Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Vietnam War 50 Campaign
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 04:19 AM UTC
Sherb, Franck, looking forward to seeing your builds. The Oscar looks like it will be interesting.

I got the fuselage closed up on the F-5. Fit was good, just needs a little filler in a couple of spots. I decided to add the pilot to fill out the empty cockpit. Although to give Matchbox credit, the ejector seat does look like what it's meant to be unlike a few of their other kits!

And also arriving today was the RB-66, so I should be able to start this one soon.

Looks to be a simple kit with minimal parts. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

And the Airwaves EB-66 conversion kit. Just a case of adding some lumps and bumps. Not sure I'll need the tail cone as it looks like the kits. I think that's only needed if you're converting the B-66 kit which has tail guns.

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 04:55 AM UTC
Nice work so far everyone!

Progress on the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21PF. Because of the way the cockpit is built up, it doesn't all come together until the fuselage halves are joined. Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy.

Michael
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:23 PM UTC
Well my entry into this campaign is finished.
A nice kit which goes together quite well.

Andy
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:28 PM UTC
Nice work, Andy! First across the finish line.

Michael
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work, Andy! First across the finish line.

Michael

Thanks Michael.
I was in-between reviews, so it worked out quite well.
Andy
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2018 - 03:10 AM UTC
Nice work Andy, the Corsair looks great. I keep meaning to pick up their Navy boxing of that kit.

My F-5 is fast approaching the painting stage. This is a new record for me although I don't want to jinx it. It does seem a shame to cover up that bright coloured plastic though

Only problem area was the bottom which needed a bit of filling and sanding. I also found a couple of M117's to hang under the wings in the spares box.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2018 - 04:20 AM UTC
Looks like it went together a LOT better than my Airfix F-5.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2018 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like it went together a LOT better than my Airfix F-5.

These old Matchbox kits usually go together really well. Only bad one I ever built was the FGR.1 Phantom. Got the Skyknight to do just as soon as I get some Marine EF-10B markings.
But you should see the PM F-5. Probably makes thr Airfix look state of the art.
alliedbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:44 AM UTC
Here's an update on my progress with the Skyraider over the past two months. This build has taken on a new significance for me as my father, who introduced me to the hobby and who I built my first kit with when I was 9, passed away back in January.

You'll also notice I built myself a new work bench since my starting photo.

Pre-Painting

Tan base coat

Light Green camo coat

Dark Green camo coat on

Mini Gun Pods and Center line tank on. I replaced the kit pylons with the Quickboost resin set to better accommodate the after market ordnance

All ordnance is on.

Ready for sealing with future, putting on the markings, weathering, and then flat coating.

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:05 PM UTC
@alliedbuilder - Sorry about your dad. That Skyraider looks already excellent! Looking Forward to the markings

@Stephen - I will follow your F-5 build, thinking of taking out my own Italeri/ESCI kit for that campaign
Keep going, mates!
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 06:42 AM UTC
My skyraider is moving along. The kit shows its age in the amount of flash I have had to remove but despite its flaws I like it.

Cockpit is basic but can't really see much of it anyway once the fuselage is closed up

Fuselage

Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hello fellow modelers,
there are really great builds going on here.

Here is my entry for this campaign. Started the kit on february 24th but I did not manage a post until today.

The kit is the old A-4C from Fujimi in 1/72 scale with some PE for the cockpit from Arma Hobby..

Start pictures:

and with start date:

Cockpit part assembled so far:

Put some aluminium foil onto the side walls (Thank´s to
Paul Anderson for his tip in the great thread of the Dakota Build).

Oliver
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 11:05 PM UTC
Been building happily and almost forgot to post updates. So far this has been an easy build:

There was a small gap between gun fairing and wing (on other side), and between avionics hump and fuselage, but otherwise everything fits fine. There are some fishing weights in the nose, and if those aren't sufficient I'll add centerline tank with more weights.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 12:24 AM UTC
@Pasi Nice work on the cockpit of the A-4. One could mistake the scale for 1/48 easy.

A bit late but I decided to join the party aswell. Have a Crusader, Phantom, Thunderchief and whatnot in the stash, but there is realy not enough time for those, I have to go "simple" so here is what I will attempt, a F-100D "HUN" with some basic AM additions. I know about the shape issues of the nose so I will try to take care of that.

DSC_0355
RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 - 04:42 AM UTC
Howdy folks

I see a lot of cool updates and also good looking finished A-7D, great work, Andy.

Workbench is now cleared of previous build remains, so I'm ready to goIFR to... oh wait... ready to start building my A-7D from HobbyBoss. Fact is I can quickly finish this one as the first task to do is to remove this nasty seam line I talked earlier with Andy. If I fail, kit goes to hell

But before we find out, here's the pic of kit in unspoiled condition. I'll use AM canopy masks from Eduard:

Of course scheme is pretty obvious as the other one provided with kit is a plane from Ohio
Cheers,
Radek
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 - 10:24 PM UTC
i'm a bit slow off the mark due to real life getting in the way but i have finally managed to get my act together.

Since everyone else is doing wingy things and the like i thought i'd be the oddball here and do some figures.

I have chosen Bravo 6 1/35 MACV-SOG series 2 which has a south vietnamese soldier holding an M16 with a grenade launcher attached whilst the other figure is of an american holding a signal panel in the the air trying to attract the attention of friendly aircraft.

as you can see the figures are still in their plastic bags in the first picture and the second shows them having been assembled (mostly) and coated with primer paint.

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 02:29 AM UTC
@RadekZ - Is there not an Aftermarket produced replacement canopy available ? I can imagine the polishing of that part will take some time.

I have made some initial progress on the F-100D too. The Quickboots ejection seat had to be heavyli modified because there was alot of stuff missing between the seat and the cockpit wall. I also removed the molded belts since the PE belts look much better. I have also ordered the AM Quickboost engine exhaust because Trumpy opted to do this in two parts - basically unfixable.

DSC_0384
DSC_0387
DSC_0393
DSC_0402

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 01:05 AM UTC
So, I know we only have 3 months plus left, and I know I started on the MiG-21, but I "plan" on making the HK Models B-17F Memphis Belle for the Bombers 2 Campaign and this morning I suddenly thought: "Why not two Memphis Belles?!"

So, slight change in plans here:

I got a little help for this one back when I got it, in the form of the Black Box cockpit, AeroClub landing gear, and Albatross decals to do the Belle:

The only work I've done on it is to paint the base coat of gray on the interior, and I have to re-do that since I've switched to Tamiya paint since then.

Here's my Thud library:

Hopefully that'll keep me going. Guess we'll see!

Michael
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 07:15 PM UTC
just a brief update, as you can see i have started some preliminary painting on the boots and as well as the painting of the faces.

alliedbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 03:53 AM UTC

I'm going to call her finished. I'm happy with how it turned out and I had a lot of fun with this project and it was the first time I dabbled in after-market parts. I'm looking forward to watching the everyone else's builds in this campaign as I move on to an F-100 D I'm building for my Great-Uncle who was a crew chief on F-100's in the late 50's.

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 04:39 AM UTC
Nice work! Don't forget to put some pics in the campaign gallery.

Michael
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 - 03:58 PM UTC
@ c.swisher - Excellent Skyraider! Well done!

@ Michael - I see you've got the two books of Jack Broughton, I bought them, too, long time ago, impressive reading!
I will follow your Thud build!
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 11:35 AM UTC
@Michael, now that Thud will be interesting to watch. I have the 1/48 in stash and I didnt have the courage to start it for this campaign. Looking foward to see Your work.

There is some progress on the F-100D, The AM exhaust from Quickboost finally arrived and as You can see there is no real comparison between the AM part and the original one. I have aslo installed the wheel bays in the fuselage which took more time than I was expecting and will require extensive putty and sanding work.

DSC_0411
DSC_0412
DSC_0415
DSC_0416
DSC_0418
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 05:48 PM UTC
well the painting process is coming along nicely if you ignore that i broke the hands off the guy who is holding the signal panel but you can see in the picture that they are coming along nicely.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 09:57 PM UTC
I will try to reserect my A1 for the campaign. Ive put primer on at this point.

Bob