Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Mighty Eighth Campaign
KPHB17FE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC

Your optimism is justified! Airfix released a new tool B-26 last year - I hear it is very nice.[/quote]

I don't believe it is new tool, just a re-release with new decals. The Hasegawa Marauders are quite nice albeit on the pricey side. Airfix has come out with a very nice early B-25.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... In recent years Revell and Airfix have done most of the Allied bombers between them. And a good job they've done too. I think only the B-24, 26, 29 and Hampden are yet to be done. I'm optimistic.

Your optimism is justified! Airfix released a new tool B-26 last year - I hear it is very nice.

Their B-17 is supposed to be very nice too. I fancy the RAF Bomber Command version, I think it's a variant used for ECM support. I did their Whitley shortly after it was released and it went together really well.

Congratulations on completing your Mustang Tim, looks really nice.

Anyway I need to stop procrastinating, get some other builds finished and make a start on mine!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't believe it is new tool, just a re-release with new decals...

Oh well, dare to dream...

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2019 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations on completing your Mustang Tim, looks really nice.

Thanks Stephen! The Minicraft (Crown) P-51D is a pretty decent kit, but the much newer Platz Mustang is even better - mine arrived in the mail as I was finishing this one. If you are into 1/144, Platz is the way to go.

Still, I did have fun with Crown's classic pony!

Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 03:47 PM UTC
To Honor My Uncle, who was in the Mighty 8th.
He was a tail gunner in a B-17G named "KA-LANG" that was interned due to a flack hit on a mission over Stettin Germany:
The American Air Museum has him, crew and aircraft listing as:
"..no gas, force landed Bulltofta, Sweden, 5/13/44, #42-37978"

I'll be doing a basic OOB build with more of an emphasis on the exterior appearance, like coloring, weathering and as accurate as possible, decals to represent "Ka-Lang", his B-17G.

"Ka-Lang" (the sound that shrapnel made as it hit the fuselage)

The Crew: (My Uncle is standing far Right)

My Build:

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
Nice work, Tim!

Thomas, it's good to have a personal link to a model you're building. Have fun with that one!

Michael
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 07:48 AM UTC
Update:
For Me, not working on scratch building or additional PE for this kit makes for an easy build..... So far!!...
Most internal building done with some small detail left..

Build:

Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 11:08 PM UTC
Tim: Outstanding built on this tiny model. I can´t believe how accurate the checkered decal fits!

Thomas: Work space of Your fortress looks really nice, especially the wooden elements.

Oliver
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 - 09:45 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
Tim, nice build. I stopped buying 1/144 kits because they're so small and it's hard to see the parts.
Keep up the good work, you always seem to pick the interesting kits, even if it's a P-51D.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 - 09:50 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I'd like to try this kit-Tamiya's 1/48 P-47M:

Take care,
Don "Lakota"
alliedbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi All,
I plan to build the Tamiya P-47D Razorback in the "Spirit of Atlantic City" markings.

I got a bit excited and started the kit yesterday then remembered I needed to join the campaign and post a photo.

warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 08:10 PM UTC
I'm really surprised there has been nothing on Aeroscale about the new 1/48 B-17G from HKM coming out in Oct. It might go very well in this campaign.
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
AeroScale: 254 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm really surprised there has been nothing on Aeroscale about the new 1/48 B-17G from HKM coming out in Oct. It might go very well in this campaign.

Hi, Troy!

YOU BETCHA!!!

I can see at least one "entry" using the new 1/48 HK MODELS B-17G happening!
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all
I'd like to try this kit-Tamiya's 1/48 P-47M:

Take care,
Don "Lakota"

Hi, Don!

Go for it!
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 08:54 AM UTC
What? Really a new 1/48 B-17! Awesome!

Cheers Rob.
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,
I plan to build the Tamiya P-47D Razorback in the "Spirit of Atlantic City" markings.

I got a bit excited and started the kit yesterday then remembered I needed to join the campaign and post a photo.

Hi, there!

"The Spirit of Atlantic City" is a great choice! So many guys choose to do Frank Klibbe's "Little Chief" on account of the highly visible "Nose Art". It's nice to see someone doing an alternative scheme, not to take anything away from Frank Klibbe, mind you...

IMO, the TAMIYA 1/48 P-47D & M kits, i.e, the "Razorback" D-20, the "Bubble Top" D-25 and the M-1 (also a "Bubble Top") are the best Thunderbolts money can buy in ANY scale...
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Rob.

Hi, Rob!

Yeah, it's GREAT, isn't it?
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 11:43 AM UTC
Well I was supposed to be building Monogram's B-17G for this campaign, but then this showed up in the mail:

I put everything else on hold and had to dive right in. So much so that it dawned on me after I was well under way that I should take some photos so I can use the build for this campaign. My bad.

I tossed the limited decals and whatnot right off the bat and am building her as a P-51D-10 of the 4FG, Man O'War.

I did not make use of any of the included PE for the kit, opting instead for Barracudacal's excellent cockpit stencils with a resin Look instrument panel. The stencils are seriously amazing. Between Eduard's plastic and those stencils, the PE would have been a waste. Hopefully I can manage to find a set of Overtrees to put them to use later.

This is nothing but kit plastic with some paint and the Barracudacals stencils:

I also managed to gets the wings assembled. Eduard's wheel well is again excellent. I added a few wires for some detail but really didn't spend much time here. Next one of these I build I may spend some serious effort here, but for this one I just want to build the kit.

I have really enjoyed this kit so far. Eduard's Mustang is great, I can't wait for the Royal Class.

Maybe once I'm done I'll go back to building that B-17. Then again, I see HK just announced a 1:48 Early G so the Monogram may get shelved again, lol.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers Rob.

Hi, Rob!

Yeah, it's GREAT, isn't it?

Here ya go: http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/news/33418

Michael
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 01:59 PM UTC
I will be building the Monogram B-17G

I picked up these 2 kits for $5

I may also use some of this Eduard set as well as some of the Verlinden set.

Cheers Rob.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 02:27 PM UTC
WOW! Rob.

how did you come across (2) kits for such a good price?
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 04:03 PM UTC
It was at a model show I saw the box asked how much, he said $5 some pieces are missing. I never opened the box till I got home and found 2 kits!

Now there were some parts missing, a prop shaft for the F and an antenna for the G.

Cheers Rob.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 05:15 PM UTC
What a Find!

Looks like I'm going have to change my entry, when I checked out the box, the razorback was already closed up, so it's more than 25% complete.
But, I do have an Academy Bubble Top that's from the 78th Fighter Group, so I'm back on, just got to get to work.
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It was at a model show I saw the box asked how much, he said $5 some pieces are missing. I never opened the box till I got home and found 2 kits!

Now there were some parts missing, a prop shaft for the F and an antenna for the G.

Cheers Rob.

GEE! Some people have all the luck! Congratulations on a GREAT FIND, and best of luck to you with your build(s)!!!

VR, Dennis
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I was supposed to be building Monogram's B-17G for this campaign, but then this showed up in the mail:

I put everything else on hold and had to dive right in. So much so that it dawned on me after I was well under way that I should take some photos so I can use the build for this campaign. My bad.

I tossed the limited decals and whatnot right off the bat and am building her as a P-51D-10 of the 4FG, Man O'War.

I did not make use of any of the included PE for the kit, opting instead for Barracudacal's excellent cockpit stencils with a resin Look instrument panel. The stencils are seriously amazing. Between Eduard's plastic and those stencils, the PE would have been a waste. Hopefully I can manage to find a set of Overtrees to put them to use later.

This is nothing but kit plastic with some paint and the Barracudacals stencils:

I also managed to gets the wings assembled. Eduard's wheel well is again excellent. I added a few wires for some detail but really didn't spend much time here. Next one of these I build I may spend some serious effort here, but for this one I just want to build the kit.

I have really enjoyed this kit so far. Eduard's Mustang is great, I can't wait for the Royal Class.

Maybe once I'm done I'll go back to building that B-17. Then again, I see HK just announced a 1:48 Early G so the Monogram may get shelved again, lol.

Hi, Paul!

Yeah those EDUARD P-51D-5s are great kits! I'm still waiting for my two to arrive!

"Man O' War" is a GREAT choice! You don't see many of them being featured in P-51-build articles on line...

Glad to see that you're putting some "extra goodies" into your '51, as well! Lookin' GOOD!!!

VR, Dennis

PS- EDUARD is selling P-51 "over trees" at reasonable prices- Better grab 'em while they're hot and still available- Another possibility would be to grab another "Choo Choo" kit- Buying "over trees" can run you into "some money" if you're buying them separately... Good Luck, in any case...