Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Hurricane Mk IIc from Arma Hobby
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 12:13 PM UTC
continuing to keep the standards high Magnus!

Unfortunately Oramask isn't too easy to get here either. I have been conversing with Mal from Miracle Masks however and found a suitable local alternative at a nice price too

Should we ever find our way to Sweden I'll definitely drop by for a couple of and to check out the collection!
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 06:45 AM UTC
I can already see the open hangar doors for your Hurri, Magnus. Great work! A bit too dirty for my taste, but that's no secret from my side ....

Quoted Text

.... Should we ever find our way to Sweden I'll definitely drop by for a couple of and to check out the collection!

Stockholm is definitely worth a visit not for just a couple of beers, Russell! Have spent 10 days there around New Years Eve 2016/2017. Some great museums, -14°C and lots of snow ....
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 10:32 PM UTC
Jessie! That wet/dry contrast is what I'm after. With up until now kind of mixed results !

Russell! Good to hear about the masking film, from a pure logic point of view there had to be some kind of equivalent product closer to you !

Torsten! Glad you liked it here even if that kind of cold must be considered to be a bit on the extreme side. It can get cold here in the winter but seldom THAT cold! I'm originally from the south of Sweden and for me, the winter here is the big difference weather-wise (I much prefer a "real" winter with snow and cold instead of the rainy misery I grew up in )!

And while on the subject of rainy misery: that muddy weathering... This one is well on its way out of even my comfort zone ! Promise to do something more dusty (and subtle) next time!

Weathering goes on. And on and on and on !

Exhaust patterns...

...on the other side as well...

...and more mud...

...but still no wet-look! I'll give the "wet effects" another go before desperately turning to Vallejo clear!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 08:58 AM UTC
A second update for today!

Finally got the "Wet Effects" to "bite", now it looks wet. Not glossy and painted like clear varnish but wet! I say a thank you to the modelling gods and move on to the next problem...

...the canopy. It is too high (made for the old Airfix kit) and the wrong colour (interior green shines through, I was too modest with the airbrush when I painted it a few weeks ago. I'll trim 0,5 mm from each lower edge and re-mask it (WHY did I peel of the masks? WHY????).

Oh well, there are worse problems in this world...

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 08:12 PM UTC
2 updates in one day! Nice effort Magnus!

The weathering looks great!

I particularly like the smoke stain. Something I struggle to get right...
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 07:29 AM UTC
Dirty Harry .... errr .... Hurri! When I look at the landing gear I can understand why Fw 190 and others removed their landing gear covers in Russia in the wet season.

I know you can solve that problem with the canopy. And you removed the masks because we all are impatient model builders sometimes. Same problem on this work bench from time to time ....
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 08:00 AM UTC
The Hurricane is the perfect subject for painted decal film frames. Spray the interior colour, then the exterior colour, cut to shape and apply like any other decal.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 08:55 AM UTC
Russell! Thanks! I use pigments for the exhaust traces, my favourite is simply MiG's "Smoke". I find that these "real" pigments have a slightly better "bite" into the base paint than ground pastels that tend to slip off. On the other hand, I often use pastels to add tone to the basic trace, they also come in handy if I want a fainter trace.

Torsten! Canopy was trimmed down, re-masked and re-painted. I ended up with another problem though: it was difficult to fix in place... I used UV-glue and re-did it three times but the glue joint can still be seen from the outside and it is also a bit lopsided. I'll leave it as it is for the time being, an alternative could be taking it off again and add some very thin rails to the lower edges so that I could actually use the grooves in the fuselage. Anyway, I'm out of patience right now so Hurricane is finished, at least for now !

Jessie! Do you have economic interests in the clear decal film business (must be a good way of getting rich )? This comes up every now and then and I'm still not getting along with the decal strips... I think I have promised you that I should try it again but this time I simply forgot it, looking at photos of real Hurricane canopies the metal is extremely thin and flimsy looking so decal strips would probably be the perfect way of simulating them! Next time! I promise !

On to the photos:

Muddy... I'll revisit this theme in the future!

Together with older sibling Mk I...

...that I built a year ago!

Time to retire the avatar...

...and move this one to the collection

Thanks for following and all your encouragement!

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC
Lovely build Magnus, and a great job on the weathering. Very realistic mud and exhaust stains.

The pair look really good together and will make a nice addition to the display cabinet!

Looking forward to the next adventure now.

Cheers, D
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 09:53 PM UTC
congratulations on another fine build Magnus!

Thanks once again for sharing, what is one of the best Hurricane builds I've seen.

Hopefully you'll update the Collection with all your latest builds soon???

Look forward to seeing your choice for the Bi-plane campaign
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 02:07 AM UTC
Magnus,

congratulation to this lovely build. Your model truly is a gem and I like the weathering of it very much.

Oliver
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie! Do you have economic interests in the clear decal film business (must be a good way of getting rich )?

Alas, I do not, so every time I post that tip I'm making other people rich.

Now excuse me, I'm going to go gaze at that lovely model some more.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 02:55 AM UTC
Nice pair of Hurris, Magnus! Well done on solving that problem with the canopy. There's no glue to see from my side of the monitor. But I know we are always the biggest critics of our own models. Same here ....

Torsten
chrispap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 62 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hello Magnus.I think this is called top level modelling.Take care! Christos.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 06:26 AM UTC
Friends! Thanks a lot for all your kind words !

I just noticed that I have knocked the pitot askew, I'll fix it and change the photos later.

Magnus
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi Magnus.

The Hurricane is my favourite aircraft and you have managed to capture the best of it!

You have captured the look of the machine and the "atmosphere," neither of which are easy.

Bravo,

Karl.
 _GOTOTOP