_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Alb D.V, CaptainA
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 10:31 AM UTC
As our esteemed leader, Stephen Lawson guessed, I will be building another Albatros. Not the yellow mount of Ernst von Althaus, but the Beautiful Bavarian mount of Leutnant Wolff. For this build, I will be using the Excellent Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V kit; Pheon Decals wonderful set #32016, Ltn. Wolf's Albatros D.V; Eduard Accessories Item#: EDU32583, Albatros D.III Detail; and HGW 32007 Albatros Seatbelts and PE set.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
Looking forward to your build Carl !
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:11 PM UTC
Will be following this build!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

I have that sheet as well, it is a work of art and I am looking forward to seeing your work on it.

Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 11:19 AM UTC
I am really anxious to get this build started. I have tried to source some of those wonderful spandau barrels by Air Master. I might need a few of the Parabellums for the Gotha also. Everybody is out. If anybody knows where to get some, or has some they want to part with, please PM me. I think this build would be almost incomplete without them.

Terri and Mobius, It is nice to have a fan base. I will try hard to not dissapoint you.

Mark, I got the Bavarian and the Demon decal sets. Hard choice on which one I want to build. I think both of these options are fantastic. The decals are absolutely beautiful. Maybe I can talk my wife into another WNW Albatros. She loves the Albatros as much as I do. And she really likes both of the decal options. If I do a really nice job on the Bavarian, mabe she will break down and tell me to go ahead and order one. I started dropping hints today. I could also use a Pfalz, Roland, and a RE.8, if any of my fans are feeling generous.

I have two projects I need to finish before I cut the plastic bags open. The first project was to put a gas grill together, which I did today. (I certainly think that is deserving of another Albatros.) The second project is a bright orange Porsche 934 RSR "Jagermeister", which will be finished in 2-3 days of good building time. This is the 911 turbo with the whale tail rear spoiler. The first car I ever saw that I fell in love with. Odds are I will never have the real one, but a 1/12th scale kit seems to be enough to keep me amused these days.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 07:59 PM UTC
You know I'm waiting....Albiholics never get enough.

Wouldnt be the Tamya Porsche by chance? I have that built up in the loft in a box somewhere from its first ressurection/

Back to the Albi, I suppose you've noted down everyones little pointers from all the builds for this one?

Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know I'm waiting....Albiholics never get enough.

Wouldnt be the Tamya Porsche by chance? I have that built up in the loft in a box somewhere from its first ressurection/

Back to the Albi, I suppose you've noted down everyones little pointers from all the builds for this one?

Keith

Yes it is the Tamiya kit. Beautiful little kit.

I have noted others builds as well as my own build of a D.V, which is almost finished. It is a fantastic kit. Highly reccomended for anybody looking for an interesting WWI subject. I think I really need to get a few extra of these to keep around in case of emergencies. I am down to 1 WNW Albatros and 1 Roden Albatros in 32nd scale. I am also down to about a dozen or so Albatri in 48th scale.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi Carl

What an excellent choice I too have the Pheon Wolffs decals in my stash! (and two WNW DVs as well). I had a really hard time trying to resist that OTT Bavarian profile – but finally caved in and got it (The Rumey Demon set looks great too).

Really looking forward to seeing you do this build, and taking notes on the decal application.

Best Regards

Mikael
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

Sounds like a great choice. I eagerly await the picts.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
Spandau barrels by Air Master are on their way.

Jagermeister should be done some time tomorrow.

I think on Tuesday, I need to click some pictures, and get this build started.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC
The Porsche needs about an hour's worth of work tomorrow, then I will be starting this build.

Anybody want to see the orange Porsche?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carl:

Sure, give us a view of the orange Porsche.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Carl:

Sure, give us a view of the orange Porsche.

Yes please !
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes! I still have the Group 5 Martini Porsche 935 to do. To this day i still believe those two Porsches are the finest plastic model kits ever made. I'm also one of the only people in the world (it seems) to have ever built the Porsches great rival the Entex/Otaki 1/12 BMW 3.5CSL- almost as good as the Tamiya kits, but try finding them.

Andrew
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 12:55 PM UTC
we want the porsche!

we want the porsche!

we want the porsche!

we want the porsche!

we want the porsche!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC
As requested
Jagermeister
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 09:00 AM UTC
I have drifted off the subject matter quite a bit lately. But now, I am ready to kick off my build in earnest.

For those of you who are unsure of what I will be building, here is the instructional page from Pheon Decals.

If I can talk my wife into another Albatros, I will be using the other decal set from Pheon.

Both of these sets are absolutely beautiful, and I am anxious to get them on my build. If you are on the fence about purchasing these limited decals, all I can say is, go for it before they are gone.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
Of course, this is an Albatros D.V. I have already used my D.V kit, so I will be using the D.Va kit. The two kits use the same exact sprues. The only real differences between the kits are the decals and instructions. So I will be using the instructions for the D.V, as well as some of the decals for the national markings.

Other items I will be using are:

I will start priming the interior tonight. That way, I can get some oils down. I picked up some Japan Drier, which is supposed to make the oils dry overnight. I hope this stuff works, or it will be a very slow build.

These seatbelts look fantastic. So I am anxious to open them up and see how they are. But first impression is that I will be using this brand on most of my builds, from now on.

Well good folk, I have a Gotha to go fondle for a while. So it is time for me to go.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
Not entirely the same sprues Carl, the control column assembly will need to be modded..well if you are going all out it will and of course the control cable entry points in the upper wing, not a lot really I have to say and likely most wouldnt notice it tucked away in the depths of the cockpit...but you would know...laughs maniacally

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

I am looking forward to following your work on this build, and..........yor comments on the seat belts.

Best

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not entirely the same sprues Carl, the control column assembly will need to be modded.

You are absolutely right. Thanks much because I missed that. It also seems I will need to do the shrouds for the aileron control horns. Neither of these is a really big problem. I should have just used the D.V kit.

I filled the ejector pin marks inside the fuselage today. That was all I really was able to do today. The Pheon instructions don't know which radiator, propeller, or engine was fitted to this aircraft. They suggest the 160 HP version of the engine. That seems reasonable to me. What do you all think?

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
The Master Spandaus came in. I got one put together, and it looks great. I also started on the HGW seatbelts. They require a lot of work. But I think they will look good. I filled the divots in the fuselage halves and laid down a primer coat. I have also started building two 160 HP engines, (and two engines for the Gotha, I couldn't help it.) My back is hurting, so I left the workshop without taking any pictures. But I am making some slow progress. I love this kit.

Can anybody give me a good educated guess as to which propeller we would be most likely to find on this aircraft in July/August 1917?
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Master Spandaus came in. I got one put together, and it looks great. I also started on the HGW seatbelts. They require a lot of work. But I think they will look good. I filled the divots in the fuselage halves and laid down a primer coat. I have also started building two 160 HP engines, (and two engines for the Gotha, I couldn't help it.) My back is hurting, so I left the workshop without taking any pictures. But I am making some slow progress. I love this kit.

Can anybody give me a good educated guess as to which propeller we would be most likely to find on this aircraft in July/August 1917?

Carl,
The Master Spandaus I ordered arrived a couple of days ago and they look incredible. Did you use solder on assembly or just CA? My soldering experience is virtually nil thus I'm hoping to stick (pardon the pun) with more conventional methods.

Cheers,
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
I used CA. If these guys were going to be under high stress of constant handling, as in some armor applications, solder would be a wise choice. But they are going to be tucked away under a wing, so CA is the better choice.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC
Greeting Carl

On the propeller check your Jasta 5 references concerning the a/c. I have both of the Datafile specials. which aircraft are you building or is it still up in the air? Hah hah!
 _GOTOTOP