_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 DH.9a guitarlute101
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I'll be doing a build of the Wingnut Wings DH.9a" Ninak". A very ungainly aircraft but one of my all time favorites

Windsock has two volumes on the Ninak that are available now, numbers 139 and 141

I'll be modeling profile "A", the AMC built E8483 "IF" of 99 Sqn, October 1918...

I'm sure Stephen will have a review soon so I will just touch on my observations of the kit. Looking through the instructions, I noticed a part that is not included in the PE fret, part P9 that is to be mounted to the pilots rudder bar to accept rigging lines. I'll be using some Eduard turnbuckles on each end of the rudder bar in place of this part.

I also had a broken piece on the engine sprue and have sent an email to Wingnuts to obtain a replacement.

Next....on to some painting..............

Mark

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi Mark:

I am working on this right now as well. I didn't spend a lot of time on the engine as it will be totally covered up. The carburetor mounts are questionable as to how they go on as well as seat belt placement. Other than that it is a fun build. I am at the point of having the fuselage buttoned up and determining if the carburetor intake stacks are too tall. I may cut them off and install them once the engine cowling is in place. I am doing mine in the USMC markings, (naturally) and am looking forward to seeing how you are doing on yours to compare notes.

Take care

Mark K.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC
Thanks Mark. I've really been looking forward to this build. I noticed on page 39 of the first volume of the Ninak Datafile that it is indicated that there will be two versions of the Ninak produced by Wingnuts. Hopefully the later version with the extra radiator under the engine. There are some very colorful profiles for that version.

I look forward to seeing your build.

Mark
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC
Will be watching this one closely Mark as I have one in the stash..

Tell us how you go with the replacement part as well. I better go and check all mine!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC
Now here's the deal. I don't have one of these beauties. And since Mark has begun in grand fashion I would like to ask him to submit a review! Fresh eyes and all that.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now here's the deal. I don't have one of these beauties. And since Mark has begun in grand fashion I would like to ask him to submit a review! Fresh eyes and all that.

Hi Stephen: Okay, which Mark do you mean? MH or MK? I have never done a review but would be willing to take a stab at it.
As with any kit there are some "problem areas", albeit very minor. I think WNW does a good job with their instructions; but there are areas that come into question, hence one should definately study the plans. dry fit and make foot notes prior to assembly. I am taking this slowly and strictly OOB save for Bob's Buckles Turnbuckles. (Man are they small)!

Best

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
Mark and Mark,

Text and images. See other reviews to get a pattern going. Ok. . .on your mark Mark and Mark, get set GO!
Cob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
Mark,
On the WNW website, there is a correction to the DH.9a instructions that indicates no PE piece for the rudder bar. For some reason it was removed from the fret.
v/r,
Rob
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:30 AM UTC

Thanks Rob. I actually can't access that part of the website. I'm having some trouble that others have reported. When I click on the Ninak picture then the "Instructions" tab, it takes me back to the main page with all of the new releases. May have to update my browser or something?

Mark
Cob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Rob. I actually can't access that part of the website. I'm having some trouble that others have reported. When I click on the Ninak picture then the "Instructions" tab, it takes me back to the main page with all of the new releases. May have to update my browser or something?

Mark

Sorry Mark, I'm a computer user not a computer fixer kind of guy Maybe you can get there using the link. Oh and it's under "hints and tips" not the instructions.

OK the link takes you to the picture but it's very tiny...sorry I don't know how to make it bigger.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark and Mark,

Text and images. See other reviews to get a pattern going. Ok. . .on your mark Mark and Mark, get set GO!

Whoa! There's an echo in here. . . an echo in here. . .an echo in here. . .on your mark Mark and Mark. . .on your mark Mark and Mark. . .on your mark Mark and Mark. . .

guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark

Sorry Mark, I'm a computer user not a computer fixer kind of guy Maybe you can get there using the link. Oh and it's under "hints and tips" not the instructions.

OK the link takes you to the picture but it's very tiny...sorry I don't know how to make it bigger.

Thanks Rob! I'm actually not much of a computer guy either. If I can't point and click then I'm lost I appreciate the help.

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark and Mark,

Whoa! There's an echo in here. . . an echo in here. . .an echo in here. . .on your mark Mark and Mark. . .on your mark Mark and Mark. . .on your mark Mark and Mark. . .

Stephen,

I'll PM Mark K and we'll put something together.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,
On the WNW website, there is a correction to the DH.9a instructions that indicates no PE piece for the rudder bar. For some reason it was removed from the fret.v/r,Rob

I think the reason it was ammended is that if the PE was attached to the pilots rudder bar, it would have interfered with the fit. It is really tight in there and that may have exceeded the tolerances.

R/S
Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

Looking forwrad to seeing this one developing – I had considered ordering it, but opted for the RE.8 instead – but I have a feeling yours (and the other Marks) build will inspire me to go for this one next time around

Oh  –and looking forward to a review as well

Best Regards

Mikael
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 02:18 AM UTC

Thanks Mikael, I'm looking forward to the build and working on the review with Mark K. There's a lot of possibilities for differing wood grain, PC10 and Battleship Grey color variations.

I remember when Wingnuts first came out with their kits and I was thinking how great it would be to build a 1/32 Ninak, and I remember thinking they would probably never do a Ninak, but here it is. It's a great time for all of us modelers!

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:43 AM UTC
I got this one also. I had to tell myself I would not start it until I finish the 3 kits on my desktop right now. Yeah I will finish those 3 kits first. No room for a Ninak. But maybe, if I move a few things.... No I must finish the three kits on my desk first.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
Here's an update. I've spent my free time during the week working on the wood grain. I've used several different shades.....................

And used burnt umber oil paint thinned a little with Japan Drier on all of the wood parts............

Next will be a light coat of Tamiya Clear Yellow, spray some more Battleship Grey, leather seat cusions and Linen then I'll assemble the interior with rigging.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
Okay now I have a dumb question ......is there three seats in the pic's ?

Looking good so far Mark , always enjoy your wood grain
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 03:40 PM UTC

Hi Terri,

There are two seats (one not pictured), a two piece backrest for the pilot and the instrument panel there. I painted the backrest and intrument panel in mahogany.

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
Great start to this project Mark – that wood looks good – not too much, not too little – just right!

Mikael
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC

Thanks Mikael. The color pictures of the Ninak in the instructions show very little wood grain even up close so I took it kinda easy on this build.

Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi Mark:

Looking good so far. I like the subtle wood grain on the interior sides. Mine is a little darker than I would have liked.
I should start on the review tomorrow as I will be in one place with all of my stuff for a week!

Best

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC

Sounds great Mark. I should have the interior done in a couple of days.

mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 02:48 PM UTC

Did a test fit of the basic interior.......

I had to trim just a little from the back of the observer's floor............

The fuselage and bottom fit perfectly when closed up....................

Mark
 _GOTOTOP