IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

Looking really nice! The washes are very effective. Don't forget that tiny bit of yellow bleed on the roundel when you do your sort-outs.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Rowan Yes I'm quite pleased with how it is looking Yes I have my eyes on the bleed, my finger twitched when I was painting the yellow and applied it a little too wet. I was hoping that the wash would have covered it but no, It is almost sorted as I have added a little more to that area. I'll try a little more of the wash today and if that doesn't cover it I'll use colour, then re-wash that area! So much hassle for one minor cock up I was hoping to have painted the few little bits that I had forgotten when I painted the under sides, but I found that there was the under carriage doors as well I have also looked at the FOD screen for the carb intake and re-did that for a better look. I will be giving these parts a coat of paint today and hopefully I will be able to post pics tomorrow
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi Mal

I think there must be a modelling rule written somewhere that the peskiest little slips end up being the biggest pains!

I've had a few slips on the AEG, but I think the biggest part of my problem is lack of practice over the last few years - too many hours spent writing reviews instead of sitting at the workbench. So, things I could once almost do in my sleep, I worry about again. To be honest, I think I've probably got in more hours modelling since I lost Mum than in the last year or so, so I guess things will eventually become second nature again if I keep at it.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Mal , man she is starting to look really pretty now !

Terri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

I think there must be a modelling rule written somewhere that the peskiest little slips end up being the biggest pains!

That is a truism if ever there was one I unmasked the prop blades yesterday, after painting the yellow tips, and a portion of the black on one blade came away! I would have been giving the model a matt coat today but I will now wait until the prop is sorted before doing so I had also added some weathering, so that will also need to be re-done and mached in with the rest of it!

And yes I know where you are coming from with a lack of practice, I have to think about what I am doing!

I'm glad that you like her Terri I am itching to build another, for me
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi Mal

That is a real pain about the propeller! Are you using GS acrylics throughout? While they are not as robust as enamels, I'm really impressed by how strong the yellow is. I usually spray any yellow early, because it typically lacks covering power over darker colours, but this looks great.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Quoted Text

That is a real pain about the propeller! Are you using GS acrylics throughout?

Is that Gunze Sanyo? No, I am using MR Paint and I love 'em The only colour that I have found is just too light (for me) is RLM 02. There was no problem painting yellow over the camo but the ultimate test would be yellow over black; something that no modeller would even contemplate? Well I did:
The touched up propeller, with the yellow tips painted on after the black. The parts that I forgot to paint when the underside colour was painted, the undercarriage doors, the pito tube, which needs the actual tube painting aluminium, after it is drilled out, and the FOD guard for the carb intake.

The FOD guard had a solid infill so I carefully drilled and cut that out and used some mesh to make the guard more realistic. Originally I attached the mesh to the rear of the guard, but I wasn't totally happy with it so I cut it down until it fitted inside the opening. Up close you can see that there is a build up of paint in a couple of places which I might try and rectify before attachment, but you just know what sods law dictates here? "The more handling of the smallest parts that there is the more chance there is of the carpet monster getting a snack!" So I might just leave well alone, especially as at normal viewing distances it looks just fine

The rear.

The front.

So theses parts will get a wash today and then everything is ready, I think, for a matt coat later today
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:20 PM UTC
Cheers Mal

I think you mentioned the paints before, but I thought you meant Mr Color. Too many Misters! I've never tried MR Paint, but it looks like I'll have too.

On the subject of model paints, it looks like the excellent WEM Colourcoats are no longer available? Luckily I still have a reasonable stock, but I'll be very sad to be without my favourite enamels.

All the best

Rowan
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On the subject of model paints, it looks like the excellent WEM Colourcoats are no longer available? Luckily I still have a reasonable stock, but I'll be very sad to be without my favourite enamels.

All the best

Rowan

There may be some hope:

http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:29 PM UTC
Yep Soverign Hobbies has picked up "Colourcoats" They have recently relabeled a few thousand tins Still Colourcoats but with different labels
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
Cheers Mal and Antoni

That is great news! (In fact we should probably have run a News item on it at the time. Trust me to be the last to know! )

While I readily mix and match enamels and acrylics in my builds, I'll always be an enamels man at heart.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Mal and Antoni

That is great news! (In fact we should probably have run a News item on it at the time. Trust me to be the last to know! )

While I readily mix and match enamels and acrylics in my builds, I'll always be an enamels man at heart.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan, I think a news item was run over on Shipwrights at the time regarding the paints and also one regarding the rest of the line, name and website which was picked up by Tom's Modelworks. Tom's are working on getting the WEM website ready to re-launch the range and by the looks of it are not that far off.

Mal, great watching you go through the process with your build as always.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, I think a news item was run over on Shipwrights at the time ...

Hi Luciano

That's no help on Aeroscale. If you see something we need to run over here too, let us know.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 12:44 AM UTC
Rowan, here's a link to the latest news on the paints.

colour coats

Just to clear it up I had no input into the news item, just that I remember reading posts on the subject else where and then this news.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal, great watching you go through the process with your build as always.

Thanks Lucky, this is enjoyable especially because of the subject. I went into Truro yesterday and picked up a picture frame that will form the base, and a grass mat. On the way home I dropped into Penryn plastics and got some clear acrylic cut for a cover. As this is for the heritage centre it needs to be protected from "prop spinners"!

I will be applying the matt coat today and then I will be able to finish this by final weathering and adding the dangly bits. Then on Thursday I hope to be able to see Mr Wellum and ask him if he will sign the passage from his book that will accompany the model. That, for me, will be the best bit
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:30 AM UTC
I didn't manage to get this finished by Thursday, but it will be finished today and I will be taking it to show Mr Wellum on Monday

Matt coat applied, Exhausts and the antenna added and exhaust staining and cordite staining applied. Some chipping as per typical Spitfire fashion added using a silver pencil. I would like to do the heavier chipping at the port wing root using an actual chipping method, but as I don't use acrylics I can't use the hairspray type technique, and a method that works with enamels has, so far eluded me Something else I would like to show is wear through the primer coat. I have attempted a little of this, using a coloured pencil. It doesn't show up in the photos, it is very restrained and minimal, but coulkd be a good level of ware if I can crack the method!

The next update will show this completed and maybe with a photo with Mr Wellum

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 - 06:42 PM UTC
Mal,
Your paint chipping looks pretty good to me. Looking forward to your final set of pictures.
Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
I completed the model this morning and I have taken a few photos and I'm just gearing up to be able to show Mr Wellum tomorrow. I'm thinking that the chipping at the port wing route needs extending out from the route, having looked at a few more photos, but I will ask Mr Wellum about it before I do
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi Mal

Looking really good!

Quoted Text

I would like to do the heavier chipping at the port wing root using an actual chipping method, but as I don't use acrylics I can't use the hairspray type technique

I thought you were using acrylics on this one? MR Paint?

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought you were using acrylics on this one? MR Paint?

All the best

Rowan

Well now keep this to yourself but they are advertised as being acrylic but they are more like cellulose! You certainlt won't be able to use water to remove the paint
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi Mal

Maybe they're like GS? - I thin them with cellulose (Tamiya too). But GS work fine with the chipping solution.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC
I'll give it another go Rowan

I completed the Spitfire on Sunday and on Monday I took it over to show the man himself Unfortunately he was not answering his door and I didn't want to keep banging louder as I didn't know if he was about or not. I had been told by his neigbour, who I know, that 10.30 would be a good time. He was in because his car was there. Si I haven't got a photo of Mr Wellum with the model, nor have I got his signature on the write up I did get it attached to a base and took it to the Heritage centre, where it now resides (a photo later) and I think that Mr Wellum will be asked to "unvail" it, and hopefully sign the write up, at a later date

Now this is finished I can look at building another, for me This one will have a detailed cockpit and will be back dated to have the pump handle for the under carriage, That is assuming that I can get the Aires cockpit to fit? I also intend to produce a small diorama of Plt Officer Wellum approaching the aircraft for the first time with his ground crew, Davy and Bevington, discussing the merits, or lack of, of new pilots
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:20 PM UTC
Simply a great looking Spit Mal! You should spend less time with your (our?) masks and more time modelling I think!

Magnus
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC
Beautiful build! Great result with the masks.

Great to hear it has got a good home.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC
Mal,
Just an outstanding build. I'm quite sure it will make a spectacular presentation/display piece.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simply a great looking Spit Mal! You should spend less time with your (our?) masks and more time modelling I think!

Magnus

Thanks, and I agree Magnus

Quoted Text

Beautiful build! Great result with the masks.

Great to hear it has got a good home.

Thanks Jesper
There was always going to be a great result with the masks, Miracle Paint Masks are simply the best

Quoted Text

Mal,
Just an outstanding build. I'm quite sure it will make a spectacular presentation/display piece.

Joel

Thanks Joel, judge for yourself