General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
ipms judging slighted?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When you are competing, and there are only 3 awards to be given out and you don't get one for your masterpiece, you may not have he self awareness to realize there was simply better work on the table that day. Therefore,judging was incompetent or biased. As long as we have events where my product will be judged against yours or a standard, there's a likelihood that someone will get their paints all in a bunch if they don't win. There will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth on the aftermath.

That's to be expected, and it happens. But what also happens time and time and time again, clearly repeated over many different clubs is that the local club members win far too often for purely random chance. This is evidence of systematic bias, evidence which I've seen during the 30 years I've been observing contests.
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 06:34 AM UTC
I am surprised by some of the comments. I can see that bias is something which is nearly unavoidable. If you are a member of a club and you enter the comp. you are amongst fellow members, of course some bias will appear. I don't belong to a club, (kitmaker is my club)I entered a comp. in Scotland for the 1st time this year. I was welcomed by the host club, and they let me display my models on their tables. In the comp. I won 1st and 3rd in the diorama section in which members had models entered, and won 3rd in figures. I was amazed by the comments for my 1st award, and it just missed out on best in show, which was won by a club member from another club not the host club. Maybe it was a one off,or maybe the club is very fair, but I will continue to take my stuff along to the comps.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another way would be to democratize the process...

People's choice rewards WOW factor, not excellence.

Although I support a Peoples' Choice award at shows, I'm with Al 100% on this when it comes to "serious" judging. I am not a fan of The Tyranny of the Masses; it's bad enough having one's work judged by somebody unfamiliar with the subject although at least they know what to look for on a model. We shouldn't have our work judged by people who think pine cone owls are the height of arts and crafts. (No offense to pine cone owl enthusiasts.)

I think I know where the IPMS show defenders are coming from when they remark about those who think judging is unfair are newbies. Yet I believe that the complaints here are predominately from experienced modelers.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am surprised by some of the comments. I can see that bias is something which is nearly unavoidable. If you are a member of a club and you enter the comp. you are amongst fellow members, of course some bias will appear. I don't belong to a club, (kitmaker is my club)I entered a comp. in Scotland for the 1st time this year. I was welcomed by the host club, and they let me display my models on their tables. In the comp. I won 1st and 3rd in the diorama section in which members had models entered, and won 3rd in figures. I was amazed by the comments for my 1st award, and it just missed out on best in show, which was won by a club member from another club not the host club. Maybe it was a one off,or maybe the club is very fair, but I will continue to take my stuff along to the comps.

Your experience is far more the rule than the exception in my experience at contests since 1979.

Think about it for a second. If a club routinely undeservedly gives the lion's share of awards to its members , who, besides club members is going to return on a consistent basis?

A club's contest is its "business." If you routinely treat your customers, the public entering your contest, how long do you think you will remain in business. If I go to a restaurant once and have bad service, I might return. Bad service a second time and I won't be back. I suspect we're all like that in all our dealings. many of these contests have been around for decades and continue to do well. Could that be because they are screwing over their customers or treating them fairly?

Yes, the gripes come up year after year. Do they come from the folks who attend numerous contests or from the disgruntled new comer whose model didn't get the accolades on the contest table it got on line. Since there always new people coming in who don't know what a judge is looking at in a model and who has read these discussions, you will have a person predisposed to look for unfairness and bias.

The people who win consistently at one contest will win consistently at the next contest because they've learned to build a high quality model.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...importation of guest judges who can remain totally impartial. The largest barrier to this is cost: experts are expensive.

I am cynical about that anyway based on what happened at the 1987 student art show at my alma mater. The faculty flew in a guest judge from across the country; the art was judged and awards placed (I even got one of mine as honorable mention. That created a controversy firestorm the night of the show when a friend mentioned a little secret, but my issue was doused by a controversy tsunami...). The department faculty and student poobahs held a ceremony, thanked the judge, saw him to the airport, and promptly rejudged the show because some student 'pets' were not selected! One of the pets - who did excellent at the show all the same - had the integrity to protest when she found out: she came in during the show, removed all of her work, replaced it with a letter of protest, and notified the guest judge what had been done. I don't think she ever thought much of me but I have great respect for her to this day!

Obviously, such shenanigans would be nary impossible at an open model show.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

People's choice rewards WOW factor, not excellence. We used to have that at our show many years ago...a big sailing ship with gaps you could drop a quarter through took the award.

Al... true but even I (who supports and is a member of the local IPMS Fresno group), have a serious issues with the *way* judging is done for IPMS competitions. For example; From what I understand of the rules if a model is attached to a base then judges cannot potentially see all of the underside of a model. However if it is not they can pickup the model and examine it from all angles. If a seam or error is detected on the not normally visible parts of the underside... bam! entry eliminated from potential medal award (assuming there are more than 3 entries without errors). I just find the whole system a bit odd. By that kind of standard a Shep Paine diorama might have been eliminated in favor of a diorama of a perfectly done Sherman tank sitting in a field with a tree next to it.

Probably why he led the way to bring a different methodology to assigning awards at shows or competitions.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,I agree 1-2-3 is less nearly ideal that G-S-B. On the IPMS/USA forums and at the 2004 Nationals in Phoenix, I made that abundantly clear. 1-2-3 routinely awards lesser quality builds and requires that some flaw be found to make the cut between 1 and 2. If there is only one poorly finished model, it will get first in this system since the club promised to provide awards to the top three models in every class in which there are entries. In G-S-B, no such promise is impled, but that's a different discussion.

Do I also agree with all of IPMS's rules. Hardly. In my mind, if a model is on a base, that should be considered. If there's a figure in a tank, he should be judged just as the stowage is in the overall scoring of a model.

Let's take your hypothetical model off the base and put it up against two equally well built models. All are classic Early Tamiya with motor holes in the bottom. All are equally well done from tracks to the tip of the antenna. All are contenders for first place. Am I not required to look how well the modeler dealt with the underside? One has filled the holes seamlessly, one has the holes filled but not blended, and one has not addressed the holes. My decision for 1-2-3 has just been made in that order.

Bottom line, if you enter an event with a 1-2-3, you pays your money an you takes your chances that there will be no more than 2 other models in any class you enter that on close examination, will be finished better and more completely than yours if you want an award.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC
Well at the local show this weekend, I over heard that the person who placed first in most of the aircraft categories is awarded that, because if he does not get it, he pouts and makes it bad for the club.

Even though the names are hidden from the judges, it did not stop the judges from mingling in the model room while models were being placed with other members.

If they want to attract more people to the hobby, they need to be more open and fair in the judging. As I said, I saw many build they look 100% better, even close up then the winners, but again the prizes went to the people wearing the IPMS tshirts and name tags 9 out of 10 times.

Based on what I saw, I will think twice before renewing my IPMS membership in the future. Half the time I don't get the magazine that is suppose to be part of the membership and there are not alot of other perks either. At least with AMPS I get discounts at specific vendors, and it seems they have a much better judging system as well.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
I'd just like to add that at a local but fairly large IPMS club show that I attend each year, the host club ask the visiting clubs for members to judge the comp. I have also found this at another IPMS local club show and this seems to work as you have two or more judges per category from different clubs.

On the figure side a recent trip to Euro Militaire which is a very large figure and military show (no or very few aircraft) and competition with visitors from all over Europe attending, the Judges have to display their own work in a separate cabinet. This way the judges work is judged by the visitors as to how qualified the judge is to too be judging others.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 10:30 AM UTC
Luciano, I really don't agree with the philosophy that one has to be a able to build to contest standards in order to have the knowledge/expertise to judge. One really has nothing to do with the other. It's like appreciating
gourmet cooking vs McDonalds.

Joel
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Luciano, I really don't agree with the philosophy that one has to be a able to build to contest standards in order to have the knowledge/expertise to judge. One really has nothing to do with the other. It's like appreciating

Joel

Joel at this show it's a case of in your words gourmet judging gourmet as there are no McDonalds/Burger King/Wimpy/other fast food outlet entries, even the junior entries put my work to shame. I walk along the tables looking at all the entries and there is no way I could judge this event without having a very good knowledge of painting techniques. I look at the figures and I'm just blown away at what's been done so without a knowledge of the techniques I'd find it very hard to judge this show.
So to see that the judges can talk the talk as well as walk the walk I feel is important, but I'll concede that it does not work for all shows.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC
I'll add in a little of my 2 cents (or p, or Euro....etc).

As I don't attend IPMS competitions--I'm only competing against myself in my builds--I'm not sure if this is already being done but, why not make it so that judges have to annotate what has disqualified a model, or why it placed where it did? If the flaws are there, then that's the end of it; if it's apparent to more than a few that the annotated 'flaws' are hogwash, well then you know the judging is hogwash.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Joel at this show it's a case of in your words gourmet judging gourmet as there are no McDonalds/Burger King/Wimpy/other fast food outlet entries, even the junior entries put my work to shame. I walk along the tables looking at all the entries and there is no way I could judge this event without having a very good knowledge of painting techniques. I look at the figures and I'm just blown away at what's been done so without a knowledge of the techniques I'd find it very hard to judge this show.
So to see that the judges can talk the talk as well as walk the walk I feel is important, but I'll concede that it does not work for all shows.

I've never judged figures, ships, nor armor. Only aircraft. I can certainly see figures as a totally different discipline. Personally, I wouldn't know where to start. So I never did. My references were to the basics of plastic model kits. In any case, I'm sure glad I never got back into the contest world.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I don't attend IPMS competitions--I'm only competing against myself in my builds--I'm not sure if this is already being done but, why not make it so that judges have to annotate what has disqualified a model, or why it placed where it did? If the flaws are there, then that's the end of it; if it's apparent to more than a few that the annotated 'flaws' are hogwash, well then you know the judging is hogwash.

If a team of judges would be required to fill out a form for every entrant as to what was wrong with it, the judging which already takes hours, would now take days. Back when I was judging, I would rather not judge then have to go through all of that for every model. Then explain it to those entrants that still have issues.

Joel
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, when judging, we have time and manpower constraints. Two weeks ago, 6 or 7 of us judged armor at the reborn Patcon. Since a few of us were in a few categories, we effectively had one team of three to work at least 8 categories since we would step back from judging the categories in which we were entered. All this needs to get done so command central can get this in order and hte head judge can be given a recommendation for best armor so the judging teams can then go and choose best in show while getting people on the road back home at a reasonable hour. No one wants t hang around the show after the vendor money is gone and you've made multiple rounds of the tables.
There were cases where it would have been cruel to list all the flaws we saw with some models.

The best I can offer, as I do whenever the issue of judging comes up, is to help with the task. You'll see up close that there is little favoritism, that those of us who judge do take our roles seriously.

As to what one overhears in any situation, Marvin Gaye had it right,
"People say believe half of what you see,
son, and none of what you hear."

You have no way of knowing what kind of bad blood or sour grapes might exist when someone bad mouths the guy who wins because he'd make it hard on the club.
duckdawgs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC
Build what you enjoy, enjoy what you build. Cause sometimes judges can be like your typical referees, umpires, linesmen and traffic cops, they can never seem to get things right. I've seen some doozies that have placed 1st in their categories Muddy airfield dioramas, with no mud or dirt on the tires of aircraft/support vehicles. Vehicles slanted on hill where hanging gear defies gravity and doesn't hang straight down, etc. I love building models, for me model shows are more for camaraderie and shooting the breeze and the great deals you get from the vendors happy modeling everybody
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Couple things here…this is a common complaint of newbies at shows. Unless the winners were identified by name tags or club shirts, how do you know they were club members? The modeling community is very small, those who join clubs a small part of that, as is the number of those who choose to compete. In any given geographic area, modelers who compete will pretty much know many of the others who compete. And yes, many of the same people win awards at any show they attend. Why? Favoritism? Not likely. The fact is, a good modelers will win over a mediocre modeler every time.

Further, many club members only attend their own show. In my club, maybe 10% of the membership regularly goes to other shows in the region, but at least 50% enter our contest.
I have crunched numbers over these kinds of complaints. If there were 20% of the entries from any given club, about 20% of the awards went to members of that club.About 50% of the entries are typically from non-affiliated entrants. Guess what? About 50% of the awards typically go to neon affiliated entrants.

In our own eyes, every piece we produce is a masterpiece and deserving of best in class, best in category and best in show. The internet reinforces that, especially those sites where anything posted gets an attaboy and any constructive criticism is seen as nit picking.

IPMS membership does not require membership in a local club. Most local clubs, even IPMS affiliates, do not require IPMS membership, though some do.

Well lets see here 95% of the awards were given to the guys wearing that clubs shirts although there were way better builds on the tables which I had mentioned.(not including my own)and I assure you I am no mediocre modeler been here for years! but if you consider a sky raider that looks like it has been drenched in coffee a good model, good for you not realistic but good for you. And I didn't start this post to start an argument I simply wanted to know others experience's not because I came in second but because there were only 2 people that placed that weren't club members and one of them was me. It was made blatantly obvious quality did not matter at this competition. I'm not saying they are all like that but this one was. I'm also not saying mine are perfect but I definitely am no mediocre modeler.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 01:06 PM UTC
I can only speak from my own recent experiences, having just got back into modelling two years ago.

I joined the local IPMS club about a year ago and attended their Fall Show last year even entered a model that may even have placed if I had not overlooked the fact that OOB kits need the instructions with them.

I made a point to try and watch the judges just so I could understand what they were looking for and they seemed to be trying real hard to be fair and accurate.

We have members from the Seattle IPMS help out with judging and I may be called upon this year for our show coming in a couple of weeks.

I have heard that there is a small amount of people that do get upset if they think their model was not judged fairly but that is not the norm.

I enjoy the show not for the competition, but for the sharing the viewing and to help expose our hobby to new people of course there is the vendor room

Anyways our show is coming up on the 12th Oct. if you can make it please do, and Jessie it would be great to see some of your models there even if you are not interested in the competition.

http://www.ipmsvancouver.ca/

Our rules and times are online.

Cheers Rob.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 02:49 PM UTC
Well there is a lot of deep discussion here, so I won't joke about missing the 'l' in slighted and coming to a completely erroneous conclusion.

I don't enter contests for the simple reason that my work isn't that good yet (maybe if I keep at it for another 30 years ) There are no categories for intermediate modelers like me.

I attended a show recently where they were asking for volunteer judges. I really didn't feel comfortable volunteering, I can spot the errors, I've made so many of them myself. But it just didn't feel right going in just to criticize other people's models. I thought the judging went off well, but one multi-winner (2 of 3) did not agree. He really bent the ear of a volunteer judge (I'm familiar with the judge's work, he's good) because someone down rated one of his masterpieces. Eventually the club president intervened and had his ear bent back for several minutes. We couldn't complete the tear down until he got his model off of the last standing table.
didgeboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 02:58 PM UTC
Mark you and I were at the same show, yes? OHMS? That guy was pretty hot at the head judge, and I cannot figure out why.

You should have judged as there is little skill involved. The volunteer judges more or less confirm the group leads calls, which can be good and or bad. I had a good lead and we saw most of the same things. Everyone should take a crack at judging once. You see things you might not see and hear things you might not here. It is worthwhile. But the question begs, still, what IS a good model? if there are some clearly defined rules and guides and they are clearly posted, then that should eliminate much of the confusion and many questions. Here's hoping.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 03:40 PM UTC
Yes, it was OHMS. They had one of the largest contingents of 1/72? subs I've ever seen. I don't know if it was his big boat that didn't show well. I know his comments ate right thru Jon's generally jovial disposition. He then bent the head judge's ear for 15-20 minutes, nothing was changed and he left in a cordial mood but hes been upset about something.

Like some have suggested, if there were a little more structure. A list of what to look for, a list of what to ignore. Gaps, seams, runs, drips etc, I get, but then you hear that some tank never had that mark machine gun or some such and it gets marked way down..
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi there

Wow, this thread makes for depressing reading on a subject that is supposed to be a pastime!

I parted company with the IPMS many years ago and I've never been fortunate enough to live anywhere with a physical modelling group nearby, so Aeroscale is my "club".

I've never really liked the idea of competitive modelling, so I've only ever entered one competition here where, much to my embarrassment, I won. I was so worried about possible favouritism, I bought the prize for the next competition.

Perhaps that'd be a good idea for the IPMS too - to make clear to all "winners" that they'll be coughing up for the prize for the next competition.

As for club members who cause such misery for everyone else unless they are, in effect, "allowed" to win, it begs the question of why they are tolerated as members?...

I have to say I prefer the method that Staff_Jim described to me once (which I believe he attributed to Shep Paine) whereby, if you have multiple builds that you think are worthy of gold medals, or whatever, you give each the same medal and have no actual "winner" - they have all simply reached the highest standard. That should be ample reward for anyone.

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:32 AM UTC
I have a dim recollection that TCAH (IPMS-Minneapolis) had some sort of Gold-Silver-Bronze system. All the models in a class were judged, the best one(s) got Gold, next best, Silvers and Bronze for the lesser entries. I don't recall if they had People's or Judge's choices awards.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:39 AM UTC
A few years ago I correctly predicted which two modellers would come away with Gold/Silver/Bronze in the 1:48th Aircraft category,( One taking Gold and Bronze, the other taking Silver) at an IPMS Show/Competition.
Nothing unusual in that I hear, but I made the prediction before we even got to the event!

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A few years ago I correctly predicted which two modellers would come away with Gold/Silver/Bronze in the 1:48th Aircraft category,( One taking Gold and Bronze, the other taking Silver) at an IPMS Show/Competition.
Nothing unusual in that I hear, but I made the prediction before we even got to the event!

Nigel, interesting to say the least. Is this the scenario you were referring to?

Back in the good old days, the group of regulars who I was friendly with, attended just about every convention. After a while we got to know the level of modeling that each of us were generally capable of. So we had a pretty good idea of what the competition was going to be in those categories. The kicker was that many times there was a new guy in town who just blew us away.

After many a year, entering competitions and going home with a few ribbons wasn't very important to us, it was renewing old friendships. "Seeing the guys", was what I looked forward to more then anything else.

Joel
meowmonster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:14 AM UTC
My father took me to a modeling competition (my only one) when I was 13 or 14. I'll never forget my entry-a 1969 Camaro Z-28 package, all color codes matching GM numbers, flocked interior, even working door latches-as I am a second gen modeler, and my father was used to sweeping IPMS events in his day. It was a good kit-one of the best I've ever built, because he helped me do it. (My father wasn't around much because he worked, but I won't ever forget that event or what he said when we were there.)

We entered the car and went to watch the judging. Best in show was a 1957 Chevy in a poorly mixed light blue with a fingerprint on the left rear quarter panel. I didn't place. My father (who knew his stuff) asked one of the judges what was up, as did others there. The answer? So-and-so generally won, so they gave it to him. The rest were friends of the judges. He came back to me and explained it in his way, which meant swearing and much anger (not that I blame him.) I've not competed since, though my father's continued support kept me in the hobby. I displayed that car for many years, until a moving accident took it out after college. My dad gave me one of his trophies to put with it-he still felt I deserved it for sticking the build out.

Last I heard around here, it's still the same. I build for me now, and I'm a harsher critic than they are.