_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The Homecoming
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 - 11:44 PM UTC
The evolving storyline of "The Homecoming" diorama is changing again as follows.The returning airman is now the son of Joseph Sr. and the car parts business is really his ,it was his returning son who was building the backyard flyer prior to going to war.Why the change? because it is my plan now to show a thriving auto and aero parts business.Rather than a junkyard it will now become a used parts yard with items in various stages of disrepair.
Before getting into the new auto and aero business the old man Reid was a carpenter who was helping his son build a flyer . Before the car parts business and the work on the airplane he was repairing the wood components on cars.(another story the kids don't know today is that a lot of cars contained lots of wood components.) which itself has evolved from his earlier years as a carpenter for hire.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC

Here is a little something that I picked up the other day which would look really cool in one of the windows of the dioramas brick facade.Luckily it works out to be approximately a 1/48 model in 1/16th scale.This would be about right for a model built before the advent of kits.I could be made of wood with linen sails or it could be made from bone like a old prisoner of war type model, which would of course be ivory in color to which I could add linen colored sails. It could also be an admiralty style model with no sails at all.
A creative diorama maker is always looking for that unexpected wow factor for the viewer and I think that this could be it.It will be placed in such a way in the diorama that only those who look very carefully will see it.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 11:49 PM UTC

Kids today don't often associate wood parts with cars,so this will be another dimension to the story.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 12:06 AM UTC

The ship in the window will look something like this except mine will have sails.I guess the old grandfather was a ship's carpenter at one time in his youth.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
Please see The Homecoming -A Storyboard Diorama.A title that better explains what this stuff is about.
 _GOTOTOP