Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Phantom 60 Campaign
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hi everyone! As a big Phantom Phan, I am looking forward to participating in this cool campaign. I also like colorful aircraft and the JASDF comes through with their eye catching schemes. Adding to this is the fact that I have not yet added any RF-4s to my collection so my choice for my build is this RF-4E in the JASDF 50th Anniversary scheme:

One does not see metallic blue Phantoms very often! My actual build will start off slow as I have a commitment to finish an armor diorama as a gift for a friend and that deadline is this fall.I'll work on the Phantom as time allows then kick it into high gear after I complete the armor project.
Have fun modeling!
Mike

noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 08:39 PM UTC
Ok here is my start pics. A few after market items I have bought to enhance it.
https://flic.kr/p/2jsjnUy
https://flic.kr/p/2jsi5b8
Pete
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
AeroScale: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 12:33 PM UTC
A little progress to report. I've assembled most of the cockpit and added the crew.

The crew is from the Hasegawa set. They really leave a lot to be desired. I think they're meant to be in a stationary plane with an open canopy. I can't imagine why a pilot in flight would be pointing to the front looking at another plane? I tried repositioning the arm without much success. I guess I could have done a little minor sculpting for an arm at the side.

Not sure about the guy in back either. Maybe he's reaching for the ejector seat pull?

The rest of the cockpit was pretty nice for 1/72 I guess, with decals for all the panels. I don't think that panel to the right of the RIO is going to fit without some sanding. I probably positioned the bulkhead behind the rio incorrectly but when I dry fit it before glueing it in place it was ok...

I also built the centerline pylon with some styrene sheet. It's absent much detail but I'm not sure I'll add it given the location and that there will be a loaded MER attached to it.

phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 01:16 PM UTC
White air intakes?

The instructions in my kit call for white on the inside of the air intakes. It's not a problem really, but will require me to do some masking. Is it really the case?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 02:32 PM UTC
Can't answer for the JASDF, but it is typical on many modern US jet intakes. Don't know for sure when it started might be in line with the Gray over White camo on USN planes. My personal experience with the F-16 is that the intake and aft engine bay are painted white. Same with the gear wells and doors. Reasoning seems to be that it makes leaks easier to spot.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 02:39 PM UTC

Thanks Mark! Mine will be white then.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 02:17 PM UTC
My entry:

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 05:27 PM UTC
Nice, I assume it's a 1/48.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 07:46 AM UTC
Mark, it is a beast at 1/48, but I am not able to hold much less see those 1/72 pieces.

This kit does intimidate me a little. I build props mainly not jets.

Bob
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, it is a beast at 1/48, but I am not able to hold much less see those 1/72 pieces.

Bob

It's going to be awesome! I can't wait to see it. I've read that the 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom is something of a classic in the world of model airplanes. I'm working on the 1/72 version and it is not! Good choice to go with the bigger scale.

The phantom is kind of a beast in 1/72 to be honest.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob

It's going to be awesome! I can't wait to see it. I've read that the 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom is something of a classic in the world of model airplanes. I'm working on the 1/72 version and it is not! Good choice to go with the bigger scale.

The phantom is kind of a beast in 1/72 to be honest.

The Phantom is kind of a beast in any scale! The F-15 is really about the same size, in reality, but being so much sleeker it doesn't look like it. The F-4 looks like a brick through the air. But its raw power is undeniable.

Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 02:30 AM UTC
For a couple of recent campaigns I was building a P-47 and a P-52, then I cracked open a YF-23 for the Tale of Two Tails. It was well over twice the size of either WWII bird. And all were in 1/72.
Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 03:16 AM UTC
Just a progress report really. Got the body and wing sections together.

On a closer look before I starting cutting and glueing, there was a fair bit of flash which needed to be removed.
The fuselage and wing section was a very tight fit, so much so that some sanding needed to be done. Even then it took an age to marry them all up and there was a very noticeable step just after the front wheel well and nose cone which needed alot of sanding.
After glue had set there were a few areas needing a minor fill and sanding .
Not my tidiest work, but these damn birds are fiddly !!
If and I hope do attempt another flying thing, it will definitely be 1/48 as I'm finding this hard on the old eyeballs
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 10:37 AM UTC
Progress report on my build
Cockpit is 99% done. A few bits of etch to add. Fuselage is together and I have started on the wings
https://flic.kr/p/2jwJ2ff
https://flic.kr/p/2jwDzYs
Hope to get some more done tomorrow.

Pete
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 04:02 PM UTC
After watching you guys constructing your F4's I glued something together.

phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC

Most of the big stuff is together. The wings actually fit pretty well which is surprising at this point because it seems like every part needs sanding and filling. I'm not enjoying this build very much sadly. Oddly, it has made me want to do another f-4 phantom. I've spent so much time looking at instructions from other kits to figure things out, and watching a couple of build videos of other kits, I realize there are some great phantom kits out there :-).

I'm thinking I'll feel better about it when I start getting some paint on it.

Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 08:58 PM UTC
I think I'm feeling the same Phil, I think this will be my last foray into 1/72 scale but I do still want to look at a 1/48 scale phantom or Tomcat, I like the look of the detailing and after market add ons that are available, and I'm sure in that scale my sausage fingers and eyes will cope better.
I still have some sanding and filling to finish on my F4. I primed everything on the spru so once all the sanding is done I will touch those areas up again and get all the major parts fitted and assemble the smaller bits like wheels and missile posts and paint those off the model.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 12:54 PM UTC

I hit a bit of a stall this week. I put on the metallics and masked them ready to add the white only to discover I was out of white paint! The white paint arrived today, so I painted the underside and the white parts of the tail and removed the masking. It's nice. I seem to have a little tape residue in one place. Any tips about how easily to remove that? (I will dab it with blue tack but am open to alternate suggestions).

And the canopy mask arrived this week, so I should get some good progress next week.

Sleepwalker71
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 265 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 02:01 PM UTC
That is progress! With my F-4D I'm still at planning stage and dry fitting of some subassemblies however, some glueing has been done. Here I have a question. What was the color used for painting of interior structures of the plane? For me, it looks like an interior green.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is progress! With my F-4D I'm still at planning stage and dry fitting of some subassemblies however, some glueing has been done. Here I have a question. What was the color used for painting of interior structures of the plane? For me, it looks like an interior green.

The inside of the cockpit is dark gull grey as the predominant color, if that's what you mean?
Sleepwalker71
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 265 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The inside of the cockpit is dark gull grey as the predominant color, if that's what you mean?

Nope, I have in mind color of the interior except the cockpit, like what you can see through the auxiliary air intake.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nope, I have in mind color of the interior except the cockpit, like what you can see through the auxiliary air intake.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the aux intake interior would be interior green with red inside the doors. The dive bakes also had red inside doors, but a white bay. The gear wells and main intakes were white inside.

Michael==)
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hi guys here is an update on my F4 -F
https://flic.kr/p/2jASiRa
https://flic.kr/p/2jAT7WP
As you can see the fuselage and wings are on, it went together pretty well and not a great deal of filler needed. I plan on having the nose cone open and the steps which are included in the kit on as if being serviced.

https://flic.kr/p/2jASjnL
I did some extra work on the cockpit a bit of scratch building and also the interior kit I bought. I forgot about it until I have installed the office doh. But as you can see I have included it on the canopies, also on the fuselage. So I might have to buy another 1/32 phantom to use up the dials controls.

Pete
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 01:26 PM UTC

A brief interruption....

Phantom Phreak decals. When I was trying to find decals for a marine phantom from Vietnam I found info about this but I was under the impression they were no longer being made. I now see that Sprue Brothers has a bunch of them. Was I mistaken, or is there a story to be told?

phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC

So, I've been procrastinating on getting back to my phantom. But this AM I went to start putting the canopy mask on and started wondering about whether the front window should be tinted on mine. Anyone know whether the front oval window on a Marine phantom in 'nam should be tinted? And if so, in what color?