56th FG Operations/Black Widow
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:20 AM UTC
Torsten,
You always present your progress so neatly! I wonder how much of those Jugs share the same sprues.

Gaz
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:16 PM UTC
Thanks for your comments, guys! In the beginning the pace is always a bit slow, epecially when I start with 2 kits at the same time. But I guess now I'm over the hill and progress should be a little quicker. Did sanding away the seams on the Razorback yesterday evening while watching a football match on TV.
Damian, thanks for the additional info. That's what I also found out.
Gary, do you mean how many P-47 kits I have in my stash? Too many, you don't wanna know .... Some Tamiya, some Hasegawa and some Academy. Enough for building T'bolts a whole year through or more. And decals for a whole Fighter Group I guess ....

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
No major update today. Just to show you that I'm still working on it. Had a busier week than expected as I work for 2 at the moment. And I had a really nice long weekend in Winterthur/Switzerland which felt like a little holiday after all the trouble at work ....
Have been working on the engines which are ready to be assembled to the fuselage and glued also the elevators to the fuselage. That was all I managed to do last week. As I said, no big update. Hope to have more time for the work bench this week ....

Torsten
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC
Torsten,
Progress is progress no matter how small it may be. It's ground covered towards the finish line.

Both big Radials really do look quite nice.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
Torsten,
Any progress is good! Those engines look sweet! Are you going to do ignition wires?

Best Wishes,

Gaz
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! And I've already done some further work on the T'bolts yesterday evening.

Gary, I knew someone would ask this question. Of course I could add the wires but I won't do it. With an open cowling it would be worth to do but as the cowling is closed you don't see much of the engine with the big propeller in front. The overall impression is more important to me than detailing parts you don't really see or look at.

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
Another small update. Major assembly is done now. The Bubbletop has closed cowling flaps and retracted flaps. Sorry for the fuzzy photo, I don't know what my camera was thinking at that moment ....

.... the Razorback gets open cowling flaps and extended flaps, just like "Hawkeye" on page 1. That's why I still havn't glued them to the wings ....

.... next steps will be masking the canopies and closing the wheel wells and cowling front with kitchen paper. Next update soon ....

Torsten
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:52 AM UTC
Looking good, Torsten!

Gaz
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:40 AM UTC
Great progress Torsten, both builds heading for the paint shop in no time at all.

Cheers, D
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 02:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, guys!
Yes Damian, I guess primer and first paint will come next week. Yesterday evening I masked the Razorback canopy, today follws the Bubbletop. Photos follow soon. Both builds still march in lockstep. But I'm sure, that will change when they come to the paint shop ....

Have a nice weekend!
Torsten
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:35 PM UTC
Torsten,
both jugs are looking great.

You're really going through both builds at quite a fast pace, yet no short cuts or less then your usual high standards as far as I can see.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 01:57 PM UTC
Thanks Joel! This is my normal pace in building, maybe even a bit slower as I don't have much time on the weekends at the moment. It takes me about 4 weeks for 1 model and about 6 weeks for 2 similar builds, depending on time and how difficult they are. Well, Tamiya is not that difficult. If I would build in a slower pace, I would have no chance to win against my stash Though, when I look at it I guess I have to become 238 years old to finish all ....

Anyway, another small update this morning. It's pretty warm here in the southwest these days (outside 35°C/95°F and in my room 28°C/82°F), so the kitchen paper dries within an hour. I can't add the rearview mirror on the Razorback right now, as it has to be glued on the clear part a bit which is masked now. The Razorback is masked with Eduard EX008 and the Bubbletop with Eduard EX010.

Question to all. What kind of blue was the colour on the M? Aeromaster only says Dark Blue and Medium Blue .... And Osprey don't even mention the colours of the profiles in their book. Well done, boys!
I tend to use RAF Blue (Tamiya XF18) for Medium Blue and Insignia Blue (Vallejo 71091) for Dark Blue. Would that fit or do you have other ideas? FS-No. would help ....

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 05:37 PM UTC
A further update of my work this week. Due to my job these days I am not as fast as I want to be, so it's more a slow progress. But it will lead me to the finish line anyway.
Did the primer all over and some first painting on the T'bolts. As usual I use the primer we produce in our company, which is actually for wood paints but it works also on plastic The first paints I used are all Revell Aqua, White 301, Red 36 and Light Blue 50 ....

.... some more bits and pieces ....

Afterwards I covered the painted areas with Parafilm M and Tamiya tape. On the Razorback I used the 6 mm tape for the rudder and the 10 mm tape for the elevator ....

I renew my question from the posting above, as no one seem to have read it. What kind of blue camo was on the M? For Medium Blue I would use FS 35164 now and for Dark Blue FS 35044 which would look on the aircraft somehow like this. Do you think that fits or do you have other suggestions? Oh, and were the paper tanks always in NMF or were they also painted in Neutral Grey?

Torsten
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:56 PM UTC
Torsten,
I'm no expert, not even close to it, but from what I've read and copied for my files when the time comes for my builds of some of the 56th P-47Ms, for the darker blue Insignia Blue, for the lighter shade of blue Azure blue, and a medium blue for the rudder should get you close.

It's been a long time since I read through all the incredible information available in the P-47 Heaven SIG. I'm pretty sure you'll find the consenting opinion on the proper colors there.

Your progress is still way faster then mine. Heat, nor humidity are an issue at my home, so weather really can't be used as an excuse for lack of progress. Work these days seem to put a huge dent in my free time. I've already informed the powers to be that as of 10/1 I'm going back to just 4 days/32 hours.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC
Joel, thanks for your suggestions. Azure Blue? Are you sure? Just like on my latest Spit? Isn't that too bright?
Thanks a lot for the hint with the P-47 Heaven. Didn't think about that but I will check it out for sure.
Did some painting today and airbrushed NMF on the underside of the Bubbletop. But I have no photo to show.

Torsten

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Torsten.

Solid progress once again, and a great start to the paintwork.

Check out this thread on P-47 Heaven for a discussion on the blue issue.

I hope this gives you the info you need.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:32 AM UTC
Torsten,
I doubled checked what references I had, and Azure Blue seams to be the oval choice. I also did a quick run through the thread that Damian posted, and Azure Blue is mentioned there as well.
Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:12 PM UTC
Thanks again for your feedback, guys!
Damian, I think that thread is quite helpfull for me. Haven't read it all yet, but I think I'll give Azure Blue a try.

Torsten
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:09 PM UTC
Looking back at a 63rd M I built a few years ago, the build thread states,
"The rudder was painted using the mix recommended by Tamiya..2 parts X16purple, 2 parts XF8flat blue and 1 part XF-2 white.
The other blues I mixed up myself. The lighter blue was 3 parts Vellejo white(001)/1 part Dark Blue(053). The darker blue was 3 parts Tamiya X3 (royal blue)/ 1 part XF17(sea blue)"
Turned out ok for me.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/features/2263
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:47 AM UTC
Thanks Nigel for your explanations. Sorry for my late reply but I had not much time for the computer and no bench time for 3 days, as I had my family from the north here in the hot southwest.
In fact I'm no fan of mixing paints so I decided to use Azure Blue 71108 from Vallejo. It's the same colour as on my latest Spitfire IX, which you can see above. For the darker blue I will use Insignia Blue 71091, also from Vallejo.
Just airbrushed the underside of the Razorback in Neutral Grey. Hope to get some work done this weekend. Photos follow ....

Have a nice weekend!
Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
There has been no update last weekend in this thread and I apologize for that. I will tell you later why.
Well, at the moment I concentrate on the Bubbeltop and this is how far I came ....
First Silver 90 from Revell on the underside and masking ....

.... a lot of masking ....

.... then it was Azur Blue time all over (Vallejo 71108). Uuuuaaaah ....

.... on Thursday Isignia Blue (Vallejo 71091) joined the party and now it looks pretty cool ....

.... the left fuselage side is a bit hypothetical as I have only a top- and a right side profile of this bird. But I think I came close ....

Demasking will start tomorrow ....
Right now I mask the Razorback after spraying Medium Grey (Revell 43) on the underside. Tomorrow will be another airbrush session with OD (Vallejo 71043).

More to follow so stay tuned!
Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC
This is the reason why there was no earlier update. A bit here but I'm sure you accept it.
Last weekend was the Hahnweide Festival, one of the biggest oldtimer aircraft festivals in Europe. It's near Stuttgart, only 100 km away from my home. It was hot there, really hot and of course no shade. I made only a few photos, more videos (with sound!!!!!) and these are a few of them. Enjoy!

Dassault Flamant

Douglas Skyraider

Spitfire Mk. XVI

awesome flightline

a beautiful restored Yak 3

Yak 11

P-51 D Mustang

Klemm Kl 25, the oldest registrated aircraft flying in Germany, built in 1927

beautiful painted Boeing Stearman

Stinson Reliant

can't remember the name but it's a beauty

Focke Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz

Hawker Hurricane

AT-6 Texan

T-28 Fennec (french version of the Trojan)

Junkers Ju 52 "Aunt Ju", still with its original BMW engines, based in Dübendorf/Switzerland

Antonov An-2 "Aunt Anna" in NVA markings

P-40 Warhawk, one of my favourite warbirds ever (awesome sound!!!)

and finally this bird ....

There were a lot more like a Fokker Dr. I and a Fokker E III but of them I have only small videos. Also Fieseler Storch, many Yaks and other birds I don't really know but they were out of my sight to take good photos. But I'm pretty sure you like my little selection here. It was a great day at the hot, hot Hahnweide, smelling Kerosine.

Torsten
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:08 PM UTC
Torsten,
Thanks for sharing those fly in pictures. I would never have thought that someone could own such a rare aircraft as a Me262, and in flying condition no less. Talk about having money.

The camo paint scheme on the bubble is really come out quite nice. You're painting skills are certainly up there with the very best of them.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 12:14 AM UTC
Joel, the 262 is owned by EADS and they have money, lots of money, believe me. It's one of the five replicas which were build in the USA several years ago.

The painting on the Bubbletop came out really well, as I wanted. Demasking a model is always like unwrapping a christmas present. You never know what you really get .... But here I have nothing to complain about.

Have finished OD on the Razorback today. Hope it comes out as well as on the Bubbeltop. I'll see tomorrow ...

Have a nice week!
Torsten
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:48 AM UTC
Torsten,
Nice!