Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Vietnam War Campaign" - Official Thread
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hi everybody

This is the official tread for the Vietnam war campaign.

I was planning to wait with starting the official tread until the campaigns were up and running. However, since we do not really know how long that will take, I thought I might go ahead anyway and start them up with the details of the campaign in the first post.

Let me know if you are ready for some fighting in sunny Vietnam

I will be running this campaign with some help from Nigel. Here are the general rules of the campaign:

Operational overview
The Vietnam War spanned a long time period from the first French skirmishes in 1946 to the final communist victory in 1975. During this 30 year period technology developed rapidly during the course of the war to solve new and unique problems encountered by US and French forces on the ground. Development ranged from the first WWII vintage French fighters strafing the jungle to the laser guided bombs of the F-4 Phantom IIs taking out bridges in the North.
The conflict in Vietnam saw the use of the helicopter on a mass scale for the first time both as a transport and as a gunship. The aircraft used in the conflict ranged from the small FAC spotter aircraft to the massive B-52. The air forces in North Vietnam used advanced MiG fighters to intercept and engage US aircraft bombing key targets in North Vietnam.

Rules and Regulations
This campaign is supposed to concern all aircraft used in the Vietnam conflict from 1946 to 1975. The aircraft could be from any country participating in the Vietnam War.
To qualify the aircraft must have been used in Vietnam and should be represented in the camouflage and markings that were used in Vietnam. For example a MiG-21 should be in North Vietnamese camouflage and markings, not East German.
Due to the long time span of the conflict and the various assignments undertaken by especially the US air force, US marines, US Navy, and US Army the aircraft that can be build are almost endless.
Here are some examples of planes that would fit into this campaign:
F8F Bearcat
Spitfire F.IX
C-47
F-105 Thunderchief
B-52 Stratofortress
AC-130 Gunship
UH-1 Huey
CH-47 Chinook
F-4 Phantom II
MiG-17
MiG-19
MiG-21
Douglas A-1 Skyraider
A-4 Skyhawk

But remember all should be in camouflage and markings from the Vietnam conflict.

There are many more airplanes that qualify than the above examples. If you have any doubts, just ask.

Dioramas and figures are welcome. All scales are fine.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:39 PM UTC
Anyone know who makes the best Thud(Wild Weasel type) in 1:48 or 1:72? I really dont fancy trying to complete the 1:32 Trumpeter bird in time. Not with so many other things on the go.

Lee
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:19 PM UTC
I have seen a model in 1/72 many years ago, but that is probably out of production now. I cannot remeber if it was an Airfix kit. (?)

Revell also made/makes a 1/72 F-105D Thunderchief, kit no. 4363

Hasegawa also used to make one, kit. no. js-014, but that is probably out of production.

However, I know that Trumpeter will release both the D and G version in 1/72. When that will happen I do not know, but it should not be toooo long I hope.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hi Jesper,

I just noticed the Trumpeter ones myself. I'm also tempted to have a go at their 1:48 Vigilante as I'm currently doing the 1:72 one.

There are lots of after-market decal options for the 1:48 Vigilante but I cant find any for the 1:72 version and the ones that come with the kit aren't Vietnam era.

Cheers,

Lee
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi Lee, Revell is about to release a 1/48 F-105G, God knows when though....
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi Jan, yep, noticed that one too - might be nice if its a new kit but it will probably be another 30 year old re-box

Revell have LOTS of other manufacturers kits inside their boxes - here's a tip for you. Read the side of the box and see where its made.

Korea - probably Accurate Miniatures
Japan - Hasegawa
Italy - Italeri
Russia - Zvezda
Poland - I believe thats their own stuff these days
China - Dragon
USA - Monogram

To a lesser extent Italeri do this too - I just bought their B-25 in 1:48 £10 cheaper than the Accurate Miniatures one but the exact same kit. The real bargains are the Revell ones 'made in Japan' :-) :-) :-)

Lee
Obiwan3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:07 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

You can add the F-102 & F-104 to your list of A/C. And some were camouflaged. They flew out of DaNang, RVN & Udorn RTAFB, Thailand.

Plus the "Last Gunfighter", the F-8 Crusader, off assorted USS Boats in the Tonkin Gulf.

Obiwan
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:29 PM UTC
Can I come and play too? I've an 1/48 F-8J from Hasegawa....
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:30 AM UTC
Welcome onboard one and all!
Jan...about time you got started on something! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
Such a long timespan of the conflict gives a huge amount of scope for different types of aircraft.
Im really looking forward to seeing a wide variety of aircraft on the campaign trail.
hopefully the official campaign page will be up soon and people can start to enlist properly.
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I come and play too? I've an 1/48 F-8J from Hasegawa....

Sure, as long as the F-8J version was used in Vietnam. I am not entirely sure on the J version being used in Vietnam, but it was in service with the US Navy at the time, so probably flew in the Vietnam war.

Welcome on board
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
I shall build a Thud or a Phantom for the campaign. They are the 2 aircraft that always remind me of the Vietnam War.
Anyone fancy building a 1/48 Boeing B-52 Stratofortress :-) :-) .
Andy
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Andy,

I did think about a 1:144 scale B-52 but I recal building Monograms 1:72 effort as a kid and it seemed to be far to big to handle. Who on earth has got enough space for a 1:48 BUFF?

For me its got to be something in the two green/brown camo - Either an F-4, an A-7D or the 104G - Just not sure I want to tackle a 1:32 scale kit due time restraints and getting hold of some of these kits in smaller scale seems quite difficult.

If I do go 1:32 it will probably be the A-7D as its the smallest and cheapest of the three (especially at trade prices :-) :-) :-) )

Lee
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy,
Who on earth has got enough space for a 1:48 BUFF?
Lee

Well if you get rid of the settee it would make a nice center piece for the lounge floor :-) :-).
Andy
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:23 AM UTC
Just remembered the post 'Revell news 2007' so I quickly had a look and - yep the 'new' F-105G is going to be a reboxed Monogram and even then its not out until July (Read September....). So unless I can get a 1:48 F-4C then its the Trumpeter 1:32 A-7D for me!

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC
Just found this link of American and Enemy aircraft used in Vietnam. May be helpful, or totally change your mind on what to build, as I'm now thinking about a F-100 Super Sabre :-) .
Andy
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
Interesting link Andy - there are loads of aircraft on there that I never knew made it in time. Hmm perhaps the RF-4C then..... Ow, now look what you've gone and done :-)
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hi all!

I´m signing up on this Campaign too!

I´m not so sure what to build yet tough.

I have a A-7E in 1/32, but that´s half way trough by now so that will not be accepted as a Campaign build.

But I have some to choose from;

F-4E Phantom II, In the SEA-Cammo, Hasegawa 1/48
MiG-17/ -19 or -21, All NMF, All Trumpeter 1/32

Today I realized that almost 1/3rd of all kits in my stash are from this time-period!
Much too much to choose from, I want to build ém all! :-)

Looking forward to this Campaign!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC
I'll try to participate in between the Tomcat Campaign and the tankbusting one.

My choice will either be the Tamiya 1/48 A-1 Skyraider or the Revell A-37 Dragonfly (if I can find some detail sets for it)
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC
Oh nice!!!! May I include myself with a AT-28 Trojan? May be South Vietnamese airforce....
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For me its got to be something in the two green/brown camo - Either an F-4, an A-7D or the 104G - Just not sure I want to tackle a 1:32 scale kit due time restraints and getting hold of some of these kits in smaller scale seems quite difficult.

If I do go 1:32 it will probably be the A-7D as its the smallest and cheapest of the three (especially at trade prices :-) :-) :-) )

Lee

Yeah, that camo is really nice. I will build a F-4 Phantom II in that camo. I will take the chance and try to airbrush it freehand
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just found this link of American and Enemy aircraft used in Vietnam. May be helpful, or totally change your mind on what to build, as I'm now thinking about a F-100 Super Sabre :-) .
Andy

Great link! Thanks for sharing! So many nice airplanes to do, so little time.

@Stefan: What about some of those MIGs? It seems like we are all on the South Vietnamese/US side so far

@Allen: Hope you will have time to participate. Both planes you suggest are really nice. Especially the dragonfly that has always struck me as very unique in its form.

@Yalim: You are most welcome. I am counting on you and your AT-28
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Allen: Hope you will have time to participate. Both planes you suggest are really nice. Especially the dragonfly that has always struck me as very unique in its form.

Well the Tomcat campaign isn't starting until the 1st Feb so at least that gives me a head start.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
Im doing the Tomcat campaign and the Actung Jabo campaign on armorama but there is a 1/72 hasegawa Mig 17 kicking around at work in need of a good home so im sure i'll be able to do it in the timescale so count me in.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, that camo is really nice. I will build a F-4 Phantom II in that camo. I will take the chance and try to airbrush it freehand

Jesper, try using long rolled strips of blu-tac as your camo edge (fill in the bits in the middle with tape). It gives a cracking semi-soft edge to the camo and you can adjust the level of softness by making the strips 'fatter' (for softer) or 'thinner' for harder edges. Make sure your first coat is completey cured and do not remove the blu-tac untill the next coat is completely cured.

I used it on my most recent build - a spitfire Vb trop in the 'Duel' campaign. From the distance it looks 'hard' edged but close up it looks softer - just as it should.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/87400&page=1
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:25 PM UTC
@Samantha: Welcome on board. I am also doing the Achtung JaBo campaign. The down low and the achtung JaBo campaigns complement each other nicely Good to have some support for the North :-)

@Lee: thanks for the advise. I have not tried that before, so maybe I could try it out on my Phantom II.