Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Build Review Zvezda Junkers Ju-88A4 1/72
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hi Guy's this will be my build review on this kit . It will be out of the box following the kit instructions for assembly and painting .

In side the box you will find 3 spruce of light grey plastic parts and one spruce of the clear parts which come in their own separate box ! Typical fold out instructions with parts map with construction being done in 17 steps . The detail is very nice with engraved panel lines and beautiful under carriage legs and tail wheel . The cockpit has fair detail to it , but very plan IMO even for this scale .

I have started the assemly of the cockipt and will have pic's up soon when the painting is finished .

More to come ...............
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 01:43 PM UTC
Terry, its nice to see you building outside of your WW1 realm (which you model beautifully BTW). I look forward to your review/build.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
i have been very aprehensive about picking up Zvezda kits, and only found out about the Aircraft kits a few days ago, this kit does look good, the canopy looks good and the details look crisp, looking forward to it
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC

the recent Zvezda La-5 looked fantastic - this one not far off I doubt...will be checking in again here Terri 1
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks Shawn , every once and while it's nice to build an aircraft from WW 2 . Oh yeah , it's Terri with an i please

James , I think you will like the kit keep watching for up-dates

Speaking of up-dates here are some pic's with the cockpit done up according the the painting guide in the instrutions . I did paint cushions on the seats to give a little more life . No dails or details on the instrument panel , but a decal is supplied for this . Not the greatest , but it does fit the part and will not be all that visible once the glass is in place . In step 2 , it calls to glue part E9 , howerver ; this was left off do to it interfering with the side walls and not getting the fuselage halves to join . Tail wheel is in place and some of it painted , the rest will be done at a later date .

There is lot's of room to add the extra detail to cockpit . I was going to add seatbelts , but this is to be out of box and i don't want to take away from that . Any way here are some pic's

There are a lot of injector pin marks which need to be filled , I didn't do that for they will not be seen once the halves are glued together and the canopy fixed in place

More to follow tomorrow
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
In your first post I think you meant sprue rather than spruce (unless this kit is a wooden kit) and plane rather than plan

Looking good so far Terri as for the seat belts I would still install some even if it is OOB after all this would be one of the cons of the kit in your review
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In your first post I think you meant sprue rather than spruce (unless this kit is a wooden kit) and plane rather than plan

Looking good so far Terri as for the seat belts I would still install some even if it is OOB after all this would be one of the cons of the kit in your review

Thanks Sam , I didn't read afterwards and missed that ! I think you are right about the seat belts , but I feel if I add these items it is no longer out of box . On a plus side though , i could make them from the instruction sheet . It's in the box and part of the kit
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
There you go OOB
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 06:36 AM UTC
Ms. Terri with a WW2 kit!!

Good luck with Your Ju-88

Cheers Nick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks Nick !

I have another up-date with some progress . The tail and rudder have been added as well as the wings . with a very good fit I might add . Just a little filler is needed on the rudder on the left side , but this could have been my doing when cleaning up the part . I was very impressed with the fit of the wing root since this sit's basical flush with the fuselage with a small mounting tab . just some clean up with a sanding stick and repolish . I didn't get a good fit on the spine of the fuselage just aft on the cockpit and will need just a dap of filler to correct this .

One does have to take care when fitting the wing parts together each side comes in four halves but the break falls on a panel line making this easier for assemble . The trailing edges of the wings would benefit from some sanding to get a better razors edge on them .

lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC
looks good althougth the office oob does look bare, but your doing a nice job so far, much neater than any of my kits, and the rest of the deets dont look bad atall
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC
Well done Terri! I hope to see it finished soon.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
Keep going Ms. Terri

Cheers Nick
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
Thanks guy's , I did some work on her tonight cleaning up the landing gear and other various parts of the engine nacelles . Pic's up of this later .....I did have some fit troubles and frustration was kicking in so it was time to call it a night before things got way out of control .

But it's time for some cherry jello to make things all better again
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
I agree, Terri with an I. Ha ha It's like Russell with two ll's. I enjoy seeing you build outside your WW1 stuff, which I would like to get into but am still afraid of rigging bi-planes. I guess I could build a Fokker D VII, which didn't have any rigging I think, or a Fokker DR I which had little rigging. I would like to build an SE 5 one of my favorite aircraft of WW1 and makes a starring role in the movie Zeppelin with Michael York I believe. Russell
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:38 PM UTC
Hi Terri

Nice going! I must admit I did a double-take when I realised you were building a WW2 beastie! This would be a good thread to turn into a Full-Build Review when you've finished.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
Thanks Russell , don't fear the WW 1 aircraft . Most are easy and straight forward for building , no one said you have to rigg them

That's the plan Rowan . When I ask Jim to do the review on this kit there was two reasons . # 1 I have never see Zvezda kit's here in the hobby shop so their plastic is new to me . # 2 just had to build it on line .
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
looks good Terri!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Thanks Shawn !

After having a very busy weekend and not much time to myself I was able to get the engines in place as well as the landing gear . The glass is in place and ready for masking . I will have pic's up tomorrow when my friend returns my camera , which I left at his place

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:16 PM UTC
Here are those pic's .....................

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:19 PM UTC
SWEET, looking very good
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:37 PM UTC
I did have some fit issues with the clear part on the spine .( # G11 ) It sits really high een after trimming the hole . Still have some sanding to do in this area a little more . The glass nose and canopy fit excellent ! However , the gunners pod glass parts I didn't get the greatest fit with them and bit more clean up is needed .

On the landing gear bays I did make a boo boo , a small one . Glued them on the wrog side So removing the parts and doing the clean up . I have to rescribe a few panel lines back . Soon as these touchs up are done the galss will be mask off using Bare Metal Foil and she gets her coat of primer . More to follow soon

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:39 PM UTC
Thanks Dirk !
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Very nice, Terri. I have to admit, like James, I was very apprehensive about trying Zvezda's aircraft kits. I've tried a couple of their armor offerings, and was less than impressed. But this kit doesn't seem all that bad. You're starting to mention fit issues in your last couple of posts. Are these something an "intermediate" modeler could handle? Or, would you recommend this for a more advanced modeler?...Or should I just wait for you to finish your review?

Great job so far. After your P-51 in the Checkerboard campaign, and now the Ju-88 review, maybe we're luring you over to the WWII darkside.

Cheers,
Mike
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
Terri,

Doing a great job! We need more reviews like this, there're so many kits of unknown quality in the market, this helps focus sparse modeling dollars. When I saw the Zvezda name, I assumed it would be another horrible Eastern European / Russian kit. The plastic looks really good, I might consider them for a future plane.

I feel your pain on sprue / spruce. I tend to write my posts in Word (I'm a lousy speller) and it HATES sprue / sprues.
 _GOTOTOP