Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Modeling Spruce and Linen:
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
Greetings all; Remember this?

Quoted Text

Operations Memo from the Aeroscale Early Aviation Air Board
Now that the contest is done we all settle in for a long winter's...

"For Your Eys Only"
It has been confirmed that several scale model WWI aviation supply depots and distribution centers have gone through drastic changes.

Rosemont Hobbies is not the only one to change owners. Still some hush-hush here still.
Though production and sales are not supposed to change...Americal/Gryphon has announced it is closing its doors at the end of this year. Really folks, get them while you can. No word on the status of their decals after Dec. 31, 2006...

The Cats out of the bag. Squadron has purchased Eagle Strike.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Roden SE 5a with Part of Poland detail sets.

Hello Stephen, somewhere this year I want to do Roden's SE5a 1/48 as well. Does this detail set also contain the parts which belong in the triangle shaped openings of the wings? (Sometimes I wish I could make myself better understandable in English, but I guess you know what I mean).

Greetings, Nico
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hey Nico!
Unfortunately the rigging pulley ports are not enhanced from the SE 5a brass fret from Part of Poland.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen!

Still i am a bit suprised so much is in this set but not the rigging pulley ports.

greetings, Nico
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC
Greetings all;

Just wanted to tell you that I appreciate all of the support I get from the admin and members when it comes to the early aviation title. Life is too short not to thank people that deserve it. You are the cat's whiskers!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
Greetings all;

As most of you have seen I am busy with several projects, but I like it like that. Have finally dug out from the above average snow fall this year. The Spad XIII is going well and I am consulting with Messers Alan Toelle and Jon Guttman on the French markings scheme I will use. I have had a request for more of the Roden Fokker D.VII with the Part of Poland pieces build I did a couple of years ago. So I am digging up the images for that. The rest of the proposed builds will begin showing up with the Rumpler C.IV with the Bristol Fighter and the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter close behind. I must say having begun on the Roden SE 5a - Part of Poland brass etch set recently has been a tremendous amount of fun. I need to order some display boxes as well... shelves are getting crowded.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:35 PM UTC
Greetings all;

It has been snowing ...again...and I have the sniffles. Have just put forth the portfolio part two. For those of you who read my reports it is on the 1/48 Fokker Dr.I kits by Aerobase and DML / Dragon. Also I submitted a series of WWI aviation renderings from the Hans Von Hammer and Nick Fury Comic books for "Aircraft in the Comics." Jean-Luc will get to them in his good time.

Ursula has a hot shower ready for me so this is gonna be short..feel crummy.

For the correctness...etc.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 03:19 PM UTC
Its snowing again! Its tough to take photos out doors when its snowing. administrative type paperwork piled on my work bench...Taxes?! It already tax time ... aaaaarrrggghhh! Must clear it away, must build... Now the All girl ground crew's showers are on the fritz! Work work work!

No worries folks the Spad XIII is being rigged and I found the images of the Roden early Fokker D.VII with the Part of Poland brass that I had been searching for. I need a secretary... will put in a requisition... in triplicate...

I will be attacking the Eduard photoetch sets in the near future as well. One for the guns and one for the wheels. The over-view on the photoetch thread will have a bit of a surprise as well. The Rumpler C.IV is getting some polish on the text. Masseuse! Thats what I need, there is another requisition!!!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:03 PM UTC
I have heard that imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery. One of our members has taken to using the Pershing icon with a Russian private's epaulet (with star.) I am sincerely touched. Who knows what the future brings? Only the shadow knows... Just me and my shadow strolling down the avenue...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From Feb. 14th, 2007; It has been snowing ...again...and I have the sniffles. Have just put forth the portfolio part two. For those of you who read my reports it is on the 1/48 Fokker Dr.I kits by Aerobase and DML / Dragon. Also I submitted a series of WWI aviation renderings from the Hans Von Hammer and Nick Fury Comic books for "Aircraft in the Comics." Jean-Luc will get to them in his good time.

Ursula has a hot shower ready for me so this is gonna be short..feel crummy.

For the correctness...etc.

Follow up report
Greetings all; Here it is ten days later and I am just now starting to feel human again. Eagads! Ladies and gents that has been a long time for a head cold. I am blessed it did not turn into pneumonia. How I found time to model is beyond my recollection. Maybe the Gnomes came out at night and... no wait that was and engine... uh elves? Anyway more Spad photos by middle of next week. Then we move on into the realm of an all resin kit with a bit of PE and other bits. All so the sypmosium on photoetch is being cobbled together. We will cover available sets and discuss the Harry Woodman theorum on PE.

As a bit of a teaser. I begin with noting that early photoetch was not meant to be used on its own merits. Bits of plastic and texturing (there is that word again) with paint, were supposed top be used to "hang" on the photoetch to flesh it out. More later.

People seem to be busy, but I am mildly concerned that the Early Aviation Air Campaign needs a boost so that will come this next week as well. This month's twin features on Early aviation have been my second portfolio and the 9th installment of "Aircraft in the Comics." Our good friend Jean-Luc has been indespensable in these areas. Rowan has looked in on us from time to time (...now thats a busy man.) I think he's cooking something up for us later this year. I note that Kitmaker has a "new" department for the scratchbuilding fiends among us. Some good stuff will turn up there no doubt.

The office furniture has changed for the better. I have inherited a big leather chair that is comfy and strong. (Ursula and 8 of the all girl ground crew and myself all had our picture taken on it ...yes all of us at once.) I have passed on my splintery crate to the new "Piper Cub Reporter" Andy Bethyn for his fledgling office as Aeroscale's man on the street for reporting all the news that is the news on new and reissued models.

Schedule this weekend has me doing research, model building and watching a few good movies.

For the correctness of the report and recovering slowly.
S.T.Lawson
Brig. Gen. Aeroscale and the usual accolades.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi Stephen!

Good to hear you are getting better! Did you receive a special treatment? :-)8

About the "Bloody April" Campaign, why not make it run the whole year? If I understood the rules, one as to build two models, so maybe more time will encourage people to participate... what do you think?

Jean-Luc
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen!
Good to hear you are getting better! Did you receive a special treatment? :-)8

About the "Bloody April" Campaign, why not make it run the whole year? If I understood the rules, one has to build two models, so maybe more time will encourage people to participate... what do you think?

Jean-Luc

Bon Jour Jean-Luc!
Yes, getting better always involves TLC and Ursula knows how to TCB as well!

In the beginning I had thought about a whole year but was persuaded otherwise. Since we are planning another Early Bird Contest I allowed that everyone could use a kit that had already been built for one of the entries. What I have done is offered free download from my website concerning any model there that a member might be interested in building for the Campaign. At last look we have 5 confirmed and several more getting builds and references together.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC
March 09, 2007

Status monthly Report for: 2007 Aeroscale Early Aviation hangar

Conversion of the old supply room into an office... 100% complete. Wet bar has been commissioned. Wine cellar / bomb shelter ... 100% complete. Stores have arrived.

Planet Models Rumpler C.IV 20% complete.

DML Derelict Spad XIII...100% complete.

Eduard Wire wheels demo ...30% complete.

Eduard Spandaus demo ...30% complete.

Lozenge Camouflage instructional...99% complete.

French multi colour camouflage instructional...75% complete.

Hot Ply Pockets review 100% complete.

Monthly CQ duties .. beginning.

Air Campaign "Bloody April 1917" in progress. Posting of my first half of the build 75% complete. 3 months left.

For the record: Brig. Gen. Stephen T. Lawson (callsign JackFlash)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 03:55 PM UTC
Operations Memorandum, Aeroscale Early Aviation

From now on lights out will be at 12 midnight. Only members with signed passes will be allowed to forage in the mess hall. Also all pillow fights in the barracks of the all girl ground crew are to be completed previous to 10pm. While the Cyber Cafe is open at longer hours inebriated members are not allowed to pass out near the flight line. You puke, you clean. Furthermore no members are allowed male or female to just walk into my office...I about threw my back out last week and it startled Ursula. Knock first thank you!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:36 PM UTC
It was a dark and windy night. Machines were tethered and picketed in the hangar. All the windows and doors were shut tight against the March Lion roaring in the darkness. Some of the all girl ground crew had just secured the flaps on Camelhill - Baylies' Camel and Fok. D.VII over on the other side. I was watching a training flick ... "The Blue Max" for the 5000th time. The mess sgt had sent over some rotisseurie cooked pepper turkey, some Grey Poupon and Fresh baked bread... (her specialty.) Coffee was brewing with a rasberry / chocolate for its creamer awaiting patiently in my favorite blue glass mug. Side dishes included saute'd mushrooms in butter and fried chesse battered in cornmeal and nuts. Ursula had just appeared with some Turkish delights when I heard a loud pounding at the Hangar North door. In rushed the courier with the Urgent Message...

" To: Brigadier Gen S.T. Lawson Callsign 'JackFlash'

From the Desk of : Rowan Baylis

Date: 27 March 2007.

Re: Now your in for it ...

I know your ground crew gals lifted my leather chair! You can't hide it forever!!!

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 02:50 PM UTC
April 06, 2007

Status monthly Report for: 2007 Aeroscale Early Aviation hangar

My remodeled office has been christined.

Planet Models Rumpler C.IV 50% complete.

Eduard Wire wheels demo ...50% complete.

Eduard Spandaus demo ...50% complete.

French multi colour camouflage instructional...80% complete.

Monthly CQ duties .. beginning.

Air Campaign "Bloody April 1917" in progress. Posting of my first half of the build 100% complete. 2 months left. (There is actually three months left but this is my own schedule so I can stay on top of the other planned events.)

For the record: Brig. Gen. Stephen T. Lawson (callsign JackFlash)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 06:42 PM UTC
Early morning here at the cafe and a mix of snow and rain has everything mired in a sticky bog. Limping along the pain in my right foot is exceeded only by the heavy and morose feeling I carry with me this day.

Got up in the middle of the night at the sound of somethin stirring in the hangar... mashed my middle toe and its mate on the door jamb. dropped my lectric torch hobbled about on the one good foot for a bit and slipped on a dog bone wrench. Needless to say I woke up with a headache, back ache aching left ankle and swollen right foot.

The all girl ground crew are on leave this weekend. Everyone's off on holiday and iI am pulling CQ. Tending to my boo boos I cinched down the toes to support one another and dressed for morning duties. Squeezing my bloated foot into its boot was a real treat. As not only did I experience great pain but saw flashing colours the likes I would expect from a sheet of psychedelic Techmod lozenge decals.

The new unit hack motorcycle and side car was in sad shape with three flats. Some bugger had pilfered my bycycle. My staff car was in the shop and the Aeroscale taxi driver was sleeping off a binge from the night before. His keys were no where to be found either....so I walked nay, hobbled to the cyber cafe at the other end of the airfiield.

As mentioned previously the mud tended to try and take my boots with every limp toward the cafe. it was like walking in twice boiled oatmeal. My poncho was ripped and it was only after having gone half way out that the rain / sleet began to soak into my uniform. Being mad with hunger I trudged on.

Finally I reached the oasis of Madam Consumpta's Peep Hole bar and Grill. Though open it was dark and empty of life. I suddenly felt like the last living cell in a dead body. The amidst the pain and loneliness I remembered the day. Knowing what I must do I turned my face to the torment and strove to the small white building at the far edge of the tarmac. I could hear the music as I drew closer. A familar face waited at the gate with an umbrella. "Hello Jack" was the warm greeting. I responded, "Hello Vicar hope I'm not too late?"

His kindly voice boomed, "Not at all we were waiting for you." Somehow the pain was not as prominent and nothing else mattered much.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 02:39 PM UTC
April 27, 2007

Status end of month Report for: 2007 Aeroscale Early Aviation hangar

Planet Models Rumpler C.IV 60% complete.

Eduard Wire wheels demo ...60% complete. Will begin in July '07

Eduard Spandaus demo ...60% complete. Will begin in July '07

French multi colour camouflage instructional...85% complete.

Nieuport Weekend build / review ... 10% complete.

Monthly CQ duties .. completed.

Air Campaign "Bloody April 1917" in progress. Posting of my first half of the build (Ltn. von Bertrab's Albatros D.III ...100% complete.) 1 months left. (There is actually two months left but this is my own schedule so I can stay on top of the other planned events.) The Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter is ... 50% complete.

For the correctness of the record: Major. Gen. Stephen T. Lawson (callsign JackFlash)
Removed by original poster on 04/29/07 - 16:23:32 (GMT).
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:57 PM UTC
It was a bright spring day at the Aeroscale Early Aviation Hanagar. The all girl ground crew were busying themselves with the normal duties. The newly poured, set and painted concrete floor was getting a coat of lt. grey paint. Several of the ladies were working in the rafters checking the fire supression devices. ( I really have to tell you all one day about this unique feature. Its activated by monkeys.)

I was at my new ten drawer cherry wood desk (scrounged by my industrious ladies of the "Commando Auxilary of the All Girl Ground Crew" from the offices of the Commander James Starkweather, hisself.) The leather chair courtesy of his lord high imperial poobah and high exalted wizard, General of the Army, Rowan Camelhill - Baylies. The tiffany desk light was off and the bright sun shone through the window behind me.

The current projects having under gone inventory and inspection, all tools accounted for and supply inventories were signed and dated. The morning coffee was a brewin and Ursula was about to play "mother" and pour the hot Java for our morning crew eval reports. Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Aircrewoman First Class Misty reported, " Sir there is a messenger here from General of the Army, Rowan Camelhill - Baylies' office requesting to see you."

With an uncanny swiftness the young messenger reported, snapped a rigid salute and handed forth a sealed envelope. I saluted in reply, my new hardware glistening and reflecting in his sight so brightly he squinted an excused himself just as quickly as he had appeared.

This was it the answer to the unaswered questions of recent weeks. In this sealed envelope was the future of the Early Aviation Hangar. The silence was broken only by the sound of a dropped tool on my new concrete floor out in the hangar.

I looked down at the sealed envelope in my hands. Cheerfully Ursula spoke, " Well at least now you know who he chose to shoulder more of the responsibilities around here..."

In bold print the envelope was stamped. "Not so Top Secret. . .Anymore."
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:36 PM UTC
Earlier today a 4' X 4' X 4' crate was delivered to my "door". As one of the ladies applied a crowbar I read the manifest. "Staff reports and guides." As the ladies pulled away the wooden side sections of the cube I could see it was a solid mass of booklets, reams of spreadsheets, stacked 3 rig binders and a rather obnoxious large box of software.

A single hand written note was attached to the manifest in a familar hand script. " Hey Jack there is a map in here to a buried bottle of 30 year old single malt. Better find it before the other new staffers. . ."
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
May 24, 2007

Planet Models Rumpler C.IV 70% complete.

Eduard Wire wheels demo ...70% complete. Will begin in July '07

Eduard Spandaus demo ...70% complete. Will begin in July '07

Lozenge Camouflage instructional...100% complete.

French multi colour camouflage instructional...90% complete.

Nieuport Weekend build / review ... 100% complete.

3 Portfolio features in the works.
A. Pfalz D.
B. Nieuport 11 -27
C. The Aviator -behind the scenes in 2003.

Air Campaign "Bloody April 1917" in progress. Posting of my first half of the build (Ltn. von Bertrab's Albatros D.III ...100% complete.) 1 month left. The Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter is ... 60% complete.

For the correctness of the record: Major. Gen. Stephen T. Lawson (callsign JackFlash)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:38 PM UTC
June 24, 2007

Planet Models Rumpler C.IV 90% complete.

Eduard Wire wheels demo ...80% complete. Will begin in July '07

Eduard Spandaus demo ...80% complete. Will begin in July '07

French multi colour camouflage instructional...95% complete.

A. Pfalz D.
B. Nieuport 11 -27 ( awaiting verification)

Air Campaign "Bloody April 1917" in progress. Posting of my two builds 100% complete, (Ltn. von Bertrab's Albatros D.III & the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter A1093.) 5 weeks left due to the extension.

Review on the Eduard Nieuport 16 Weekend edition 100% complete.

Feature on the Lafayette Foundation 's participation in the movie "The Aviator by attending Hell"s Angels basecamp. 100% complete.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 05:10 PM UTC
I finally figured out how to fix my profile so the various articles I have published are on separate lines and readable as a list.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:55 AM UTC
June 27, 2007

Planet Models Rumpler C.IV 94% complete.

Eduard Wire wheels demo ...90% complete. Will begin in July '07

Eduard Spandaus demo ...80% complete. Will begin in Aug. '07

French multi colour camouflage instructional...100% complete.

Pfalz E. & D. types

Air Campaign "Bloody April 1917" in progress we are coming down to the wire. July 31 st.

Early Bird Contest to begin on Aug. 14 and run til Dec. 31. Rules to be posted.

Review on the Roden 1/32 Pfalz D.III 50% complete.

Feature in progress Top Seccret. Code Name End of the trail.