_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Vietnam War 50 Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:36 AM UTC
Welcome to the 2018 Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Campaign.

The campaign will run from 1 January through 1 July, 2018.

If you haven't signed up yet, or want to see the rules, go here.

Please post your initial and in-progress photos as well as campaign discussion in this thread. Please post your finished build photos in the campaign gallery.

Looking forward to some great builds in remembrance of the hottest conflict of the Cold War!

Michael
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 02:23 PM UTC
Here's my entry:

The box cover shows A-4E, but I'm building A-4F either from "Ghostriders" (USS Hancock 1971) or "Fighting Redcocks" (USS Bon Homme Richard 1970).

The Eduard kit has Hasegawa plastic with Eduard decals, resin seat, paint masks and PE.
McScheffer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 100 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hey Mates,

a new year and a new great campaign. My entry is the F-4J Phantom from Academy.

Happy new year

Chris
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 09:54 PM UTC
Well, I've got too many choices. Phantoms, Thuds, Spads, Sluffs, Buffs, Won-O-Wonders, Bird dogs, Skymaster, Bronco, Mohawk, Hun, Vigilante, Destroyer, Invader, Intruder, Scooters, Cobra, Aardvark, Chinook, Sky Knight. Did I forget one? Probably.

So if I can only pick one, I'm going with the UH-1C Huey. What air craft could be a more iconic representation of our Viet Nam experience?

No,that's not some special camera effect, I managed to end up with two of the same kit, just one set of decals. With an extra helping of luck, I'd love to finish both for this campaign. One in Army markings, and one as the Navy version. The only common decals are the blade tips and the turbine line. I can paint the tips and maybe make a red decal for the turbine line.

Good luck everyone. Happy New Year
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 10:31 PM UTC
I have two kits to choose from, or just build both. One USAF or USN.

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 11:16 PM UTC
Looks like we're off to a good start!

As for me, a new year, a new campaign, same old question: How crazy am I?

Those who know me through this site know that I'm kind of obsessed with the Osprey Duel books. This one is one of my favorites:

I'm thinking I'll start with the F-4 and see where things go (and if I can maintain momentum.)

Michael
Kanguroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vietnam
KitMaker: 416 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi,
I always love this little swallow. But can I apply the decal of South Vietnam AF?

K.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I always love this little swallow. But can I apply the decal of South Vietnam AF?
K.

Sure, RVNAF certainly qualifies! If it doesn't get you in any trouble at home, that is.

Michael
alliedbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:28 AM UTC
Here's my entry:

I'm just getting back into building after far too long away from it so I plan to go mostly OOB with a few aftermarket extras to try to replicate this load out:

Kanguroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vietnam
KitMaker: 416 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 05:09 PM UTC
Thank you, Michael.
My entry:

K.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:58 PM UTC
Looking like a good start, everyone!

Some small cockpit progress on the Academy 1/48 F-4C:

Goes together quickly once you have everything painted, but the nose gear door actuator has to be added before you glue the whole assembly to the underside of the nose, and it sticks out the bottom. We'll see how long I can keep that whole.

Michael
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 02:28 AM UTC
Well my build will be this kit which has sat in my stash for more years then I wish to admit.
HobbyBoss 1/72nd A-7D Corsair II.

This will be a speed build for me as I have several other projects to deal with sitting under the desk .
Andy
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:33 PM UTC
I'm in.
Not sure what as I have a few things to choose from.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 01:03 PM UTC
I'll be building an EB-66 Destroyer for the campaign.
Looking for something else last night I found the Airwaves convention kit for the Italeri RB-66. Completely forgotten I had bought it. Now to get the kit and find markings for BAT-21.
bookszad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:01 AM UTC
I'll be putting together an F-4 for this one - not sure what kind as of yet The kit is C/D, but I've got a soft spot for grey Navy/Marines Phantoms.

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:23 AM UTC
I have the Cessna A-37B Dragonfly by Encore that would fit for this campaign although I'm not really sure why it's in the stash? As my focus is predominately WW2 or anything RNZAF related and we didn't fly the A-37B. Probably it was at a price to good to pass up as that's how most of the jets arrived in my stash. It's also chock full of resin goodies with the old Monogram plastic.

Did the F-84F Thunderstreak play a role in Vietnam? Or had it been replaced by the F-105 Thunderchief by then?
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 01:37 AM UTC
I have been playing around with this all week on and off, and I have finally got it too this stage.
Gloss coat is on and decaling will be done from tomorrow.

Andy
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 - 04:48 AM UTC
Well, since the 3rd Generation Combat Jet Campaign is up and running, I'm making a change to my build here. I was going to do the Academy 1/48 F-4C but that will fit nicely into the 3rd Gen campaign, so I'll be switching my build here to:

Got the pre-painting done this past weekend (man, there's a lot of it in this kit!) I've previously done the SMT so I know it's a great kit, just a lot of prep work before building can begin.

The plan is that the two campaigns together will get me to

We'll see!

Michael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 02:11 AM UTC
Michael, I'll have to follow your Phantom build in the other campaign. That kit is high on my wishlist. Looking forward to seeing your Mig too.

I've ordered an RB-66 from my lhs and I'm just starting to research the marking scheme of BAT-21. Should only be a change of serial numbers. In the meantime I may start to build a Matchbox F-5 I've been wondering what to do with for years. It will be fast build looking at it.
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 06:01 AM UTC
Plan on doing this fellow for this campaign.

RadekZ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been playing around with this all week on and off, and I have finally got it too this stage.

Hi Andy,
nice progress on A-7. I'm about to join with the same one kit. How did you manage to get rid of this nasty seam line top of canopy?
I've probabhly already asked this question once ... or twice, but as you are building exactly the same kit it's nice to hear a "report from front line"

Cheers,
Radek
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Andy,
nice progress on A-7. I'm about to join with the same one kit. How did you manage to get rid of this nasty seam line top of canopy?
I've probabhly already asked this question once ... or twice, but as you are building exactly the same kit it's nice to hear a "report from front line"

Cheers,
Radek

HI,
Thanks.
For the canopy, I masked off either side of the seam, and sanded it with some very fine sandpaper, then polished the scratches out with toothpaste (as I didn't have any type of polishing compound).
Hope that helps.
Andy
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:38 PM UTC
Untill the B-66 arrives in store, I'm going to crack on with the Matchbox F-5A. Just going to be a straight OOB build. I'll be taking decals and the belly tank from the PM effort. Picked that kit up a while ago from a cheap toy shop for 99p. Certainly cheaper than buying a set of AM decals and I have a paint guinea pig to play around with after.

sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:15 AM UTC
Looks like there are a lot of good projects planned. I was thinking of jumping in with the Zoukei Mura 1/32 Skyraider with all the trimmings but considering I've never finished a campaign I've started it would be a suicide mission.

Instead I'll go with the old Revell 1/48 Huey Hog. This project has been on the back burner for quite a while. Extras include Eduard PE (actually for the UH-1D), Cobra Company UH-1C Resin, MicroScale decals and some figures and accessories from Verlinden, CMK and Black Dog.

RhinoSpit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 191 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 02:38 AM UTC
Here we go

I enlist with a Ki-43 Oscar III and a AH-1G.

About the french Oscar, a brief explanation of the context (cf. http://www.hedgehoghollow.com/awoic/japan.html ) :

Quoted Text

Soon after the close of the Second World War, French forces in Indochina found themselves with out air support. Pending the arrival of aircraft transferred from France, and ex-British Spitfires, attempts were made to press into a service a number of war-weary Japanese aircraft. Although there were numerous Japanese airstrips located throughout Indochina, only a handful of serviceable front-line modern aircraft were located. For the most part, these aircraft performed second-line duties with the French, as transports and liason aircraft. The notable exceptions were the Nakajima Ki-43 Oscars, which formed the backbone of two fighter squadrons until their replacment with Spitfires.

It appears many of the aircraft were in relatively poor condition, and in the unfamiliar hands of French pilots the attrition rate was high, with at least two aircraft being lost during their only flights! Though most aircraft lasted only until 1946, it is likely that a few soldiered on in French hands until 1949.

_GOTOTOP