_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009- 2010 Alb.D.V Rick
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:26 AM UTC
Now that my kits have arrived I am joining in. I will be building the Albatros D.V.I will most likely build the kit as the Polka Dot tailed Jasta 4 bird, but I have time before the final decision must be made. This will be a SLOW build as I have a prior commitment to finish for IM. So far I have removed the fuselage, wings, and tailplanes from the sprues for some test fitting. All seems great!
Waiting for a break in the weather to do some airbrushing prior to wood graining the fuselage interior and bulkheads.
RAGIII
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC
Looking forward to your build Rick. I have the D.V but haven't decided on a profile yet. The kit engines look great.

Mark
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi
Looking forward too thisd build. You always turns up with somethiung interesting.My D.V is on it´s way..
cheers
Larsa
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
I as well am looking forward to this build as I too have the D.V and am somewhat asea as to what scheme to do it in. To quote a certain female modeler who is an excellent modeler: "I will be watching this with keen interest".
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
Mgunns , I've heard that before some where

Rick my friend , your builds are always a welcome Will be an interesting colour scheme and different .........polka-dots
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi Rick,

Will be great to watch your D.V build, really looking forward to it! With all these WNW builds staring, I am getting really impatient with the postman now – where are my kits??? Suppose I could take out my other two WNW from the stash and fondle them for a while to calm me down

All the best

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:19 PM UTC
Thanks to ALL for the encouragement and welcome!
References I am using for this build are the:
Albatros DVA: German Fighter of WW1. National Air and Space Museum
"Richthofens Circus" GvW Osprey
Albatros Aces of WW1 vol1&2. Osprey.
WNW Instruction Booklet
WNW web site

Now to start with a couple of questions:
The bulkhead behind the pilot. The Smithsonian book mentions a "Canvas" bulkhead and WNW instruction manual in the written portion mentions a "Screen". Their directions, however, say to paint the bulkhead in the same "Wood" color as the rest of the interior. Anyone know for sure what material and how it was finished?
The second question is engine type. Looking at the pictures of my subject on the WNW website it looks as though "Polka Dot" has the 160 HP DIII engine. If any of you experts would care to look and confirm I would appreciate the help!
As far as the build goes, watch out for mold release dimples on both interior halves. Subtle but they are there!
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .Now to start with a couple of questions:
The bulkhead behind the pilot. The Smithsonian book mentions a "Canvas" bulkhead and WNW instruction manual in the written portion mentions a "Screen". Their directions, however, say to paint the bulkhead in the same "Wood" color as the rest of the interior. Anyone know for sure what material and how it was finished?. . .

The examples that still exist tell us Linen was commone for the rear cockpit screen. Wood is equally possible. Probably when linen use was resticted to flying surfaces only.

Quoted Text

". . .The second question is engine type. Looking at the pictures of my subject on the WNW website it looks as though "Polka Dot" has the 160 HP DIII engine. If any of you experts would care to look and confirm I would appreciate the help!. . ."

The motor was probably a rebuilt example with D.III 160hp embossed on the crankcase. This motor was outclassed by early 1917. All late 1917 D.V and D.Va types used the 180hp Merc. D. IIIaü.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hello all.

Glad to see your Albie thread up and running.

I have been down south on vacation for the last week. But I am back now. I fully expected my Albies to be here waiting. I ordered them on March 10. The other orders took about a week to get in my front door, these were ordered 19 days ago.

Uncle Ernie is getting impatient. Terri, I need chocolate chip cookies.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
My order took 7 days from payment confirmation to shipping, then 4.5 days after shipping. Perhaps they are even further behind?
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

". . .Now to start with a couple of questions:
The bulkhead behind the pilot. The Smithsonian book mentions a "Canvas" bulkhead and WNW instruction manual in the written portion mentions a "Screen". Their directions, however, say to paint the bulkhead in the same "Wood" color as the rest of the interior. Anyone know for sure what material and how it was finished?. . .

The examples that still exist tell us Linen was commone for the rear cockpit screen. Wood is equally possible. Probably when linen use was resticted to flying surfaces only.

Quoted Text

". . .The second question is engine type. Looking at the pictures of my subject on the WNW website it looks as though "Polka Dot" has the 160 HP DIII engine. If any of you experts would care to look and confirm I would appreciate the help!. . ."

The motor was probably a rebuilt example with D.III 160hp embossed on the crankcase. This motor was outclassed by early 1917. All late 1917 D.V and D.Va types used the 180hp Merc. D. IIIaü.

Stephen,
Thanks for the response and info! I hope this helps the others doing a DV/5A build.
I don't know why but I seem to recall reading the Smithsonian D.Va bulkhead/screen was painted/doped Interior Grey Green? By the way in the pictures there is no evidence of stiching, sooooo..... Glued? snapped on?

Thanks for the engine confirmation.
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, Thanks for the response and info! I hope this helps the others doing a D.V/ Va build. I don't know why but I seem to recall reading the Smithsonian D.Va bulkhead/screen was painted/doped Interior Grey Green? By the way in the pictures there is no evidence of stiching, sooooo..... Glued? snapped on? Thanks for the engine confirmation.
RAGIII

You have to quote me chapter and verse Rick. Remember also that the machine was a late production type.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 08:49 PM UTC
Reference the screen, using the Albatros Fighters datafile as ref, theres a pic on page 45 bottom left, shows said screen half folded down....looks darker to the front so possibly doped yes but that could be time, the front is exposed to more elements than the rear of it would have been quite fresh.
Furthermore...page 32, the deskinned exhibit shows this screen clearly., too thin for wood and look closely under the seat...wrinkled and cut out for the cables.

I'm going for doped linen, either interior grey or possibly a khaki shade, and I'm assuming rightly or wrongly it was tacked in place the first pic I mentioned seems to support this idea, low left around the stringer thers what appears to be tack indentations.

I hope this helps and doesnt just add to the debate..I wil be watching but mine is already commited to linen,,,,:)

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
The short answer is that it was nailed / tacked inplace then doped (and painted if not in lozenge) before the former was incorporated into the fuselage skeleton.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The short answer is that it was nailed / tacked inplace then doped (and painted if not in lozenge) before the former was incorporated into the fuselage skeleton.

Stephen, thanks for the clarification! I guess sometimes I overlook the most obvious I don't know why nails and tacks didn't come to my mind first!

Keith,
I don't think there is any controversy. Your mention of the Data File pics was Literally an eye opener. I have viewed those pictures hundreds of times but never really LOOKED!
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
I was planning on a photo update today but it seems there are "technical difficulties" with downloading at the moment! I have painted the interior wood grain. Thought I could fill those Mold Pin release marks with thick paint. The pictures will show that this was not the case! I went back since the photos and
sanded/scraped the holes. I then repainted the cockpit area. Quite honestly I left the ones in the forward fuselage/engine area as they will not be seen with a closed cowling!! I will post the original photos as soon as I am able.
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC
My pin marks were real shallow. So I put a little Mr. Surfacer in them followed by a lite sanding and they poofed out of existence.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC
Here are the pictures as promised. Again I have since gone back and filled/sanded the pin release marks. In addition I have finished the wood grain. Perhaps I will be able to photograph tomerrow.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Those are much deeper than the ones I had to contend with..
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Injector pin marks...they seem a little deeper than mine too, maybe its the paint that accentuates them?

Another thing to look out for...the same pin marks are on the joint faces of the fuselage halfs the same as a lot of Trumpeter kits have and can leave little gaps in the seam

I like the pale wood though will look good with a little variation is panels
Keith
67foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Rick,

I have been watching the start of all the Albatros D.V builds here and I really like the pale wood tone you are using for inside your fuselage too. Please tell what base coat and other colours you are using to get this tone.

Thanks,
Dave
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rick,

I have been watching the start of all the Albatros D.V builds here and I really like the pale wood tone you are using for inside your fuselage too. Please tell what base coat and other colours you are using to get this tone.

Thanks,
Dave

The base coat is Polyscale Clear Doped Linen. I then use Raw Sienna brushed on slightly wet. Next a 1/4" flat brush to remove most of the actual pigment, leaving just a hint of the color. I then use Burnt Sienna sparingly, blended for a little variation. finally a fan brush is used to smooth it all out.
Thanks for the compliment on the light color. I must add that after getting rid of the pin marks the repaint is just a tad darker.
RAGIII
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
OK, I said this would be a slow build
Here is the repainted fuselage and the Fuel Tank, Ammo Box, and fuselage former assembly. I tried for a look on the Aluminum ammo cans that would look pressed/rolled/ hammered :-)
I did not fill the mold pin release holes I felt would not be seen. I am actually somewhat further along than these pics.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
Very nice job on the wood grian Rick , very realistic in apperence . I like the ammo bins as well , but to me the metal finish has a weird look to it . That could be just me do to the lack of morning coffee . Looking forward to the next up-date my friend
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job on the wood grian Rick , very realistic in apperence . I like the ammo bins as well , but to me the metal finish has a weird look to it . That could be just me do to the lack of morning coffee . Looking forward to the next up-date my friend

Terri, Thanks for the comments. The close up of the Ammo Cans looks a lot different than it did to my 1/1 eyeball
I might just attach a map to cover the left can, and repaint the right one
I am only working on this ocassiaonally as I am trying to finish an off topic 109 thing for IM.
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP