Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A right Royal Fokker!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all,

The Albatros built Fokker D.VII kit pieces have arrived. Yahoo! Warm Fuzzies all round! Now to brew up a special batch of coffee. 8 oz of water 1/2 cup of fresh grounds. Pop in the Blue Max in my DVD player...have my wife bring my dinner to me... its showtime!

Hi Stephen!

I suppose this means you are beginning the build of your Fokker D. VII! :-)
By the way Rowan, is there an end date for this build? Or should we adopt the same rhythm as you with your Fokker?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I'm finished! The end-date's tomorrow... didn't you realise?! :-)

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm finished! The end-date's tomorrow... didn't you realise?! :-)

Wow Rowan!

I better should have kept my mouth shut! :-)

More seriously, is there a time frame? One month, two month, a year?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I'd reckon on about a month - maybe six weeks.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Rowan!

Fantastic! I received your parcel today!

Six weeks are ok for me! thanks a lot...

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the info on the props Stephen.
I was working on a month, but I really do want to try and get my B-25 finished for the SYT campaign so I would like six weeks, but I will aim for the month. I started yesterday Warm fuzzies
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 07:01 AM UTC
Greetings all;

Just as Eduard had several different modelers do their promo images on their website We here at the "Air Wing" are embroiled in a Mega-build. Just for clarity the builders are Myself, Jean-Luc, Mal and our own Rowan Baylis.

Here are some comments on the Albatros built Fokker D.VII mold. There are subtle differences. The retainer stubs for the firewall are more delicate than on the OAW & Fokker molds I have worked with previous. Also my sources tell me that there are more than 1000 kits made. It seems a whole series of kits was punched out un-numbered going to reviewers such as ourselves here. Our efforts here will hopefully touch the members on several levels.

1. the kit is very buildable
2. you can avoid any pitfalls by hanging out here.
3. you can see how three different modelers deal with the kit and ask us questions
4. Enjoy the build with us.

Look for final results in about one month. But drop in here for some daily comments from the participants.
Model On!
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Stephen,
Haven't gotten my kit yet, but I was notified that it has shipped. I look forward to seeing the progress reports and I want to thank you for being open for questions. I'm sure I'll have some. Will all of the builders be updating on this thread, or will you all be starting seperate threads for your own individual updates so as not to confuse them all? At any rate, I can't wait to get a look in this box. Thanks guys.

Nils
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
It might be an idea to use this thread to ask questions, probably of Stephen, and start our own build threads? I will be having a build thread on my IPMS Armorama site anyway, but I will post regularly here on the main site.
I have started to build the engine and very nice it's going to be. Rowan mentioned not adding the ignition harness because it would not be seen, but where exactly would it go. I assumed the spark plugs would fit in the top of the cylinders? If this were the case would they not be on show?
Another question, Stephen:
On the diagram showing the control cables (page 15) there appears to be only 1 cable running from the fuselage, just below the starboard machine gun to the underside of the upper wing. On the wing moulding there is the same moulded area, that is shown in the diagram, on both sides. I assume that this is the aileron control and would therefor be on both sides? Assuming one each side (or should it be a twin cable, going above and below the aileron?) should the rudder and elevator controls be similar on both sides of the aircraft? Again only one side is shown on page 15.
Thanks
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 02:48 AM UTC
Greetings Mal,

In the Mercedes (180hp pictured below) and the BMW the sparkplugs are located on the left and right sides of the cylinders. The aileron cables coming from the fuselage to the underside of the upper wing are dual. (two on each side.) The later Fokker built D.VII examples had dual rudder control cables. But elevators had singles on each side.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Will all of the builders be updating on this thread, or will you all be starting seperate threads for your own individual updates

Hi all!

Nils, I will post my pictures in this thread... maybe I'll do a nice frame around my pics, so they won't be confused with those of Stephen, Mal and Rowan. I think I will start my kit this week-end.

Stephen, thanks for the pictures of the engine!

Jean-Luc
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC
Mal,
Check this out:
http://www.aeroconservancy.com/latergrip.htm
I'm not sure if I was able to link that right, but you should be able to get there. I thought it was interesting, as it shows how the cables were hooked up toward the bottle of the page. Stephen will have to tell us if that is the correct "stick" or not. I did find some 3 view drawings that show the cable running up both on the port and starboard side though.

Nils
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC
Greetings all the Aero conservancy is a website owned and operated by Mr. Charles Gosse. Decent sort and highly focused on WWI aviation. This link may work better.

http://www.aeroconservancy.com/latergrip.htm
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 01:31 PM UTC
LOL, thanks Stephen. I figured that you knew him.

Nils
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 01:33 PM UTC
BTW Stephen. What are you doing up at 3:00 in the morning? Don't you ever sleep? LOL.

Nils
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Nils; Updating my website , finishing 5 Fokker D.VII(Alb.) 1/48 scale instrument panels, drilling out some rigging and cable holes, adding ribtapes to three pairs of D.VII wings. Then there are the three Clergets...for the Camel a side by side look at the stock Eduard, resin Eduard and resin Vector engines. drilling out the Eduard Camel instrument panel to do some super-detailing. Also drilling the rigging pilot holes. My days off are the middle of the week and everyone's asleep. Now what are you doing up at 1am sir? You evidently haven't read my signature line below.
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
LOL, I have read your signature line. I've been meaning to talk to you about your web site too, and seeing what CD you might suggest would help me with this build. I know that you haven't built this kit yet as we are getting it at the same time. I will check out the web page though and see what you've been up to. Thanks again Stephen.

Nils
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC
Cool thanks for the pics and the links
Mal
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
I got my Fokkers today! Awesome, yet scary. I've got to figure out which is which I guess. I think I'll start by sitting down with the "book" they sent along with it and get an idea of where to start. I do want to do as much detailing as I can and get the weathering right. I know that Stephen mentioned something about a wash over the lozenge paint job somewhere, but I'll cross that road when I come to it. I'm excited!

Nils
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I have taken the time to do a little editing of the instruction booklet especially where the history end of the profiles is concerned. If you have the instructions you will see what i have "fixed." I have tried to stick with the meat of what is known about the profile concerned. Rather than some errant info or fluff that seems present just to fill in space.

Concerning the OAW types...

Pages 16 - 17. In August 1918 when their new Fokker E.V types were grounded due to a series of inflight failures, Jasta 6 were assigned a complement of Fokker D.VII (OAW) types from a small portion of the mid production batch machines from D. 4500 - 4549/18. These aircraft were given the unit’s black and white stripes on the engine cowling, tail and wheel covers. Coming from Jastaschule I, Ltn. Fritz Schliewen was photographed in this aircraft after he reached the unit on 15 August. He was to gain two victories with Jasta 6. The crosses on the lower wings need to be either centered on the fourth rib or with the horizontal arm overlapping the wing tip rib. See upper left image.

Pages 18 - 19. The command of Jasta 19 was given to Ltn. des Res. Wilhelm Leusch on 18 October 1918. He led Jasta 19 until the end of the war, while the unit was based in Trier. Leusch personalized his aircraft from the D.6300 to 6649/18 production batch with beautifully depicted dragon. The typical paint scheme of Jasta 19 markings, was the yellow nose, blue rear fuselage ( the blue was the Jagdgeschwader II marking.) This machine was later photographed in French hands post war. See upper right image.

Pages 20 - 21.The Jasta 37 unit marking was black and white striped angled across the horizontal tail, as this unknown pilot́s aircraft probably from the D.6300 to 6649/18 production batch illustrates. It is also known that some of the Jasta 37 pilots had the noses of their Fokker D.VII types painted an individual colour and block letters or bands on the fuselage. This is one turned in at Nivelle at the war’s end. The quality of this image is such that it could have been either 4 or 5 colour it is just very tough to tell. See lower left image.

Pages 22 - 23. On September 14th, German fighters shot down 58 enemy aircraft and balloons, while they paid with two wounded and two captured pilots. One of these was Ltn. Paul Wolff a Jasta 13 novice , who was forced to land Lake Lachaussé at 15.10 hours. Later this machine (from the D.6300 to 6649/18 batch) was photographed on the AEF airfield at Colombey les Belles. See lower right image. It is now believed that this aircraft was stationed with the 185th Aero in the winter 1918-1919 for familarization.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:56 PM UTC
Concerning the Fokker Schwerin built...

Pages 24 - 25. The first unit to receive the new Fokker D.VII in late April/early May, 1918, was Jasta 10 of the elite Jagdgeschwader I. Their machines were marked with yellow engine cowlings. Ltn. Friedrich Friedrichs came to Jasta 10 on 11 January, 1918 from FAA 264. Here, he achieved his first aerial victory in March, increasing his combat score to 21, including 11 balloons. The destruction of observation balloons would become his specialty. On 15 July, when the ammunition storage exploded in his Fokker. Friedrichs jumped free from the aircraft, but his parachute snagged the tail unit. The parachute was torn off the harness. Ltn. Friedrichs was killed over Arcy at 20.45 hours in Fokker D.VII 309/18. The lower wing crosses should be further inboard by one rib space. See upper left image.

Pages 26 - 27. Jasta 2 ’Boelcke‘ was, with a tally of 336 victories, the second most successful
unit of the German air force during the First World War. Hauptmann Carl Bolle commanded the unit in 1918 at a time when the Fokker D.VII made up most of the fighter inventory. That Bolle led the Jasta in exemplary fashion and gained 31 of his 36 victories, sixteen of them on the Fokker D.VII. One of his currently unknown subordinates flew this early Fokker D.VII 332/18. The lower wing crosses should be further inboard by one rib space. Untypically this early machine’s wings were covered in 5 colour lozenge. See upper right image.

Pages 28 - 29. In the past this aircraft is thought to have been assigned only to Ltn. Hugo Schaefer of Jasta 15 (a unit of Jagdgeschwader II), note the nose color is shown in Jasta 15́s red. Hugo Schaefer gained a total of 11 aerial victories while serving with Jasta 15. He was shot down by an SE-5 (probably 24 Squadron, RAF) in July, 1918, but safely landed with a seized engine on the German side. The latest research shows the aircraft was most probably passed on to Jasta 19 another Jagdgeschwader II unit, The red nose was over painted with Jastás 19 yellow. It is believed the aircraft was captured with this marking on 27 October, 1918, when Capt. E. V. Rickenbacker of the 94th Aero shot down Ltn. Des Res. Max Kliefoth. Thought to be covered in 5 colour lozenge and to be from the last part of the first production batch D.403 - 526/18. It is thought that the wing were added post Jasta 15 service. See lower left image.

Pages 30 - 31.After the Armistice, Jasta Boelcke was ordered to pass its Fokker D.VII types on to the British at Nivelles. This unknown pilot́s aircraft was among such committed aircraft. A photo of the aircraft with RAF members was taken there. Often block letters on the sides of aircraft identified the pilot’s surname or the first letter in the name of a female friend. The lower wing crosses should be further inboard by one rib space. Thought to be in four colour fabric and could be from either batch number, D.5050-5149/18 or D.7604 - 7805/18. See lower right image.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 02:03 PM UTC
Concerning the Albatros Johannistahl built...

Pages 32 - 33. While flying Fokker D.VII types, Jasta 46 was commanded by Ltn Otto Creutzmann (8 victories) as a part of Jagdgruppe 2. The pilot of this aircraft is unknown but it was photographed in British hands post war. The lower wing crosses should be further out by one half of a rib space. There is evidence that The unit may have had black not red forward fuselages. The top wing is in 5 colour lozenge while the bottom wing is in four colour. By the way Greg VanWyngarden believes that the forward fuselage is black not red. See upper left image.

Pages 34 - 35. In June 1918, Jasta 43 had a mixture of Fokker D.VII and Albatros D.V & D.va types. In an attempt to unify the equipment, when Jasta 18 moved from the 6th to the 19th Armee area, their older Fokker D.VII (Alb.) types were supplied. These aircraft bear the original Jasta 18 marking, including the raven badge on the fuselage. This aircraft depicted as being from the D. 528 - 926/18 production batch was flown by Leutnant der Reserve (Ltn des Res.) Josef Keller. He joined Jasta 43 on 5 June, 1918. His only victory came on 8 August 1918 when he brought down an SE5a near Bray-sur-Somme. His combat career ended on October 11, 1918, he was seriously wounded when he crashed during test flight a Jasta 43 Fokker D.VII. See lower left image.

Pages 36 - 37. Vzfw Oskar Hennrich joined Jasta 46 on 6 May, 1918, after seven months service as a pilot of two seat types with FAA 273. He shot down a balloon as early as 14 May, and he reached 19 victories by October 1, 1918. Shooting down 13 observation balloons, he became the fourth most successful balloon buster in the Fliegertruppe during WWI. This machine is depicted as coming from the D. 6650 - 6899/18 production batch. The lower wing is an OAW replacement (4 colour lozenge with light blue rib tapes?) and the machine was powered by a BMW IIIa. See upper right image.

Pages 38 - 39. Oberleutnant Robert Ritter von Greim reached his first aerial victory in October
while serving as an observer with FA 3b. He graduated as a pilot after pilot training, serving with FA 46b. In April 1917, he joined Bavarian Jasta 34b, and became the unit commander in June, 1917. He led this unit until end of the war, with brief periods where he commanded the temporary groupings of frontline units called Jagdgruppe. These were Jagdgruppe 9 and Jagdgruppe 10 (Jasta 34b was a part of these higher units, which were similar to a wing). Greim claimed a total 28 victories and he was awarded the Pour le Mérite on 8 October, 1918. Note he is the only pilot represented here with that award. This machine is depicted as coming from D.6650 - 6899/18 ( probably before D.6746/18) in four colour fabric. He continued with his aerial career after WWI, as a consultant to the Chinese Air Force. Later, in the mid thirties, he led Jagdgeschwader Richthofen. His wife was the famous German female pilot Hanna Reitch. In late April, 1945, he was designated as the last Luftwaffe supreme commander and ordered to throw back the invasion of Berlin. He was captured by US troops and committed suicide in a Salzburg hospital on 24 May, 1945. See lower right image.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hi Stephenl!

Thanks a lot for the additional infos and for everything else !

I will present my pictures of the Royal build with a nice vintage frame to make this something special. I hope you like it.

Jean-Luc
BadBoyFLSTC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hey guys, great work. I have a question (already). At the bottom of each profile page there is a color chart, but I have never heard of the brand of paint they are refering to. Any chance there is a conversion chart for these colors?

Nils
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 02:16 PM UTC
Colour me suitably impressed Jean-Luc. On the colour paint Mr. Color is fairly easy to pick up in the US and a quick trip to the well stocked local hobby store and you can see it beside other paints. I use Testors Model Master paints in most all cases. Though the JG.II blue can vary quite a bit from unit to unit and airframe to airframe.