_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
ipms judging slighted?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Justin

Modelpalooza judging is complex. After initial judge scores are in, we calibrate judges scores together. This means we look at the judges overall scoring and identify any trend to judge more harder or easier than other judges. If we see a trend we make overall adjustments to equate the trends together after looking at the models again. 

What you are seeing on the bottom are the initial scores. The top list shows the final scores after adjustment. Sorry for the confusion with this.  

My answer recieved this morning so if I'm to understand it correctly first the judges walk and give there final decision. Then they come back if they don't like the results am I wrong?
aknific
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi Justin,

If you notice just above Medals Summary Report the following is stated (this was posted at the same time the reports were):

"All Medals awarded are listed below. At the bottom of the page are some of the detailed scores. We apologize - some detailed entry scores were inadvertently deleted. Shown below are the ones our system saved.."

The 90.0 is coming from the Detail report. However that only is showing scores from 1 judge, and there were definitely 2 scores. So the adjustment does not apply to you. We are missing the 2nd judges score for you and your model falls in to the category mentioned in the disclaimer. I am not sure what else we will be able to do to prove this to you, however the 2nd score was definitely entered as the Summary report is built from an Entry table with data imported from the Scoring table. I am sorry, but that's what happened in your case (and some others). As such we cannot get you the 2nd judges score which I am sure would account for the drop to 87.06 from 90.

Now, to further clarify on adjustments - they are made if there is a significant deviation between judges scores in calibration (e.g.: one scores straight 10s and another scores 8s.) There is no change because we "don't like the results" and in any case an adjustment did not apply to you. Clearly one judge thought you were a borderline gold while the other a solid silver and the numbers ended up lower than you hoped.

Anthony
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
How do you know if there isn't a second score because it was deleted I give you win lol I'm done.this is my last reply to this thread.sorry for any inconvenience.
aknific
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 08:09 AM UTC
Justin,

I said there WAS a 2nd score - there HAD to be - as all entries were judged by at least one team of 2 judges.

To be honest my patience with you is coming to an end also.
I liked all your models and am really sorry you didn't like the outcome, but its clear you are not going to be happy no matter what we do or how much information is provided. What it all comes down to for me is that one week after the fact you are a grown man whining like a 5 year old over an award for a Model airplane. Have you been losing sleep over this or something? Take a step back and think about that.

Jason, if you still have questions on your entry, please email us and we will respond.

Anthony
Removed by original poster on 10/06/13 - 20:14:39 (GMT).
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 09:17 AM UTC
I worry not at all and my original post had nothing to do with my plane the forum grew and evolved into what the people made it I don't honestly know why I'm arguing with you either there was never any whining on my part at all.I'm sorry your feelings are hurt.want a band aid jesus guy lol.if you notice I havnt even posted much in this thread lol.and if you noticed I stepped away first grown man!
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC

Shaking my head. Threads like this make me never want to go to a "show" ever, ever, ever again. Due to ALL factors.
mach1revo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 10:56 AM UTC
Erik , dont let silly threads like this discourage you. These shows are great! You get to see a wide range of models in person and up close. Meet alot of great people and usually buy stuff cheap!!!!
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 12:26 PM UTC
Actually, I found some of this thread very informative and interesting. At least until it deterioated.
I only wish I could attend shows frequently. Not for the contests, because I couldn't care less. I would like to see and photograph all those beautiful models. I suppose these shows are a one stop warehouse of technique and information. That would be really cool. Is it really so important to win something, when you already leave with so much?
mach1revo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 03:06 PM UTC
Regarding winning something that varies with the person. Some people use
contests as a challenge to build the very best they can. Some just like to show their builds and couldnt care less about awards or how their build is judged. I personally fall somewhere in between. I build for my enjoyment and challenge myself to build better with each build. At the same time i try new techniques and different types of models to also improve my skills . I enjoy the contests to both show my work and see how it fares with the judges , my modeling peers and mentors. A trophy or award is icing on the cake and can solidify those feelings of accomplishment.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Huh? Really? You have some basis for this allegation? I've never seen or heard of raffle tickets going on sale before the doors open to the public. The ONLY issue I've ever heard of with a raffle occurred at a show maybe 10 years ago when club members put raffle items aside for themselves. One incident in probably 200 contests in the last 33 year. That show has been pretty much dead since. The club itself has all but folded.

Ok, Al you have never seen it happen but there was this one time. . . I am surprised, but in truth it has happened before. I've been to a few contests myself and judged at a few. Also, people get empowered at contests as judges and they tend to want to over think models almost to the point where they imagine deficiencies.

Yes, I can provide instances if you want. But I will leave the real names out to keep things civil.
 _GOTOTOP