Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal: Support Aircraft
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've named it Support Aircraft, straight to point it is, and I've submitted it. Thanks to everyone who has shown interest so far.

By the way I just realized we missed Search & Rescue, a very important support service.

That's good news-- this campaign is going to go (pending approval)!
I had to go back and check the Model Shipwright's "Search & Rescue" group build here ending December 31st, and although they include helicopters and floatplanes, it's definitely maritime-themed. We're good to include S&R in this.
-Sean.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
Great campaign idea, I'm in tentatively.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 08:46 PM UTC
So, while we're waiting on the submission going through has anyone any preliminary thoughts on what they might model?

This is what I'm interested in: Tanker.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC
Thought I might go with either the CA Supermarine Walrus or the Italeri C-119 Boxcar. They are both biting me right now, however, things may change, considering the extended startup date.

I have to build what I feel like building at the time, and cannot force it. A couple of other campaigns I've entered are suffering because of this phenomenon. Its why I don't enlist in plane or battle specific campaigns anymore.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thought I might go with either the CA Supermarine Walrus or the Italeri C-119 Boxcar. They are both biting me right now, however, things may change, considering the extended startup date.

I have to build what I feel like building at the time, and cannot force it. A couple of other campaigns I've entered are suffering because of this phenomenon. Its why I don't enlist in plane or battle specific campaigns anymore.

Guy, that's the best way. I've done the other way before, where my heart is no longer in a build, and it doesn't get the final details it normally should. I'm a chronic over-planner, and I need to do what you're saying and save some of that creativity for closer to campaign start.
Several of my upcoming campaigns, including this one, are open to change. I have some though, like Midway next month, that are nailed down and kits bought, just waiting for the starting date.
I'm sure you've read that several of us are putting together an EAA campaign that starts on the first day of the annual fly-in, and my plan is to go out there and find an actual subject at Oshkosh this year, then proceed to build it.
For this one, I love Alcatraz's idea-- that tanker is cool and the price is great, but I'm not committing to anything yet!
-Sean.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:15 AM UTC
I think I'm having the same problem with campaigns, researching months in advance and perhaps taxing my interest before the campaign has even begun.

That and also participating in to many campaigns at once which is taxing in another way. Next year I may try and participate in one campaign at a time but we'll see how that pans out.

Anyway, a Boxcar would be pretty nice but you're right to build what you feel like closer to the start date. One of the benefits of having a stash I guess is plenty of choice.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:15 AM UTC
That's the other side of it-- coming back to a kit you bought a long time ago and forgot! It's like a surprise for yourself.
-Sean.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:23 AM UTC
Between my stash & some new stuff available next year (??), quite sure this campaign theme will push me to build something out of the box, at least out of my ordinary modelling favourites... Being honest, Vertigo, the med-vac is tempting with soooo many choices!!

Cheers
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 09:08 AM UTC
Campaign Approved

The start date will be 1st March 2012 and will end 31st August 2012

Go here to enlist
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 12:52 PM UTC
Now you have to come up with a really cool ribbon, Vertigo. Skulls or naked women always seem to work, although I'm not sure they fit in with 'Support Aircraft'.
Your going to have to give this one some thought.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 09:12 PM UTC
I'll see what I can come up with. In the meantime, has anyone any ideas?
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 02:22 PM UTC
I'm no artist; just throwing out an idea. I was trying to imagine what a silhouette of an in-flight stork carrying a package might look like as banner material. Or maybe just a silhouette of an obvious cargo plane.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thought I'd give this a little bump. I see a few more people have signed up which is great.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi!

I have just enlisted! This campaign is a great idea.

I am not sure at the moment what to build:

1:32 Revell Piper Cub in Luftwaffe markings?
1:72 Revell An-2 in NVA/LSK markings?
1:72 Huma Do-27 in Heeresfieger markings?
1:72 Revell Do-28 in Luftwaffe markings?
1:144 Revell C-121 USAF MATS?

What should I decide for?

Servus,

Sebastian
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 06:19 AM UTC
Can't believe I missed your post Sebastian; anyway, I think the Do-28 would make for a pretty interesting build.

I've been thinking of a Shorts Skyvan for myself and I'm very close to getting one.

It's nice to see a small group of enlistee's and hopefully we can grow that list some more. Has anyone any ideas towards a ribbon? I'm capable enough to make a banner but a small ribbon is beyond me I'm afraid.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
I Guess I'll take the plunge. Now I just have to decide between the following kits.....

1/144 A-50 Mainstay
1/72 MC-130P Combat Shadow
1/48 C-2 Greyhound
1/72 MC-130H Combat Talon II
1/72 MC-130J Combat Shadow II
or
1/144 Ilyushin IL-76

I'll let the group consensus decide my path.

Herky
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 08:38 AM UTC
I have to say you provide some hard choices there, they're all extremely interesting aircraft.

If pushed I'd choose the C-2 Greyhound, that wouldn't be the new Kinetic kit would it?

As for myself, I picked something up at my modeling clubs national competition; a Revell Do 28D2 Skyservant. It should make for an interesting build.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC
It will be the Kinetic one when it does come out and I order it. Probably from Lucky Model.

Herky
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC
I believe Lucky Model has it in stock and available for order now and with a full interior it sounds like it'll be a great kit.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 02:31 AM UTC
I think that I will build the He111z-1 from Italaerei or their tante Ju, or some sea plane.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC
Well first of all let me say I'm happy to have you and everyone else who enlisted along for the ride. I've never run a campaign before and it's nice to see people are interested.

Now, the He 111z-1 was used for towing gliders I think, could you clarify? My knowledge of WWII German planes isn't great.
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi... Nice Idea...!

I will "Support" this "Arcraft Campagn" whit some of my Support Aircraft, which now are "slipping" on my stash...

And march 2012 is a god start point for an slow motion builder like me...!

Thanks....
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC
Glad to have you along.

I know what you mean about being a slow builder, I like to take my time with a build. I definitely wouldn't win any speed records.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
I have a few ideas for builds (all 1/48).

- B-29 used for launching the early X-planes. But I am not sure the campaign would run long enough for me to finish this one, as there would be lots of rescribing and some body modifications involved.

- T-37: this one I really want to do, esp one from Vance AFB in the late 60s (my father learned to fly jets in these, and I was named after that AFB, having been concieved there), but again, I may not have enough time for the conversion from an A-37 kit (there are significant differances in the shape of the lower fuselage because of the different engines used, plus rescribing panel lines).

- Aero L-39 Albatros (Czech trainer). Fair chance I'll actually go with this one if the agressor TA-4J (below) is disallowed.

- SR-71

- F-6 (photo recon P-51)

- Spitfire Mk XI (photo recon)

- TA-4J: Probably in aggressor markings, if that is allowable.

Now there is a question about the campaign: Would, for example, an F-5E in agressor or top gun markings be admissable to this campaign? Are aircraft used for dissimilar tactics training considered to be in a support roll, or only the ones that were already designed specifically as trainers (such as the TA-4) before becoming agressors valid entries?

barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 136 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC
would one be allowed to use a uh-60l blackhawk that i am using for my sniper campaign? 1/35 scale and in flight after resupllying and dropping off reinforcmens for the recon team