Build Review Zvezda Junkers Ju-88A4 1/72
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice, Terri. I have to admit, like James, I was very apprehensive about trying Zvezda's aircraft kits. I've tried a couple of their armor offerings, and was less than impressed. But this kit doesn't seem all that bad. You're starting to mention fit issues in your last couple of posts. Are these something an "intermediate" modeler could handle? Or, would you recommend this for a more advanced modeler?...Or should I just wait for you to finish your review?

Great job so far. After your P-51 in the Checkerboard campaign, and now the Ju-88 review, maybe we're luring you over to the WWII darkside.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike The fit issues are very minor and this would be a good kit for the beginner and for the more advance builders , well they can go just nut's with details on the after market stuff .
I like the kit . The fit has been great through out the build minus a few parts here , other then that really no filler was used and when I did the excess was remover with acetone . The wheel wells was my own doing so I really can't give a false answer , but the way the rest has gone so far . I would say the fit is good maybe with a little clean up if needed .

I will always have a passion for WW 1 aircraft first !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

Doing a great job! We need more reviews like this, there're so many kits of unknown quality in the market, this helps focus sparse modeling dollars. When I saw the Zvezda name, I assumed it would be another horrible Eastern European / Russian kit. The plastic looks really good, I might consider them for a future plane.

I feel your pain on sprue / spruce. I tend to write my posts in Word (I'm a lousy speller) and it HATES sprue / sprues.

I agree , we do need more build reviews online of the unknown ones as well as others kit's .
I think you would be happy with this one . It has just the right amount of surface detail and the landing gear is super . The cockpit does lack the detail though , which is alright , but the glass is super clear ! So I'm glad I added seat belt's . Which I forgot to paint ! Another area to concider for adding detail is the wheel wells , there is now . Not much can be seen any way . It has been enjoyble so far . Just wondering how the decals are going to be ..........

Whoo mi sbell bad
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 06:45 PM UTC
It's very good until now

The real challenge is is the canopy masking & painting

Cheers Nick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's very good until now

The real challenge is is the canopy masking & painting

Cheers Nick

Thanks Nick Masking the canopy will be easy , bare metal foil will be used for this . In most case I hand paint them , but it would be faster using the foil method .
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
Is it done yet...

OK, how about now?...now?...
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it done yet...

OK, how about now?...now?...

Nope not yet , but I do have an up-date on some progress . The maskingof the canopy is done . Bomb racks glued in place and the wheel halves joined and cleaned up as well . I'm ready for primer now which will be the base coat of light blue . I hope to this started this weekend .

More to follow soon ......
tmeyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
Looks, great, Terri! Looking forward to more pictures and info!!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC
Thanks Tom ! I do have some pic's for you all .

In the instructions the under side is called for USSR pale blue . For this I went with Tamiya light blue . I was going to use RLM 65 but don't have any in stock . The top side calls for two colours , french khaki and dark green . The first coat sprayed I used Testors Model Master enamels RLM 70 schwarzgrun . This will take a few days before this dry enough to spray the RLM 71 dunkel grun . Again using Testors Model Master enamels . Repair work on the spine turned out not to bad , but ended up having to cover up the fan type thingy and lost it's detail . Panel lines have been re-scribed .

The instructions also call for the landing gear struts to be painted olive drab ? I question this for from what I can recall they should be RLM 02 . Which I still need to paint .

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:25 PM UTC
Looks good so far!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC
Very slick, Terri- that last pic is testimony to your skills.

Cheers!
chuk
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The instructions also call for the landing gear struts to be painted olive drab ? I question this for from what I can recall they should be RLM 02 .

Yep, you're right and Zvesda's wrong.

It looks really good so far Terri.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
Thanks guy's , very cool of you all

Chuck , it was a little frustrating with the sanding and filling , sand some more and fill some more . Rest of the kit has gone together so well . The gunners pod I had some trouble with and still have to go back and re-touch up a few spots other then that it is an excellent kit .
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC
Good job Terri, it's pleasure to watch your build.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC
It's great

Isn't it better than WWI ??

Cheers Nick
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi Terri

Nice going. Are you sure that's RLM 70? - it looks incredibly pale if it is (more like RLM 02...). Hopefully it's just a trick of the light...

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:47 AM UTC
Thanks Michal

Hi Nick , better then WW 1 you ask me . Nope , WW 1 aircraft will always rule ! But there is nothing wrong with building other subjects
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nick , better then WW 1 you ask me . Nope , WW 1 aircraft will always rule ! But there is nothing wrong with building other subjects

I'm just kidding, not asking

Keep going!

Cheers Nick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri

Nice going. Are you sure that's RLM 70? - it looks incredibly pale if it is (more like RLM 02...). Hopefully it's just a trick of the light...

All the best

Rowan

Hi Rowan , I went and doubled check to make sure I used the right paint . I haven't applied the RLM 70 yet . In the pic's above it is RLM 71 and yes it does seem a little on the pale side doesn't it . It looks fine under my hobby bench light so it could be from the lighting that I used in the kitchen . By tomorrow I should be able to spray the RLM 70 . We have been having lot's of moisture in the air and it's taking a little long for the enamels to dry . I was going to use Tamiya paints but I didn't really like their shades for the colours which were called for and mixing paints isn't one of my strong points .
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi Terri

That's a relief. If you're having trouble with slow drying enamels, is there a product like Rustin's Driers in Canada? Just a drop or two (or you can use it as thinners) dramatically reduces drying time.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:49 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan , I have heard of a product called Japan drier which I think is on the same line as the product you posted a link for and I can get that here in Canada . Since I don't use enamels very often what is the shelf life of this product ?

I have started the masking for the RLM 70 and will have pic's up of this soon ....
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hi Terri

I've used the same bottle of Driers for years with no problems.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri

I've used the same bottle of Driers for years with no problems.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks again Rowan . For the amount that I use oils which isn't very often it's nice to know that the product will keep over time .

I did spray the RLM 70 last night but run into some trouble .....when removing the masking tape I had paint lift in a few spots not much just in a few areas . Before I do anything with this I will have pic's up tomorrow when the sun is out and I'm home to snap a few shots .

The painting guide in the instructions is a little vage on the right wing , for it only shows half of it and the side profile is only of the left side . So when doing the masking for the right side of the fuselage one will have to either check their ref's or just wing it .

Looking at this in the view of a first time builder , this would leave confusion and be a little frustrating in the end .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
Good day everyone !

Here the results of the paint lifting in a few areas . I don't think I will strip it back , but use this as an advantage for some weathering . I don't believe the paint was fully dried yet when this happened or the damage would have much worse . Over the weekend I will be trying to work on finishing off the landing gear and reset of the canopy , which will be hand painted on this part .
and start the decalling ........

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Terri

Blimey! That's serious lifting, especially for enamel paint! Do you think there was release agent on the parts?

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
Bummer, I hate it when that happens.