Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 DH 9a Mgunns
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC
Excellent. You got her up on her feet. The radiator looks good.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks Carl:

You know, you bring out a camera and take some serious pictures and these guys gotta get into the act. They just show up at the righ time. Sheesh!

The pilot figure is out of an old Nitto 1/32 Swallow or something like that, and the guy by the prop is of our old buddy Al Williams from the Monogram Gulfhawk/F3F kit.

Now I have to get back and do more modeling. More pictures later.

Thanks for stopping by.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 01:10 PM UTC
Wow Mark ! She is looking super so far

Very nice job on the rigging It can be easy to get carried away with rigging , done it myself ....your not alone
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 02:00 AM UTC
Thanks Terri:

It is coming along. It is also a big model, as I think the pictures indicate. So far it is a fun build, no major issues at all.

Best
Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So far it is a fun build

You sold me on this kit, Mark. I think I will move it up to # 3 on the build pile after my GB Albatros and the Gotha.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

It is a fun build and would recommend it. I have another one I am going to do like the one at the Hendon Museum. It has a neat history and is practically original.
Haven't made the plunge for a Gotha yet. I gave my wife a hint as she asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year, and I mentioned that. We shall see.

Best
Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Mark

A very beautiful build in the making Your new camera is certainly showing off all those nice details in a very clear and crisp way. I do feel a bit tempted to try this kit.

Looking forward to more

Best Regards

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We shall see.

I bet she will.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 11:33 AM UTC
Great work so far Mark. Though i always feel that British inline powered subjects always looked a bit like flying tractors, it does give them their own charm as well.

I like the look of Bobs Buckles, which is important for me because i will be trying them for the first time on the Gotha.

Andrew
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi Andrew: I read your comment on your Gotha build regarding the decision making process and time constraint, sounds like me.
I started using Bob's Buckles on this build. They are awfully tiny but with a little working I am getting the hang of them. I work with them over the white paper that he sends so i can see them. I also pre thread them before I super glue them in place. Saves me the hassle of trying to do it later. So far so good. I also make my own tie downs, a little out of scale, but easy for me to see and work with.
Best

Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 05:10 PM UTC
Okay folks:

A little more progress. I have the bottom wings cemented in place, and the top wings just sitting there. The LVG is to compare the size of the NINAK, yes it is a big plane.

More to come
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 05:21 PM UTC
Okay:

I cemented the upper wing center section on to the cabane struts to facilitate rigging. I test fitted the upper wings and there should be no problem. The LVG upper wing went on this way.
I used Fine EZ line for the rigging, and made my own attachments points out of brass wire. It is a little out of scale but easy to work with. To get the turnbuckle effect I wrap the EZ line on itself 2 to 3 times, super glue and call it good. I think the effect is satisfactory. Also the gun site is on, as are the other parts called out for in the instructions.

Here is the view from the front. I have the exhausts on at this stage.

Here is another view. I just have the rigging run through the attachment points on the wing at this time.

Here are the upper wing control horns. I used paint brush bristles for the rigging from the horn to the wing.

Here the upper wings are just sitting on the struts. I am begining to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. It is one impressive model, let me tell ya!

That's all for now, more as I progress.

Thanks for stopping by.

Best
Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Yes very nice Mark, she is coming along really well. I'm not a fan of the DH9 but watching your build it is tempting.

I like the idea of the rigging method used, I might well borrow it for the upper rigging points of the Rolie.

Keith
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 11:46 PM UTC
It does look very nice and it is quite a size isn't it.

I picked my box up at the weekend so this thread will be useful when I get round to starting mine.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
Mark , this is turning out to be your best build to date ! I really like the wood effect on the struts , very convicing . As Keith has said . Neat way of doing the rigging ! Looking forward to your next up-date

How do you transport this build back and forth between house with out any damage ?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks Keith, Gary and Terri:

Now that the wings are on the a/c, I don't model between the two domiciles. I got my model room in order so it is there that it stays.
I like the EZ line, a little fiddly, but once you get the hang of working with it, it is pretty EZ to use.

I should be posting more progress shots tonight. I am hoping to get it finished by the weekend for the model meeting this Saturday.

Thanks for stopping by.

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
It looks fantastic. I think you have also taken your photography skills up a notch. That pic of the Ninak and the LVG is a real eye opener for size.

Is there a verdict on the Gotha yet? I bet Mrs. Gunns already has one ordered for you.

btw, it is supposed to hit 70 here tomorrow. I can hear the links beckoning. But my back isn't healed yet, so I suppose I will get some models built in the next month or two.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks Carl:

It is that new camera. It takes great macro shots, and is about 1/4 the size of the other one that for some reason decided it needed a memory card.
No word from the Mrs. at this point in time. She mentioned the other day that I had enough models. Hogwash I said, I know guys that have or 4,000 in their collections. She scoffed me to scorn.
We have been in the 40's here and it is sure nice to get out and not have to bundle up; and to see the snow pack melt a little bit. Take care of that back.

L8R

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC

Great work Mark! The roundels look painted on. Love the Ninak!

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

She mentioned the other day that I had enough models. Hogwash I said, I know guys that have or 4,000 in their collections. She scoffed me to scorn.
Mark

If you do a search on "How many kits do you have in your stash" I think you will run across a few who do have 4000 kits. Great cure for scorn. Another way is to hide what you do have and tell her you built them all.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Mark! The roundels look painted on. Love the Ninak! Mark

Hi Mark:

I used Solvaset sparingly on the decals. I put a couple of coats of Future on the wings with a Q-tip, brushing in the direction of flight, Let it set up, then applied the decals using Solvaset very sparingly and carefully. It does settle down nicely, and the plus side, is...after it's dullcoated, it looks like the finish has brush marks!

Thanks

Mark
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you do a search on "How many kits do you have in your stash" I think you will run across a few who do have 4000 kits. Great cure for scorn. Another way is to hide what you do have and tell her you built them all.

I personally know people in the club who have at least 4000, and brag about it. She has seen me greatly whittle my stash down over the past three years, and now this weekend I hope to whittle it down more. Stuff I will never ever build.
Back to modeling

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

A mighty fine build – one of your finest for sure I did'nt realise just how big this plane is – I have the LVG on the shelf, and I thoght that took up a lot of shelfspace!

I do like your rigging approach – the "twisted" strands, do look like the real thing, and looks better in scale than the brass tube to my eye.

Looking forward to the continuation

My Best Regards

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:54 PM UTC
That rigging is nice. It looks like the rigging I did on my LVG, except I used the PE Turnbuckles and end connecters with stretch nylon, The advantage with the stretch stuff is that you can put some tension on it an it wont sag. The disadvantage is that the very end always has a little nub sticking up.

400 kits. If he built one kit every day, it would take him around 11 years to build them all. Hope he passes on the love ov model building to his grandkids.

Time for me to go work on my build. 75 degrees projected for today. My neighbor has already been out on the links. boo

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did'nt realise just how big this plane is – I have the LVG on the shelf, and I thoght that took up a lot of shelfspace! I do like your rigging approach – the "twisted" strands, do look like the real thing, and looks better in scale than the brass tube to my eye.

Hi MIkael:

It's a crap shoot on the rigging. I like the brass tube turnbuckle look as well, I like this as it is easier to work with. It is coming along nicely.
Thanks for stopping by and the compliments.

Best

Mark