Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P51 campaign proposal for 2010
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
Making steady progress on the little Mustang. All the putty has dried and has been sanded out. All panel lines are gone and the fuselage and wings are primed. Just painted the interior of the clear parts black. Once the canopy is died in place, I'll mask and paint the framing and the rest of the plane. More to follow. "Q"

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC
Painting the inside of the canopy black is a great idea for kits like this one. IIRC, the 'cockpit' was a pair of pegs you glued the pilot's butt to. One of the reasons I got rid of this one...
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
There is just a peg to mount the seat to and that's it. I have/had several kits that are along the same lines with minimal interior details. I figure with it hanging from the ceiling, there won't be much chance to really critique it. lol.. All the other featureless interior kits I got will meet the same fate. "Q"
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Matt, how much putty did it take to fill in the gear doors?

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 04:03 PM UTC
It isn't all lost yet:

Primer is on, cockpit is painted, just have to get the silver on..

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, how much putty did it take to fill in the gear doors? Bob

Hi Bob. Not much at all. It did take three applications as I kept finding low spots, but the Tamiya basic putty dries pretty quick so things moved along well. I finished masking the canopy in preparation for painting soon. Should be able to do that tomorrow. Thanks again for the question. "Q"
Removed by original poster on 01/08/11 - 11:23:59 (GMT).
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
Here's the links to my gallery with my progress of my P-51. I haven't got any more time to waste trying to figure out how to post pics on here.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/351517/ppuser/32734
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/351518/ppuser/32734
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/351519/ppuser/32734
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/351520/ppuser/32734

thanks
Mike
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 03:19 PM UTC
Cool a late comer !

I look forward to your take on the old Monogram kit , Matthew

nice to see that you haven't toss in the towel Mark , looking good so far

Mike , which detail set are you using ? Nice progress so far by the way
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 10:39 PM UTC
Ok guys, this F-82 is taking waaaaaaaay too much time, a lot more than it deserves, so I have made an executive decision to speed things up.

There will be no stores or drop tanks, and the undercarriage will be up. I spent another couple of hours today filling and sanding, and I think by the end of tomorrow night I might even be ready to put some black undercoat on it !!

I had a play with the canopy today, in scale terms it is about 12 inches thick and guess what ? The fit is shocking. What a surprize !!

I have had a stern word with the decals, and if they even hint at misbehaving they will be cremated with no hesitation and some "What-If" decals from the spares library will be glad to replace them.

Wish me luck, I think I'm gunna need it !!
Griffon65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi everyone. I feel that I must extend my apologies to everyone here because it seems that I won't be able to submit anything for this campeign before the due date. University, the weather (it's been raining here almost constantly for the past month) and being side-tracked by other interests all seem to have contributed to this, but I'm also finding it hard to get back into the hobby as I am starting from scratch and I don't have too much money to play with.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something at least started within the next month, but it won't be in time for this campaign I don't think.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 02:40 AM UTC
D, so who am I to say "told ya so" My hat is off to you for getting as far as you have. What scheme are going for?
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi

Thanks Terri, the detail set is the Eduard colour Zoom etch. I used colour Zoom etch on my recent HEIII build and was impressed with it, so I thought I'd give it a go on a couple of fighters. I'm doing a RAF Thunderbolt Mk II with coloud Zoom etch at the moment as well.

thanks
Mike
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 11:23 AM UTC
My little Monogram P-51 is about complete. I need to let the prop/spinner dry and then add decals. After that the canopy masking can come off and she can take her place in the skies above my basement with the others. I got the silver shot yesterday, added the panel lines, anti-glare panel and decals today. I should be able to close this little thing out later tonight. Will post the completed pics in the gallery at that time. "Q"
Panel lines sprayed in....

Decals...I now know why they were so cheap...they SUCK. Did not want to lay down even with Solvaset. Had to use a hair dryer and future along with continuous prodding...

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
@ Matt: that isjust waaaaaaaaaaay! too pretty for a 1/72 speed build bird.

@ Damain: how about a truthful review for everyone to really know the virtures of this kit ( and name the maker )

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:11 PM UTC
Thanks Bob. Things went faster than I had thought they would waiting for the prop/spinner to dry. By the time I got back over to my bench from posting the last message, it was dry. Sooo, she's done and hanging with the others. Two completions in a day. Will post the completed pic in the gallery shortly. For an old kit, it was fun to tweak and play with it. "Q"

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 01:20 PM UTC
Matt, that looks great!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Thanks Adam, much appreciated. "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 03:31 PM UTC
Matt, Looks really good. It's amazing what can be done with a lot of care and patience one these old kits.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 07:58 PM UTC
That ceiling must be getting full by now Q...
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 10:03 PM UTC
Ok guys, I got to the point of near enough is good enough on this build, so today it got PAINT !! Don't get too excited, it's primer at this stage, but it's a major step forward since we only have a couple of weeks to go.

Here's how I mask the inside of my canopies, and it gives something to hold them as well, old business cards and blue-tac . . . .

Here are a couple of views waiting for the airbrush to get loaded up . . .

And here it is as it stands tonight . . . . .

Please don't look too closely, there's a bucketload of points where the Alclad is going to yell at me, but I just don't have the time or the inclination to go any further with this one.

Tomorrow will see Reg's very first "Alclad Adventure", who knows how that episode will end ??

Cheers, D
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
Damian you made it! Wish I had your power and will. Seems like it was worth it, the twins look great.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC
D, that thing looks great in the pictures I think you have done a tremendous job on it. My hat's off to you
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
Looking good Damian. When I am working on something that I know isn't going to be my best work, whether it is due to the kit, or something I just don't feel like dealing with....I keep this phrase in mind.."Finished is better than perfect". Looking forward to seeing your Twin-Stang finished. Keep at it. "Q"
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:49 AM UTC
D that is looking the business, despite the hard time your giving yourself over it, I reckon you'll get a great sense of satisfaction when you finally beat it into submission.

Ok, I'm done with my entry,
This is the 1:48th Tamiya "staff car" boxing built straight out of the box with the only addition being some Eduard seat belts.
Red band, checkerboard nose, prop band all painted on.
National markings and squadron code letters painted on using Miracle Masks supplied by Mal (Holdfast)
Only decals are the noseart/horses on the rudder/kill markings/stencils.

GREAT campaign Terri!
Lets do it again soon

SPAM CANS In Heaven II
Nige