Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:17 AM UTC
Wing walkways painted on:

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:56 PM UTC
Mal! Beautiful! I've read the book (of course)!

Magnus
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:59 PM UTC
Thanks Magnus
As I mentioned I am building this for the Heritage centre here in Mullion. Geffrey Wellum lives in the village and I will be asking him to sign this, which will be attached to the base. This is very basic at the moment but you will recognise it as part of Mr Wellums thoughts as he approaches this Spitfire for his first ever flight in one, at 19 years of age

Quoted Text

Supermarine Spitfire Mk I QJ-K K9998.
Battle of Britain 1940.
The first Spitfire flown by the youngest pilot to fly Spitfires during the battle.
Flt Lt Geoffry Wellum.

"Spitfire K for King stands waiting. The narrow legs of its undercarriage give it an almost delicate appearance. It has the air of a thoroughbred horse watching the approach of a new and unknown rider and wondering just how far to try it on and generally be bloody minded.
I sense this as I walk steadily towards her and whilst doing so I am quite unable to analyse my feelings. How strange; after all, this should be the biggest day so far in my short flying career. It is the day for which Mr Hayne and Eddy Lewis exercised so much patience and understanding when transforming me from a schoolboy into an RAF pilot and,possibly, a man; will have to wait on that score.
To fly a Spitfire, the last step to becoming a fighter pilot. Think of all the hundreds of pilots all over the service who would give their right arm to have this opportunity; to be a spitfire pilot."

Page 101, First Light, Geoffrey Wellum.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:35 PM UTC
Mal,
Now that you've officially posted pictures of the wing walks, I still say that they look fantastic.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:45 AM UTC
Looking very sharp Mal

Terri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 11:17 AM UTC
Thanks, Joel
Thanks Terri
I have given it a coat of gloss and started to apply the stencil d***ls!
Thoughts have turned to the base, I plan on using a pictur frame with a board in place of the glass and backing board. It will be fixed to the base as the folks at at the visitors center couldn't bring themselves to move the 1/72 scale model that I loned them. I'm also thinking that I need to have a perspex cover for it, otherwise I will be dusting it once a week
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Lovely job as usual! Now go wash your mouth out with soap for using the dirty "D" word! I have to admit I'm not entirely convinced by the post-shading at this stage, but it could just be the difference in shine that's throwing things for me. I'm looking forward to seeing it all evened out on the finished article.

All the best

Rowan
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:58 PM UTC
It will fit prefectly in one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trumpeter-Display-316mmL-276mmW-136mmH/dp/B000EUJPNY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1410726872&sr=8-6&keywords=trumpeter+display+cases

I can vouch for them being pretty dust proof and I think a man of your talents can soon disguise the base.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

Lovely job as usual! Now go wash your mouth out with soap for using the dirty "D" word! I have to admit I'm not entirely convinced by the post-shading at this stage, but it could just be the difference in shine that's throwing things for me. I'm looking forward to seeing it all evened out on the finished article.

All the best

Rowan

I didn't say decals! ooops

I know what you mean Rowan, I was a little sceptical but it has grown on me and does look better under the gloss coat, and I'm expecting that it will tone down when the matt coat is applied. Yep there does seem to be a difference in the shine, between the camo colours and the post shading and this has been evened out by the gloss coat. I haven't applied it as neatly as I would have liked either which detracts from the affect, so I will aim at doing it better next time The lighting is making it pop a bit more than it does in real life as well. Is that enough excuses?

Thanks for that Antoni, I think that case might be a little small; do they do any larger ones?
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:35 PM UTC
No, that's the largest. A 1/48 gets in with room to spare. I'll measure the inside later today then you can cut a piece of paper to the same size and see how tight a squeez it is.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:07 PM UTC
Roger that, thanks
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:33 PM UTC
The inside measures 315 x 275. I can get a 1/48 Spitfire in length wise with room to spare. The wings takeup most of the width but you may be able to fit a 1/32 Spit in on the diagonal.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:51 PM UTC
Rowan,
I know where you're coming from. Every time I get to the gloss stage of the build, the model takes on that Ugly Duckling way too dark and stark look. Any type of shading just looks uneven, and to some extent unnatural. But once the Matt varnish is applied, magic just seams to happen.
Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, way too dark and stark look. Any type of shading just looks uneven, and to some extent unnatural.

Yep, because of the added contrast I always want it to look a "little silly" [heavy handed] before the gloss. When I get to the point that I feel I have slightly overdone it, I leave it alone. The gloss will add contrast, but a dullcoat and a filter will make it look perfect.

And if it doesn't? That's the beauty of having made it yourself - you just 're-make' those spots.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Matt

I'm a "dirty" modeller myself. Some folks no doubt reel in horror at my creations! There was one occasion where I knew I'd gone overboard - that was on Eduard's Hellcat. The weathering took on a life of its own - and when I took a step back and judged it objectively, I had to admit to myself it was horrible - it just didn't achieve the effect I'd aimed for. So, despite all the work, I binned it.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 11:01 AM UTC
Thanks for that Antoni, but I have to get the piece out of the book in there as well,so I fear that it might be too small. Many thanks for the thought though and I will measure to confirm
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi there

That display case does look a bit of a tight fit for 1:32 models, but it's definitely worth knowing about. I'm surprised modestly priced cases aren't easier to find - you'd think there'd be a very worthwhile market for anyone producing them...

All the best

Rowan
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
They look identical to the ones that were made by Imex. Imex used to make a batch every two years so they quickly became very hard to find. Now that Trump have taken them over they are much easier to get hold of. The range is designed to house model cars, ships, tanks etc. And yes the price looks very good compared to others. I think Tamiya's was about £70. There was a company that made bespoke cases that advertised in one of the magazines. I had to take to my bed for a week when I saw what they cost.

BTW the Imex/Trump cases are designed to stack. I have a stack of about six so far.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 11:50 AM UTC
Yes the case will be a bit too tight, a pity because the price isn't too bad. I will go with my first thought and get perspex cut to size, when I have found a picture frame. Thanks a gain for the idea Antoni.

OK, I did the next bit a few days ago but I have been a bit busy to get photos; the few necessary d***ls are on. then another gloss coat ready for the weathering

I will try and do the weathering over the next week but I have family visiting and my grand daughter needs lots of attention
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC
Mal! I think this will look super when finished!

Magnus
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:14 PM UTC
I would like to think so Magnus, we'll see
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC
Washes applied using Mig 1610 Tan grey for the underside and Mig 1616 orange brown for the upper surface. I have also added some of the prototypical oil staining on the underside since taking these pictures but I think I need to find a different colour; the effect is quite good though I'm deciding if I need to do anything else before the matt coat?

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC
Mal,
The overall washes do look quite good. Certainly the topside shows the effects of wear and tear, yet it's clearly a well maintained aircraft. The fading effects of the dark Green is still quite evident, yet looks most realistic.

I'm reaching the point where I need to try those MIG washes, as they seem so superior to my current crop of washes which are mostly homemade brews.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 01:30 PM UTC
Thanks Joel
I need to sort out a couple of things before adding the matt coat otherwise they will need matting aty a later stage, which is always a pain! That is the pito tube, which I forgot to paint when doing the undersurfaces and the fod guard on the carb intake which I was going to leave off as it was just a filled in racetrack shape. I have modified it and will post pictures when I have finished it. I also need to add the yellow tips to the props, then a bit of weathering to that. I hope that I might get this finished early next week
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Looking really nice! The washes are very effective. Don't forget that tiny bit of yellow bleed on the roundel when you do your sort-outs.

All the best

Rowan