Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Alb D.V, CaptainA
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC
I checked and the pictures are not clear enough to decide which propeller, radiator or engine each aircraft had. So I guess it is up in the air.

I will be building Wolff's Bavarian scheme.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I checked and the pictures are not clear enough to decide which propeller, radiator or engine each aircraft had. So I guess it is up in the air.

I will be building Wolff's Bavarian scheme.

Then its only fitting it should have a Wolff prop surely?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 11:43 PM UTC
I see your point...

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Master Spandaus came in. I got one put together, and it looks great. I also started on the HGW seatbelts. They require a lot of work. But I think they will look good. I filled the divots in the fuselage halves and laid down a primer coat. I have also started building two 160 HP engines, (and two engines for the Gotha, I couldn't help it.) My back is hurting, so I left the workshop without taking any pictures. But I am making some slow progress. I love this kit.

Can anybody give me a good educated guess as to which propeller we would be most likely to find on this aircraft in July/August 1917?

Carl,
The Master Spandaus I ordered arrived a couple of days ago and they look incredible. Did you use solder on assembly or just CA? My soldering experience is virtually nil thus I'm hoping to stick (pardon the pun) with more conventional methods.

Cheers,

Carl,
Thanks, one less thing to wring my hands about. They truly are a work of art and I don't want to spoil them using a new method. CA it is!

Cheers,
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:19 AM UTC
I am glad you got and like your Master Spandaus. They are really nice.

I have made a little progress, and I have some pictures to prove it.

I did the inside of the fuselage in oils. I did not do an elaborate wood scheme because it will be largely unnoticed. I do like the color of the oils in replicating wood, so that is why I did use the oils. First, I put down a nice white primer coat over the divot repairs. Then I mixed up some oils, yellow ochre, cadmium yellow and white were mixed with some Japan Drier. This mixed dried up over night.

Some of the engine work on the starbord side. First I drilled out where the plugs would be, and inserted some hypodermic tubing, and painted them white.

Here are the wires ready to be hooked up.

The port side is wired up. Since the hypo tube is hollow, it is easy to insert the wire into it and fold it down. A touch of CA and a dab of black paint, and it looks like it should. The starbbord side will be finished up tomorrow. I finished up the port side this morning. If you choose to do all this wire work, be aware it will interfere with the intake manifold.

If you are wondering why this build is slow moving.

Yeah, that darn Gotha is presenting a bit of a distraction. Two engines for the Albatros and two for the Gotha. I have also been gluing bomb halves together. There are a lot of extra bombs in that kit. It would have been easy for WNW to block off the extra bombs that will not be used. But instead, they chose to put them in the kit. Thanks WNW. I don't know where I am going to use them, but I am sure they will come in handy.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I don't know where I am going to use them, but I am sure they will come in handy.

...to bomb chevys, of course! ...I'm outta here - nice start chief, makes me want to try another WWI piece{1/32 HB W29!}
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:32 PM UTC
Be nice. You know that won't happen because they are different scales.

Sorry good people, that was "something completely different".
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

Neat work on the engines. I noticed the Gotha motors right off. I am at the bomb stage too, but kitchen painting and digging out of the aftermath of another dumping has me stymied.

Best

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
Nice start so far Carl , very nice painting on the engine and the other ones on the go .
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carl:

Neat work on the engines. I noticed the Gotha motors right off. I am at the bomb stage too, but kitchen painting and digging out of the aftermath of another dumping has me stymied.

Best

Mark

I heard you got socked with about a foot of the white stuff yesterday. Reminds me that the only white stuff I like is shipped in green and brown bottles from Germany. Think I might go get a glass now.

I spent most of my modeling time today working on Gotha bombs. They were all glued two days ago. Today I sanded and primed, an resanded, and reprimed them. The way they go together is unique in that one half has all the tail fins. But when they are glued, they have a tendancy to pull apart, either in the front, or the rear. And it is hard to get the gap in the rear seated tight, which means filling, sanding and loss of the wonderful rivet detail. But I have a solution for this. But more on that later, and probably in another thread. I think I should start my Gotha thread, but I am hesitant to proceed much further until my Gotha book arrives. Any news on yours yet, Mark? I think we are all hoping Mrs. Master Guns got you one on the way. I can assure you It is hard to ignore once you have one. Get your book on it early.

Did a little work on the engines also. Along that line, I drilled out the distributers, and ran the wires to the starbord side plugs. I hope to get some work done on the distributers tomorrow, but it looks doubtful, as the doctors have dibs on our time. The distributers will likely take up two days to wire up and connect to the engines.

This WNW Albatros kit is a gem. If you are on the fence about getting one, let me help you out. Order one of each, and give some serious thought to their AM decals. You won't regret it.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice start so far Carl , very nice painting on the engine and the other ones on the go .

Thanks Terri. Are you going to get one of these? And did you ever get your Pfalz?

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hi Carl
Yes we got about over a foot of snow here, it had been quite nice with actual melting and one could actually see bare ground! But not now! I did get the Gotha Book, lots of good tips, photo's etc. I don't think Mrs. Master Gunns is getting it for me, I may have to get it seruptitiously, and then be amazed when she sees it. We shall see.
I do have both Albatri and am leaning that way, as I have Rowan's Jasta 5 Sheets to include the one you are doing, I am leaning more towards Paul Baumers though. He was the main character in "All Quiet on the Western Front", I think you may have told me that Paul Baumer was a personal friend of Eric Maria Remarque and he used his name with permission for the main character. I like the wood and painted fuselage with the Edelweiss.
Your engines are looking sweet. I am decaling bombs. I don't get too wrapped around the axle over bombs. On the Gotha though they are readily apparent.
Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 12:26 AM UTC
I am not the one who stated those two were friends. I do remember reading it here though.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Terri. Are you going to get one of these? And did you ever get your Pfalz?

No , I will not be getting one and same for the Pfalz D.IIIa , The hobby shop is having trouble with the order .
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:07 AM UTC
I like the work on the motor(s) and wood grain. Are you going to overcoat in Clear Orange/Red or leave as is?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
A yellow/orange mix will be used.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 01:40 AM UTC
Some progress

The starboard side engine

The port side engine

I plan to leave the engine panels unattached, so I needed the extra detail on here. If you are putting the engine panels, you really can't see anything below the induction and exhaust pipes.

I had to modify the control stick unit to make it appropriate for the D.V. (Remember, I am using the D.Va kit) I found some small PE circular pieces and glued them in place. This makes a nice little slot to hold the control wires that will need to be glued into place. I also sanded the details off the ammo cans and replaced them with PE details from the Eduard set. This will be barely visible if you look into the cockpit with a flashlight.

It all fits.

I have alo put a white primer coat on the outside of the fuselage. I thought it would be difficult to mask and paint certain areas once the fuselage was buttoned up. Also, the fuselage needs to be white. So I just went ahead and primed it. I will work on the seems when the time comes, but I wont need to worry about the areas around the MGs . More on that later in the build.

Since I am using the D.Va decals with the D.V kit, the decals are not interchangable by number.

Thread edited by request of author.

Also, the gun support bar is slightly to long. I remedied this by filing the tabs that glue into the fuselage slots. I had to remove about half the tab on each side. This might be due to a bit of paint in the slots. I thought I got it out, but I might not have gotten it all. So I can't fault the kit. Beware the tolerances.

The kit is going together well. It is fun to build this kit up, and not just because I am an Albatros guy.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 02:34 AM UTC
Looks great thus far Carl. Anxious to see more. "Q"
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
HI Carl:

Looking good so far. The engine is looking good with the plug wires and the overall finish. I like the wood 'effect' you did as well as I looked over your build blog. Looking forward to more. Is Gotha on hold or are you building them concurrently?

Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
This is my primary build. The Gotha is a distraction that keeps calling my name.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
She's looking mighty fine-I like the detailing on the Mercedes. I may just have to spring for one of those kits sometime in the future.

Hope you didn't get blasted too bad by that storm last night.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:49 AM UTC
The homestead weathered the storm pretty well. I woke up in the middle of the night because of the rain, which was louder than I have ever heard it before. All the cats were sitting on the bed looking out the window, and I guess we were all hoping the windows were going to stay in their frames. Thanks for asking, and I hope you came through the storm with no damage also.

Today, I painted some odds and ends. I think I will be able to get all the insides completed tomorrow if I get the time.

The seatbelts went together well. My only complaint about them is the PE is so delicate. Iwish they would make the PE a little more substantial where the seatbelts connect to the seat support. It is best to cut them out using a metal straightedge and a #11 blade. Trying to cut them with scissors is futile, and you probably wont get a straight cut. I have them attached in the pictures I posted this morning, but I don't have then conforming to the seats yet. I would use them again. I also trimmed down an old Roden seat cushion to give Leutnant Wolff a little padding for his bum. I painted some very thin strips of tape black and put it on the outside of the plywood seat to convey the idea of black leather being folded over and attached to the wood. It looks like there is actually folds where it laps over the edge. Unfortunately, when closed up, you can't see any of it. If you didn't paint the outside of the seat, nobody would ever know. But the only thing that matters is that we know it is there, and I have photographic evidence. heheheh

The assembly of this kit is going well with no problems encountered so far, aside from the decals being incorrectly identified. So be sure to watch out for that.

Albatros.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 11:53 AM UTC
Nice to see you got some paint on her now ! Engine looks great so far Carl , are you going to add any more details to her ? Not that the kit parts really need it . The Eduard set , is for the Roden Albie D.III ?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thanks Terri. Yes the PE set is for the D.III. But a lot of the parts are useful. As far as my detail, yes I am going to do some more. I plan to remove all the molded acess covers and surface details on the fuselage and wingsand replacing them with PE. I have already built up PE MGs, which look fantastic.I think that is most likely all I will do.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Terri. Yes the PE set is for the D.III. But a lot of the parts are useful. As far as my detail, yes I am going to do some more. I plan to remove all the molded acess covers and surface details on the fuselage and wingsand replacing them with PE. I have already built up PE MGs, which look fantastic.I think that is most likely all I will do.

Carl if you are replacing all the access panels please be aware the foremost under the nose is moulded on by WNW too far back, it should be under the sump in other words just in front of the panel line forwards of the one its moulded in front of. Place the engine in the frame and you'll see what I mean. front one is for the sump/pump. the rear for the fuel tank drain cock.

This shows what I mean Carl.

K

Oh and nice work so far