_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: British Aerospace Campaign Thread
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 08:42 PM UTC
Welcome to the BAe British Aerospace Campaign campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 11:40 PM UTC
So here's my Hawk triple build with a selection of the aftermarket I'll be using...

Must confess I was surprised by how big the Hawk is in 1/32
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi All,

I'll be doing the 48 scale Airfix Hawk Hawk 100 {in the RAAF option 'B'} and the 48 scale Hobby Boss Tornado {in the Desert 'Pink' scheme}, waiting on some AM seats for both kits.

The 76 Sqn RAAF demonstration scheme.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
I'm in with a Harrier GR7A/9A from the Airfix kit.

Airfix BAe Harrier GR7A/GR9A 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'm doing the first option for an Operation Herrick bird with the unusual 2-tone uppers, IIRC it's a GR7A.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
Enlisted!

Airfix 1:72 Hawks seem to be a popular choice. I got one as well:

I already got Eduard canopy masks and Kuivalainen PE set (made by Eduard) for it. I think might invest in a resin exhaust nozzle and a brass pitot tube as well.
I'll be building it in Finnish Air Force livery. I hope it'll get company when the campaign gets going.

With the Fw 190 campaign going on till the end of this month, I'll have to make finishing my entry for it my top priority. I'll start my Hawk when I'm done with my Würger.

SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi everyone,i am going to join this campaign with a 1/48 Hawk and a 1/72 EF typhoon,ill post some pictures in the next few days.

Kind regards,Sven.
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 08:22 PM UTC
Hi folks,

And another Hawk joining in (Italeri 1/48).

Having quite a celebration‘s year in UK with Queen‘s jubilee and Olympics, the Red Arrows livery seems appropriate to me...

Cheers
Matt
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 06:20 AM UTC
Ok,so this is my first official entry,i will enter another model if this one will be finished in time.
Today my mom picked up this model from a local on-line model shop.

I have ordered some extras from Modelhobbies:

I also have a spare vacuform canopy and canopy masks.
I am not sure about which one should i make,i think ill do of the options from the box,because i dont want to buy a whole set with 4-5 options while i only need one. (does someone maybe want to buy a sheet 50/50 ?)

Kind regards,Sven.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 06:40 AM UTC
It seems that Hawks are the popular kit for this campain
In my typical nonconformist way, I'm bucking the trend with my Airfix A-300. Here's a peek inside the box.

I'm going to replace the kit decal with Hawkeye Models' Air Niugini "Bird of Paradise" sheet.

That fuselage decal is going to need some careful trimming around the wings, since I won't be able to leave them off.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 09:07 AM UTC
This will be my entry:

Cheers Rob.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 11:06 AM UTC
The Hawkeye sheet comes with window decals, plus the Airfix kit has them in the wrong place, so they need to be filled. For this build I'm using the "Miliput rope" trick.

Step one: Roll a rope of Miliput and apply it to the inside of the fuselage. I used several lengths to conform to the strips of window openings, not one unwieldy full-length rope.

Step two: Push the Miliput out of the window openings like thick toothpaste to ensure you fill the openings completely.

Step three: Trim the excess flush with the fuselage surface.

Step four: Smooth everything down with a wet fingertip.

Now the incorrect window openings can hardly be seen.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC
Correcting the other error Airfix gave the A-300 is a little more difficult. The airconditioning intakes so prominent on the lower fuselage just aren't there, so they need to be added from somewhere. There's a nice set in Revell's Beluga, but I have absolutely no desire to ruin a kit just for a pair of intakes, so I'll copy the ones on my WIP Beluga instead.

How to make intakes
Ingredients:
One Revell Beluga
Olive oil (mould release agent)
Modelling clay (Quick and dirty mould)
Casting resin

First, oil your Beluga

Make smash-mould impressions of the intakes, and oil them

Pour in the casting resin

Unmould your freshly copied intakes

They'll need trimming, cleaning and puttying once they're in place, but they'll be 100% better than nothing at all, which is what the kit gives you.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 02:56 PM UTC
Well, I've got the rear fuselage together, next I'll mate the wing & rear fuselage and then finally get started on the cockpit.

This one's going to need some filler, there's some rather noticeable gaps on the wings.

Airfix BAe Harrier GR7A/GR9A 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
fireresq1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi all i am yet to submit my entry to this campaign,but I will get on to it as soon as i am home.I work two weeks away in my line of work, with two weeks off so rest assured I will post my entry soon.
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC

Jessica
Brilliant! That is a great choice for the Airbus A-300. I really like to color of the Air Niugina scheme. Cool! I attended a a local model contest yesterday, and someone entered an Airfix A-300 and it was finished really well. The Airfix kit looks great.

Like yourself, I tend to go a different route or scheme when doing a group build. However, for this one I think I'll be in with the crowd as I have been wanting to do a Hawk for some time but never seem to get around to it. With 4 or 5 in my stash I thought this build would be a great way to break the ice on a Hawk build. I'll be starting my build soon....

Have fun modeling!
Mike

Quoted Text

It seems that Hawks are the popular kit for this campain
In my typical nonconformist way, I'm bucking the trend with my Airfix A-300.

I'm going to replace the kit decal with Hawkeye Models' Air Niugini "Bird of Paradise" sheet.

hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
Could not resist entering this campaign because I have a Harrier GR3 in the stash that I picked up at a bargain price. the box is a little beat up but I opened it up and all the parts are there so it looks like I've got me a a strong entry for this one! http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p618/hannover67/?action=view¤t=001.jpg
just click on the link and the pic of my entry will come up. either that or you could just read from this description that my entry is a 1:72 scale Harrier GR.3 from Italeri.
p.s
I only put up the link because I cannot work out how to put pictures in with my posts because I am rubbish when it comes to computers
Hawkeye65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Gang, This is my first Group Build. I am getting back into modelling after a nearly 30-year hiatus, so bear with me! I am going to build an RAAF Hawk 128 Lead-in Fighter trainer (the inaccurate Revell kit - but I might try and pick up an Aifrix 1/72 Hawk somewhere) and a Harrier GR-3 (Hasegawa) in Falklands livery to go with my almost completed Sea Harrier FRS1 (Airfix). Unfortunately the Sea Harrier has been on the go since January, so not eligible for this GB.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Simon! Welcome to Aeroscale and to the BAE campaign Here's a little tutorial that's just right for you.

Making it even more simple since you already know how to get the links to your pictures, just click on the little IMG button at the bottom of the window you write your posts in. It will give you something that looks similar to this: {img}http://put.url.here/image.file{/img} except that the brackets will be square. Just paste your picture's URL inside the tags and the picture will show up in your post
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 04:10 AM UTC
"Unfortunately the Sea Harrier has been on the go since January, so not eligible for this GB".
Hi Harry
You can enter the Harrier in the "Hanger Queen" campaign!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 05:40 PM UTC
The first coats of primer are on, showing me where I need to do more filling.
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi all,
Just got on with it and started my Red Arrows build with some priming and throwing on the first paint layers.

Being in „Hawk mode and mood“ now, I unwrapped another Hawk kit. It‘s supposed to get an Australian livery...

Cheers
Matt
hannover67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 09:49 PM UTC
Sorry for long absence from this campaign thread but I've been working on some other campaigns recently so I have a lot on the workbench at the moment so here is the pic of the kit that I will be completing for this campaign

Hawkeye65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC
Since my Airfix Sea Harrier is almost finished, I thought I might add a Hasegawa Sea Harrier alongside the GR.3 and Hawk128 for this build. It will be interesting to compare the two Sea Harriers - the Airfix kit is overly complex and fiddly to build, but looks great. The instructions for the Hasegawa Sea Harrier look much more straightforward to build.
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC
Methinks it is time for me to get started on this campaign! I usually try to pick an unusual subject in a campaign or group build, but I have been wanting to build a Hawk for some time. This campaign is a great motivation to jump in and just build one! I am going to tackle the 1/72 Revell (ex-Italeri kit) instead of the currently popular Airfix version. I plan on finishing it in the all black St Athan Station Flight Dragon markings. I could not resist these markings as it is the Year of the Dragon and my old school's logo is a Dragon. Here's what I am starting out with:

I will also use an old Airways PE set that I have stashed somehere in a storage bin. This will be a slow build for me as I have several other kits that are much farther along that I would like to get off my bench. I'll work on the Hawk as a break from my other builds but I'll likley accelerate the progress as the summer goes along (and as I get into building the Hawk!).
Have fun modeling!
Mike
fireresq1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 11:56 PM UTC
Here is my entry to the campaign.Iam going to build this Tornado F3.Should be a fun build as i havent built one in a long time.

_GOTOTOP