General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aircraft 'JEOPARDY' trivia 2
Fire_Storm20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
Very Good. She can be seen at thee Udvar Hazy Annex to NASM. If you ever have a long layover going through Dulles International Airport (IAD) , go and visit.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 05:51 PM UTC
Hi all!

I know I already used this picture in another thread but... can you tell me the names of the 6 aircrafts below?

You can give a partial answer but the first with the six names will win!

Jean-Luc
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Bell P-39 Airacobra
Republic A-10 Warthog (Thunderbolt II)
Stinson L-5 Sentinel
North American B-25 Mitchell
Supermarine Spitfire
Boeing AH-64A Apache

David
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:56 PM UTC
OK David! The next one is yours!

Jean-Luc
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:09 PM UTC
Identify this aircraft?

David
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hi David!

Is it the plane used by James Bond in the movie "From Russia with love"? :-)

Jean-Luc

P.S. I always answer like this when I don't know the answer!
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Jean-luc

It is Russian made by a company famous for its fighters.

David
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Is it the Mig-8???

#:-)
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
You got it Polar bear.
some links about The Mig-8 "Utka" (duck)
http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/mig-8.html
http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmodels/on/mig8/mig8.htm

David
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
Thanks!

I really have got to recommend the Unicraftmodels homepage. Wow! I've never seen so many odd subjects in my life!

I had to browse the page for a while, and when I saw the nose on this horrid Ilyusin Il-40, I got the inspiration for the next question.

There is perhaps no "one and only" correct answer to this one - or is there? :-)

I'll be the judge!!!

Which aircraft through history has got the ugliest nose!?

I'm gonna start things off with the Nimrod AEW3. It has an ugly nose AND an ugly butt!!! :-)

Now let's see those hideous snouts! I'll give you 24 hours to post all the planes with cranes so hideous and unattractive, that you'd be willing to chip in for an emergency nose-job! :-)
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
Roland, I commend you (somewhat) for speaking out and I somewhat agree. This particular question is kind of opinion based, but most of the questions here aren't. This is a fun-gag that has been going on for a while and, frankly, is enjoyful. Because this site is named Armorama, it is obvious where most of the site's interest lies.

And having been with this site for over a year and a half, I have come to find that the other sections and their contributing members, especially warships and aircraft, is mostly a tight knit group with special interests. That is why most of the answers are from the same people. Also, people ask questions that they know the answers to...because they have to say whether or not the answer is right.

Also, people tend to follow the precent. If someone asks a question about early aircraft, generally the next follows. I proved this when I broke the trend and asked a modern question. The following questions were generally related to modern times, but it slowly faded back.

Most of the answers are found on the internet if you don't immediately know. Now this is going to sound bold, and I stand behind this as my own statement and no one else's: If you don't like where this forum posting is going, you have a couple of options:

1. Don't participate.
2. Change it. Try talking to whom you consider the main contributor's to this problem; but do it through PM's not in front of literally the whole world.
3. Wait until you can find a question you know you can answer, and then answer it, and ask your own question.

Armorama is not a cesspool of conspiracy. There are no pre-arranged questions; closed-door chat sessions late at night determining who to screw with next - though there are late-night chat sessions. We are a community with a general interest in modelling. In a community, there are people with certain specialities. There are people that just naturally gravitate towards certain other members due to certain tastes and personalities. There are people that don't rub together well (I vouch for this personally and have no doubts that I can be one of those people). The great thing, though, about this community is that you can be heard and voice your opinion. But in the end, it is your opinion. There is no one forcing you to participate.

--------
That is all I have to say at this time and because I don't want this fun to be locked down, here is my answer:

The pimples

Sagging neck

EC-18

Jeff
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
Gentlemen,
Since MERLIN started this thread, I’ve watched it develop into an interesting exchange of little known information. It’s become one of the most popular threads on the site, and was intended to give aircraft enthusiasts a chance to exhibit their interest. I think it has fulfilled that purpose.

This thread like all other good things offers the opportunity to “test its limits”. I do believe the current question being so “subjective” does just that. Posting a question here with “I’ll be the judge as to the correct answer” does give “newcomers” the wrong impression, though I have no problem with it.

I don’t think we want to give others “the wrong impression” so, Please let’s keep this civil, in our responses, and just have fun with it (this thread). I have to agree with both HAMMERHEAD and USNAVY2534, as they are both expressing their opinions.

I hope that everyone will continue to enjoy this thread, but please let’s not get into any “Flame Wars” we don’t have a history of that here on ARMORAMA.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Dear Roland,

I'm sorry if you feel that I have wasted your time. I didn't think that anyone would be offended by my question. Apparently, I was wrong...

I agree that this thread regarding "trivia knowledge" is often very hard. I'm lucky to have been able to answer a few questions correctly. As you probably know - given your adverse attitude towards me - I have only participated during the last couple of weeks. - This time I tried to do something different (perhaps not the most successful of ideas) and present a "beauty contest" so that everyone could participate.

And for this you go postal?!?

You complain that this trivia is of no interest to the general modeller. If you have been following the thread for the last couple of weeks (as you claim) then you must have noticed that I've tried to focus attention on the possibilities to build the planes that have been the subjects of the questions - either by presenting kits that are available, or by showing some really neat builds (such as the Victor and Vulcan in connection to the Falklands questions).

I've participated myself for a couple of weeks - on and off - and I have picked up loads of new information. The hard questions makes you read up on a lot of things. The knowledge of some participants is truly commendable. I don't think I have any "buddys with pre-arranged answers" yet. - Perhaps I haven't been around here long enough to start any really good conspiracies. When and if me and my buddies do, then we would hopefully seek domination of something even larger than this thread!!!

Now, I could be equally rude, and for a while, I truly contemplated asking you to (I just had to juse that smiley!)
Don't worry, I'm not going to! Instead, I ask you to please forgive anyone here that have wasted anyones time. I'm sure that it has not been intentionally. Given that you're even newer than me here, I hope that you will enjoy your stay here. Further, I'm going to ask you to pose the next question. (Believe me, it had better be good :-) ). This way, you yourself can enjoy being "judge and jury". - I do hope that you're up for it!

Jeff; All I can say is that the EC-18 would have been a very strong contestant!!!
Beautiful (?) planes!! :-)
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Further, I'm going to ask you to pose the next question...

Ding. Now on with the show.

Jeff
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 07:28 AM UTC
Hi all!

I just complained in the "Air over the Sea" thread that there was not much action there and came here to answer PolarBear's EXCELLENT question and... :-) ... seems ALL the action is here!

As a somewhat "activ" participant of the Trivia, I wonder what this is all about? The Aircraft Jeopardy is supposed to be fun! I admit some question are difficult and I searched myself 2 hours on the web to find answers to some obscur questions posted here! But thats the fun!
I also admit having prepared questions in advance! Trying to find some that were original! It's not easy to find something that is for everyone, but not to easy, vintage but also modern, real aviation as well as modelling related etc...
Roland, I can't understand what's the problem? You couldn't answer to the questions so far? Were they too difficult? Sometimes, the Trivia was "frozen" for more than 24 hours, don't tell me you didn't have the time to answer!
I have learnt a lot during the last two month here and it was fun, really fun! :-)

Jean-Luc
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hello All!

I admit I'm still trying to gauge how hard a question to ask. A simple question to me, could be difficult to everyone else. IMHO a good question should be challenging as well as fun.
Part of the fun of modelelling is the research, hopefully this thread will inspire some kit building.

David
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC
The P-47 Thunderbolt
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:52 AM UTC
Identify the following aircraft from its ASCC (NATO) reporting name
eg. Fulcrum = Mig-29
Here is the list

Blackjack
Cub
Farmer
Hook

And a bonus point for the identity of 'Bank'

David
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 06:24 AM UTC
Blackjack = TU 160
Cub= Antonov 12
Farmer= Mig 19
Hook= Mil 6

And a bonus point for the identity of 'Bank'= U.S supplied B25
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC
you got it Andy other to you

David
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
Thanks David for that question it made me open a book to find the answers :-) .
Now for my question, which W.W.2 plane ordered by the Army Air Corp and the British Purchasing Commission was to be originally known as the P-45 Caribou?
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
P-39 Airacobra!!
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

P-39 Airacobra!!

Well done, your turn with the question
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:49 PM UTC
Cool!

Ok - this question was a little bit inspired by Jean-Luc's supercool build of a French F4U-7 Corsair with Suez stripes (which may be admired at the Official Air over the Sea Campaign Thread, along with quite a few other very nice builds!).

Please note that my question has a modelling twist!

A) Which type (and mark) of aircraft was flown by no less than three nations(!) involved in the Suez war.
B) One of these aircraft scored a kill on the eve of the war. Which nation's aircraft did this, and what was the target?
C) Which company has recently released a 1/48 model of the particular aircraft.

As a bonus - name a couple of good reasons why I should not run down to the store and buy the kit mentionned under C)...

Cheers!!!

:-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hi Polarbear!

Thanks for the "Air over the Sea" advertising! I must say I wasn't aware of that! Not that someone would think this is another conspiracy! :-) (it's a joke!)
I'll stay out ouf this question as I have already some "Suez Campaign" documents laying around since a few days!

Jean-Luc