General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
More feedback needed...
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There is a treasure of reviews on this site, but the individual items are not in anyway clustered around their subject, why not grouping everything related to a specific model (news item, review, built review, aftermarket stuff...)

We have begun to do that. In our newest reviews (published within the last few months) you should find links to related articles published previously. It's a little clumsy for us since we have to add those links in manually, but it's a start.

Yes, we do, but to be honest this is kind of prothesis. Anyway, but proper sorting reviews by scales, titles, producers etc you can find items of any topic nicely lined up.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi folks,
I haven't made this public until now, but there are some serious upgrades in the works for the features area (and subsequently news, reviews, and the homepage). This is still a work-in-progress, but the new features area will start off looking like this: CLICK

If you want to see a 'like' function just click on one of the features that has a camera icon next to it. Also try scrolling to the bottom of the main listing pages and you'll see what' primarily different about this setup.

What is not ready yet?
- Inline commenting and replies (and 'like' for comments).
- Text feature pages not changed yet (only photo features and videos).
- Other filter options for finding features

Cheers,
Jim
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
I just want to reiterate that I am grateful that Aeroscale exists at all. I know there are other sites, but this one seems the best to me. Thanks to Jim and Rowan and all of the editors old and new that put in the hours to make this site what it is. A forum for aviation history lovers who enjoy building models of some of their favorite machines!! Thanks again. Russell
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi folks,
I haven't made this public until now, but there are some serious upgrades in the works for the features area (and subsequently news, reviews, and the homepage). This is still a work-in-progress, but the new features area will start off looking like this: CLICK

If you want to see a 'like' function just click on one of the features that has a camera icon next to it. Also try scrolling to the bottom of the main listing pages and you'll see what' primarily different about this setup.

What is not ready yet?
- Inline commenting and replies (and 'like' for comments).
- Text feature pages not changed yet (only photo features and videos).
- Other filter options for finding features

Cheers,
Jim

Great, this looks like a vast improvement!

Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 04:50 AM UTC
I would just like to comment that I have no comment . But seriously, I am not primarily an aircraft modeler so am ignorant of such things and therefore unable to give valid criticism on other modelers builds. However, I do build an occasional aircraft and constantly need help and additional information; I have found Jessica and others very helpful and quick with responses. I have also easily found other pertinent information and techniques on this site. My only negative criticism of the Kit Maker Network is the process of being able to post images. I'm a little computer dyslexic and got totally lost in the process and finally gave up trying. This also applies to Armorama and Historicus Forma. Other than that this is my favorite modelling network and return here daily for information and news/reviews/criticisms of new releases.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .3. Sometimes, kits are offered for review (but only to people living in the US). OK, I understand that postage costs have to be kept low but it does create a negative impression. . ."

Greetings,
I have made sizable personal expendatures to get kits into the hands of people that will build them. If I get a commitment from someone to do a build I send the sample kit to them. I believe that Merlin has too. Check out the contributors forum and then let me know if you want to build something.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check out the contributors forum and then let me know if you want to build something.

I know this thread is dated, but.....

Seems the only way one can check out the contributors forum is if you are staff, a contributor or a content provider, which I would think most forum watchers are not. There must be something evil in there that's not to be seen by the population.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems the only way one can check out the contributors forum is if you are staff, a contributor or a content provider, which I would think most forum watchers are not. There must be something evil in there that's not to be seen by the population.

Yes, terribly evil. It's so evil that we have to protect you from it. It's a terrible, dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Actually all that's in there are some announcements about upcoming sample kits coming available for reviews and some threads which coordinate when they will get published.

If you want to become evil enough to see what's inside the Contributors' forum, just write us an article. Join the Dark Side; we have cookies.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Check out the contributors forum and then let me know if you want to build something.

I know this thread is dated, but.....

If yuo really want to know, in the contributors forum we discuss how we will invest the buckets of money we earn by writing an article or review from time to time for Aeroscale. Of course, we want to prevent that other forum members become aware of our fortune and claim their rightful share by writing a few reviews themselves

But don't let this stop you, write a review, join the contributors forum and count your profit

Ow, in case you would not have guessed already, there is no financial gain to be made from contributing. But all contributions together make for a good site to the benefit (although not financially) of everyone.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies.

OK, your on! I'm gonna get me some of those cookies.

As a matter of fact, there's a large package waiting for me at the post office containing some little items folks might just be interested in learning something about. Not going to give it away, yet; patience being a necessary virtue in the modelling emporium. Just have to wait and see if I can do something intelligent, without flubbing it.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 03:57 PM UTC
Just study how we've written other reviews. You can see that there are a few different styles out there. I like to break the subject down to the various subassemblies (fuselage, wings, engines, etc) and others tell more of a story. Pick a style you like, copy/paste the review into your word processor, and then replace the text with your own.

A new serial number, fresh coat of paint and you've had it for years, you can swear it! (see how quickly the evil begins to happen?)
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

cookies, cookies...! i wasn't told about cookies !
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 10:45 PM UTC

..missed this thread the first time around - I still haven't found that 'LIKE' button yet either.

I always try to comment - especially where a build catches my eye - so its good to know that a simple 'well done, great work' is actively encouraged
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
I have just read through this thread, and was blissfully unaware that this was a WW1 site, I have spent most of my time here building the wrong thing! Seriously, the recent improvements have seemed to make the site more stable and a little faster. The gallery has improved a lot since I first joined, but if you find it difficult Photobucket will work just as well. I tend to read mainly the threads in which I am building as time is limited and building gets a higher priority than Aeroscale, however I value the comments and tips, even when I don't follow them. Similarly, I have been modelling a long time and done a fair bit of scratch building (mainly ships) so often can see answers to problems myself, but I have picked up so many tips from members to enable me to move into new techniques and subjects. Probably the most valuable part of the site is the group builds and campaigns and encouraging people, particularly newbies, to show their efforts, and get suggestions and tips (although in my experience if you ask 10 modellers for their tips on a modelling problem you will get 10 answers). I love the site and it's awesome modellers, but some people just need to know that there are ordinary mortals out there who can make mistakes, but still be happy to show their humble efforts.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:32 AM UTC
I never knew this was a wwi site either...

I will say that this is the only site for modelling I frequent. I lurk stormo occasionally but that's a very niche one.

My constructive feedback is this:

The forums shouldn't be organized by chronological era. Or like armorama, by bloc. It should be categories like "history, reference, user reviews, build logs, scratch building, painting and weathering, and miscellaneous technique." and then campaigns etc.

Obviously that's a pain to do because you have to sift old threads into the new system. But it would keep people from pigeonholing themselves by only clicking on the era they're most inclined toward.

I just think that would make it more of a modelling site and less of an "I'm an anorak for such and such era in aviation history" site.

Those would be my two pennies.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
Oh, and on the subject of KotS, I did both previous builds with a Nieuport 16 and a Polikarpov I-15, WW1 is not a pre-requisite. In KotS11 six out of sixteen completed builds were post WW1, but most pre-1934 kits are WW1, good Twenties and early Thirties kits are rare and pre 1914 subjects even rarer, come on Eduard, what about a Hawker Fury or Hind or DH88 in 1/48.
Mecenas
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 09:28 AM UTC
OK, since we talk about feedback here's another question to you: what should a perfect "News report" contain? What level of details should it have or what kind of information?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But they're not you usual run of the mill cookies...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-UDsAJtt72hbbtJ/despicable_me_2010_the_cookie_robots/
markchis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:23 PM UTC
Im build more armour than aircraft and the kitmaker page was set to show me latest Armorama posts - I have changed that to include all forums now.

I will certainly try and drop in more frequently and more importantly contribute to the forum.

best
Mark
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-UDsAJtt72hbbtJ/despicable_me_2010_the_cookie_robots/

ahhh i see..... time to scratch build a cookie robot.....
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

ahhh i see..... time to scratch build a cookie robot.....

unless you want to build the first version?

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC
Humm, just noticed this topic today and this clearly means something, in my opinion...means there is alot of activity going on this forum and also that i don't visit as often as i should

Also, why not make the upload of pictures far more friendly? I would very much like to upload pictures taken straight up from my iPad, just like i do in other websites.

As for aeroscale being a WWI SIG forum, not my opinion at all. I see all kind of planes showned here, covering all eras and conflicts.
But i have to admite that seeing so many exceptional work of that era, urged me to give it a try with a WGN Fokker...so thanks Aeroscale!
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
I just stumbled onto this topic as well, I realize it's been running for a while and lots of comments and suggestions have been forwarded. That being said, here’s my two-cents,
1) I agree loading images is far too cumbersome. Fix it.
2) Given that we're not all professional photographers, image quality will vary. So critiques of built kits are going to be somewhat subjective; my build might look better (or worse) in person. Therefore, comments such as “wow”, “looks great” and so on are valid. If no one comments on a build, perhaps it's an indication of the community's opinion of the build.
3) The staff should refrain from making authoritarian statements. For example, if it is your opinion Brand-X is better than Brand-Y, state that it is so. Don't pontificate from on high, as sometimes happens on this and all other modeling forums.
4) This particular community is diverse and far from caters to one genre.
5) This is a strange art form, part engineering, and part historical. And like all artists, modelers are emotionally invested in their work. Arguments are bound to happen. Let them happen.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:19 PM UTC
I have one single suggestion that probably could increase posting and activity: make the "Subscribe"-option default "on" to make sure that anyone who has written in a thread gets a notification when another post is added. This makes people come back and breathe a bit more life into the discussion.

We have this setting (or rather, it is optional for the individual user if it should be default "on") at the IPMS Stockholm forums and I like it.

Argument AGAINST this is that it generates email for the users but I (who am one of the more prolific posters over at IPMS Stockholm and consequently gets quite a lot of it...) don't find it especially disturbing. If nothing else, I have a well functioning delete-button in my Gmail...

On the subject of the above, what's the difference between "Follow Topic" and "subscribe"? I haven't been able to figure it out!

Any takers? Worth trying?

Magnus
Mecenas
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On the subject of the above, what's the difference between "Follow Topic" and "subscribe"? I haven't been able to figure it out!

"Subscribe" gives you an email notification about new post while "follow" is a filter while browsing forum which automatically displays only the "followed" topics from all "sub forums" or even whole Kitmaker group.