Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Alb D.V, CaptainA
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

on 2011-03-02 05:10, JackFlash wrote:
Richard Alexander sent this along.

'I note there is some confusion starting on Aeroscale about 32009 Albatros D.V decal placement. While we are not perfect I do not believe we have got this many decal numbers incorrect.

I believe this confusion is being caused by someone trying to use the
instructions from 32009 Albatros D.V to place decals from 32015
Albatros D.Va. It is important to note that these are different models
with different decal sheets.

I would hate for too many people to be mislead by your forum (and now
your review). Anyone looking for decal numbers 72, 73, 74, 75 and
76 on their 32009 Albatros D.V decal sheet they will have a hard time
finding them when they go up to 71.

May I suggest that a quick check of the review samples you have on hand should clear matters up.

If not, please feel free to let me know.

Regards
Richard "

Well good folk, in response to this.

I noticed the decals that go on the dashboard were not the all black switches that appear on the dashboard on the pictures and on the D.Va. Also, there is one guage that goes on the dashboard, which was way oversized, and would not fit on the dashboard. I can't remember, but I think it is the ammo counter. These did not match up, which caused me to have to switch a lot of decals around.

I see the point he is making. I do not have the D.V decals. It is possible the mix up is because the decals might be numbered differently between the two kits. I will go back and make this notation on my post. I will also make an apology as I feel this is my mistake.

So let me be humble and admit my mistake. The decals are numbered correctly in the kits. My notation about incorrect decals is only correct if you are using the D.V instructions with the D.Va kit (and decals). I am sorry if I caused any confusion. These are two wonderful kits that beg to be built, so go out and build them.

I went back and edited my post.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carl if you are replacing all the access panels please be aware the foremost under the nose is moulded on by WNW too far back, it should be under the sump in other words just in front of the panel line forwards of the one its moulded in front of. Place the engine in the frame and you'll see what I mean. front one is for the sump/pump. the rear for the fuel tank drain cock.

Thanks for the reminder. Now that you have brought it up, I remember this. I would have forgotten it when the time came aroumd to do it though. I wont be making a big hole in the fuselage as it would have been on the actual aircraft. I will only be sanding of the molded detail to replace it with the PE. So this will be an easy modification.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 07:52 PM UTC
Oh yes of course Carl, Mine is a big hole cos I have no engine in, building her as a strip out....the engine is in the Roland now. which reminds me I better get on with it.

Keith
Emilio_Lizardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 01:35 PM UTC
Dumb question from the back of the room:

What did you do to keep the bulkhead channels clean? Second question, (not so dumb, as I think this is where Ray Rimell may have had some challenge on the wing alignment) the bulkhead with the fuel tank and the ammo cases have the wing alignment grooves. Alas, this bulkhead should have had an alignment tab key as a couple other bulkheads do, especially as it affects the lower wing alignment. Any trick to having this one on the level?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What did you do to keep the bulkhead channels clean? Second question, (not so dumb, as I think this is where Ray Rimell may have had some challenge on the wing alignment) the bulkhead with the fuel tank and the ammo cases have the wing alignment grooves. Alas, this bulkhead should have had an alignment tab key as a couple other bulkheads do, especially as it affects the lower wing alignment. Any trick to having this one on the level?

Hello Brother,

I didnt keep them clean. I scraped them out with the side of a jewelers file. But remember the plastic is very, very thin here. So scrape the paint, not the plastic. As for the alignment, Test Fit before gluing everything in place. I didn't have any trouble on the first Alby. Any pictures Dave?

Dave, Are you going to the Pig Dinner?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, reference the wing issue, The wings tend to drop they seem sprung, the slots in the front of the bulkhead arn't anywhere pronounced enough to hold them. Of course on the real A/C they dont exist anyway.
This is what I did, I dryfitted and taped the fuselage and bulkhead together. I seriously opened out the edges of the locating hole the wingstub goes through in the fuselage taking some out of the outside top edge and the inside lower edge with a needle file. Checking and file then check again....repeatedly. I took a sliver of the inner wing top edge too to try to ease the tendancy for the wing to spring down. and lots of constant checking. Make absolutely sure no paint gets into the wing location recess, I opened mine up a little with a knife till everything fitted snug with no tip droop. I suppose you could beef up the bulkhead area and create slots out of sections of thick plasticard for the stubs to slide into, this area is hidden behind the fuel tank after all, but I think you still need to open up the slots.

Rgds
Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
I have had a lot of appointments and other things going on this week. So I haven't had the time to focus on this build. I haven't had enough uninterupted time to accomplish anything on the Albatros, just a few minutes here and there, so I spent that little time working on the darkside (auto modeling). Right now I have three cars and four aircraft competing for space on the work desk. Tomorrow, I have nothing going on, so I am going to clear everything off the desk, and see if I can get the fuselage buttoned up. Tonight, I think I am going to sleep early. Nighty-night all.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hello good friends. It has been well over a month since my last post. As you know, I have had back surgery, which left me in a lot of pain. I have been recovering much slower than I had hoped. But I am able to sit and do some modeling now. Not much more than a few hours a day, or I will end up in a lot of pain. But, at least, I am able to do some things.

Here is my interior, just before I sealed it up.

And now the decals are on the fuselage.

And the other side

This morning, I got the lower wings on. I will try to post some more pics in a few days.

Here is where my other Albie stands at this time.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 08:08 AM UTC
Excellent Carl!

Glad to see your back at it! Great progress.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC
You left just as I was arriving. Back surgery? Ouch. Glad to hear you are on the mend. The D.V looks great. Are those decals as difficult as they look like they "should" be? either way it looks great.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
Carl,
welcome back, and they both are looking fantastic!
RAGIII
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
Carl,
I can relate, been 5 weeks since I did my time on the big marble slab and I'm still a wee bit tender here and there. Don't envy you at all, double Hernia procedure isn't minor however back surgery........ I feel for you!
On the brighter side fewer excuses / reasons then usual to pull you away from the modeling desk and both your Albies look great; especially impressed with the Diamond Beauty of Wolf's. Keep the updates flowing and welcome back, look forward to more.

Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hey Carl – Nice to see you're getting back into the saddle again  – nice progress too – those bavarian decals look absolutely great! Was it difficult to get it all to fit?

Looking forward to more as it develops

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You left just as I was arriving. Back surgery? Ouch. Glad to hear you are on the mend. The D.V looks great. Are those decals as difficult as they look like they "should" be? either way it looks great.

They went on really well. It takes a little work to line them up right, and I would not reccomend them to somebody with limited experience. But if you can put Loz on the wings of an Albie or an LVG, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks folks. Good to be back. I will be a bit slow in my posts until I can build up some back strength. But I will be around often.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

Welcome back. The progress looks good on both of the Albies. You are a lot further than I am. It has been over a month since I last worked on mine. Too much in the way at this time. Glad that you are able to be back at the bench and that you are on the mend.
Looking forward to more.

Best wishes for your recovery

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC
Mark, I hope those tornados missed you. I saw they were in your neighborhood.

Got the top wing on and most of the rigging done on both Albies. I will get some pictures posted this weekend.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 09:09 AM UTC
Keep at it Carl. Looking great at the moment.

Hope you weren't affected by the tornadoes.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 09:37 AM UTC
The tornados stayed a comfortable distance from my little corner of the earth. After the two windstorms, I had bark all over my yard. Wierd. We also had to move the 5 cats down to our storm room because there was a lot of rotation in the clouds around us. At least now we know it takes 10-15 minutes for two adults to move 5 cats down one flight of stairs.

But to stay on topic here...

I got the albie up on its feet. I will try to get the wheels painted and attached in the morning.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
Herding cats is not possible..
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Carl

Anxious to see the photo updates.

Your side of the river always seems to get it worse than our side...
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:46 AM UTC
Glad to see you back at the bench once more ! Both albbies are looking great so far
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Carl, marvellous work and hope you are getting over your bad back. I have one as well but am staying away from the surgeons as much as possible.

@ David, there is never a dumb question, only a dumb person who doesn't ask a question and ruins things. Regarding the channels, I use Tamiya Extra Thin liquid cement for almost everything nowadays and have found that unlike the old days you don't need to remove paint before you glue. The cement just seems to remove it by itself.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC
Yes. Keep the channels clear. I actually found a small file and scraped the channels clear of all paint. I took it to the point that I actually made them a little deeper. Fit ended up being great with the channel scrape. It is important for two reasons. First is the fit. If there is paint in the channels, the fuselage will be hard to close up. Secondly is the cement has to be attached to plastic instead of paint. But the reality of it is I didn't glue the bulkheads. They sat nicely in their channels.

I have all three of my stalled Albatri finished, and I have moved the SE 5a to the desktop. I will try to shoot some photos if I can find some batteries.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
Found the batteries.

I think I'll post the Roden D.III that has been stalled out for quite a while.

Next one finished is my Namesake.

And lastly, the Bavarian.

The Albatros Werke is officially closed until next time.

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
Both are gorgeous but the Bavarian is seriously smokin' hot. I have to keep the photos moving or I am afraid it may burn my monitor.