Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Vietnam War Campaign" - Official Thread
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now i'm torn I've just been digging through my stash looking for my Dragonfly and come across Testors 1/48 OA-2 Skymaster in a very old looking box. So now I can't decide which to do the Skymaster of the Dragonfly

Ohh... difficult one. I would go for the Dragonfly, but on the other hand there is already a Dragonfly in the campaign. Not that that should stop you
I know you are attending a lot of campaigns like me, but maybe build both if there is time?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
My Bird Dog has arrived and Ive got an unexpected day off tomorrow!!
Whats a guy to do,,,,LOL
Should be a pretty quick build I hope,and it will get me back into the swing of things after so long away from the bench.
I'll be up there spotting targets and dodging Migs before you know it!
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be up there spotting targets and dodging Migs before you know it!
Nige

Great! I will start up work on my F-4 then. Better get some bombs ready for those targets
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:02 PM UTC
Fellas, I'm so tempted to throw in a Tamiya 1/48 USN Douglas Skyaider in here as well. Decisions....decisions..... :-) :-)
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
I started doing some of my Mig 17 today mainly painting but hoping to start construction tomorrow.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fellas, I'm so tempted to throw in a Tamiya 1/48 USN Douglas Skyaider in here as well. Decisions....decisions..... :-) :-)

Come on. Do it. You know you want to :-) :-)

@Camogirl: I am really looking forward to see that one take shape. It has some very cool camouflage.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC
Ok then.......say hello to VA-145 The Swordsmen!

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:54 PM UTC
With the amount of close support aircraft getting built that FAC Bird Dog is gonna be busy!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With the amount of close support aircraft getting built that FAC Bird Dog is gonna be busy!

Yeah, maybe it will just have to mark the friendly troops and we will have enough firepower to erase everything around them

@Lucky13: great choice! What load do you want to give it? Like in the picture?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, maybe it will just have to mark the friendly troops and we will have enough firepower to erase everything around them

@Lucky13: great choice! What load do you want to give it? Like in the picture?

How do you feel about this load? Might put two 2.75 FFAR rockets pods on as well....*big grin*
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:59 PM UTC
This is slightly off-topic, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone got any info on what IS used for marking targets? I understand they are smoke "rockets" but are they fired from a standard rocket launcher or is it a specific device? I have tried to research this in the past but keep drawing a blank.

Cheers
Wiz
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is slightly off-topic, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone got any info on what IS used for marking targets? I understand they are smoke "rockets" but are they fired from a standard rocket launcher or is it a specific device? I have tried to research this in the past but keep drawing a blank.

Cheers
Wiz

I think smoke rockets and white phosperous rockets were used. Other types might also be used. You can see the reference picture I have previously posted in this tread. I believe it is white phosperous rockets on the wing, but I might be wrong

@lucky13: That is an awesome load out. I would not like to be on the receiving end
Obiwan3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:51 PM UTC
Absolutely correct. We carried Willy Petes in a couple of launchers on the F-4 Fast Facs. Seven rockets per LAU-7 (I think that's the right nomenclature. I should remenber, I was an Weapons Officer). Two LAUs per jet on the inboard pylons. Good daytime marks. Tne 2.75 inch Folding Fin Aerial Rockets were a PITA, though. Sometimes one fin didn't deploy. Didn't know where it was heading after that. Wild rocket!
Sorry for carrying on & getting off topic.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutely correct. We carried Willy Petes in a couple of launchers on the F-4 Fast Facs. Seven rockets per LAU-7 (I think that's the right nomenclature. I should remenber, I was an Weapons Officer). Two LAUs per jet on the inboard pylons. Good daytime marks. Tne 2.75 inch Folding Fin Aerial Rockets were a PITA, though. Sometimes one fin didn't deploy. Didn't know where it was heading after that. Wild rocket!

Don't be silly Obiwan3! Information and stories like that are ALWAYS welcome. Right fellas?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Got some construction done on the Mig today. I had to use a tiny amount of filler between the metal nose ring and the front of the fuselage the rest of it went together like a dream with no gaps or problems. Just need to mask the canopy then its ready for priming. Looking forward to doing the camo.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers
Wiz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think smoke rockets and white phosperous rockets were used. Other types might also be used. You can see the reference picture I have previously posted in this tread. I believe it is white phosperous rockets on the wing, but I might be wrong

The busiest Bird Dog in the 'nam reporting!
I beleve that sometimes the Bird Dog spotters called in the artillery strikes themselves using map coordinates and then visually corrected the aiming from where they observed the salvoes landing.

Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't be silly Obiwan3! Information and stories like that are ALWAYS welcome. Right fellas?

I agree. Very nice to get some info directly from vets who were there. Gives another dimension to modelling.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 01:04 AM UTC
Keep your heads down fellas, this is how low I'll be going when I'm done!
:-)
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got some construction done on the Mig today. I had to use a tiny amount of filler between the metal nose ring and the front of the fuselage the rest of it went together like a dream with no gaps or problems. Just need to mask the canopy then its ready for priming. Looking forward to doing the camo.

Wow! Thats coming together quick. Nice work.
Are you using the camo and decals from the box art by chance......cos it might change what version I do

H
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 03:52 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the replies, especially Obiwan3 for sharing his personal experience. I agree with Lucky13 as well and for me part of taking part in these campaigns is to learn some history not just modelling skills.

@Camogirl - the MIG is looking good so far. Looks like the North might get contol of the air ...for the moment!

Cheers
Wiz
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 06:25 PM UTC
Here's something for you to do people, just for fun and I need help with it as well..... Come up with some ideas for the writing on the bomb for the Skyraider.....

Like, I don't know "Sit on it!"?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 06:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! Thats coming together quick. Nice work.
Are you using the camo and decals from the box art by chance......cos it might change what version I do

H

I was going to do the camo and decals from the box art as this is what drew me to the kit. I saw the camo and thought it would be an intresting scheme to have a go at.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's something for you to do people, just for fun and I need help with it as well..... Come up with some ideas for the writing on the bomb for the Skyraider.....

Like, I don't know "Sit on it!"?

Well, this one is based on one from the first Gulf war: "Dear Ho Chi Mihn, this is to you for making my father leave home for so long"

Others:
"Death from above"
"This is for George"
"Let freedom ring with a bombblast!"
"Commie killer" This text I saw on the barrel of an M1 tank.
"WAR!" seen on a helicopter pilots helmet. Actually also used by DML in one of their figure sets.
"Make war, not love"
"300 lb of happiness"
"Avenger"

That is what I could come up with just now.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was going to do the camo and decals from the box art as this is what drew me to the kit. I saw the camo and thought it would be an intresting scheme to have a go at.

Ha ha that's cool, I'll change mine as you got there first :-)
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:57 PM UTC
Samantha and Howard..... Here's some F-100 Super Sabre stuff for you to enjoy....

And HERE you have an "official website to the F-100 Super Sabre with gallery and walkaround....