Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P51 campaign proposal for 2010
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:45 AM UTC
Well, got some decals on my Christmas present to my friend. However, some of the smaller decals, like the propeller data markings wouldn't come off the decal paper!! Yikes! I looked at the decals and it said 1992 on them. I don't know if that means the decal sheet was almost 20 years old or not? Oh well. She's coming along. Take a look one and all. Russell

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
Terri, really nice looking Mustang. Do you like the olive drab over neutral grey better than the natural metal? I know one thing, natural metal sure shows every flaw. It seems to magnify them in fact! Russell
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:04 PM UTC
@ Russell: I love the OD over any other color, I guess it goes back to my childhood and being impressed by all of those a/c kits and as you mentioned the effort of NMF on an a/c. BTW thse decals went down really well on the tail surfaces good job.

Bob
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 10:39 PM UTC
Looks great, Russell. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the old decals. One has to love those checkered tails. I always wanted to make one of those tails on a P-40, P-47, or P-51. Looks great.

Nice build, Terri. Looks very good.

Here is my finished P-51 in Korean war markings. The Mustangs were used for low level close support and was loaded up with heavy ordnance. I just could not resist that shark mouth and had to use the kit decals. Overall a very easy build with very few problems. Sorry the pictures are not that clear. I cannot take pictures outside this time of year - too much snow and almost no daylight.
I am pretty satisfied with the result and had fun while building it. Just what the hobby is all about

It has been a great campaign to follow - looking forward to see more builds before the campaign closes.

Comments welcome

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:03 AM UTC
Beautiful work Jesper! What a great looking Mustang. Thanks for sharing! Russell
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
I've decided what scheme I'd like my P-51 finished in for the campaign, BUT, it all depends on whether I can manage to mask and paint the red band successfully.
Heres an image lifted from the Tamiya site.

The kit comes with painting masks for the OD/NMF demarcation line and decals for the red band, but I'm hopefully going to be painting this.
If I mess it up, then I'm just going to strip the paint off and go for a different scheme.
Fingers crossed it works out.
Nige
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
@ Jesper: nice TEETH on that Korean version, wish my dentures looked as good nice weathering also.

@ Nige: Good luck on the stripe hope it turns out how you wish.

For all, I just put in a bid on an Airfix 1/48 P-51. Does anyone have any experiance with this kit?

Bob
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC
Okay guys and gals, it's done. The first 1/32 scale model I've built in three years. It was fun but I still love my 1/72 scale the best! This is a Christmas gift for an army pilot about my age, mid forties, who loved the P-51. Hope he likes it. It is also my entry into this campaign. Enjoy looking one and all. Russell

TreborYarg1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi all,
There are some excellent builds here now, Shangri la is my fave, it just looks superb well done, great job.
My 1/32 B twin seat conversion is coming on fine but unfortunately it looks like i'll have to pull out of this GB. I really wanted that ribbon but still struggling to get pics uploaded onto here, and as it is a stipulation of the rules that I do so I dont have any choice but to withdraw, sorry, but frustration has got the better of me. Hope you all finish on time, I'll still come in and have a look at the progress.

Rob.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi Robert. I just took a quick peek at your gallery, the twin seat conversion is looking sweet mate.

There's a pic, rules adhered to, you're back in !!

1: Go to your gallery and click on the pic you want to post in the thread.
2: Beneath the pic is "Linked Thumbnail"
3: To the right of the "Linked Thumbnail" is a small brown square icon, click that and a "HTML Code" will appear beneath
4: Copy/paste the "HTML Code" into your forum post
5: Hit the bench and finish the job !!

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments on my Korean War P-51, guys. Appreciate it.

Nice finish, Russell. I am sure it will be a great gift for your army pilot friend.

Nige, very ambitious project, but you have made very nice masks before, so why not try this one.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC
Terri, great job on the "B" Pony boss lady, it looks really good considering the decal issues you have described. One question though, did you forget the lens on the front of the port wing ?

Jesper, beautiful job on the Korean Pony mate. The weathering looks great and it's literally armed to the teeth !! (sry)

Russell, you have done a really nice job on the chequertail bird, and it will make a great gift for your friend.

Nige, might be worth making some scale drawings from the instructions and cutting the shape of the OD and NMF along the red stripe to make some masks. I'm sure you will do a great job on a cool scheme.

As for me, I'm plodding along still filling gaps and saving money for the 10 litres of putty I'm gunna need for this pig of a kit.

Cheers, D
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige, might be worth making some scale drawings from the instructions and cutting the shape of the OD and NMF along the red stripe to make some masks

Hi D.
The kit comes with mask templates which I used as a guide. The actual demarcation lines Ive done with thin Tamiya tape.
Going well so far, all masked up and just got to paint the stripe!

Nige
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:07 AM UTC
I opened the box up again to my project after school ended and started taking stock of what had been done then I dry fitted the canopy to the fuselage this canopy is worse than the old AMT kits. I now need to get a Squadron set before I can finish the build, the kit supplied will not fit the fuselage opening or sit down without squeezing it in at the fuselage sides then it will not match the top and the rear viewing ports or in no way the shape of the fuselage openings. Maybe I should go over to Damians and let him help me since his efforts have produced such good results with that dog (that now is looking really good) Oh my kit is Revell's P-51B/C no.85-5256

Bob
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Deep breath and off with the masking............

Yep..I like it!

Nige
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Nice job Nige, clean edges and good color. I can remember when Revell had that scheme on their 1/72 P-51 kit back in the 1960's the scheme scared me from attempting it. Again good job on a tough subject.

Bob
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hey Nige, I'm not sure that shade of red is quite deep enough, I think you should mask it up again and have another go

Seriously good job mate, excellent work !!

Cheers. D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
Geez, a couple of months in and I'm almost done filling and sanding on my P-51. Then D pos up and shows us how its done. Then Nige slams the door on a NMF finish. Maybe I should just send this one on a suicide mission to the trash bin.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:40 PM UTC
Thanks D ! I must say though , you have a good eye my friend ( are you spying on me here !!!!! ???? ) I didn't even notice that it was left off . Will have to find the part now .........

Nigel , nigel what are we going to do with you , most excellent job on the masking . Stripes are never easy to do the best of times and you have nailed it on both sides ! Well done

Be postive Mark ! We have faith in you , don't we guy's
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC
Mark, dont throw it in the trash just put it away for awhile then come back to it with a new outlook. Works every time buddy.

Bob
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 06:22 PM UTC
Nige, the camo is excellent. Like a real sportcar.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments
I must admit I was expecting to be stripping the paint off this and going for another scheme so I was really pleased when the masking turned out ok.
Still plenty of opportunity to c*$k it up though!
I suppose I'd better get on and finish it now,,
Nige
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
The next update, will be the last

Cheers Nick
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Slow progress but getting there.
I've decided to go the whole hog and paint the checkerboard on the nose, yellow/green band on the prop hub, and get some Miracle Masks for the squadron codes and national markings so this'll slow me down but it'll be worth it when its finished.

Nige
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:10 PM UTC
Nige and Nick those are most impressive birds guys good job.