_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Pfalz D.IIIa - MGunns
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 01:06 AM UTC
Very nice progress Mark – Carl Degelows stag is a very handsome marking option!

Looking forward to next installment.

Have a great vacation!

Mikael
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:14 PM UTC
Great looking build but the comment about don't have much to do sounds like 80% done, 80% to do. Like your decision to reduce the cowl, I think it changes the whole appearance of the aircraft, looks meaner.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hello Mark ,

What can say , but nicely done so far ! You have come along way since your first build with your skills . Really makes me smile to see you working on a Pfalz D.IIIa . Enjoy your holiday and look forward to the final stages on your build

Terri
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Incredible work on that engine!! Interior looks awesome as well.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 03:03 PM UTC
Thanks Mike: I amaze myself with this stuff. It was a brain storm and so easy. I also attribute it to the tips from the good people here and other forums.

Thanks Terri: This forum has been a truly inspirational forum, and thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Best

Mark

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 05:56 PM UTC
Greetngs all:

We got back into Wisconsin this evening and were greeted by a nice wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow after coming from California with nice sunny days and no snow. What a depressing event. However, I will be at the bench soon and posting pictures of progress and the usual running commentary.

Thanks
Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 03:22 AM UTC
[quote]Greetngs all:

We got back into Wisconsin this evening and were greeted by a nice wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow after coming from California with nice sunny days and no snow. What a depressing event. However, I will be at the bench soon and posting pictures of progress and the usual running commentary.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,
Welcome back to the joys of living "North". No break from Winter's woes is complete without the stark reality of the "homecoming"!
On the other hand I'm looking forward to your completion of this one; cut loose on the commentary.
Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 04:22 PM UTC
Okay folks:

I spent almost the entire day at the bench. Lots of pidly work but some progress worth showing:

The instructions in the Pheon sheet indicate that the maltese cross was painted over and the straight cross was applied over it. So, I went with the light grey green for both the upper and lower surfaces. On the upper surfaces it blends in pretty good with the lozenge, on the under surface it sticks out pretty good.

I am using the turbuckle tube and monofilament line on this one, let's see how it works.
The underside elevator control attachment:

And the rudder/elevator assembly. So far so good:

I have the landing gear attached and rigged at this point also:

I spent a great portion of the time, drilling holes, attaching eyelets and rigging the eyelets on the upper wing. That task is now complete. Next, put the eyelets on the lower wing, fix the struts, attach the top wing, rig and viola, finished. Maybe over the weekend.

Thanks for stopping by.

Best
Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 08:08 PM UTC
Looks like this will be quite a striking build Mark.

Those markings look just beautiful. Fantastic progress too.

Personal opinion woukd have me *fade* the lozenge a little but thats a purely personal taste. A really nice build and choice of markings.

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 12:45 AM UTC
– Welcome back from vacation Mark –  coming back into winter can be such a letdown...

Nice to see you progressing with the build. Looking good! Were the maltezer crosses on the Pheon decal sheet too?

Best Regards

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
Mark,
Very pretty indeed; really like the clean finish on the elevator control cables.

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hello Keith and Mikael:

It is coming along. I agree that the lozenge could use some toning down, After my problems with the other lozenge I really didn't want to fool with it and take any chances of ruining it. I will be experimenting with it as time goes on. I have some more of Doug Bauman's lozenge coming, and I will try some different films than what I used. I like his colors and texture. WNW says after much deliberation they settled on the colors that they include in their kits.
Mikael. I had to use the kit supplied maltese cross, (I can't ever remember the correct name) paint them light grey green and then use the Balkenkreutz supplied with the Pheon sheet. I do like the looks of the Pfalz, I can see why Terri really likes it.
Thanks for stopping by.
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 05:48 AM UTC
Stunning work! Tailskid and cable work is awesome.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:17 PM UTC
Greetings all:

Thanks Mike for the compliments about the tail skid. The Pfalz is finished:

And lastly these two guys had to get in for a quick photo op.

I really enjoyed this build. I used Bob's Buckles for the rigging turnbuckles, I used "invisible thread" that I bought at Minnesota Fabrics over 30 years ago, painted steel. The decals are Pheon Models Pfalz DIII sheet 32024 and went on nicely; the lozenge is the kit decals with an extra sheet ordered from WNW as the upper supplied in the kit is not intended for the upper wing. All in all a very enjoyable build, no major problems save for my own. I like the look of the Pfalz, I can see why Terri really likes this aircraft, very sleek and clean lines. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for stopping by, now on to the Roden Nieuport 24.

Best
Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:44 PM UTC

Great build Mark! I'm looking forward to your Nieuport.

Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:52 PM UTC
Mark,
Congratulations on finishing a very nice Build. The colour scheme is striking and the quality of the work remarkable. You've got a real beauty there!
Cheers,
Lance

P.S. Just in case you were looking for sympathy for your age I have a roll of "Ardee Invisible Thread" that I recall buying to rig an Airfix Albatros DV in 1967 or 68. Come to think of it I finished it in Goring's black and white scheme much similar to Degelows layout. Just wanted you to know you're not the only "relic" hereabouts!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:03 AM UTC
Congratulations on finishing Mark – She is looking mighty fine I have this one in the stash – so I'll tag this build for the future.... Thinking about AM decals too – I like the flying dagger version from the same Jasta as Degelow.

Best Regards

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 03:22 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the compliments and Lance for not making me feel too old. I appreciate the comments and each of you for sharing your work of which I have learned a lot.

Best wishes to you all

Mark
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 01:15 PM UTC
An absolutely lovely job on the Pfalz, Mark. I find myself studying your prop and rigging for inspiration.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC
Just adding my 2 cents Mark, nicely done. The only thing I would suggest is at some point appying edge tapes on the wings. Also don't forget to add your build images to the "Gallery". I look forward to your build of the Nieuport 24. I have already started to gather some ideas for "extra goodies " to add for my build of the Roden 1;32 type "24", "24 bis" and the up coming "27".
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hello Stephen and thanksk for the tip on the edge tapes. I will try that on the next build I use lozenge on or may go back and apply them. As to the 24........hmmmmmmmmm, I think WNW has spoiled me. It is a rough kit, not sure I want to spend the time on it right now, I have started it, but put it away to ponder. Not sure what's next.
Thanks again, I did post the photos in the gallery section.

Best
Mark
edgardo
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 06:58 AM UTC
Very nice model, well done. I am building a Degelow´s Pfalz too, but the version of the Jasta 7.
I didn´t know of this version of the Jasta 40 with the Lozenge,do you have any photo?
Thanks a lot.
Regards.
 _GOTOTOP