Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Build Review Zvezda Junkers Ju-88A4 1/72
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
I'm sorry Terri about your problems, not that saying sorry helps you much. I know you have the experience to mend the problem though. I would remask the splinter camoflage and try and respray the color that came up. Just a thought, although weathering the aircraft, something I am a bit afraid to do, would work too. Good luck, keep us apprised. Russell
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri

Blimey! That's serious lifting, especially for enamel paint! Do you think there was release agent on the parts?

All the best

Rowan

Hi Rowan

To be honest , the parts did have their bath with a gentle srub using mild dish soap . Before I primed the model was washed agian to remove any finger prints left from handing . So it is possible that my wash job wasn't the greatest to say the least .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry Terri about your problems, not that saying sorry helps you much. I know you have the experience to mend the problem though. I would remask the splinter camoflage and try and respray the color that came up. Just a thought, although weathering the aircraft, something I am a bit afraid to do, would work too. Good luck, keep us apprised. Russell

Hi Russell , It really isn't that bad . Have had worse then this before happen on a project I did over a year ago -twice in a row ! Remasking and spraying again will not be so good , there will be a ridge left from where the paint lifted . You could light sand first and re-scrib any lost detail . It is an easy fix though and thank -you for your suggestion

As before - I will use this as an advantage for the weathering which will make good practice on these skills . Don't be afraid of the weather Russell . It is rather easy once you get the hand of it . Start with something simple , like panel line washes . Black , brown and grey pastel chalks can be use for gun powder stains , exhaust , dust . Just do what you feel is right and build on it from there
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
Landing gear is painted , just finishing off the wheels and will start the decaling on this bird tonight .

More to follow very soon
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... the parts did have their bath with a gentle srub using mild dish soap . Before I primed the model was washed agian to remove any finger prints left from handing .

Hi Terri

That is really cruel then, because you've been more thorough than I bet 90% of modellers are!

Better luck with the next stages.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 01:57 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan . Sorry guy's that there hasn't been an up date of late . I've been away for a while .
I was able to get some time in front of the bench yesterday and started with the decals . There is not alot which have to be applied . Just national markings and unit codes . The decals I must say are very well done . I didn't have to use any setting soluations they confromed to the surface very well and into the panel lines .

The exhuast I first painted Tamiya brown and once dried a shot of dull coat over top . Before this was fully dried I then used rust ( real rust ground into a fine powder ) rubing it in . Then a dry brushing of Tamiya pastels using theirr shade of rust followed with a little black and the end results are very convicing .

NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 02:41 AM UTC
It's great until now

And I don't think that it is a late update

Cheers Nick
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
Real rust! Who'd a thought. Looking good.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
Thanks Guy's , I'm at the final stage for painting the wheels and the props are almost done .

Will have pic's up over the weekend .....
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
Terri, as always, great work! Russell
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
I have had a huge mishap with the decals . After they where dried I applied a coat of future to seal them last night , giving it time to cure . Sprayed the dull coat and this is where things went wrong big time . The white band and under wing national markings decided to from millions of wrinkles But the other ones are fine . Never had this happen before .

The canopy is also another matter in it's own . After removing the bare metal foil which I used for masking , trying to remove the adhesive only made matters worse . I use the same stuff before and used Windex but now I don't know if the damage can be repaired on them .

Sorry guy's but I have made one mess out of this build and I apologise to Jim and other viewers for this thread . Here are the latest pic's so far on how things are just going so wrong with this build .

bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 436 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 06:17 PM UTC
Wow........

Terri that was a very good build until those decals self destructed on you. I don't think you have anything to appologise for, after all, I don't think anyone on this board has never had similar stuff happen. And doing it after a shot of Dull Coat is new to me....

Really liked your tip on the rust........... Remember, it was only a Ju-88...... nothing important like a 109!!!

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 07:13 PM UTC
Oh man what a bummer. Got a Fw 190 all painted up and ready to decal, but the decals exploded when I put them into water.

Wonder if the acid in the decal solution reacted with the dull coat?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow........

Terri that was a very good build until those decals self destructed on you. I don't think you have anything to appologise for, after all, I don't think anyone on this board has never had similar stuff happen. And doing it after a shot of Dull Coat is new to me....

Really liked your tip on the rust........... Remember, it was only a Ju-88...... nothing important like a 109!!!

Bob

Thanks Bob , I'm still freaked over this and will set it a side for a day or two until I calm down a bit more before I continue on with the weatherting .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh man what a bummer. Got a Fw 190 all painted up and ready to decal, but the decals exploded when I put them into water.

Wonder if the acid in the decal solution reacted with the dull coat?

Hi Mark . now that I can relate to . I'm sure most of us have had that before and nothing is more frustrating when the decals decide to go all crazy .

I don't think it was the decal setting solution , didn't have to use any . They are very thin and confroumed to the suurface very well . But something sure did cause a reaction .

After a few days I will sand the decals and weathering the on the heavy side which in turn more will have to be done with the rest of the aircraft .
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 436 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC
Terri,

Have you considered really going over the top (so to speak) on the weathering and doing one that has sat in some field for years after the war? Kind of like all the US stuff down in the desert......... Could even toss in some spare parts laying around or that Kubelwagen you never finished... (we all have one, admit it)...

T Minus 5 and counting....

Bob
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

Have you considered really going over the top (so to speak) on the weathering and doing one that has sat in some field for years after the war? Kind of like all the US stuff down in the desert......... Could even toss in some spare parts laying around or that Kubelwagen you never finished... (we all have one, admit it)...

T Minus 5 and counting....

Well I don't have any spare parts and have no armor at all . I will apply a few more coats of future over the damaged decals ( heavy coats ) in hope that it will seal them better . I did do some sanding on them to remove the wrinkles and then will do a pin wash for the panel lines then out comes the pastels . Will have pic's up in a few days on the progress of this .

Bob

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:54 AM UTC
Another four coats of future went on the decals , might be over kill with this but I don't want any more damage done them . Dull coat has been sprayed just waiting for that to dry then on to the weathering . Will have pic's up very soon .
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC
Ouch.. I had a similar issue once when I used Krylon as a varnish. the decals crazed just like yours but I had done several coats of Klear/Future before applying the Krylon. i never did find out why it crazed like it did though.
NickTurney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
When I've used Bare Metal foil for masking I was able to clear the residue from the canopy with WD40.

Hope it helps,

Nick
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:39 AM UTC
Terri, I guess we may have to put those decals in with old Academy decals for problems! Why oh why don't manufactures pay attention to their decal quality! It ruins a kit after all that work! I've been there I know! Try and get them off and order some after market ones is my advice. Sometimes a model just doesn't want to be finished. That's a poor joke but all I could manage. Sorry again. Russell
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ouch.. I had a similar issue once when I used Krylon as a varnish. the decals crazed just like yours but I had done several coats of Klear/Future before applying the Krylon. i never did find out why it crazed like it did though.

I'm really puzzled by this , been using this method for a long time now and not once did I have this occur What is even weirder is it only did it to a few of them .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I've used Bare Metal foil for masking I was able to clear the residue from the canopy with WD40.

Hope it helps,

Nick

Thanks Nick . I have tried that as well . I think I left it on for to long and the adhevies etch itself into the plastic ?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri, I guess we may have to put those decals in with old Academy decals for problems! Why oh why don't manufactures pay attention to their decal quality! It ruins a kit after all that work! I've been there I know! Try and get them off and order some after market ones is my advice. Sometimes a model just doesn't want to be finished. That's a poor joke but all I could manage. Sorry again. Russell

All in good humor Russell . I think the decals were fine . The laid really well and were easy to work into the panel lines so I really can't give them a bad rating and I have never built a Academy kit's before little lone use their decals , but from what I have read here on the site they seem to be a hit and miss .

I'm sure the model wants to finished . It just hasn't been a very good few weeks for me now .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Guy's . Weathering the stop side started . Here are the results so far .
No oil wash was used , The weathering was done with pastel chalks and a pencil . Will start the under side tomorrow .