech support,(daughter), and get it fixed soon.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
I received a private message from Richard at WNW. In short Richard referenced the Archive photos on their site , I had studied these photos and the one in GvWs Osprey book on Richthofens Circus. The short story is Richards interpretation is this bird has the mauve/green/ blue scheme. I must admit that looking at the photos on WNW site one would be tempted to come to that conclusion. Adding the photo in Gregs book originally changed my mind as I felt that even though the wings are washed out by light, close examination does seem to indicate lozenge on the left tip of the upper wing. So lets see what everyones opinion is on this. If you have the Book with Gregs photo compare to the WNW site photos. By the way, Greg indicated lozenge in his book, but you know Greg always uses phrases such as most likely, or speculative when discussing colors and markings
Also look at the 2nd photo of the lineup. The lower right wing of the first aircraft(black tail) and the lower left wing of the 2nd, (polka dot tail) look to be finished identically. The first is lozenge covered. JMHO and I can be persuaded either way
RAGIII
P.S. Perhaps Richard or Stephen could provide a link to the pictures in question?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:19 AM UTC
Rick,

Ive been staring at the pics from WNWs website, I dont have the book in question to compare so what I say is based entirely on the pics in the archive.

I tend to agree with Richard, the main reasons being even if the pic isnt the clearest in the world for the following reasons.

1 The underside of the upper wing (polkadot) is somewhat glossier than the lozenged wing of the A/c in front *note the sheen where the fuselage reflects on it & I see no real pattern you would expect with lozenge.

2 The lower wing cross, one the foremost aircraft has a distinctive white edge, Polkadot does not... A known practice not to whiteline the national marking on some blue undersides. that and no evidence of contrasting ribtapes like on the first A/c.

These and the fact most other shots of A/c in Jasta 4 seem to indicate two tone cammo leads me to believe this. But like I say I have no access to Greg's book and it's only my opinion, whichever you choose I know your build will be outstanding anyway.

Keith
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rick,

Ive been staring at the pics from WNWs website, I dont have the book in question to compare so what I say is based entirely on the pics in the archive.

I tend to agree with Richard, the main reasons being even if the pic isnt the clearest in the world for the following reasons.

1 The underside of the upper wing (polkadot) is somewhat glossier than the lozenged wing of the A/c in front *note the sheen where the fuselage reflects on it & I see no real pattern you would expect with lozenge.

2 The lower wing cross, one the foremost aircraft has a distinctive white edge, Polkadot does not... A known practice not to whiteline the national marking on some blue undersides. that and no evidence of contrasting ribtapes like on the first A/c.

These and the fact most other shots of A/c in Jasta 4 seem to indicate two tone cammo leads me to believe this. But like I say I have no access to Greg's book and it's only my opinion, whichever you choose I know your build will be outstanding anyway.

Keith

Keith,
Thanks for the response and opinion. The combination of pictures provides room for doubt either way as our e mail communication has indicated. Taking Richard's opinion on the WNW photos, and the observations you and I have noted to heart, I think that I will do mine in Lilac, Green, and Light Blue. Unless someone convinces me otherwise in the next few days
To accomplish this I will take the wing from my Alb.D.Va and utilize the control fairings and Ailerons from the D.V. This will leave me with a lozenged wing all ready for my D.Va build
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 05:40 PM UTC
Just thought I would finally finsh this thread.This was of course started here in 2009. Built primarily OOB, using Pheon Decals for the Polka Dots. Here are 2 pictures of the completed Model.
RAGIII

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Excellent! Thanks for bringing it up.